PDA

View Full Version : Hope chest

NakedPancakes
02-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I am looking for something cheap I can use as a hope chest. Something I can decorate myself and such. I've looked at the only 3 craft stores near here, and..not been able to find anything.

So.. Any help would be appreciated. =]

msoebel
02-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Spring is coming...and with spring comes GARAGE SALES! They are an incredibly great place to find things like hope chests. My mother bought me mine...a cedar Lane chest at a garage sale.

Also try stores like goodwill or salvation army.

Things like chests tend to be gently used items and can be easily decorated in an fashion you like.

Keep an open mind and consider things like toy boxes, antique metal chests, old trunks, etc...they can be painted or decoupaged very, very easily.

Sometimes, you can find good deal at antique stores too...especially the ones that are run like bazaars, with "stalls" that vendors can rent.

Good luck! I always love the hunt!

Misty

Stonington
02-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I am looking for something cheap I can use as a hope chest. Something I can decorate myself and such. I've looked at the only 3 craft stores near here, and..not been able to find anything.

So.. Any help would be appreciated. =]

Are you anywhere near a "Christmas Tree Shop" They usually have quite a selection of furniture---chests and such very reasonably priced.
http://www.christmastreeshops.com/

anne

DianaM
02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
You could also try places that sell unfinished wood furniture.
They can be a bit pricey, but you'll have a brand new item that you can personalize as much as you like.

Pink Dandelion
02-01-2007, 03:42 PM
I'd see if there was an IKEA in your area... they sell unfinished and some finished furniture (among other things) for very good prices.

Jan in CA
02-01-2007, 03:45 PM
You could also try places that sell unfinished wood furniture.
They can be a bit pricey, but you'll have a brand new item that you can personalize as much as you like.

This is what I was going to suggest. It all depends on what you want to spend though. Even a big rubbermaid tub from Target could serve the same purpose if cost is an issue. Craigslist is a good place to look and do check out the ads for garage sales.