PDA

View Full Version : It's Official! I'm a yarn SNOB!

MoniDew
02-04-2007, 03:01 AM
After knitting with and HATING the cheap, gross, plastic yarns sold at the local Hobby Lobby and Walmart, I have begun spending real, actual money on yarn. Now, you must understand, I never spend money on ANYTHING....EVER! I love natural fibers and gorgeous colors, but until recently, I resisted the urge, thinking it frivolous. However...

For my darling granddaughter, I made an exception, and bought "real" yarn and BOY what a difference!! It was wonderful to work with, just a total joy, and I could not believe how soft and warm and cuddly it was, for her to wear and for me to knit!

So now, it's official. I am officially a yarn SNOB! There is no going back now! Whatever yarn costs, I have decided it is WORTH IT!! Even if I buy only one ball at that price. WHO CARES! I have something glorious and lovely to work with. I'm spending the money!

SOMEBODY HOLD ME BACK!

Check out this GORGEOUS yarn I found (EXPENSIVE!!) But I am going to buy the last skein of a couple of those glorious colors!

http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/2819/
________
Townsman (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Townsman)

brendajos
02-04-2007, 03:05 AM
lol holy cow you certainly did dive head first into yarn snob didn't you. The good news is that there is a good amount of yardage on there and of course it is gorgeous!

Welcome to our yummy little corner of the world. Never knew it would feel so delicious to be called a snob did you? :muah:

aineepooh1
02-04-2007, 03:30 AM
I have now knitted with both acrylic and wool/acrylic blends AND I have tried DB silk/alpaca blend and alpaca and I must say I like them both.
I enjoy the acrylic because they are cheap (so you can buy more yarn~ :cheering: ) and easy care and "fun yarns" to play with..

I also like the "nicer " yarns like DB. I haven't tried MMMMmmmm yet but I hear it's DIVINE.. I like the feel of the nicer yarn as they run through my fingers and hands as I work the yarn.. but I don't like the extra care many require. I also do NOT like getting my yarn in hanks and then having to wind them :tap: If I am going to spend that much money it ought to be wound for me~!! :tap: :gah:
But I also say IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU :heart: :heart: GO FOR IT~!! IT IS $$$$ WELL SPENT IF IT BRINGS YOU LOTS OF JOY~~ AND OF COURSE FONDLING YARN ALWAYS DOES~!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Have a Ball~
:clink: Ainee

Vendie
02-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Welcome to the dark side! <Insert evil cackle here>

Knitting_Guy
02-04-2007, 09:17 AM
So far the closest thing to "good" yarn I have purchased is a few skeins of Sinfonia sport weight, which feels nicer than the Red Heart stuff of which I have several skeins.

I won't spend any money on the good stuff until my skills improve. The cheapo yarns are great for practicing and learning without blowing a ton on money.

I have felt the nicer stuff and look forward to working with them and becoming a yarn snob at some point in the future.

Ingrid
02-04-2007, 10:27 AM
:whistle:

nadja la claire
02-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, I too have become a fiber snob thanks to KP and MMMMMMMMMMMalabrigo. Once you get a taste of the real thing it's very hard to go back. It's sad but what are you going to do? Thus is the nature of the addiction.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

jdee
02-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I guess I'm not, because I like to knit with anything if it's soft. Oh, don't get me wrong. I have to go to the nearest yarn shop, and treat myself, every so often, but I also have no problem with woolease, caron, or bernat....the only rule is that it MUST be soft. :teehee:

aylaanne
02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Ainee, a lot of LYS's will wind the hank into a ball for you when you buy the yarn, and there's always getting a swift and a ball winder for yourself. I love my swift and my new ball winder!

Moni, welcome to yarn snobbery! I have some Adirondack Soxie that I love, and I'm reluctant to knit it up because I just like petting it so much!

MoniDew
02-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks, you guys! I knew you would be in there laughing and nodding with me on this one! :oops:
________
Wiki (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Wiki)

rebecca
02-05-2007, 01:00 AM

I'm with Ing-a-Ling, thanks to http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/kiss2.gifLonnie http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/kiss.gifand his continued indulgences (you can see a few here (http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/)) and encouragement when it comes to knitting (and everything) I happily proclaim myself to be Spoiled http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/boa.gif Knitter, happily chained http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/chained.gif to her precious yarn and knitty goodies :wink:

Nikki
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
ROTFLMBO!!!

I love the yarn you found brendajos, it's beautiful. Come sit by me, I found the good stuff a while back and have never looked back. My hands and eyes love me for it.

miccisue
02-05-2007, 09:35 AM
$46.00 a BALL?????? :shock: That's my grocery budget for a week!!!!!!

That's fine if you can afford it, but I'm hoping that those of us who still use the "cheap" stuff will be welcomed on the board.....seems like there are more and more people becoming "yarn snobs", and I'm kinda starting to feel out of place. :verysad:

Congrats on your find, and I'm thrilled for you that you've found something you enjoy working with so much!

HamaLee
02-05-2007, 10:09 AM
That's fine if you can afford it, but I'm hoping that those of us who still use the "cheap" stuff will be welcomed on the board.....seems like there are more and more people becoming "yarn snobs", and I'm kinda starting to feel out of place. :verysad:

Aw I hope you don't feel out of place.... :pout:
I think everybody's welcome here, that's why I love it so much! :cheering: We all use "cheap" stuff at some point...starting out, or for specific projects, or because we prefer it or can afford it. I love sumptious yarns but I can't afford them. I knit mostly in acrylic or cheap natural fibers--like Patons, etc. Every now and again I splurge on something I think is nice.

That's the key--there is no wrong in knitting. It's what YOU think is nice and to each their own. Just as we shouldn't feel bad for knitting acrylic (and I don't, neither should you. I think everyone here loves all knitters) Those who prefer and can afford gorgeous yarns shouldn't feel bad for posting lovely pics or talking about them. Besides with pics, we can all knit vicariously! :happydance: :rofl:

Duckling326
02-05-2007, 12:54 PM
:happydance: Welcome!

I've been knitting for just over a year now. I learned to knit at my LYS and well she had me addicted straight off. She hand dyes her own DK wool and well I love it!!

Once I made a baby blanket from what I think was red heart and I so didn't like it! Someone gave me an unfinished project and I frogged some of it to make the little blanket.

I am Erika and I am a yarn snob :teehee:

Compulsive
02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I guess I'm not, because I like to knit with anything if it's soft. Oh, don't get me wrong. I have to go to the nearest yarn shop, and treat myself, every so often, but I also have no problem with woolease, caron, or bernat....the only rule is that it MUST be soft. :teehee:

Ditto! Soft= yummy in my book.

LoAnnie
02-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I have become an aweful yarn snob myself, even if I can't make myself spend more than $12 a ball/hank/skein. When family members specifically ask for acrylic, I cringe. Even "baby" acrylic rubs my fingers raw.

LoAnnie

aineepooh1
02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
:clink: :clink: :clink:

EmmaLee .. I couldn't agree with you more~!!

VIVA LA DIFFERENCE~!!!
WE ALL :heart: :heart: :heart: YARN ~~ ~~! IT'S WHAT MAKES US SO SPECIAL~!!

ecb
02-05-2007, 07:25 PM
I have seen incerdably expensive yarns with fancy fibers, silk, linnen etc that i could not deal with
and half the cost I can get Marabrigio, or Misti Alpaca.

I love SWS, and even lambs pride when felted
but I too am a SNOB to the Nth degree

ecb

mks22300
02-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Wowee! That's some purty-ful yarn! Waaaayy outta my price range, but it sure is nice to look at! :teehee:

MoniDew
02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
[quote="miccisue"]$46.00 a BALL?????? :shock: quote]

Fortunately, I DID NOT pay $46 bucks for the yarn. That site has a discount for certain items. Other sites carry the yarn as well. The pictures on that site are quite large and easy to see. This is a representative of the types of yarns I enjoy. I

This is my FIRST experience with "luxury" yarns. I was simply relishing in a new-found experience. I hope you will forgive me. I will ask the moderators if my thread can be removed. I HAD NO IDEA THAT IT WOULD CAUSE ANYONE OFFENSE. I did not mean to offend you, or anyone. Please forgive me.
________
CHRYSLER TURBINE CAR SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car)

miccisue
02-05-2007, 10:59 PM
[quote=miccisue]$46.00 a BALL?????? :shock: quote]

Fortunately, I DID NOT pay $46 bucks for the yarn. That site has a discount for certain items. Other sites carry the yarn as well. The pictures on that site are quite large and easy to see. This is a representative of the types of yarns I enjoy. I

This is my FIRST experience with "luxury" yarns. I was simply relishing in a new-found experience. I hope you will forgive me. I will ask the moderators if my thread can be removed. I HAD NO IDEA THAT IT WOULD CAUSE ANYONE OFFENSE. I did not mean to offend you, or anyone. Please forgive me.

Congrats on finding a super deal! (Although I will admit, the idea of $46/ball still shocks the heck out of me) Even with a discount, I doubt I'll ever get that high end - $7-$8/skein is expensive to me :teehee:

You have every right to be thrilled with your find - I definitely don't mean to take that away from you.

I think your post was just the unfortunate one that I latched on (again, the $46 caught my eye big time) and for some reason even I can't identify, it seemed to bring back every post I've ever read that trashed or implied second class citizenship to anyone that used acrylic. I mean, if you read the vast majority of the topics, you will find that 99% of the time, wool and alpaca are the first things suggested for someone to use when making a project....it's like people seldom think of Caron Simply Soft, Bernat Solo or Softee Chunky when talking about making something soft and cuddly....and it made me want to ask "what if you're not a yarn snob? Do we still fit in?"

Maybe it's the winter blahs, who knows? I've never been ashamed of anything I've made or what I've used, but for some reason today, I started feeling like the proverbial outsider looking in.

I'm sorry that I've taken anything from your joy in your find, that was never my intent. I'm thrilled for you, and hope you enjoy every minute and every inch of the project you make with it!!!!!!! :muah: