PDA

View Full Version : OT Wedding Reception arrangements

Stonington
02-01-2007, 12:04 PM
I know this is way off topic but my husband's DD is getting married in April and I have volunteered to make the arrangements for the tables at the reception. 10 or 12 - 8 ft tables in all. I have perused the web for ideas but thought with all the artistic talent here I would ask for your thoughts. Ideas anyone? :??

Thanks!
anne

brendajos
02-01-2007, 12:07 PM
does she have any sort of theme?

Stonington
02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
does she have any sort of theme?
Not really. :shrug: Her colors are violet and white--roses will be the predominant flower. I was thinking something that each couple at the table could take home with them?

anne

Friskums
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I've seen little bubble containers. One wedding I went to had personalized M&M's. Maybe a disposable camera or something. :shrug:

brendajos
02-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh oh oh! Look at this very cool idea (http://arborday.org/shopping/gifttrees/weddings.cfm)I came across while looking for a gift for a friend. Not sure how many you are planning for the wedding but I thought this was a very cool favor to send home!

(not as yummy or as cost effective as the M&Ms though I would suppose....I am always in favor of M&Ms...lol)

Stonington
02-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Oh oh oh! Look at this very cool idea (http://arborday.org/shopping/gifttrees/weddings.cfm)I came across while looking for a gift for a friend. Not sure how many you are planning for the wedding but I thought this was a very cool favor to send home!

(not as yummy or as cost effective as the M&Ms though I would suppose....I am always in favor of M&Ms...lol)

That is cool.... I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a floating candle arrangement lol. I really like the tree idea though--ribbons with their name/date of the wedding and a nice quote? hmmm

anne

SandraEllen
02-01-2007, 12:32 PM
are you looking for favors, center pieces, or both? or something that serves as both?

Stonington
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
are you looking for favors, center pieces, or both? or something that serves as both?

More along the lines of centerpieces--I am also thinking of little decorated bags of candy as favors on the table. ? It has been a very long time since I have done something like this lol

anne

dustinac
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I don't remeber where I read/seen this but always like the idea of taking a bowl or pretty glass container and put a beta fish in it.. then they could swim around and you could put a flower on the top.. and the folks could take them home with them.. you could put pretty marbles or rocks in the bottom.. I wonder what the fish would do if a floated candle was on top... that would prolly not work out in the fish's favor... :teehee

Birdy
02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
The most recent wedding we went to had nice high flower arrangements that they prized off at each table. There was also a mini-easel with the dinner menu printed on it. Then there were matching books with interesting facts about weddings and things. Little tiny books, just 2 per table, but they were good conversation starters.

The favours were sets of coasters. It was a January wedding, so they were glass squares with snow flakes frosted on. On the bottom of one set of coasters per table was a "you win" and that's how they prized off the flower arrangement.

The flowers were roses, very pretty, and it was easy enough to see under them and they didn't hamper conversation at our table!

Stonington
02-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I LOVE :heart: the fish idea!! but Vermont in April.. might freeze those poor little guys

keep those ideas coming.. this is great! Thank you all so much! :cheering:

anne

candicane
02-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Have you looked at Martha Stewart Weddings. Most of her stuff is very pricey but extremely beautiful and well done. It might at least inspire you and you could modify to your liking and budget.

candice

knitting4babybear
02-01-2007, 01:57 PM
You have me stumped on centerpieces - but for favors I was gonna say M&Ms too. That's what I'm doing for mine. I've also seen:

Wine bottle stoppers - either engraved or with ribbon to personalize.

Mini boxed teas - like these: http://www.weddingthings.com/mini_boxed_teas.htm (this is an excellent site for ideas in general ...so check here for ideas)

Cameras - http://www.weddingthings.com/wedding_camera.htm

Check online favors stores for ideas as a general rule. They come up with things I might never have thought of, but can be easily done with a little imagination and a good craft store. :)

Krystal
02-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't remeber where I read/seen this but always like the idea of taking a bowl or pretty glass container and put a beta fish in it.. then they could swim around and you could put a flower on the top.. and the folks could take them home with them.. you could put pretty marbles or rocks in the bottom.. I wonder what the fish would do if a floated candle was on top... that would prolly not work out in the fish's favor... :teehee

betta's were a great idea, everyone was sneaking around takinf the fish before others even thought of it. However, no candles on top.... I know Betta's are air breathers, but we has floating candles with goldfish at a friends wedding and the candles sucked all the oxygen out of the water.... all the fish went belly up within an hour. oops... :oops:

Stonington
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
poor fish! Must remember .. NO candles with fish, :pout: NO candles with fish!

anne

cookworm
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
More along the lines of centerpieces--I am also thinking of little decorated bags of candy as favors on the table. ? It has been a very long time since I have done something like this lol

Anne, pastel mints make nice favors (and M&M's of course, too!). I've seen centerpieces with floating candles like you mentioned; something with a circle or square-shaped mirror underneath it makes for a very nice centerpiece, too.

vaknitter
02-01-2007, 09:17 PM
I would suggest heading to Michael's....they have a wedding aisle and there always seems to be someone there to talk to about ideas.
For my wedding we used white tableclothes and then cut 10" squares of colored fabric and turned them point to point along the table to make runners, I used small potted daisies for centerpieces, but my wedding was in Aug. Floating candles are gorgeous too.
IMHO favors are highly over rated - mine were candy and 2/3 of them were left behind and 6months later I am still finding more in the house ! If you have live flower centerpieces you can tag a seat at the table to take it home with them.
Also - the table cameras - really expensive and rarely does anyone take any good pictures. We just asked friends to bring their own digital cameras and pass the pictures along to us.
Something we considered but didn't end up doing was making a donation to a local charity and putting a card from the charity on everyones chair.

Best of Luck !!

Mama Bear
02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
When my daughter married we put various small photos of the bride or groom from when they were little up to present day on the tables as part of the center pieces. On a long table you could put a few down each table. It was a good conversation starter and encouraged people to mingle to see the photos on other tables.

On the guest book table we had a wedding photo of each set of parents and on the gifts table was a wedding photo of each set of grandparents.

People really seemed to enjoy seeing the couple's history in this way.

After the wedding we gave the frames from the guest tables to friends who had helped with the wedding, and gave the grandparents the frames we used on their photos. We kept a few of the guest table frames for the bride and groom.

I don't know what it would cost this time of year (my daughter was married in summer and we had several lavender farms close by) but we filled little violet draw string sheer bags with lavender buds and passed those out for people to throw in place of rice when the bride and groom left.

Good luck, and don't work so hard you are too tired to enjoy the day!

Mama Bear

Emeraldcutie
02-01-2007, 10:58 PM
My husband and I made magnets as favors, with our wedding theme on them. It's fun to go to peoples houses and see them on the fridge..lol we also did hand made soaps.

I wanted to do the mini choc bars with the custom labels, they had a do it yourself site with the templates for them.

DotMom61
02-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Not helpful for your centerpiece needs, but a friend's daughter was married two years ago. She went out after Valentine's Day and bought up a bunch of candy that was marked down & set up a "Candy Bar" along one of the walls @ the reception.

They put out several of those big glass canisters full of M & Ms and other "loose" candy, scoops & little bowls, and people could go and make their own little bowl of candy to munch on. (My kids were in Heaven!)

They also did something similar to Mama Bear's daughter w/ the pictures on each table. It was really fun to see the history of the kids.

Good luck w/ all of this. Let us know what you come up with!! I think the tree idea is fantastic, btw!!

aineepooh1
02-02-2007, 02:19 AM
At my cousin's wedding he and his wife had individually wrapped Hersheys Kisses and Hugs(white chocolate swireld with dark choolate) and attached to the cards were the words.." Hugs and Kisses from Ron and Paige." I thought it was a very sweet favor.
Also since she is getting married in April there should be all KINdS of lilac and white available due to it being closed to Easter..( My favorite :heart: :heart: :heart: Holiday)...
Perhaps the classic clear hurricane candle holder with lilac and white flowers. Marbe you could spray paint designs on the candle glass with a storebought temptlate and spray it with made for glass paint.. that would be pretty :happydance:

Stonington
02-02-2007, 09:02 AM
Wow! I know I have said this many, many times.. but you folks are wonderful! :heart: So many wonderful ideas. I am heading to both Michaels and AC Moore after work armed with ideas! Thank you all again for taking the time to share with me :hug:

Hugs,
anne

cara
02-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I just attended a friends wedding and she had made preserves (strawberry jam) and put it in small mason jars. they were all wrapped with ribbons and everyone got to take one jar home. It was a delicious treat and looked fantastic on the table. :)

Fresh Fruit might be hard to come by this time of year though... :??

Stonington
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
That does sound nice. I had thought of maple syrup too, the wedding is in Vermont. I think making Jam would be pretty time intense for me lol. :teehee: Maybe if I had more time--

anne

mrs desert rain
02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
for favors, my DH and I made a donation to arborday.com.

our table arrangement was fairly simple. we ordered lisianthus from flowerbud.com (they were a client of mine for years), and a bunch of beeswax candles and votive holders, placed them on the table, and dimmed the lights. it was magical! (yet so simple!)

also, you may want to check this page (http://theknot.com/keywords/in_190.shtml?HP=c_cs) on The Knot's website. it was super helpful for me!

Stonington
02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
for favors, my DH and I made a donation to arborday.com.

our table arrangement was fairly simple. we ordered lisianthus from flowerbud.com (they were a client of mine for years), and a bunch of beeswax candles and votive holders, placed them on the table, and dimmed the lights. it was magical! (yet so simple!)

also, you may want to check this page (http://theknot.com/keywords/in_190.shtml?HP=c_cs) on The Knot's website. it was super helpful for me!

Beautiful!
anne

aineepooh1
02-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Mrs. Desert Rain :inlove:

ANNE... Do not forget to post Pics after the wedding~!! :woot:
also... IMHO I :heart: the idea of a Spring Wedding before it gets so friggin' hot :hot: in the summertime~ with all that lace, and silk, and tuxedos~!! :roflhard: :roflhard:
Ainee