View Full Version : Help identifying yarn/ribbon needed

01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Help - Scarf I saw “somewhere.”

I am trying to locate a picture and/or can someone please identify for me the name of this type of scarf. What I’m trying to do is determine what type of yarn/ribbon to purchase.

From memory - let’s see - if this can help you help me find it. :)

The scarf casts on a few rows of garter stitches. THEN knit a stitch and then add on 3 more (can’t think of proper term - not knit but wrapped around). Then on the next row the first stitch is knit and the last two wraps are pulled down - makes for a long ribbon type effect.

Can anyone help me? I know I’m not very clear with my description.

01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
how about this (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/)? scroll down a bit and loook for elongated stitch.

01-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Do you mean a dropped stitch? :shrug: I mean the ones done on purpose, not the ones that happen on accident! :teehee: :wink:

Something like this (http://www.craftlog.org/craftlog/archives/dropscarf.jpg) or this (http://www.thedevilmakeswork.co.uk/images/Rainbow%20Drop%20Stitch.JPG) or this (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/images/clapotisFRONT.jpg) or this (http://www.chrisbylsmadesigns.com/ladderscarf_bigger.html)? If so, these are all drop stitch knitted items. You can use any type of yarn, not just ribbon yarn...I just made myself a dropped stitch shawl with bulky boucle yarn.

Pink Dandelion
01-29-2007, 04:04 PM
In the pattern section there's a thread for a scarf done in the elongated stitch HERE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=374&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Several people have posted pictures of their finished ones in that thread - is that what you're talking about?
Places like Joann's and Michaels tend to have a nice selection of the different types of novelty yarns used for that kind of scarf.

01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks SO MUCH everyone. Loved having the links to the pictures and the threads. These photos are all different than the first one I saw - which was working with a ribbon type “yarn.” These, however, have opened up my eyes to all kinds of possibilities!!

Now I have a name for it - elongated stitch (or also one I like the “intentional dropped stitch)!

I am SO excited!!

Wanda be
P.S. Maybe I’ll even be able to show my Mom something new with this stitch :) (and she’s been knitting for close to 50 years)!!

Edited to add: And thanks for being able to decipher my very obscure description!

01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
is it the one where you actually tug the extra stitches out at the end to make a fringe? if it is, it's in the plymouth ribbon eros extreme... this (http://plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cPatterns.patternGallery&pattern_id=000138&yarn_id=000145#000138) is kinda sorta like the one i'm thinking off, but it's not quite as boa-ish... it's a free pattern with purchase one and it was the first 3 and last 3 stitches you did something with... i can find it if you think it might be it.

ETA: here (http://www.skeinlane.com/knittingresources/documents/EROSExtremeScarf.pdf) is a dropped stitch ribbon one, still not the one i'm talking about though. ;-)

01-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Cookworm’s links are what I was looking for. And the others are all great too! Thanks to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it!