PDA

View Full Version : My ebay winnings....

figaro
02-02-2007, 10:55 AM
are not what I thought they would be :pout: . A little while ago I bid on a lot of bamboo DPNs, sizes 0-11 and I won. They came in the mail and they were not the nice polished ones like Clover that I have and want more of. They look like (to me anyway) raw sanded bamboo but I thought this is fine for now. At least I can try them out and learn how to knit with them until I can buy the ones I want right? Well, I am trying to learn how to make a hat on the size 8's when one of them looked a little small, I checked it with my gauge and it measures out to be a size 7 when it is marked size 8. I am not too terrible upset, it just re-inforces the fact that I do still need to by the real ones and not just settle with these.

Anyone else here come across this too?

momwolf
02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I bought some and LOVE mine.I bought from skyridersince2005

mwedzi
02-02-2007, 11:10 AM
You might try polishing them yourself. I think there is some sort of polish you can put on and let dry overnight. Even wax paper rubbed on them would help, I think.

Mom2Rebecca
02-02-2007, 11:16 AM
I bought mine from Bambooneedlegirl and love them :shrug:
Jessica

figaro
02-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I forgot to say that I bought mine from whalerider out of TX. I like them but I will slowly replace them with Clover Takumi.

Cattrah
02-02-2007, 04:22 PM
I bought mine from that person too and I found they were very raw-ish and had lots of little splintery bits that would catch on my yarn so I just kept a nail file nearby when I started a project on a set of needles I hadn't worked with yet and just sanded them and as I used them they got better. They're too sticky for me, I definately like metal needles better. I haven't worked with clover bamboo though, maybe they're not too bad then.

Jess_knit
02-02-2007, 05:12 PM
The difference in needle sizes could be due to different companies having different standards. That said, it's still annoying when the size difference is one full size.

I bought my DPNs from bambooneedlegirl and really like them. I'm sorry yours aren't as nice :pout:

(The funny thing is, I prefer metal! Now I have to go buy a set of them too.)

Stiney
02-02-2007, 05:15 PM
are not what I thought they would be :pout: . A little while ago I bid on a lot of bamboo DPNs, sizes 0-11 and I won. They came in the mail and they were not the nice polished ones like Clover that I have and want more of. They look like (to me anyway) raw sanded bamboo but I thought this is fine for now. At least I can try them out and learn how to knit with them until I can buy the ones I want right? Well, I am trying to learn how to make a hat on the size 8's when one of them looked a little small, I checked it with my gauge and it measures out to be a size 7 when it is marked size 8. I am not too terrible upset, it just re-inforces the fact that I do still need to by the real ones and not just settle with these.

Anyone else here come across this too?

In Amy's video, she says that Elizabeth Zimmerman ( :notworthy: ) says it's okay to use one DPN that's the wrong size, because the wrong size stitches will be distributed around the garment. If you have a set of 5, you could always just do your knitting on 4 DPN's.

I'm fond of my Clover and Crystal Palace DPN's. Brittany makes nice birchwood ones, too, that feel very similar to the bamboo.

Jan in CA
02-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I bought some less expensive ones and found they were not quite as nice as Clover bamboo, too. However they work fine till I can get better ones. :shrug: