PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tattoos - Post photos of yours!

Kirochka
01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
As some of you know (those who have been watching me post this emoticon regularly in the blogs: :thud: ), the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be getting my first tattoo on Saturday (Hildie will be there to catch me if I faint). Some of you have posted pictures of your tattoos - I thought I'd ask more of you to do so, to encourage me and also because I love to see the pictures!

letah75
01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I have 5 tattoos, and want more, but this is the only one I have a picture of.

msoebel
01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't have any digitals of mine....and am feeling far too lazy to scan them just now and then deal with posting. Sorry. :oops:

I have a blue butterfly on the back of my left hip...it's about 6 inches long, 4-5 inches wide.

I got it 6 years ago...and I still love it. It has personal meaning to me. And no one has to know about it unless I want them too...but it's not in a "private" place, so showing it off doesn't require taking someone into a bathroom stall.

I really want to get a crown of thorns on the back of my neck but my hubby says no more tattoos. :pout:

Be warned: while the first one can be a little intimidating, it is very easy to get sucked in and want more!

Misty

jodstr2
01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I thought i had a pic saved on this laptop, but I guess not.
mine's a thorny heart on my right shoulder with a scroll and the letter J in it. just black, thick lines. I've had it since 1994 and it's fading a little.

edit: found a grainy pic taken in 2001.

Yarn Kitten
01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Oooo...I love posts like these! I actually have three tats...one on my lower back (1st), one on the back of my neck (2nd), and the last one is right above my left hip bone! I love all three...especially the newest addition since I can actually see it...lol!

Here's some pics:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/Flutterby78/Avatars/DSC02331.jpg
Neck

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/Flutterby78/Avatars/tattoo1.jpg
Lower Back

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/Flutterby78/Avatars/DSC02432.jpg
Left Hip

The kitty one was taken only a couple of hours after getting her inked, so she's not near as smooth as she is now being that she's three months old!

Have fun getting your first tattoo! Don't forget to show us some pics!

~Stacie xxx

aylaanne
01-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Ooo Ooo Ooo!!! Me next! Me! This picture is from right after I got the tattoo in July, I really should get a new one but I probably won't:
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2172/pict0355sp0.th.jpg (http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0355sp0.jpg)

Sometimes I forget I have it, but whenever I see it I love it. It's gorgeous. It's the first tattoo I ever got, and it took two and a half hours, but my artist was wonderful and only the last twenty minutes or so really hurt. And it was sooooo worth it.

XbelovedXoneX
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
yay for getting your first tattoo! I have a lot of tattoos, but no pictures on this computer! But I have lots... small sea turtle on my ankle, hindu design on my wrist, large memorial calf piece for my grandpa, japanese dragon backpiece... so yea, if you have any questions I'm sure I can answer them! :teehee:

Kirochka
01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks, everyone! (And for those of you who don't have pictures, descriptions are cool too!) I have heard so many people say that it becomes addictive to get them (and by the way, my husband has no say one way or the other about what I do to my own body - he can have an opinion and I do want to hear what it is, but the decision is mine alone, as is the money that I earned and will be using to pay for it...). I'm curious to see how I'll react... I'm such a wuss when it comes to needles, but in this case I want the tattoo more than I hate the needles... I think. We'll see! It was true about my nostril piercing, too - took me years of wanting it before I finally got over the fear of pain and just did it. I've been thinking about the tattoo for two or three years now, and I seem to be ready...

... I hope...

CateKnits
01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
I had to pop out of seclusion for this topic! I know you've seen pictures of mine, but here they are again. I also have a scorpion on my right hip that I don't have a photo of. The next one I'm planning on getting is an Orion to sit opposite the scorpion, but I haven't decided how I want it yet, or whether it should go back or hip, etc. The one on my hip did not hurt at all. The process felt sort of itchy, actually. I ripped the scab off on a pair of jeans though, so it's in major need of a retouch. :pout: The ones on my feet hurt. A lot. Ask my roommate, who held my hand. :teehee: But they were really quick (less than five minutes each) because they're just black lines. I have a thing for plain black tattoos. :shrug:
The picture was taken the day I got the "I think" done (which was about 5 months after I got the "I am" done), which is why it's all red and shiny. I took the picture in a mirror and reversed it, in case you were wondering if I had it done backwards. :teehee:

dustinac
01-30-2007, 04:28 PM
:cheering: Can't wait to see your tattoo... I don't have one but if I did I would have a yellow rose on my ankle with a tear drop falling from one of the petals.. and then something like a pretty butterfly on my wrist..

but I'm really afraid of needles and don't want to see :pout: on my dad's face :teehee:

Cristy
01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Cate---Where's the pictures??? :shrug:

I don't have any pictures of my tat...at least not that I can put my hands on and I was headed for the digital camera until I started looking at the ones you guys have and realized that some of you have some SERIOUS tatttoos! You'd probably laugh if you saw mine so I'll just describe it...

It's on my shoulder blade--can't remember which one b/c I never see it...right one I think.. :shrug:
It's a gecko done tribal style--all black--about 3 inches long and and inch and a half wide. It's 10 years old now so it could use some re-touching...several times I've thought of getting it made into something else but I'm afraid that it'd look awful or be really obvious that it was once something different. I love the lizard--it's just not as "sharp" as it once was. I kind of like the idea of the same thing only larger and that could be pulled off over the existing tattoo I think...

Kirochka--good luck. They are somewhat addicting--the only reason I never got more is the money factor--it seemed like there was always something else that I NEEDED to spend the money on so I couldn't justify the tattoo...
If it's any help--I am SO unbelievably frightened of needles that I had my first child natural to avoid an epidural...that being said--the tattoo was nothing. It felt like a warm, slow scratch to me--but not an overly painful one. I think the pain factor has a lot to do w/ location. I know several people who have said that feet hurt and so do ankles...

Cristy
01-30-2007, 04:36 PM
okay...Cate....suddenly your pic is there...weird...

KellyK
01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Aylaane... that is BEAUTIFUL!!!! STUNNING!

Not that all others arent.... I just have a thing for nature.

Stiney
01-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Cate, I love the idea of an Orion tattoo! It's my favorite constellation! Which may be because it's the only one I can pick out in the sky. :rofl:

I'm assuming you would get it star-style and not as the dude?

I love everyone's tattoos! I want a tattoo but I can never decide what to get.

CateKnits
01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Yep, probably star style. But I don't know if I want it with lines or without and all that. He's my favorite, the only one I can pick out, and I love one version of his myth. He and the scorpion are on opposite sides of the sky because Orion killed every beast BUT the scorpion, who managed to get him. :twisted:

CarmenIbanez
01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
I so want to get one!

Stiney
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Yep, probably star style. But I don't know if I want it with lines or without and all that. He's my favorite, the only one I can pick out, and I love one version of his myth. He and the scorpion are on opposite sides of the sky because Orion killed every beast BUT the scorpion, who managed to get him. :twisted:

Isn't one forever chasing the other, too?

Jessica Cobb
01-30-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't have a tattoo yet, although my boyfriend has plenty to make up for my lack there of. I'm planning a chest piece right now that I'm amazingly excited about. I love you guys' tattoos!

aylaanne
01-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Aylaane... that is BEAUTIFUL!!!! STUNNING!

Not that all others arent.... I just have a thing for nature.
Thanks Kelly! I'll try to get DH to take another picture of it so you can see the chrysalis. The guy really did a great job, and then undercharged us (I think) so we'll be going back to him eventually. I have a couple of other ideas for tattoos, I want one where I can see it, and when my children are born I'll get their names and birthdates tattooed on me.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Here's mine... I *may* be adding one on Saturday with Karen, kind of like my avatar, except the moon is smaller, so it's encircling the fairy, the fairy is crouching, not sitting, and she's holding a ball of yarn :yay: BUT DH wants me to talk to someone else and see if he can do it cheaper that the tat place :yadda: .... anyway, I digress...

I got the turtle on my back left sholder in 2001, and the sun on my left ankle 2 weeks ago.

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/tat2.jpg

Yikes, these pics are crappy... the turtle is blurry and the sun is upside down and my ankle is all black from the ink... oh well...

XbelovedXoneX
01-30-2007, 06:22 PM
well I found a picture that kinda shows one of my tattoos! It's a B&W pic, so it's hard to tell... but they are old school roses in a lovely shade of blue that you can't see! :teehee:

http://myspace-805.vo.llnwd.net/00245/50/81/245701805_l.jpg

Knitting_Guy
01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
I have several, but this one is my favorite (sorry, not the best photo):

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/06_23_3.jpg

Jessica Cobb
01-30-2007, 06:54 PM
well I found a picture that kinda shows one of my tattoos! It's a B&W pic, so it's hard to tell... but they are old school roses in a lovely shade of blue that you can't see! :teehee:

Oh, I just love those roses! I'm planning a chest piece right now with some traditional roses and things. I bet the blue looks amazing.

Mulderknitter
01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
XbelovedXoneX- I am so happy that you didn't choose a dress for your wedding that covered your tattoos! I chose a strapless as well, and I liked it BECAUSE you could see my tattoo.... lemme see... I'll have to dig and see if I can find a pic...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture076.jpg
Everyone thinks it's an eye, but it's two figure 8's (the sign for infinity) looped together. I also have a small infinity sign on the back of my neck but it's hard to take that pic by myself :roflhard:

XbelovedXoneX
01-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Oh, I just love those roses! I'm planning a chest piece right now with some traditional roses and things. I bet the blue looks amazing.

Thanks! The blue is amazing... I got the tattoo 5 years ago, and they still look as bright as the day they were done!

XbelovedXoneX- I am so happy that you didn't choose a dress for your wedding that covered your tattoos! I chose a strapless as well, and I liked it BECAUSE you could see my tattoo....

I think it would have just looked trashy if I wore a dress where part of my tattoos peeped out! Funny story... my mom's boss, who is from Denmark, asked my mom if I had them painted on specifically for the wedding. He and his wife thought they were so beautiful! I'm glad he said this to my mom because she hates my tattoos. It's always good for her to hear compliments on them!

DonnaS
01-30-2007, 07:34 PM
I have three.. but no pictures.

1 Celtic band left upper arm, 1 chinese symbol on my right hip.. and a green eyed serpent dragon over my left shoulder ;)

aylaanne
01-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh my goodness, XbelovedXoneX, your roses are GORGEOUS. I might have to steal that blue rose idea.

My mother doesn't like admitting that I have a tattoo, and she forbade me from telling her two younger children (though I told my sister the first moment she and I had alone).

XbelovedXoneX
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM
My mom doesn't mind my tattoos as much as my stretched earlobes(which you can also kinda see in the pic). Those she finds literally repulsive. But I still love her. :teehee:

cara
01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I've got two tats. one on my inside right bicep - the symbol for the celtic goddice Brigantia and one on my lower back/bum of a frog on a lilypad with some tribal stuff around it.

The colors in the photo of my back piece are a bit off...

Edited just a smidgen for content by The Mod Squad :waving:

jjminarcik
01-30-2007, 09:22 PM
It's so interesting to see everyone's ink!

I have 3 all on my lower back. The lowest one I got in college; it's the symbol for sisterhood. My and my sorority big sister both got it. The hearts are just for fun. And the paws are the actual paw prints of my dog and cat. (Those were not easy to get from them!) :wall:

Jessica Cobb
01-31-2007, 12:01 AM
My mom doesn't mind my tattoos as much as my stretched earlobes(which you can also kinda see in the pic). Those she finds literally repulsive. But I still love her. :teehee:

How funny. My mom is the same way. Although, I took mine out a while back, but had them stretched to almost a 1/2 inch. She always looked at me all grossed out. :teehee:

aineepooh1
01-31-2007, 01:06 AM
LETAH 75... I KNOW YOUR TATOO..
Cutter and Letah..

:cheering: :roflhard:
I saw your screen name and have wondered about Letah.. Now I know~!!
My girlfriend introduced me to the graphic novels 20 :cheering: :roflhard: Years ago..
Do you have Skywise on your bod??? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

i'd rather be knitting
01-31-2007, 02:13 AM
I can't find a pic of mine but it's on my lower back and is a plumeria.
Have you all heard the new term "Tramp Stamp"? I hate it. I guess it refers to some kind of bullseye that a "tramp" has on her lower back.
Apparently, any tat on a woman's lower back is now considered a "Tramp Stamp". Lovely.
My daughter has two tat's. One on her ankle and one on her lower back. I want a new one that has something to do with me being vegan, but I haven't come up with just the right idea so I'm holding off for awhile.
Tat's are definetely addicting. Have fun...you'll do fine. I found that you kind of numb yourself to it after while.

catownedanna
01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Detta är min tatuering!" = "This is my tattoo!"
_____

This sort-of-crappy-picture shows my tattoo. The tattoo is between my shoulder blades and I couldn't get a better picture on my own. In reality, the middle line is vertical.

The sign is Japanese (Kanji) for water. It's about 10cm (4in) across. I wanted something more than just the sign and after a lot of thinking I added flames as a contrast to the water. It's all shaded in black.

kristinw
01-31-2007, 09:23 AM
oooh, I love to see everyones tats!! :cheering: :cheering: I got this one in June 2004 - I absolutely love it. I can't wait to get another one. I want to get one to represent my son that we tried so many years for. Now that he's here I really want to choose just the right thing.

This one goes all the way around my ankle.

Silver
01-31-2007, 09:49 AM
I have 4 tats. The oldest, my tiger is about 15 years old now. :shock:
Maybe it's time for new ink...

A lil tiger on my right ankle
http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/albums/me/Tat1.gif

A rose above right breast
http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/albums/me/Tat2.gif

A panther head on my left upper arm
http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/albums/me/Tat3.gif

And a tribal/kanji on my back... the kanji says "Silver")
http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/albums/me/newtatsm.jpg
which is also on the rear window of my F150 truck
http://www.cometosilver.com/silver/me/image/425/truck_tat1.jpg

Kirochka
01-31-2007, 09:49 AM
You're all so inspiring to me!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I can't wait to be able to show mine!

(Also because it'll mean it's done and I'll know what it feels like and I'll know it really wasn't that bad... and who knows, maybe I'll be dying to get another one! :shifty: )

DianaM
01-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Don't have one yet. I've been designing stuff for years and a tattoo for myself is also in the works.

I love all of your tattoos guys!! :heart:

cara
01-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks mod squad for fixing my picture! :)

I want to get a tattoo for my dd. I am thinking of putting her name and birthday on my left inner bicep in a small spiral and then adding the names and birthdates of our future kids to that spirial. either that or put them near my breast since my dd was nourished by mama's milk for 11 months and still going!!!

I dunnooo....but I know i really want another one.

everyones Tats are great!!!

Emeraldcutie
01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
I love all the great tattoos.
I have 4, but no picx on the pc.

1/Upper right arm-old style bird of paradise with a banner with my name in it.
(my boyfriend at the time wanted his name in it, no way..lol)
2/Upper left arm is pegasus flying in front of a moon.
3/Right Shoulder blade-red rose with a blue intwined ribbon, and my grandmothers initials and date of passing.
4/Left shoulder balde is a lions head with a full main-in black and grey. It was a first anniversary gift, my husband and I both have the same one, we got it to represent strength as alot of people in the beginning didn't have alot of faith in our love (we had a very short courtship-I attributed that to knowing what I wanted and going after it, I already wasted enough time..lol) So now 8 years later we still look at the tattoo and remember how we are living for us, and our family and that we don't need to justify ourselves to anyone else.

Thats my tattoo story. I really want another one, it was one I found thats tiger lily with a dragon emerging from it.

msoebel
01-31-2007, 10:37 AM
I wanted to add that my tattoo really didn't hurt...until the next day (severely stiff back!). It felt like when your foot falls asleep and you get those pins and needles...not a big deal. And there was a HUGE adrenaline rush after.

Like I said, I would totally get another one...sigh. But hubby and I kind of have this deal that we don't do anything to our bodies without checking with the other one first. Since we are the ones who have to look at each other for the rest of our lives...I am fine with that.

Misty

letah75
01-31-2007, 11:34 AM
LETAH 75... I KNOW YOUR TATOO..
Cutter and Letah..

:cheering: :roflhard:
I saw your screen name and have wondered about Letah.. Now I know~!!
My girlfriend introduced me to the graphic novels 20 :cheering: :roflhard: Years ago..
Do you have Skywise on your bod??? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

He he, no Skywise :teehee:

I love Elfquest (hence the tat). I kinda wanna get Winnowill on my calf though.

feministmama
01-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Here's my two. THe one on my back is the symbol for OM and the one on my hip is from a zine of a figure inthe fetal position tat I had done sorta near my ovary (but really its not cuz its on my hip) The guy that did it wouldn't let me get closer. He said "when you have a baby it'll get all stretched out" I said I didn't care I wanted it so I had to compromise with this. THat was when I was 18 or 19. I'm 40 now and yes I had a baby and yes its stretched out but I think its beautiful that way. It changes and grows with me.

earthchick
01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
It's so cool to see everyone's tats! I don't have any pics of mine but maybe when dh gets home I can get him to take a couple.

I have a butterfly on my left shoulder and a little turtle on the small of my back. Honestly, I'm kind of tired of them and sort of wish I didn't have them. But my little boys love them. They're always asking to see them, and then they give them hugs and kisses. So that makes it impossible for me to totally regret having them.

jjminarcik
01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Have you all heard the new term "Tramp Stamp"? I hate it. I guess it refers to some kind of bullseye that a "tramp" has on her lower back.
Apparently, any tat on a woman's lower back is now considered a "Tramp Stamp". Lovely.

I've also heard it called "Slut Spot" :??

Knitting_Guy
01-31-2007, 11:57 PM
That's what happens when you follow the herd.

CarmenIbanez
02-01-2007, 12:12 AM

I would just like to say that you are a sparkly beautiful example that no one has to be forced into a mold or stereotype. I think your photo of you looking beautiful and feminine in your wedding gown and with your tats and big lobes is an amazing combination of tradition, culture and gender images! You go girl!

XbelovedXoneX
02-01-2007, 12:23 AM
I would just like to say that you are a sparkly beautiful example that no one has to be forced into a mold or stereotype. I think your photo of you looking beautiful and feminine in your wedding gown and with your tats and big lobes is an amazing combination of tradition, culture and gender images! You go girl!

This seriously is one of the nicest things a person could say to me. Seriously. Thank you so much! :muah:

Eloewien
02-01-2007, 02:01 AM
I love the roses too- those are gorgeous!

I don't have any tattoos at this point... but I desperately want one. I'm 26, and just haven't found the right design, tho I've been looking since I was 18. Guess I'm just too picky. I know I want a dragon, but have yet to find one that's quite right. For now, I can't afford much, so it's on a back burner. Someday :)

msoebel
02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
That's what happens when you follow the herd.

I will admit...it irritated me to no end in college when a certain group of girls (the type who would get up at 5 am to get ready for an 8 am class...the type who drive the yellow Mustangs their daddy bought for them...the type who can't seem to manage to keep their little lacey thongs UNDER their blue jeans :ick: ) would show up to class with cutesy little tattoos at the base of their spine. Especially annoying when they all showed up with identical or similar tattoos.

BUT I think it's disgusting that men think it's okay to refer to the tattoos as "Tramp Stamps". I know some perfectly "nice" girls who have a tattoo in the small of their backs...and honestly, most of them got theirs before it was considered trendy. They just thought it looked cute there.

A woman should be able to embellish her body without bearing the stigma of being a "slut".

Misty

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-01-2007, 12:03 PM
in 49 hours Karen and I will be getting INKED!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

I love everyone's tats. And if someone says I'm slutty because I have one, then :!!!: 'em. I don't have time to worry about what other people think. I *do* care about what I think, and to an extent what DH thinks. (he doesn't care).

Re: getting up at 5 for an 8am class.... these girls would never have been my friends, not only because of the high maintenance rich bitch crap, but because I never woul dhave seen them in class :teehee: (I tried to schedule all my classes for 10:30 or later!)

jjminarcik
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
A woman should be able to embellish her body without bearing the stigma of being a "slut".

Well said, sister! :yay:

auburnchick
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM

Well said, sister! :yay:

Matthew 7:3

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in someone else's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from the other person's eye. "

:muah:

nadja la claire
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't have one yet but I really want one. I even the design in my head. It's going to be a cobra coiled around my body and neck with it's head on the back of my neck and it's open mouth at my 7th cervical vertebrae. I don't know what it would cost or if I will even get it but that's what I want. People either laugh at me or give me a weird look when I describe it to them but I don't care. I would also like to get one of a Beardsley drawing.

Letah I love the idea of Winnowill.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

hunterjenn
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I will spare you guys the eye-shock and NOT post mine!! :teehee: When I was 19, I got a 3-inch butterfly in blues, greens, and gold on my lower belly just inside my right hip bone. Ten years and a set of twins later it is some SERIOUS UGLY!! :rofl: Obviously, you have to be careful where you place them...

It was not well-accepted when I got it--back then, tats were just starting to become "fashionable" (here in Boise, anyway)! Now, even though I wouldn't get another one, I'm glad I did it and still grateful for the lesson I was reminding myself of when I got it. KWIM?

msoebel
02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Re: getting up at 5 for an 8am class.... these girls would never have been my friends, not only because of the high maintenance rich bitch crap, but because I never woul dhave seen them in class :teehee: (I tried to schedule all my classes for 10:30 or later!)

:rofl:

Yeah, the only reason I saw them was because the Family and Marital Counseling class was only offered at 8 am (the professor was a morbidly happy morning person! :hmm: ). After sleeping through Oceanography as a freshman, I never took classes earlier than 10 am (with the exception of this one...)

Misty

susies1955
02-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I was always so AGAINST tattoos but when I turned 47 four years ago I went through a mid life thingy I believe and started climbing mountains, wanting to go more places and ended up with a tattoo. I love it.
Susie
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/susies1955/Jul2136WinCE.jpg

five_six
02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't have any pics, but will try to get some, but I have a small lady bug on my right shoulder blade (and I mean really small)... My daughter loves it, always asks to see the 'doodoo' (Maltese for any kind of bug), and a pair of Indian grass dancers that I designed who are dancing entwined with each other beneath a rising sun at the base of my back, but that was for wacky metaphysical chakra reasons (although I guess I could just say I wanted a 'tramp stamp' :shrug:. My ladybug is in colour but my grass dancers, of course, are plain black ink and I love both of them very much.

I want another, but I have been negotiating on this with hubby for years now (I think I'm just gonna do it anyway, no regrets and all), but it's a little rood - I want to get a small soft serve cone, umm... down there... ummm... :shock: cause you lick soft serve cones, I just never figured out what flavour I should make it

DianaM
02-02-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm a very early riser for school. Two hours before a class, and three hours before a test. And my earliest class this semester's at 9am.

Why get up so early? It takes at least one hour for the caffeine to hit my bloodstream hard enough for me to figure out what day it is. The few times I've woken up an hour before class I've ended up wearing mismatched socks, forgetting homework and showing pillow marks during class :teehee:

I think that the day I get a tattoo, I'll put it in the smal of my back too. Not because it's trendy, blah blah, but because it's one of the few places in my body that don't have stretch marks O_O

I was very overweight in my early 20's, lost a lot of it and the stretch marks are baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Kirochka
02-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Pictures courtesy of Hildie - the result of today's events...

Thanks to you all for your inspirational photos and descriptions! In explanation of mine, it's the major scale, up and down, of the four-shape shape note system (http://fasola.org/introduction/note_shapes.html) that's used in, among other books, the Sacred Harp, (http://fasola.org/) a tunebook that was first published in 1844 and is still in use. I first heard singing from the book in 1983, when I was in college... I eventually (long story) started singing from it and it has been responsible for some of the greatest joys in my life, not least of which is the fact that I met my husband at a Sacred Harp singing in Alabama in 1998 - since I'm from NY and he's from Illinois, if not for Sacred Harp, we never would have met. And we both love it and it's a big part of our lives.

I knew I wanted to integrate the notes into an armband but wasn't sure how - the artist who did it today just did it perfectly for me. The notes aren't quite correct from a musical standpoint - since they're colored in they should be quarter notes, but she took the stems off them, which makes it so much nicer in the vine. But it's just what I wanted, exactly right, and I'm SO glad I did it!

P.S. Hildie's is AMAZING, but I'll let her post photos of it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-03-2007, 10:44 PM
here's mine!!!! It'shard to tell because I'm so red and shiney, but the fairy is holding a ball of yarn... the yarn is blue, and the rest is black and gray (the red parts will eventually fade to very light gray)

Karenchka and I had an AWESOME time today!!!! We're going to be tattoo sistas!!

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/pict0270_208.jpg

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/pict0271_106.jpg

Knitting_Guy
02-03-2007, 10:44 PM
BUT I think it's disgusting that men think it's okay to refer to the tattoos as "Tramp Stamps". I know some perfectly "nice" girls who have a tattoo in the small of their backs...and honestly, most of them got theirs before it was considered trendy. They just thought it looked cute there.

Misty

No argument from me on that. You have to remember that many people have a negative view of tats whether on a male or a female body.

I was sitting in a bar once (imagine that) wearing a sleeveless tee shirt. The old man next to me looked at my very nicely done professionally inked tattoo and asked me how long I had been in prison. :rofl:

After talking to him a bit and informing him that I have never seen the inside of a prison, I found out that this old man thought that everyone who had a tattoo got it in prison. Geez.

jodstr2
02-04-2007, 02:02 PM
everyone's ink is all so cool! :cheering: yay for ink! :cheering:

Jackie M.
02-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I am so old fashioned. :oops: Don't want a tattoo...never did. But seeing all of these on all you wonderful ladies and gents makes me feel better about that big butterfly tattoo on my daughters back. She is just more into the times than I am.

meearnol
02-04-2007, 04:28 PM
This is the outline of my backpiece. I had just gotten it done in this picture, which is why it's so shiny. I'm going in for my first black and grey session on Friday.

Nice to see that there is so much ink on the boards!

msoebel
02-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Misty

No argument from me on that. You have to remember that many people have a negative view of tats whether on a male or a female body.

I was sitting in a bar once (imagine that) wearing a sleeveless tee shirt. The old man next to me looked at my very nicely done professionally inked tattoo and asked me how long I had been in prison. :rofl:

After talking to him a bit and informing him that I have never seen the inside of a prison, I found out that this old man thought that everyone who had a tattoo got it in prison. Geez.

Isn't it funny how people judge you for stupid things? I mean, judge me for my attitude or my talent or my personality...but on the way I LOOK?!?! That's just stupid.

Once, when I was in highschool, my mom and I were meeting a friend of mine at the mall. My mom had never met him before, and was really excited to meet him because I had been talking about his artwork for months and months. Well, this guy came walking in the doors with blue hair and an eyebrow piercing and my mom made a snotty comment about people who just "have such a low self esteem they have to draw attention to themselves."

So when he came walking up to us, and I introduced him as my friend Phil, she kinda didn't know what to do. :wink:

Jackie ~ are you sure you aren't my mother in disguise? Because she won't even look at my large blue butterfly tattoo on my back. :hmm:

Hildie and Kirochka~ Nice ink ladies! They look great. You guys went to someone good!

Misty

Kirochka
02-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Misty, she really was an artist! And very very serious (the kind of person you realize you can't joke with) and totally focussed on her work. I was very impressed by her.

Meghann, please post again - I don't see the picture!

Jackie M.
02-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Jackie ~ are you sure you aren't my mother in disguise? Because she won't even look at my large blue butterfly tattoo on my back. :hmm:

Misty

LOL......well, I have looked at that monstrous butterfly. I don't like it, but it's covered most of the time. It would have been prettier if it was smaller.

Silver
02-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Congratulations on the new ink Karen and Hilde! Both of them are fabulous!! :cheering:

becjo
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
I love everyone's - they are a great expression of who you are. The artwork is amazing! My youngest step daughter wants one and her mom told her after she turned 18 should could get one (only because she's against it and can't really stop her at 18 yrs old) - so now, she turned 18 in October and she's looking for what she wants. I told her I would go with her and get one myself. I want the Beauty and the Beast broadway symbol on my back. I just hope the pain isn't bad - I'm a wimp!

aylaanne
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
This thread is making me want another tat! Yikes! Ink or yarn, ink or yarn, ink or yarn.....???? :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, I am on an official indefinite yarn diet now... I have SO much yarn, anyway... DH said my stash is bordering on obnoxious... and I have yarn for FOUR sweaters, not counting the one OTN... plus countless other stash yarns for whatevr other projects I think I have to make. I'm happy with the tattoo though, and thanks everyobe for the wonderful comments!!!!

meearnol
02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Lets try this again. I think I may be doing something wrong. Let me know if it doesn't work. I may need some help with this one. :wall:

aylaanne
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
wow, that's amazing.

Kirochka
02-06-2007, 10:06 AM
WOW!!! That IS amazing! How long did it take? I'm guessing a long time...

I hope you'll post pictures again when it's done!

meearnol
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
The outline took about 2 1/2 hours. I'll post more pictures soon. I have another session in a couple of days, but it will be months before it's completely finished.

Thanks for the compliments!

Kirochka
02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say, I think the name "Meghann" is gorgeous! :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Meghann, that is amazing!!!!!

Julie
02-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Hildie! Karen! They look fabulous! :cheering:

Karen, I especially love how you worked Sacred Harp into yours -- so so so so cool. I have wanted one for a long time (DH has four and would love to get more too) but I've never had that "a-ha" moment of what I would want that's meaningful to me and yet visually cool and clever. You totally attained that -- I just love it :heart:

BDKitty
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
:cheering:

Here I think I am a mutant mom with an ugly multi chapter Mid life crisis and really I just fit in with all the rest of you. I had a tatoo done back in 2002 - it was chapter 3 of my mid life crisis and I LOVE it. No one expects it from me. and most don't know I have it until they see it by accident.

It's kinda long, but I love it, and wouldn't change Ms. Kitty for the world!

Kirochka
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Julie, if not for the idea about the shapenotes, I'm not sure I would have thought of having one to begin with, although I do like how they look. A friend of mine has notes from two Sacred Harp songs tattooed across her lower back, and that was the first time I'd seen that - I still never thought about it for myself, but then I started really liking the look of the armband, and given how important Sacred Harp is to me, it began to come together in my mind.

This was about two or three years ago, maybe, I can't remember now... it takes me a while to go from idea to execution where needles are involved! :teehee:

So now I've gotten my nostril pierced at 40 and my first (not sure if "and only" or just "first..."... time will tell) tattoo at 44. So hooray for midlife decisions! :wink:

stagebear
02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
here's mine. it's the big dipper with ivy instead of stars. (sorry it's not the best pic)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
ooo that's cool!! on your foot?

stagebear
02-06-2007, 05:39 PM
it's on the inside of my ankle and the cup of the dipper goes right around the bone.
here's a wider shot.