PDA

View Full Version : What's your knitting story?

Aquaria
01-30-2007, 05:55 AM
I just remembered the first time I learned to knit and I actually laughed at it. :roflhard: So I decided to share and maybe hear about some of you guys' knitting experiences when u first learn to knit :teehee: Let's have some fun! So, here goes my story.

My mom bought me some yarns from a second hand store someday last year. I asked for yarns just because I was trying to make a mixed-media artwork. But somehow I got curious about how to knit and found a knitting video on the net. I didn't have knitting needles, so guess what, I used two pencil crayons instead :rofl: I still remember how I was struggling to slip the stitches on the pencil crayons, and how long it took for me to make every single stitches with those thick crayons :roflhard: And the fabric turned out horrible lol, it had huge loops of uneven stitches and was partially coloured by the crayons :lol: Yet I became very addicted in knitting and my mom decided to buy me some knitting needles. Even later on, I did a lot of things like this :frog: , but I enjoyed knitting.

That was long lol, so what's your story?

Lieke
01-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Well, I started knitting, because I love really long scarves. They were for sale all over the netherlands, but all in wool or wool-blends. I really really really wanted a long scarf, so I decided that if I wanted one, I should knit it myself. On a craft-fair, I bought some thick cotton and knitted a long scarf. I loved the scarf and loved the knitting. Although I loved it, I didn't knit for 2 years after that. Then I decided it was time for a new scarf and bought acrylic on the same craft-fair. After I bought the acrylic, I found some really awsome stand with a nice way to knit a scarf. They used 8 strands of different colors of really thin acrylic at the same time. I loved how it looked, and decided I wanted THAT scarf. So there I was, with 10 skeins of acrylic I wasn't going to use for a scarf. That's when I decided I'd love a sweater in those colors as well, so after I finished the scarf, I knitted a sweater for myself. It took really long, but after that, I was really addicted to knitting and I haven't stopped ever since.

psammeadred
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
The summer after I graduated from college, I had a hard time finding a job. I was rather depressed, so I decided to take up a hobby to make myself feel better. Knitting sounded like a good idea, so I went to the library, picked up a book, bought a skein of Red Heart Super Saver (country blue), a size H (I think) crochet hook, and a set of size 8 straight needles. I picked up crochet faster, but I like knitting better!

bip
01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
When I was about 2 years old, my mom got out of the shower to find that I had wound her yarn around every doorknob, chair, lamp and end table in the house. From then on, I always loved string and knots.

I resisted learning to knit for all the standard reasons. I'm too young, I don't have time for another hobby, I'm a professional woman with a master's degree and I don't do mindless, domestic tasks. The usual stereotypes.

About three years ago, my dad donated DH a kidney and when my parents came out for the surgery, my mom made me learn. What could I say? Thanks for the kidney, but there's no way I'm letting you teach me to knit. So I caved. It was honestly the least I could do. She even showed me the SNB books to "prove" that cool, young people knit too. Sure mom, whatever! :roll: I wasn't buying it.

As you might imagine, the joke was on me. I haven't put my needles down in three years. Now, when my mom has a knitting question, she calls me. Now I pity people who don't knit instead of people who do :) And to people who think they are too hip, too young, too "busy" to knit? Fine, more yarn for me!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

auburnchick
01-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Last summer, after finishing a very detailed cross-stitch that I had worked on for about three years, I went to HL to select a frame for my completed project. I wanted to try something different -- something practical. I took a peek at the knitting section of the store, bought my first needles, yarn, and how-to book. I finished the first pattern (dish cloth) that night and was hooked (wrong "hobby", I know... :teehee: )

of troy
01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
i have been knitting more than 45 years, (since the age of 8 or so)

my mother knit, but she wasn't a good teacher, and i basiclly taught myself by watching her.. (the result is i knit almost completely opposite her!) she knit english lever style, i knit combo.

by age 9, i was teaching myself fair isle (in the round) i wasn't all that good, but i got better.

i never gave up knitting (i just posted on my blog today about knitting needles, some of mine are rather old-- (still in original packages, with prices like 60 cents, or $1.25 for a circular needle)--but there have been years when i have knit very little..

Lately, i have been knitting a lot!

Aquaria
01-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Wow, these are great stories! :teehee: Seems like knitting has this sort of magic that can automatically make a person who's not interested in knitting become absolutely addicted to knitting :rofl:

bip
01-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Funny you should say magic. I taught a friend of mine to knit about a year ago. She has a Phd and is a cancer biologist. Recently she declared to me that as much as she knits, it is still like magic to her. How does pulling that loop through another loop make socks? Cables? Sweaters? I love it, here is a person who spends her life figuring out how cancer cells work, and she can understand the most complicated biological processes and discover things about them that we didn't know before. But knitting has her awestruck.

I think she likes it that way, because if anyone is able to understand knitting mechanically and scientifically, its her. But who really wants to lift up that curtain? To kill the golden goose? Not us, we just want our needles to work their magic! I'm gonna cast those two socks on one needle, follow those directions and viola! Two socks emerge.

They say kowledge is power, but I think we all need a little magic in our lives. That's power, right?

CarmenIbanez
01-30-2007, 05:56 PM
I've told my story a million times, but I love to repeat it. My dog was born on January 23, 2003 and it was going to be six weeks until I could bring her home. I was so excited I could hardly stand it. So I taught myself to knit, in order to keep me busy and preoccupied. I knitted her blankets and sweaters. Then my sister's step mom saw the sweaters and asked me to make some for her to sell in her shop, so I did. I have since branched out to things other than for my dog. I am a true addict! Now I have to post a picture of my baby in one of her sweaters....

Jessica Cobb
01-30-2007, 05:56 PM
About a year ago a friend of mine started to knit because she wanted to make a scarf for her Mother on Christmas. I was interested in knitting, but never took the time to learn. I always said "ohh I'm too busy, I won't have time." So long story short, here we are a year later and I had a sudden urge to start knitting. I bought some yarn, a few pairs of different sized needles, and some other little things necessary in completing a project and I taught my self to knit along with the help of Amy's video on this site! Now my friend is busy planning a wedding, and I am the one knitting! I'm addicted!

Aquaria
01-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I've told my story a million times, but I love to repeat it. My dog was born on January 23, 2003 and it was going to be six weeks until I could bring her home. I was so excited I could hardly stand it. So I taught myself to knit, in order to keep me busy and preoccupied. I knitted her blankets and sweaters. Then my sister's step mom saw the sweaters and asked me to make some for her to sell in her shop, so I did. I have since branched out to things other than for my dog. I am a true addict! Now I have to post a picture of my baby in one of her sweaters....

Your dog is adorable! :heart: it must be really warm and cozy wearing those blankets, etc. that u made for it!

Lol I agree with you bip, we all need a little bit of magic at some points of our lives.

Mulderknitter
01-30-2007, 07:21 PM
my stepdad bought me for my birthday a few years back a skein of awful pink yarn, the stitch n bitch book, and 2 chopsticks. :roflhard: I tried for a few months and got sooooo frustrated. Then my anxiety disorder got kinda bad and I needed something to distract myself from myself so I took it up again. Turns out knitting is the best medication for anxietey disorders that I've found... keeps your mind focused on something and you can figure out a material problem instead of sitting and worrying about your own problems. :hug: Turns out now I can't remember what I used to do when I watched tv before :shrug:

efsaturn
01-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Bip, loved your story.

Isn't it funny how closed minded we can be sometimes and that we don't know what we don't know. I think I had this same mindset to, but I just saw so many women knitting that I figured this would be one hobby that was transportable unlike my machine embroidery and sewing. So glad I opened my mind a little.

jjminarcik
01-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I had always wanted to learn, but didn't know anyone that knit who could teach me. I was suffering through a rough bout with depression and anxiety and needed a distraction. So I bought some needles & yarn, found this site, and taught myself.

And Mulderknitter: I can totally relate to it being great for anxiety disorders. I know anytime I get worked up about something I can sit and knit for even just 5 minutes and I feel so much better. :thumbsup:

gypsygirl
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Both my mother and grandmother (and for all I know on back through the generations) were knitters. I have this great memory of family road trips with my dad driving and my mum lounging with her bare feet out the window, knitting.

I first learned when I was about eleven and was cast as a grandmother in a school play. I decided I needed some onstage business and got my mother to teach me to knit. It wasn't until about three years later, though, when my first nephew was born and I wanted to make him a sweater, that I took it up seriously.

misha rf
01-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Awww, Carmen, your doggie is so cute!!

I had a coworker at my previous job (in NY) who knit during lunch. We had a cafeteria, and if we had lunch at the same time, I'd sit with her. I admired her skill, and asked her if she'd teach me. I was somewhat intimidated--I'm totally uncoordinated, and can be a little dyslexic reading instructions (please don't ever ask me to assemble any furniture if you want it done within a year).

Over the MLK weekend last year, she brought me to her knitting group (a bunch of us who'd gone to library school together). She bought me kiddie needles (the little plastic ones with the kitty heads) and some purple Caron yarn. I learned how to cast on and knit that day. Purling came at lunch a few weeks later. I started knitting at lunch, and then another coworker started knitting at lunch...and then we moved.

I've only recently started the increasing /decreasing stuff--partially from a class I recently took, and partially from help on this forum :muah:

Birdy
01-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally my Grand-mother tried to teach me as I was the only Grand-child deemed suitable enough. :shrug: She was a very interesting lady and I am not sure what made her decide that.

But I was about 6 and lets just say, she likely cast on 25 stitches and I made it into a row of about 60 stitches in 5 mins or so.

She kept at me for about 2 hours apparently until we had a huge scream at each other. And that was the end of it... or so I thought.

She left me her knitting needle collection when she died. I wasn't very appreciative of it.

About 10 years later, after my daughter's birth... I wanted this sweater, bought a book with written directions and taught myself. That was 5 years ago...

madametj
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
A.C Moore had just opened up in my area and way the biggest yarn-carrying store around. I luved it for all my other crafts ( needlepoint, wookburning, braiding, etc.) and i saw a "learn to knit" kit. I had a really cheap and ugly looking cover, but i picked it up decided that it would b cool to learn to knit.

The project was a scarf with a boa trim. these ppl expected me to learn on eyelash yarn :whoosh: . i said "forget that" :roll: picked up the worsted weight yarn, and learned the cast on pretty quickly. i was so proud cus it looked nice and neat :). the knitting intructions were really crappy so i just threw the box in the closet and it stayed there four like four months until this 12-year-old from my church spent the night. she's the kinda person who doesn't even know she invading personal space so next thing i know she emerging from the closet with the box telling me that she can teach me. she did (badly) and i learn that i found making fabric with just one string is fascinating! :heart:

DreamWeaver
01-30-2007, 11:01 PM
HeeHee, I love telling this story...

I learned how to knit a little more than a year ago at Christmas. You see, my mom passed in October, 2005 and I was devistated. I tried to take my mind off it and engaged in lots of hobbies, including drawing (no talent), painting (too messy), crafts (yeah... let's not get into me with a hot glue gun), and other things like that. My sister tired to get me into video games like she was, but I just wan't into it. I was in my local craft store looking for embrodary thread (I was into embrodery) and I passed by a learn to knit kit. That day in the car I told my dad that it might be cool to learn how to knit, and we went home.

A couple months passed and I forgot about it, but then my dad bought me a learn to knit kit for Christmas and I fell in lurve. I played around with acrylic yarn, making shapless garter stich blobs, and I kinda droped it (I feel ashamed).

Last summer I was stuck at home with NOTHING TO DO. I was looking through my room and found some of my old needles and yarn. I figured 'what the heck?' and went on my computer to find a knitting refresher website. I found an awsome website with how-to video's, not just hard to read intructions, and then I found the website had a forum with a bunch of awsome ladies

Luv ya, KH :muah:

GrandmaLori
01-31-2007, 12:58 AM
My mom taught me when I was about 8. I always made hot pads, I could finish those. That was 40 years ago, I can't believe it. I can also remember mom knitting on family road trips, and I always thought she was working so SLOWLY. Recently she gave me her old sets of Boye interchangeables, and I use them a lot. THey have some nice short cords that are hard to find in stores.

I have taught my niece, my oldest daughter, and my youngest daughter (age 10) to knit. THe ones I couldn't teach are my daughter-in-law, who's a lefty, and My 2 middle daughters (the TEENAGERS) who refuse to try.

I think the left-handed knitter would succeed better with the other method (I get the 2 names mixed up, I mean controlling the yarn with her left hand) I just couldn't teach her what I don't know.

Mrs. Columbo
01-31-2007, 01:33 AM
I love these knitting stories .... we did the same thing on our bearmaking forum .....

They say when you reach a certain age you start doing things you never expected to be doing ..... well I must be at "that age" ... my boss taught me how to knit in 1982 and I made one of those big bulky Lopi sweaters that were all the rage then ... yellow with brown at the top .... it was to fit me, a 36 bust and it ended up being around a 52 inch chest .... it could have fit two or three people my size in there quite comfortably .... it was down to my knees, the sleeves were oh so long and the neck, well it was slightly shall I say "revealing" ... ok, no one told me about a gauge swatch!!

Showed my mother ... she said "well it IS a tad big" ... a TAD??? ... well I don't recall my mom learning how to knit (but she told me that she learned as a child, her mom would let her knit on her socks) .. I do remember her making Phentex slippers for everyone she could think of ..... so I gave the grande sized sweater over to mom and she redid into something that fit and I wore the brown and yellow sweater for some time (I have no idea why) plus the toque she knit to match (with pom pom on the top) ..... it's a wonder I ever made any friends ...

I've always liked it but after that experience I just didn't take it up again ... we found out that we are expecting our first grandbaby, a boy on March 14th so I thought what better reason to learn to knit little clothes? I have bought a couple of small how to knit books but what I have trouble with is reading abbreviations and knowing how to do them. I learn best by having someone show me ...... maybe it's something about the social aspect that you just don't get from the printed page ...... I mean it can't have coffee with you or tell you what you are doing wrong .... I bought and have read Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's book "Knitting Rules" and if you have read it, I am "Emma" in her book ..... didn't do a guage swatch and ended up with a house cozy. :??

I used to crochet baby blankets years ago but have semi forgotten ..... I have been making jointed mohair teddy bears for 12 years and I also do cross stitch but haven't done that in a couple of years .. many many UFO's there ... :teehee:

Toby

orcoastknitter
01-31-2007, 02:49 AM

I did something sorta like that when I was waiting for my puppy.

But first my knitting story. I wanted to learn to knit for a few years, but never had the time to learn. I was working and living in California and most of my time was spent working and commuting to work.

After I moved to Oregon and my life slowed down a bit and few years went by by (5 actually). I decided to teach myself with one of those kits from Lion Brand, well it didn't work out as good as I hoped. It lasted for about 10 minutes. Then I found a little shop down the road from my house that offered knitting lessons. I talked to the shop owner and she said they had lessons on Saturday mornings. But she warned me that mainly the little girls are taught during this time, but I am more than welcomed to join if I want. Well there I was at her shop on Saturday morning sitting with a bunch of 10 yo girls and a funny little english woman teaching us to knit. It was a blast. Have been knitting for over a year now.

Now my puppy story.... When I was waiting for my puppy to come home, I decided to knit an afghan for my breeder. It was my very first afghan (haven't made one since). I called it "waiting for puppy blanket". When I went to pick up my puppy, I gave her the afghan. She was in total shock! I told her this will be a thank you gift, because I will be bugging her with all sorts of questions while my puppy is growin up. Here is a picture of the afghan (see another use for treadmills) and my puppy.

raederle
01-31-2007, 04:52 AM
I love this thread!
And I see so many commonalities with my own story. It seems some people pick it up, put it down, pick it up again, and it's all okay.

I am vague on how old I was when I first learned. 7? 8? 9? I do remember the sofa I learned on, at my grandmother's house on Cape Cod. She is a great knitter, and I must have pestered her to learn. I don't know what my first project was, probably a swatch bigger than bookmark and smaller than a scarf. She gave me some extra needles and some old yarn, and I have a project bag which is so tacky, and the well-worn "Learn to Knit" book that I re-taught myself several times with, as I would forget how and several years later try again. Gauge was an unknown concept, and I have the bear paw mitten to prove it. I remember buying cheap yarn at Jo-Ann's several times. Dye lots? What are those? And no, my little cousin never got his baby sweater, despite my careful measurements when I was in high school. I got to about chest high with a front and back and then stopped for a decade+ before I unravelled the yarn, as he was much too big for that UFO. I did make some mittens, and some hats in college.
I found this REAL yarn shop downtown in my home town and got a skein of Colinette hand-dyed chenille yarn (luxurious black with purple and blue highlights, scrumptious!), and was spoiled for cheap yarn thereafter. I made my sister a scarf for Christmas with it one slow December at the law library, and have hated myself for giving it away ever since, as there obviously was no more of that color when I went back. Instead, I got a different color and made myself a scarf twice as long as I am tall, which was supposed to be much, much wider.

But I got serious about knitting when I was pregnant with my son, May 2005. I wanted to do it right, and went to the only real yarn shop in this city I live in now. The shop owner was extremely patient with me, even though I had a) no clue what I was doing b) crazy ambitions c) prejudices but no patterns. I wanted "real yarn" but had no idea what weight, let alone that there were differences. I wanted a simple pattern, and had no idea what I would need for yardages. She could've blown a headgasket, but instead she was kind and slow for my benefit. In my defense, I did bring examples of finished objects to show her, so she'd know what level of project I was capable of.
So I ended up buying some Sirdar Snuggly chunky in cream (didn't want to make it in the wrong color---ultrasounds can be wrong!!!) and made the Baby Blocks blanket as found in The Shop on Blosson Street by Debbie Macomber. There were severe modifications, as I made my gauge swatch wrong, but it was completely finished before he was born in October. I also bought some aqua acrylic fingering weight baby yarn and never could get my gauge right for a hat. I made two pair of thumbless mitts which were too small, and my first pair of socks, which didn't fit my son the day he was born. I love the color of that yarn, but I have no patience for that weight.

Since then, my knitting book collection, pattern collection, and yarn stash have grown exponentially.

I call myself a project slut, as I am thoroughly polygamous when it comes to projects. I have too many to count in various stages of incompletion.
From patterns printed out to yarn bought, to actually on needles, I am doomed. I actually do finish some projects sometimes, and I have a baby bib modified from the Baby Feet dishcloth pattern that needs to get wrapped and delivered to the intended recipient before I re-purpose it elsewhere!

I also took a crochet class last summer, and finally got it, as the crochet book that is the contemporary of my Learn to Knit pamphlet always left me baffled with a long chain of yarn off my hook. I recently finished seaming up the Sock Monkey afghan from the Happy Hooker, by the same author as SNB. Now, I just have to do the three borders and weave in all my ends *groan*

It was also fairly ridiculous to make my 15 month old son thumbless mittens. Especially with chunky yarn on size 13 needles. And a honeycomb cable pattern. His little fingers poke right through my stitches, and he flings them within seconds as he can't pick anything up with them on. And, who ordered snow in El Paso four+ times this month, hmmmmm? Cuz if I find out who, you're gonna get it.

So the project that gets most of my limited mother-to-a-shrieking-streaking-toddler attention is a pair of mittens for him in wool (not acrylic, though it was so soft) worsted weight on size 7 DPNs, that has this great hand-dyed dark green variegation thing going. I'm decreasing for the top and have the thumb still to do, and hope not to get "Second Mitten Syndrome" (someday I will finish my FIRST adult sock, let alone the second) and figure out the right number of stitches to cast on for the matching hat, since I have unravelled it more than twice.

That is MY Learn to Knit epic, what's yours?

emily

Aquaria
01-31-2007, 05:17 AM

I did something sorta like that when I was waiting for my puppy.

But first my knitting story. I wanted to learn to knit for a few years, but never had the time to learn. I was working and living in California and most of my time was spent working and commuting to work.

After I moved to Oregon and my life slowed down a bit and few years went by by (5 actually). I decided to teach myself with one of those kits from Lion Brand, well it didn't work out as good as I hoped. It lasted for about 10 minutes. Then I found a little shop down the road from my house that offered knitting lessons. I talked to the shop owner and she said they had lessons on Saturday mornings. But she warned me that mainly the little girls are taught during this time, but I am more than welcomed to join if I want. Well there I was at her shop on Saturday morning sitting with a bunch of 10 yo girls and a funny little english woman teaching us to knit. It was a blast. Have been knitting for over a year now.

Now my puppy story.... When I was waiting for my puppy to come home, I decided to knit an afghan for my breeder. It was my very first afghan (haven't made one since). I called it "waiting for puppy blanket". When I went to pick up my puppy, I gave her the afghan. She was in total shock! I told her this will be a thank you gift, because I will be bugging her with all sorts of questions while my puppy is growin up. Here is a picture of the afghan (see another use for treadmills) and my puppy.

Your dog is really absolutely adorable, too! :heart: :heart: :teehee:

I agree raederle, funny how many people kind of actually picked up knitting after a few times of giving up. I guess it's that sort of ''magic'' of knitting again isn't it? :rofl:

auburnchick
01-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Wow, Emily! What a story! Hang in there...you'll get to socks...eventually. :teehee: Sounds like you've got your hands full with your son, so just enjoy him for now. Don't worry about projects that are too complicated...

I like to have one project at a time on the needles. I find myself more focused this way and more apt to finish. I can think of several things I would like to have going, but my reward is finishing one project and moving on to the next. I don't think I've ever completely frogged a project. I just check my needles frequently.

I am really enjoying reading what inspired everyone to get started (the first, second, 30th times :teehee: ).

DianaM
01-31-2007, 01:17 PM
My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was 9.
I learned pretty fast and she thought about teaching me to knit, but she was very strict about correcting my mistakes, so I dropped it.

I continued to concentrate on crochet only, until I turned 26. I was working as a caregiver and cook at a nursing home. One day, I went to check my mailbox at work, to find a knitting magazine.

Apparently one of the girls had been cleaning residents' rooms and found it in the trash. Knowing I liked crocheting, she put it in my mailbox.

I leafed through it during my break. It had patterns for knit hats and even a sock knitting tutorial. My curiosity got picked and I bought a pair of needles and started playing around with the stitches. Then I found this site and the rest is histery....I mean, history :teehee:

hunterjenn
02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Funny how many of us started because we had someone to knit *for*. :D

I started a few weeks before my SIL gave birth to her little one. I couldn't find any really pretty sweaters (I'm reeeeeally picky), so I figured--what the heck? I bet I can make something cuter than everything I'm seeing in stores! So I, who previously had no interest in knitting, went to Jo-Anns and bought a book of intermediate sweater patterns. LOL!

I made a beautiful cream-colored cardigan with a tulip lace pattern ( :frog: ) and twisted picot trim out of Microspun, and finished up the seaming and buttons while we waited for my SIL to come home from the hospital! It pays to be too dumb to know when something's supposed to be "hard!" :rofl:

landolphe
02-02-2007, 04:31 AM
I posted this to another thread here a while back, but since it's on topic, here it is again:

Hmm, I recall having watched (with interest) my mother and grandmother knitting back when, but for whatever reason it did not capture my imagination at that time. Later,the woman in my life used to knit (English style), and I can recall my having not grasped it intuitively. But, for several reasons, I wanted to learn.

In 1982, while skiing in Vermont, I wandered into a knitting shop owned by an elderly Austrian woman, where I watched her knitting Continental style. All at once, the penny fell; all was immediately clear; I got it on the spot. She set me up with a #9 circular needle, a coupla colors of wool yarn, and handwritten instructions for making a two color, horizontal striped wall hanging. I returned to the lodge, planted myself in front of the fire, and dug in. A few hours and several glasses of wine later, I had a wall hanging. I was AMAZED that I had actually done it, had created "something" out of "nothing." Went out in the snow, tromped around the woods, found a suitable stick, and mounted my prize wall hanging.

Next morning at 0-dark-thirty I was back at the knitting shop. She wrote out a pattern for a ski hat; outfitted me with my very own 16" US 9 circular needle (which I still have) and assorted wool yarns (" ... always knit only with wool") and three books by Elizabeth Zimmermann; made me swear on her grandmother's knitted washrag that I would never ever knit the "American" way, would always avoid straight needles, knit EVERYTHING on circular needles; and would celebrate Elizabeth Zimmermann's birthday forever. That was it. I was hooked (bad crochet metaphor).

Aquaria
02-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Funny how many of us started because we had someone to knit *for*. :D

I started a few weeks before my SIL gave birth to her little one. I couldn't find any really pretty sweaters (I'm reeeeeally picky), so I figured--what the heck? I bet I can make something cuter than everything I'm seeing in stores! So I, who previously had no interest in knitting, went to Jo-Anns and bought a book of intermediate sweater patterns. LOL!

I made a beautiful cream-colored cardigan with a tulip lace pattern ( :frog: ) and twisted picot trim out of Microspun, and finished up the seaming and buttons while we waited for my SIL to come home from the hospital! It pays to be too dumb to know when something's supposed to be "hard!" :rofl:

How lovely! :hug: (both the baby and the sweater)
Wow, I can't believe that more storie are coming up! they are all awesome stories guys! :teehee:

VictoiseC
02-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Amazing stories! What a sweet read. Landolphe, you have inspired me to make a wall hanging. I've never done that, it sounds like too much fun!
I want a BIG one of course so I'll really have to think about colors etc.
And did you use only WOOL for your wall hangings??? :teehee:

LOVE THE DOGGY PICTURES

Why oh why can't I remember when and where I learned to knit? I'm sitting here racking me old brain.
It's like I have a BLOCK going on. My mum wouldn't go near handcrafted doings that's for sure. Rejection of old world stuff. Swinging 60s. My grandma crocheted a little, slippers, and her sister in Czechoslovakia sent bunches of things over that I now have. I even have a needlepoint pillow of a bridge in Prague. But she didn't teach me.

I don't think they taught knitting in school did they? Well, anyhow, all I can remember is I was knitting a sweater about 12 years ago, when my husband and I bought our house in the mountains (we also live in Manhattan). We came up during the winter to close on the house and on the way home (oh this is a completely off the wall knitting story since I can't remember when I learned to knit, maybe this will help) ... and we were driving back to the city and this heavy duty MAJOR FOG rolled in. I was knitting on the sweater and all of a sudden we were in the fog, couldn't see a foot in front of us
and then there's a STOPPED car in front of us. We were going 60.
DH managed to swerve the car, we bounded out and onto the side of the road, then the babumps babump boom boom booms started...
turned out it was a 70 car pile up.
So. For some reason, ? I didn't knit again for 10 years. And, I wouldn't work on that sweater! It had only half a sleeve to go, it was cotton and beach colors, pale blue and pale yellow.... It laid around for a long time unfinished, I lost the pattern, couldn't figure out how to finish the sleeve. (another block) My friend from Venezuela visited with his mother and she took it back... to Venezuela finished the sleeve, and sent it to me!
The Sweater with a History.

Then, the story goes on. My friend of 82 years old had a fire in his Greenwich village apartment. I went down to help him, he was sitting in his pajamas on the stoop, in a daze. We got him cleaned up, then started in on his belongings. At the end of the day, the super, a super duper woman named Barbara who attends all the Stitches shows and sells beautiful knitting bags she makes, for some reason, thrust this Eros ribbon yarn in my hands and said, "You should make a scarf out of this, I sell them for $75" They're beautiful. Oh you'll need some needles, use these, wood's best with Eros." She charged me $20 for two skeins and I thought she was just in to make some money off me. That was 3 years ago and I haven't stopped knitting since. (thank you Barbara)

Whew. Ok I'm done. But who the heck TAUGHT me!!!! ???

:??

VictoiseC
02-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Amazing stories! What a sweet read. THANKS AQUARIA!!!

Landolphe, you have inspired me to make a wall hanging. I've never done that, it sounds like too much fun!
I think I want a BIG one of course so I'll really have to think about colors etc. (but maybe it doesn't have to be too big, do you have any pictures of yours?) And did you use only WOOL for your wall hangings??? :teehee:

LOVE THE DOGGY PICTURES

My favorite line: Now I pity people who don't knit instead of people who do. I'm with ya there Bip!

Why oh why can't I remember when and where I learned to knit? I'm sitting here racking me old brain.
It's like I have a BLOCK going on. My mum wouldn't go near handcrafted doings that's for sure. Rejection of old world stuff. Swinging 60s. My grandma crocheted a little, slippers, and her sister in Czechoslovakia sent bunches of things over that I now have. I even have a needlepoint pillow of a bridge in Prague. But she didn't teach me.

I don't think they taught knitting in school did they? Well, anyhow, all I can remember is I was knitting a sweater about 12 years ago, (and I honestly can't remember anything else I knitted besides that) when my husband and I bought our house in the mountains (we also live in Manhattan). We came up during the winter to close on the house and on the way home (oh this is a completely off the wall knitting story since I can't remember when I learned to knit, maybe this will help) ... and we were driving back to the city and this heavy duty MAJOR FOG rolled in. I was knitting on the sweater and all of a sudden we were in the fog, couldn't see a foot in front of us
DH managed to swerve the car, we bounded out and onto the side of the road, then the babumps babump boom boom booms started...
So. For some reason, ? I didn't knit again for 10 years. And, I wouldn't work on that sweater! It had only half a sleeve to go, it was cotton and beach colors, pale blue and pale yellow.... It laid around for a long time unfinished, I lost the pattern, couldn't figure out how to finish the sleeve. (another block) My friend from Venezuela visited with his mother and she took it back... to Venezuela finished the sleeve, and sent it to me!

Then, the story goes on. My friend of 82 years old had a fire in his Greenwich village apartment. I went down to help him, he was sitting in his pajamas on the stoop, in a daze. We got him cleaned up, then started in on his belongings. At the end of the day, the super, a super duper woman named Barbara who attends all the Stitches shows and sells beautiful knitting bags she makes, for some reason, thrust this Eros ribbon yarn in my hands and said, "You should make a scarf out of this, I sell them for $75. They're beautiful. Oh you'll need some needles, use these, wood's best with Eros." She charged me $20 for two skeins and I thought she was just in to make some money off me. That was 3 years ago and I haven't stopped knitting since. (thank you Barbara)

Aquaria
02-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Amazing stories! What a sweet read. THANKS AQUARIA!!!

Landolphe, you have inspired me to make a wall hanging. I've never done that, it sounds like too much fun!
I think I want a BIG one of course so I'll really have to think about colors etc. (but maybe it doesn't have to be too big, do you have any pictures of yours?) And did you use only WOOL for your wall hangings??? :teehee:

LOVE THE DOGGY PICTURES

My favorite line: Now I pity people who don't knit instead of people who do. I'm with ya there Bip!

I don't think they taught knitting in school did they? Well, anyhow, all I can remember is I was knitting a sweater about 12 years ago, (and I honestly can't remember anything else I knitted besides that) when my husband and I bought our house in the mountains (we also live in Manhattan). We came up during the winter to close on the house and on the way home (oh this is a completely off the wall knitting story since I can't remember when I learned to knit, maybe this will help) ... and we were driving back to the city and this heavy duty MAJOR FOG rolled in. I was knitting on the sweater and all of a sudden we were in the fog, couldn't see a foot in front of us

Then, the story goes on. My friend of 82 years old had a fire in his Greenwich village apartment. I went down to help him, he was sitting in his pajamas on the stoop, in a daze. We got him cleaned up, then started in on his belongings. At the end of the day, the super, a super duper woman named Barbara who attends all the Stitches shows and sells beautiful knitting bags she makes, for some reason, thrust this Eros ribbon yarn in my hands and said, "You should make a scarf out of this, I sell them for $75. They're beautiful. Oh you'll need some needles, use these, wood's best with Eros." She charged me $20 for two skeins and I thought she was just in to make some money off me. That was 3 years ago and I haven't stopped knitting since. (thank you Barbara)

Interesting story there, too, VictoiseC! :)
That's such a special sweater you have there :teehee:

cheley
02-03-2007, 01:06 AM
O.K. here's mine..... :teehee: I was always a "40 hour plus worker a week, wanted children, didn't happen :-x :-x then, my precious neice was born (2002) to my brother and his wife (who already had teenage daughters) soooooo, guess who jumped in as surrogate mom :heart: :heart: now she's almost 5 (got guardianship about 6 months ago) and now I am a stay-at-home mom ( :wall: :wall: :wall: ) sooooo taught myself to crochet first :roflhard: :roflhard: then with the help of my elderly :heart: :heart: neighbor still tryin to knit...and quilt and stay sane!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

mari_13
02-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't know anyone who knits but I became intrigued with it. I was pregnant and was itching to get busy with something! I saw so many cute knit things for my coming baby that I decided to learn how to knit. I took a class at an expensive and far away LYS and learned NOTHING. Then I went to another LYS where a very patient store owner taught me how to knit beautifully. And the lessons were FREE as long as I bought yarn from her. Unfortunately she has since closed. My first knit item was a blanket for my son. It wasn't done til he was a month old! My DH and mom thought I would never truly get into knitting. Now they can't wait to see my next finished project!

Mari

Aquaria
02-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't know anyone who knits but I became intrigued with it. I was pregnant and was itching to get busy with something! I saw so many cute knit things for my coming baby that I decided to learn how to knit. I took a class at an expensive and far away LYS and learned NOTHING. Then I went to another LYS where a very patient store owner taught me how to knit beautifully. And the lessons were FREE as long as I bought yarn from her. Unfortunately she has since closed. My first knit item was a blanket for my son. It wasn't done til he was a month old! My DH and mom thought I would never truly get into knitting. Now they can't wait to see my next finished project!

Mari

How sweet! :teehee: I wish I had a store owner that would teach me for free, too! :rofl:

zip
03-25-2007, 04:31 PM
HeeHee, I love telling this story...

I learned how to knit a little more than a year ago at Christmas. You see, my mom passed in October, 2005 and I was devistated. I tried to take my mind off it and engaged in lots of hobbies, including drawing (no talent), painting (too messy), crafts (yeah... let's not get into me with a hot glue gun), and other things like that. My sister tired to get me into video games like she was, but I just wan't into it. I was in my local craft store looking for embrodary thread (I was into embrodery) and I passed by a learn to knit kit. That day in the car I told my dad that it might be cool to learn how to knit, and we went home.

A couple months passed and I forgot about it, but then my dad bought me a learn to knit kit for Christmas and I fell in lurve. I played around with acrylic yarn, making shapless garter stich blobs, and I kinda droped it (I feel ashamed).

Last summer I was stuck at home with NOTHING TO DO. I was looking through my room and found some of my old needles and yarn. I figured 'what the heck?' and went on my computer to find a knitting refresher website. I found an awsome website with how-to video's, not just hard to read intructions, and then I found the website had a forum with a bunch of awsome ladies

Luv ya, KH :muah:

I love that story. :heart:

I learned in home ec class about 700 years ago. ok, it was 32 years ago. The teacher hated me because I wasn't a cheerleader type - instead, I was an angry young woman. For good reason, but that's another story. She derived some twisted pleasure from humiliating me. One day, she held up a yellow swatch by my face and said to the class, "See? Ginger can't wear yellow." I could've cheerfully killed her. :roflhard: Ever since, I've embraced yellow as my favorite color and wear it from time to time.

I still consider myself a noob because I abandon the art for years at a time. Hopefully, this time, it'll stick.

Chel
03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm going to try not to make this a novel. Long story short: As corny as it sounds, Knitting saved my life.

I learned to crochet in the Girl Scouts when I was 7 or so. My rows came out uneven and I was teased by the other girls (my troup was a bit elitist)
I continued to crochet off and on for years, never being thrilled with what I made and always wishing to learn to knit but never having anyone to teach me.

Fast forward to 2005-I have a pretty decent life and a best friend of several years whom I couldn't possibly be closer to. A handsome funny wonderful guy. (did I mention handsome?) Daniel and I did everything together and were totally inseparable. Nearly 100% of our free time was spent together and we had the same interests-such as our Celtic hertiage-and really "got" each other. We could discuss anything and never worried about being judged or misunderstood. Ours was the perfect friendship.

One of our favorite escapes was to Ellicott City Md. Walking through the historic district one day I saw a sign that said "Celtic Knot Yarn Shop". I wanted to go in *just* because the name was Celtic Knot. :teehee: I browsed through all the yarns and was taken with some of them. Daniel eagerly explored the different fibers with me. He was great like that, always supportive no matter what my interest might be. A woman there asked me if I knit and I said no, but I always wanted to learn. She said, "Oh, you should go to knittinghelp.com!" I thanked her for the info and we left. (and went to lunch at Cacao Lane! :happydance:)

September 25th 2005 Daniel went to bed and died during the night of a massive heart attack. We went peacefully in his sleep, which I am immensely grateful for, but never the less, my world was shattered. It took a little over a month for me to seek professional help and I did so because, quite honestly I feared for my life. It wasn't so much that I wanted to die, I just didn't want to live. It was just that it hurt to move...think...breathe. My therapist suggested I start being social and I suggested never getting out of bed again... so as a compromise I would go to my local Borders Book store and read quietly amongst the living.

There was a woman there knitting one day and I mentioned that I was jealous. She asked why and I told her because I had always wanted to learn how to knit. She said, "Well, we have a knitting group. You should join." I was rather non-commital, but my therapist encouraged me. I agreed to attend the next meeting which would occur Jan 2, 2006.

In the coming days I lost my resolve but that changed when I had a dream. I dreamed that Daniel and I were in a museum and had gone up a set of stairs that no one else was on. They were huge and made of green marble. I was ahead of him on the landing and suddenly the floor started shaking. I laid down and was gripping at the floor as the walls started crumbling around me. Daniel was on the stairs below me which didn't seem to be falling apart at all, while everything else around was cracking and crumbling. He yelled, "LET GO!" and I screamed back, "I can't, I'm scared!" And he yells back, "Its okay. Let go, Chel. You have to let go."

I woke up from that dream with the understanding that for better or worse, this was my new life and I had to live it. I went out that day and bought knitting needles and yarn. I watched Amy's videos and was knitting within 15 minutes. I joined that knitting group and have made many good friends there as well as on KH.

A few months ago I decided to drive back to the Celtic Knot Yarn Shop. I had a long chat with the owner, Carole. It turns out she was the one who had initially referred me to KH. And to me, this part is a bit of a miracle; At the time Carole had given me the information that would literally become a saving grace during the most difficult time in my life, she was experiencing one of the most difficult times in hers-the loss of her mother.

So, now I knit. I have become passionate about it. I am passionate about yarn, needles, swatches and gauge. I am passionate about KH and its members and my knitting group and all the friends I have made there. And I knit because I am alive.

PurlyGyrl
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
What great stories everyone has!

And Chel, :hug:s for you girl!

Chel
03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Awwww. Thanks. :oops: Trust me. If you've got a best friend :heart: them like theres no tomorrow because the truth is, there might not be.

MamaMer
03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I love everyone's stories!

Chel, yours made me tear up a bit. :hug:

I tried to teach myself a few times, and while I was preggers with my first son, I tried to learn to crochet, but I couldn't do it. So I pretty much gave up on all hopes of learning to create knitted/crocheted objects.

Then I found out that ds #3 is allergic to disposable diapers. So we switched to cloth. And I fell in absolute love with wool soakers, longies, shorties (and if I had a girl I would love the wook skirties, too!) but they are soo expensive to buy, so I decided that it would be much cheaper to learn to make my own. I looked up my LYS (at the time, when I didn't know any better I called it the knitting place :teehee: ) and signed up for lessons. I had an awesome teacher and turns out I am somewhat of a natural knitter! Who knew!:shrug: I picked it up pretty quickly, and agree with the pp that said that it is good when you don't know that what you are doing is hard, bcs then you can't be scared! My first project was a pair of shorties, which is more of an advanced beginner sort of thing. Now I am totally addicted to fibers of all sorts, to the feel of the yarn, the sound of needles happily clicking away, and perusing all the places I know to find more beautiful yarn!

Braden
03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
I started knitting, because I had always been interested in it. No one in my family or around me knitted, I just wanted to do it. So I got the Wrights I Taught Myself Knitting and some light blue wool, and taught myself to knit. I've never had a knitting lesson from another person, and everything I've learned since then has been from books and a few websites. That was about 5 years ago, and I laugh at my first scarf. I actually gave it as a Christmas present. I thought it was good, then, though.

Aquaria
03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Good story Chel! You almost made me tear a bit :hug:

It's really amazing how knitting just works like magic, like I've mentioned before :teehee: .

Arielluria
03-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Good topic. I think I have been fascinated with yarn since I was very young because I had a little purse when I was a toddler that my mom's aunt had made for me with little mini granny squares. I am not the type who can sit still for long, and I love to be productive, so even when I HAVE to sit still I can always knit! ;) I was into quilting for a long time, but who can carry around a quilt to knit at the car dealership?!? Knitting is a much better take-along!

I always tried and tried to crochet and knit, I have pics of myself making squares at very young age, but didn't really have any guidance in that direction. I gave it up thinking "what am I going to do with all these squares?". LOL!

Sometime around the end of 99 I made my first scarf, and for grins I made it with garter stitches at the edges and found out it was the ONLY thing I ever made which didn't curl and that REALLY got me interested. Also the fact that combining both stitches made an interesting pattern.

A couple of years later a friend of my mom's was having a garage sale full of his late mother's stuff, and she was a PROLIFIC knitter! I bought every needle set I could, about 30 of them!

I love a good bargain! :cheering:

Jeremy
03-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I learned about a year and a half ago. My wife and I had a friend who was about to undergo surgery to remove a malignancy. She was a big time knitter so to take her mind off things we took her around to different knit shops. My wife wanted to learn to knit as well. After about two or three shops I decided that if I was going to continue to go, I should learn to knit too. So I bought some needles and yarn and my friend gave me my first lesson. My wife learned too but has never progressed beyond a scarf and knits only occasionally. I knit almost every day and right now have socks, an aran poncho, a sweater and a pi shawl going.

carmabelle1191
03-27-2007, 09:40 PM
My friend was the first one who learned from our "Knit Wits" club at school. She was knitting while I was over her house, and I thought it would be interesting to try it (I'm always invading her space). She taught me the knit stitch, and I finished that row. I wanted to do more and more , but I eventually added on too many stitches and that made her frog it :oops: . The next day, my mom bought me a pair of size 8s and some wool/acrylic yarn. I looked up how to cast on (incorrectly, by the way; it was the single loop) and finished that scarf a few months later. Over the summer I dropped it, ( :wall: ) but when church started again I noticed a Seaman's Knitting Group that foucused on knitting for men in the navy. i decided to go to that meeting, and found myself addicted. I learned the purl stitch, and it took off from there. Now I just taught that same friend how to do the purl stitch and am more experienced, if I do say so myself. :teehee: