PDA

View Full Version : Going from one skein to the next!

wandaweberg
01-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Going from one skein to the next!

How many of you:

1. Tie a knot in the two strands? OR

2. Join together and darn the yarn in?

suzeeq
01-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I loosely tie them together, then a few rows later will place the knot where it will be least noticeable and tie it tighter. I figure on sweaters no one's going to be looking at the inside of it except me.

sue

aylaanne
01-31-2007, 12:00 PM
I join and darn. Sometimes I do a russian join or a felted join instead, if the yarn is the same color.

sara_jayne
01-31-2007, 12:02 PM
If it is the same yarn I'm joining I hold the two strands together and knit three stitches then drop the short yarn. You don't have to weave in the ends if you do that (but I do).

If I'm felting something like a purse (that I always line) I tie a knot in the yarn and cut the ends.

Stiney
01-31-2007, 12:03 PM
I join and darn. I'm always afraid the knot will show through on the rightside.

wandaweberg
01-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone!

Right now am working with scarves - so need it to look good on both sides.

Silver
01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
If it is the same yarn I'm joining I hold the two strands together and knit three stitches then drop the short yarn.
I do this method too, most of the time, but I knit 5 sts with both yarns. When I'm finished, I cut the tails a 1/2" inch to 3/4" long and don't weave anything in. *woohoo!*

If I'm changing to a new color, I knit one stitch with both colors, then weave in the ends.

If I'm going to felt, I felt the tails together and knit with one continuous strand. (Thanks Amy!)

I never, ever, ever, ever, ever tie a knot to join. :doh:

Jax3303
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I usually use the felted join. When using a non feltable fiber or when starting a new color I tie loosely then after a bit go back, untie and darn in.

Jan in CA
01-31-2007, 01:36 PM
If it is the same yarn I'm joining I hold the two strands together and knit three stitches then drop the short yarn.
I do this method too, most of the time, but I knit 5 sts with both yarns. When I'm finished, I cut the tails a 1/2" inch to 3/4" long and don't weave anything in. *woohoo!*

If I'm changing to a new color, I knit one stitch with both colors, then weave in the ends.

If I'm going to felt, I felt the tails together and knit with one continuous strand. (Thanks Amy!)

I never, ever, ever, ever, ever tie a knot to join. :doh:

This is exactly what I do! And I also never tie knots.

Pink Dandelion
01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I like to add on at an edge (if whatever it is is knit flat) and then I tie a half knot and weave in the ends.

Knitty had a really neat article on end weaving last fall, I've been using this method a lot, and I almost enjoy weaving in ends now!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html

Vendie
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
I like the spit join (aka the felt join) when I'm using feltable yarn. Otherwise, I carry the old and new for several stitches and then drop old, like Silver and SJ already mentioned. Anything to not weave ends in!

wandaweberg
01-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I like the spit join (aka the felt join) when I'm using feltable yarn. Otherwise, I carry the old and new for several stitches and then drop old, like Silver and SJ already mentioned. Anything to not weave ends in!

Is anyone aware of any video depicting this ???

Again - thanks everyone!

betty bat
08-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Count me in the camp that doesn't like to weave in ends. Now, this might sound like a really dumb question, but I'm confused about what it means to "hold the strands together and knit" three to five stitches with both the old and new yarn.

When you hold the strands together, do you match up the ends of the yarn or do you lay the new on top of the old? These are the best figures I can come up with. Does it look like

|---- one thread ----
|---- the other thread ---
or like
|--- old thread -------------
------ new thread ----|

where "|" is the end of the thread. Thanks for any enlightenment!

Currently confused,
Betty

webbfamily
08-29-2007, 02:42 PM
I am interested in this answer as well :)

knitncook
08-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Another "knit it together and don't weave anything inner" SO much easier!

GinnyG
08-29-2007, 02:59 PM
When you hold the strands together, do you match up the ends of the yarn or do you lay the new on top of the old? These are the best figures I can come up with. Does it look like

|---- one thread ----
|---- the other thread ---
or like
|--- old thread -------------
------ new thread ----|

where "|" is the end of the thread. Thanks for any enlightenment!

Currently confused,
Betty

I use the second join....... that way you have 2 ends of the yarn sticking out (wrong side), the first is the new andthe second the old. I then take a needle and weave the end down a few rows and clip.

With wool I always use a felted join.

My knitting teach told me "real knitters " NEVER knot :think::thumbsup:

suzeeq
08-29-2007, 03:08 PM
I tie knots; none of them work loose or move around to the RS.

luvmeowers
08-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Another "knit it together and don't weave anything inner" SO much easier!

Me, too. I learned that from Amy in her knitting in the round video. When knitting my first row, I almost always knit the tail in for 4-5 stitches. So far, I've had very few instances were this doesn't work (depends on thickness of yarn and stitch pattern).

JGM
08-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Here's another really nice visual tutorial on joining yarn http://www.knitpicks.com/content/index.php/cat/joining-yarn/

Kaydee
08-29-2007, 04:43 PM
I use a felted join if I can. If not, I will tie a knot and try to disguise it.