PDA

View Full Version : design your own cables?

Mariblue
01-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Hello all, I am fairly new to knitting, but am finding that I really love cables. I can't get enough of looking at some of the beautiful patterns that are out there. I have a very basic knowledge of cables, but was wondering, are there any books or websites that teach you what you need to know to come up with your own cable designs?
I've looked at "Cables Untangled" by Melissa Leapman, which looks like a beautiful book, but I don't know if it actually gives you the knowledge you need to be able to come up with your own designs. Or whether a good cable stitch dictionary would be all that was needed.
Any insights would be much appreciated!

nadja la claire
01-28-2007, 06:52 PM
The Vogue Stitchionary Vol.2 is a great resource. If you decide to get it, order it from KP because they have a very good price for it.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

janelanespaintbrush
01-28-2007, 06:54 PM
This (http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/11/technickety_how_to_unvent_a_si.html) is not exactly what you're looking for, but I think it might be informative.

Mariblue
01-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Thank you Nadja and Jane! :muah:
It's good to know that the Vogue Stitchionary is good, I had been looking at that one as well.
Also, that link was so helpful, Jane! I plan on making up some swatches of different cables just so I can learn the techniques, and taking the time to deconstruct a couple of cable designs would be really good for me in learning how to create my own.
Mariblue