PDA

View Full Version : OT: breastfeeding cease and desist order...

Cristy
02-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Has anyone heard about this?!?!? It's reminiscent of the whole stitch n bitch thing w/ sew fast sew easy...are we sue crazy or what??

Jen from The Lactivist has received a letter from the National Pork Board threatening to sue her for the use of the phrase "The Other White Milk" on her t-shirts. Jen sells these t-shirts online to raise money for the Mothers' Milk Bank of Ohio. This t-shirt has been removed from her store.

Here's the really ridiculous part. One of the Pork Board's concerns is quoted here:

In addition, your use of this slogan also tarnishes the good reputation of the National Pork Board's mark in light of your apparent attempt to promote the use of breastmilk beyond merely for infant consumption, such as with the following slogans on your website in close proximity to the slogan "The Other White Milk." "Dairy Diva," "Nursing, Nature's Own Breast Enhancement," "Eat at Mom's, fast-fresh-from the breast," and "My Milk is the Breast.

Jen's website can be found here (http://thelactivist.blogspot.com/2007/02/overzealous-big-pork-stomps-on.html) if you are interested...

Cristy
02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
I should add that I just saw where a formal apology was offered by the CEO of the pork board....

It's still an interesting story though...

brendajos
02-03-2007, 11:35 PM
okay where's the apology cuz i just fired off outraged IMs to friends so I should probably link that too...lol

brendajos
02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
nevah mind....i found it (http://thelactivist.blogspot.com/2007/02/update-on-pigsteria-mothers-milk-bank.html)...

Cristy
02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
LOL Brenda....that's exactly what I did...I was outraged so I posted..and then as I continued to read I found the apology. I'm still shocked it happened in the first place...

I took a look at her cafe press shirts and some of them had me absolutely rolling w/ laughter...I think I need the shirt that says "that's my baby's lunch you're lookin at..."

:roflhard:

brendajos
02-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I was laughing at the cap that says "I play with my baby's food" :teehee:

My best friend used to have a pro breastfeeding site that sold rompers that said "My Mom's too lazy to fix a bottle." She had a picture of her son from daycare wearing it. He was sitting on the floor sucking on his fingers looking terribly forlorn. They took the pic in black and white too so it was completely the perfect set up. Cracked me up every time i looked at it.

snowbear
02-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I was ready to get on the war path.. I breast fed. as does my daughter. My son-in-law.. a Marine, gets very very protective of my daughter. Some of his buddies were being negative about breast feeding.. insinuating they were for " husband " use only.

Well, at 6'4", 220 of solid muscle, he can look intimadating.. except to his wife & me, lol..

He merely informed them of how wrong they were. He was almost in a shouting match when his C.O. came up to see what the heck was going on. My soninlaw explained, and the CO simply stated to the other men.. You stupid enough to argue with him? He'll clean all your clocks. & for your info.. He is right.. what do you think they were made for. grow up.. and the CO walked off.

When my daughter heard about the recent sit in at the airports where that airline made the woman stop breastfeeding.. she wanted to go object.. except she was about 7 months pregnant, and unable to get up on her own from the floor.

I'm glad they apologized, breastfeeding is the most beautiful experience there is between mother & child... *in my humble opinion* I still remember the bond. I know all are not able to for what ever reason. I respect them and defend their choice as well.

*ok.. I'll get off soap box.. sorry about that... :oops:

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Good grief. :doh: I'm glad they apologized and I hope the situation gets resolved.

mrs desert rain
02-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Ugh. :pout:

My heart literally sank reading about his. My best friend breastfed her twin girls for a bit over a year -- it's tough, tough work sometimes. And that's what makes this situation (and the one involving your SIL, snowbear) so infuriating -- the last thing a mom needs is someone telling her it's WRONG, especially when she's worked so hard to make it actually work. :pout:

anyway. i'm sure we all feel the same about this...

brokenblossoms
02-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Even though I'm 18 and not a mum yet, I am totally 100% breastfeeding no matter what (unless you physically cannot) and that whole thing really got me steemed. :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

Kari
02-04-2007, 12:51 AM
My two and a half year old son is in the process of weaning. He only asked to nurse once today. I feel very lucky to live in a state (CT) where I can nurse anywhere that I am legally allowed to be, and where harassing a nursing mother in public is a punishable offense (fine, jail or both).

I think the National Pork Board should get new counsel and make a very, VERY public apology to (and a nice donation to the milk bank in honor of ;) ) The Lactivist. And if they don't maybe all of the nursing mothers of the US who currently eat pork should reconsider "the other white meat" as part of their diets.

Mariblue
02-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Ugh. :pout:

My heart literally sank reading about his. My best friend breastfed her twin girls for a bit over a year -- it's tough, tough work sometimes. And that's what makes this situation (and the one involving your SIL, snowbear) so infuriating -- the last thing a mom needs is someone telling her it's WRONG, especially when she's worked so hard to make it actually work. :pout:

anyway. i'm sure we all feel the same about this...

Yes, it just makes it all so much harder!
I love the part where the "pork" people said: " "We trust that after you have reviewed this matter, you will conclude that the better course is to promptly comply with National Pork Board's demands herein."
Thankfully, it just made her angry! :!!!: And rightfully so.
Mariblue

Cristy
02-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Jen (from the Lactivist) had asked that people email her to let her know where they had posted information about the whole pork ordeal and I emailed her to let her know I had posted here "issue" here.....she emailed me back this morning to say thank you. I thought that was nice--she didn't have to take the time to respond! I hope everything works out for her--they haven't come to a complete resolution yet but it sounds like they are getting there.

I agree about breasfeeding completely. I've just started BFing my son (who is 16 days old) and I breastfed my dd until she was a year old and decided she was no longer interested (or better yet--was just more interested in everything else around her). It is a really wonderful experience and it's not an easy one!!! (I say as I yawn...)

I just came from a baby shower for my best friend's sister and while I was nursing her step-dad came up to see my son--he was stroking his head and talking to me about the baby while I was nursing....all of a sudden, he just stopped talking, turned and walked away...turns out he didn't realize I was nursing--all of the women at the shower were cracking up!!! It was so funny!!

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 06:09 PM
I just came from a baby shower for my best friend's sister and while I was nursing her step-dad came up to see my son--he was stroking his head and talking to me about the baby while I was nursing....all of a sudden, he just stopped talking, turned and walked away...turns out he didn't realize I was nursing--all of the women at the shower were cracking up!!! It was so funny!!

Oh that poor man. He was probably mortified. :teehee:

Cristy
02-04-2007, 06:35 PM
he was but it was quite funny!! This is his first grandbaby on the way and his daughter intends to breastfeed so he'll have to get used to it....I felt so bad for him b/c he literally left the room and didn't return for the whole shower! LOL!

Mariblue
02-04-2007, 07:13 PM
That is so funny, Cristy! :teehee:
I had a situation like that once, but it was my Aunt, so much less embarassing for her!
Mariblue

Birdy
02-04-2007, 07:54 PM
I agree, Breast is Best!

I have one funny story. My son was a funny nurser... He just loved to get in a snack, but couldn't stand to have his head covered one bit... er, bite... as that is what he would do if I covered him.

He would talk and caress as he nursed. Anyhow, I was in University at the time and got comfortable with the whole thing no matter where I was. I really had to with the schedule I had! (and the university was great, allowed him to go to my lectures, made space for me to nurse, and even gave me free notes if I needed them due to baby issues).

Well, one time at Tim Horton's... All of the sudden I realized, he had stopped nursing and had his head a good distance away to get a good look... and there I was flashing everyone since he would not allow me to cover him.

That was :oops: The funny thing was... not one single soul said a thing to me, although I caught several people looking!

cara
02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
My dd will be 12 mo on Sunday!!! and she is still nurses at night. she is way too busy in the day time to care, but she loves her mommy milk at night time. She is usually up 2 times between 7pm and 7am to nurse. I know she isn't hungry, but just wants mommy time. that's okay with me. :) hehe. :)

I have a onesie for her that says 'got breastmilk'. It is such a great conversation starter! hehehe!!!

Mrs. Columbo
02-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, one time at Tim Horton's... All of the sudden I realized, he had stopped nursing and had his head a good distance away to get a good look... and there I was flashing everyone since he would not allow me to cover him.

Tim Horton's?? Birdy where in Canada are you? You could have been called the TIM HORTON'S FLASHER .. :teehee:

I breastfed my DD till she was nearly THREE ... mine was for different reasons though and I am no longer with her father whose fault it was that I breastfed that long .... but she would come up to me and say MOMMY MILK MOMMY MILK and climb on my lap and haul up my shirt ... I tried to get her off the breast when she was 19 mos old ... finally when my weight hit 98 lbs my OB said "as much as I commend you for doing this for this long, I know the reasons why and this has to stop" so I started taking away feeding by feeding when she was just over 2 1/2 ... by the time she was 2 mos short of 3, she was finished ... and the father was gone. :cheering:

Our middle (of three) DD is expecting in March, a boy .. I am going to make her a shawl as I believe she is going to be nursing ... :heart:

Toby

CarmenIbanez
02-05-2007, 06:38 PM
It was difficult for me because my son had teeth at 6 weeks! So I only made it to about 10 weeks because I had a nasty infection and that coupled with the teeth was too much. But the Dr. said I made it through the most important part and that everyone should try and get to six weeks at the very least.

I might add that I was not breastfed, nor was my husband. He and I were both pretty sickly as kids and my son is NEVER sick. I mean, he's 14 and I can count on one hand the number of times he's been too sick for school. (Not counting other things like injuries). He is very hearty!

Knitting_Guy
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm scratching my head here. :??

Exactly when was it that something as natural as breastfeeding a baby became so socially unacceptable that it requires activism? I must have missed the memo.

The whole thing seems pretty surreal to me, but then I'm just a dumb guy.

HamaLee
02-05-2007, 07:50 PM
but then I'm just a dumb guy.

No, you're a great guy!
(But we already knew that since you knit... :teehee: )

psammeadred
02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Personally, I can't see why anyone would have a problem with breastfeeding in public, as long as the woman at least tries to cover up. (But if the bub is pulling off the blanket, well, what can you do?) Besides, what better excuse for us to practice knitting lovely lace wraps?

Cristy
02-05-2007, 08:56 PM
It's crazy tha t people get so up in arms about all of this stuff...it's okay for strip clubs to have billboards but not for women to occassionally expose a little flesh to feed their children!!

I know what you mean about teeth--dd got two teeth at 4 weeks old but I never once got bit. I was scared but it never happened! Nursing was such a wonderful experience that, to me, it's worth a little lost sleep and sore boobies! :)

Mrs. Columbo
02-05-2007, 09:02 PM
My daughter had teeth but never bit me .. she used to laugh at me and make like she would bite but that was when she was nearly finished and knew that teeth were for biting ...

I knew a woman who nursed till her child was five and she was pregnant with the next one ... did that with all her kids, if she wasn't nursing, she was pregnant ... I wondered what would happen if she didn't get pregnant one year .. would the kid be coming home from grad 7 for lunch break????

It was all over my head.

Toby

ecb
02-05-2007, 10:20 PM
1) I Birthed 3 children alive, and I breastfed 9 (Yes i am a RABID breast-feeding advocate, have even fed 2 kids at once
we had a Nursing babysitting co-op, (it was GREAT)

2)weaning at 4-7 months - its not the first tooth, or even the second tooth that promotes weaning, its that THIRD one that gets ya

3) I nursed my first till she was about 8 months old, my (suposidly) pro-breastfeeding Dr kept asking why I had not weaned yet at EVERY check-up. about 3 weeks after I weaned her she got her second ever ear infection, and that was the first of a searies of 9 in 2 years. Her Teeth are permanently stained from the antibiotics she was ordered.
My second child had a birth defect that required 2 years of antibiotics, so I committed to breastfeed until her surgery was resolved. When I was told she would not need the surgery (erroniously), I started weaning her, took me 10 months (I was 5 months preg by that point)
My Last child I Nursed until she was 2 and a half, then 2 months later I was at a womans retreat that had optional clothing at the pool, and fell asleep next to the pool, when I woke up she was nursing again, took me another 3 months to wean her again :wall:
4) I remember I was with my first daughter once, and we were at a korean/Japanese restaraunt, and I asked where i could go to nurse her, this seemed to confuse the hostess 9who was also the owner, but finally she recognized I was looking for a place to have some privacy and offered to open one of the convention rooms since i was SO uncomfortable. She was my First hero and taught me to never be ashamed or hide when i nursed. Good lessons for life

I know a LOT about nursing
it really IS best, as long as it works for everyone involved
and it IS work

ecb

Kari
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm scratching my head here. :??

Exactly when was it that something as natural as breastfeeding a baby became so socially unacceptable that it requires activism? I must have missed the memo.

The whole thing seems pretty surreal to me, but then I'm just a dumb guy.

The reason my state has a law protecting breastfeeding mothers in public is that a woman who was nursing her young infant while sitting in her own car was arrested by a local police officer for indecent exposure. A bunch of breastfeeding supporters got together and managed to get a statute passed in the legislature so that no other nursing mother would ever be treated in such a manner in our state again.

I have seen plenty of women whose outfits reveal more than has ever been visible while I was nursing my son in public. I have also seen plenty of men who could use a larger sized bikini top than I would wear at the beach.

Kari
02-05-2007, 11:25 PM
it really IS best, as long as it works for everyone involved
and it IS work

ecb

Like many things that are part of parenthood it isn't always easy, for sure. But, like many things that are not easy, it really is a very good thing. It's good for the baby AND the mama.

Women who breastfeed have a lower risk of certain types of cancer as well as lower incidence of osteoporosis. And for me personally it was very true that breastfeeding helped me to lose the baby weight relatively quickly. I gained over 40lbs while I was pregnant and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight when my son was 8 months old and I certainly wasn't starving myself or exercising myself to death.

ChroniclesofYarnia
02-06-2007, 08:15 AM
That's the funny thing...people probably see plenty of moms nursing and don't even realize it. I am rather well endowed, and as soon as my kids got past newborn their big old heads covered up everything. (This obviously doesn't account for that "turn and look at everything" stage.)

It's so weird to live in a world of Girls Gone Wild adverts at all times of the day and people getting offended about you feeding the youngun at the mall.

[quote]My Last child I Nursed until she was 2 and a half, then 2 months later I was at a womans retreat that had optional clothing at the pool, and fell asleep next to the pool, when I woke up she was nursing again, took me another 3 months to wean her again

I am DYING laughing here. :rofl:

kellyh57
02-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I breastfed both my boys. Grant stopped at about 15 months and Jared just stopped last week (YAY for me!) at 25 months. I had two friends with babies around the same age as mine (we met at childbirth class and caught back up at breastfeeding group). We would go mall-walking about once a week and stop to nurse. It was so funny to watch people's reactions. My kids both HATED being covered. I'd cover to start, let them tear it off, then cover when they were screwing around or whatever. We'd go to the empty end of the mall so no one would see us anyway. There were these high school girls one time that were standing in a store nearby watching. They were commenting on how gross it is. I just wanted to go up and say "it's no worse than the underside of the dirty cow that you get your milk from!" I just can't believe the comments people make about breastfeeding while drinking COW milk. How on earth is human milk worse than that? I also nursed Jared while he was 10 months old at the Las Vegas airport. People were giving me dirty looks left and right. My husband and older child were getting us lunch. He said some people came in and were complaining about it. They were saying the least she (me) could do is cover up. He didn't say anything. I would've asked if it was as good of a show as the one they saw the night before? I was so frustated at that point that I could care less. That airport was a mess, people were rude, and I was ready to get on the plane and get home! I so wish I would've had the "I don't like to eat in the bathroom and neither does my baby" shirt!

Kelly

Knitting_Guy
02-07-2007, 12:14 AM
http://www.alphamom.com/site/wonderland/2006/11/because_mother_nature_made_bot.html

Lilsea
02-07-2007, 07:50 AM
I breastfeed as well. I have a super supportive dh, super supportive friends and a great overall support system, which I think is crucial to a successful nursing relationship. My little one is 2.5 mos now and we tried giving her a bottle of ebm (expressed breast milk) last week. She wouldn't have anything to do with it. I got a sense of pride from that :)

In any case, I wish our society would get over the hangups about bf in public. It's not like we are out there flashing everyone and everything. Of course, when I'm home, I could care less if I'm hanging out all over the place, than of course, my kids all think it's a natural part of a baby's life, nursing.

I'm so excited that there are so many other bf'ing moms here :)

miccisue
02-07-2007, 08:32 AM
I breastfeed as well. I have a super supportive dh, super supportive friends and a great overall support system, which I think is crucial to a successful nursing relationship. My little one is 2.5 mos now and we tried giving her a bottle of ebm (expressed breast milk) last week. She wouldn't have anything to do with it. I got a sense of pride from that :)

In any case, I wish our society would get over the hangups about bf in public. It's not like we are out there flashing everyone and everything. Of course, when I'm home, I could care less if I'm hanging out all over the place, than of course, my kids all think it's a natural part of a baby's life, nursing.

I'm so excited that there are so many other bf'ing moms here :)

OK, I"m going to be the unpopular one here. First of all, I never had kids, so one the one hand, I really have nothing intelligent to say about the practice. I agree it's great for mom and baby.

However, here comes my "unpopular" remark....and let me give you a little background. I had a former sister in law who breastfed her kids. No biggie.....except she was one who DID flash everyone in public with EVERYTHING, to the point of where rooms would clear out due to the discomfort the situation caused. I mean, this chick whipped 'em out whenever possible, and never bothered to try and be discreet. Kinda turned me off the whole thing. Her response "it's a natural thing to do". My response to her response "So is going to the bathroom, but I don't drop my drawers for all to see when I'm doing it. I don't take a bedpan with me and squat in the middle of a crowded room or restaurant".

With that said, I have no problem with women breastfeeding in public, I just prefer it to be done discreetly. And yeah, I think this gal had a thing about flashing and this just gave her the perfect excuse (and the fact that she was just as obnoxious as he** ALL the time just added to my take on the whole bf thing, I'm sure).

Anyway, my thoughts be darned, more power to you!

Kari
02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Breastmilk and excrement are not comparable and I really wish people would not use the latter to justify denigrating the former. Breastmilk is not a waste product.

HamaLee
02-07-2007, 10:17 AM
This is a little OT from the current discussion...but I have a question out of pure curiosity. What is the typical age you'd start weaning? What about solid foods, do you do a combination of breast and food? How old is too old to be breastfeeding?

I'm a 26 yr old woman, I have no kids and don't ever plan on having any...so I don't have a real frame of reference here, just curiosity. I do however, have a memory of one of my younger cousins nursing. He nursed until almost 3 years old--and even as a kid I thought that was weird. I mean, he could walk, talk appropriately, had teeth and could eat food so....why does he still need breast? And it was just surreal to see this kid walk up to his mother and say "I'm hungry" and then whip up her shirt and start sucking on her breast.

So what's the consensus? What's the least amount of time you should breastfeed? What's the most? When does it get "weird"? Thanks in advance for humoring me!

(And for the anecdotal record: My mother attempted to breastfeed all three of us but could not--and people made her feel guilty about it for a long time, which I think is awful because she's an awesome mom. So we were all bottle/formula kids from birth and we've all been quite healthy, never sick as kids...never sick as adults)

miccisue
02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Breastmilk and excrement are not comparable and I really wish people would not use the latter to justify denigrating the former. Breastmilk is not a waste product.

Never said it was a waste product, just that both were "natural functions".

Kari
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
This is a little OT from the current discussion...but I have a question out of pure curiosity. What is the typical age you'd start weaning? What about solid foods, do you do a combination of breast and food? How old is too old to be breastfeeding?

I'm a 26 yr old woman, I have no kids and don't ever plan on having any...so I don't have a real frame of reference here, just curiosity. I do however, have a memory of one of my younger cousins nursing. He nursed until almost 3 years old--and even as a kid I thought that was weird. I mean, he could walk, talk appropriately, had teeth and could eat food so....why does he still need breast? And it was just surreal to see this kid walk up to his mother and say "I'm hungry" and then whip up her shirt and start sucking on her breast.

So what's the consensus? What's the least amount of time you should breastfeed? What's the most? When does it get "weird"? Thanks in advance for humoring me!

(And for the anecdotal record: My mother attempted to breastfeed all three of us but could not--and people made her feel guilty about it for a long time, which I think is awful because she's an awesome mom. So we were all bottle/formula kids from birth and we've all been quite healthy, never sick as kids...never sick as adults)

Some people, like myself, believe in child-lead weaning. Most children naturally wean between 2 and 3 years of age. Some wean a little before and some wean a little after. My son is weaning now. He sometimes goes a whole day without asking to nurse, and usually only asks to nurse once or twice.

Introduction of solid foods usually happens sometime after 6 months of age. There are signs that a baby is ready for solids and some babies are ready earlier or later than other babies. Introduction of solids to infants is not meant to provide complete nutrition. It is meant to provide them with an introduction to the tastes and textures of solid foods, and gradually transition them to receiving more and more nutrition from solids. Even formula fed babies should receive most of their nutrition from formula while they are young infants.

Breastfeeding should continue for as long as it is mutually agreeable to the mother and the child. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding exclusively (no other food) for the first 6 months, and preferably to continue breastfeeding with solids for at least the first year of life. The World Health Organization recommends continuing until at least 2 years, I believe.

Breastfeeding provides more than nutrition, and there are benefits for the mother as well as the child. In addition to nutrition, even for toddlers, breastfeeding provides comfort and security. Breastmilk also contains antibodies. In fact, donor breastmilk in amounts as tiny as 2oz per day have been used successfully to treat babies with Rotavirus (a cause of severe gastroenteritis) in other countries where Rotavirus commonly kills babies and young children. Babies and young children who are breastfed are less likely to become ill to the point of needing hospitalization from a number of illnesses.

Women who breastfeed also benefit by having a lower risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and osteoporosis. And the benefits increase the longer you breastfeed.

For me it is natural and not at all weird to nurse my verbally advanced toddler. He can ask to nurse, but in our family we are encouraging our child to be polite and it is not polite to just rip open Mommy's clothes to nurse. That is a behavior that is possibly understandable for a very young toddler (a one year old), but not acceptable for a 2 1/2 year old.

HamaLee
02-07-2007, 11:27 AM
:thumbsup:
Thanks Kari!

feministmama
02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
http://www.alphamom.com/site/wonderland/2006/11/because_mother_nature_made_bot.html

Another important issue surrounding public breastfeeding is safety. A local parks director finally made this clear, after a woman at a community pool wanted to stay and breastfeed her baby while her five year old was swimming. "When you see something like that, it draws people's attention from the pool. You kind of take a double take, triple take, then you sink to the bottom of the pool."

Yes.

Breasts cause people to sink. In fact, women's breasts are killing people all across the country. How many headlines do we need to see before we take action? "Nursing Mother Kills Twelve at Water Park." "Local Man Views Nip, Drowns in Slurpee." "Raised Eyebrows Caused By Breast Feeding Increase Chance of Headaches, Bad Moods, Brain Cancer."

Nursing women are killers, and they must be stopped.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

miccisue
02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks Kari!

And on that note, I will bow out of this thread as it appears that differing opinions are verboten. :out:

HamaLee
02-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks Kari!

And on that note, I will bow out of this thread as it appears that differing opinions are verboten. :out:

miccisue I'm confused. I'm sorry if I've offended you or made you feel that your opinion is not allowed. I certainly don't mean that. I just asked some basic questions of breastfeeding mothers and was thanking one person who gave me a response...as I would and will thank any others who continue to give me their responses or different opinions.

Making it known that you're leaving a thread you disagree with, instead of asking more questions so that we can all make an effort to understand doesn't seem to be the best way to resolve this...I hope you'll come back.

msoebel
02-08-2007, 10:29 AM
I breastfed my daughter discreetly for 19 months. I have never been one to even show off my cleavage (as if I had any) so flashing the girls in a public place, even with a child attached, never really appealed to me.

It never affected our schedule. We took her out and about more often than many parents. At church, I would nurse in my hubby's office (or in a corner of the nursery if that wasn't available). At the mall, I would nurse her in dressing rooms (never had one turn me away for wanting to use it for that purpose). I nursed her in the car. At friend's homes, I would excuse myself to a bedroom. At my parents' house, if it was just them and hubby, I would nurse on the couch, but if my brother or brother-in-law were around, I would go into the dining room or bedroom. If there was no other option, I would find a quiet corner with little traffic and nurse her there.

My daughter never suffered or went without eating, but I was able to respect the comfort of others, who, although they think it's natural and wonderful to breastfeed, didn't really want to see my breasts (it REALLY freaked my brother out).

It doesn't bother me when women discreetly breastfeed their children in public. Throw a light blanket over your shoulder, or wear clothing meant for breast feeding. I have to admit, and I know it won't be popular here, that it does kind of annoy me when I am confronted with the "in-your-face" breast feeder. The person who does it as blatantly as possible just to show everyone how "natural" it is. If it is so natural (and I believe it is), then we have nothing to prove.

Misty

Shandeh
02-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I breastfed all three of my sons, but I didn't think it was necessary to tell the whole world I was doing it. I was just doing what was best for my child. It was just a daily part of taking care of them.

Maybe I'll lose some friends by saying this, but I think it's kind of silly to wear a t-shirt that draws attention to the fact you're breastfeeding. I think you're just trying to get attention if you wear a shirt like that. I mean, mothers change diapers, feed solid food, teach talking & walking, and potty-training too, but I don't see any t-shirts brazenly advertising those facts. Why is it such a freakin' big deal to breast-feed?

I would be afraid to wear a shirt with any of those slogans. I'd probably attract a pervert. :?

Cristy
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Shandeh--I see your point about the shirts--I just think they are funny! I don't have the wit to say anything humorous about anything so I tend to be quite delighted when I see something funny or punny that I actually "get"!

About weaning...I intended to let my dd breastfeed until she wanted to stop and I was 24 years old breastfeeding a baby in a family where no one had ever breastfed. I didn't know if that meant until she was 1 or 5...I wanted to just "see how it went". It took quite a bit of adjustment for my family but in the end, they were great and aren't at all uncomfortable w/ it. If they were..they got over it b/c while I don't walk around w/ my boobies hanging out, I didn't go look for a private room either. Nothing wrong w/ doing that...I just didn't. My dd decided at 10 months old that the rest of the world was more interesting to look at than mommies boobies so she just "lost interest" and it slowly stopped. I was a little disappointed that I didn't make it to the 1 year mark--no one "made" me feel this way but I always kind of feel the need to justify (like I just did above) why she didn't continue. As far as the discreet part goes...I didn't have a lot of nursing clothes but I did tend to wear button down shirts so that I didn't have to yank up my shirt--I was more concerned with the world seeing my belly than my boobies! (Probably b/c my belly was bigger! LOL!) At church I'd use a blanket and when I was in public too.

Now I have ds who is nursing and I have already bought quite a bit of nursing clothes (I figure I can give them to the women's shelter later...) b/c I've found that nursing wear is so awesome now that it's just as good as a blanket. It keeps the tummy covered and only exposes as much of the breast as you want to expose! I hope ds choses to breastfeed for a while...I'm still out on how long is too long...I know that in other countries people do it for years (like until age 7 or 8) but I think that in the US, there is too much stigma attached to it. I had a student--I should say my school system evaluated a student (I was part of the team of evaluators--I didn't actually know him) who was breastfed until he was 7. He was very embarassed about it but his mother encouraged it so he continued. Toddler nursing doesn't bother me but I can't see nursing a 7 yr. old--especially when it's to the point that he is embarassed by it--I think that's a little sad.

Mason--I love that article you posted..I had read it before and I think it's interesting that a lot of people (go read the comments) didn't "get" what she was saying at all...one person left an angry comment b/c they didn't realize that she was poking fun. She is totally for breastfeeding--I hope that isn't why misscue left the conversation...That particular blogger has a very dry sense of humor...