PDA

View Full Version : Q about today's epi of Knitty Gritty

stefcap
02-02-2007, 12:28 AM
So, today Lily Chin knit a darling 9-block heirloom afghan, and I just had a question about her techniques. She made reversible blocks, I guess by using ribbing. Normally, cables are not reversible, but Lily's were. Why and how do ribbing give you a reversible cable, and also she made a reversible dual color brioche also using ribbing. What kind of magic is that? :shrug: :teehee: :??

brendajos
02-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I didn't see the show but here's the DIY link (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_5258003,00.html)to the pattern. Maybe that will help clear it up? There isn't any video at this point. No idea if there will be later or not. :shrug:

boyforpele13
02-02-2007, 07:22 AM
i don't really understand the mechanics of the brioche yet, i was too busy casting on for the reversible cable one. ;) as for the cable, though, cables are normally not reversible because there is usually a reverse stockinette set-up on either side of it, like RS = K4, P3, K4, P3, and those K4 will become 2/2 RC or 2/2 LC, leaving the reverse stockinette alongside. On the WS, you'll have a "puckering" effect from the cable, surrounded by st. st. as they showed in the pink strip of non-reversible cable.

Ribbing is reversible so by maintaining the entire pattern in a rib, both sides become reversible. The cable setup will be in the same rib as the cable, and instead of a typical 2/2 RC/LC the cable itself is in k1, p1. even though you are ribbing out of order, it will still maintain a k1,p1 pattern on both sides, so on the opposite side, instead of the puckering and stockinette, you'll have the reversible rib that continues into the cable pattern.

does that make sense? i feel like i've overcomplicated it now...

the brioche thing, i really don't get. in listening to her and peeking a bit, it seemed like there would be these dangling loops of knitting hanging everywhere... i'll have to watch that a couple more times when i'm ready to try it. ;)

boyforpele13
02-02-2007, 08:26 AM
p.s. there are several mistakes in the pattern for the reversible cable (the first block done on the program) i'm contacting DIY now.

ETA: Here are the errors:

For the written pattern, bullet #3 has [p1,k1,p1,k1] the next 4 stitches off of the regular needle and then [p1,k1,p1,k1] off the cable needle. This should read [k1,p1,k1,p1] in both brackets to maintain the reversible cable pattern. It is correct on the charted pattern and also in the next section for the opposite cable (instruction #5, bullets 2-4)

The chart appears correct except for incorrect symbols for the cables in the 2nd and 4th cable rows. Both of these should have 4/4 LC, not 4/4 RC and not 1 of each as in the 4th cable row. This is correct in the text version of the pattern (if the part mentioned above wasn't incorrect, of course.)

bip
02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I am confused about the bi-color brioche as well. I learned this technique from Interweave Knits, and it involves yos. The Knitty Gritty pattern doesn't mention any yos.

I am going to have to try it at home. I can kind of visualize how it would work, but since I am working on a brioche scarf using the IK technique right now, I am finding it hard to separate the two

It might not be that complicated though. Seems like you would knit across in MC, and slip CC loops w/o knitting. Slide your work back to where the CC strand is hanging, the purl across with CC. Turn. Now you purl in MC, slide and knit in CC. No?

The yos in the IK method do add an interesting pattern, like fishbones running alongside each column. I can't imagine what it would look like w/o them...I'll have to find out tonight.