PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for some football?!

mrs desert rain
02-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I plan to watch -- with either my cardigan or wicked sweater project in hand! GO BEARS!!!

Ingrid
02-04-2007, 10:20 AM
You forgot to ask about those of us who don't care much about football! :teehee:

Stiney
02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
What's football? :??

:teehee:

Going on 23 out of 23 Superbowls that I have never seen.

Limey
02-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Football: It has a team of 11 players (mainly men) who kick a ball about with their feet - at least, that's what I've been told.

Americans do this differently, their football is thrown about by hand.

A question I've always wanted to ask - why do American footballers use such heavy mascara?- it runs right below their eyes - has it anything to do with some sort of animal charity, supporting raccoons or somesuch?

Limey

snowbear
02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I've not missed a superbowl since its inception. No comment about age here either..lol I'm planning on knitting the dragon scarf to help the colts beat the bears!

mrs desert rain
02-04-2007, 12:39 PM
You forgot to ask about those of us who don't care much about football! :teehee:

what? some don't care about football?!?! :teehee:

actually, I originally had an option for non-watchers -- and for some reason, it didn't show up! :?? i guess it means that not watching ISN'T an option! :teehee: :hug:

hydeemarie
02-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I think i am going to watch and knit at the same time.

MiaZilla
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
But.... it's winter! The fotball season hasn't sta- Oh right. The American kind. XD I have NO oppinion. :shrug:

Jax3303
02-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm in the 'IDGARA about football' group.

for those who don't know, IDGARA = I don't give a rats ***

MiaZilla
02-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm in the 'IDGARA about football' group.

for those who don't know, IDGARA = I don't give a rats ***

Well I don't know about the American kind, but regular football? At the VERY least you can give a rats *** about the players. I totally :heart: the 2006 German National Squad (- even though they beat us :crying:) Mmmmm King Ballack and the German boy harem :inlove:

Lisa Kay
02-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Woohoo! Go Bears!

meearnol
02-04-2007, 01:33 PM
As a knitter from Indy, I have to support the Blue. In fact, not only will I be wearing a Colts jersey, I will be knitting a pair of blue socks (although that is completely coincidental).

GO COLTS!!!

CateKnits
02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
What's football? :??

:teehee:

Going on 23 out of 23 Superbowls that I have never seen.

20 out of 20 for meeeee! Though I did sit in the same room as a TV playing the Superbowl my first year of college. I had a book, so it was okay. :teehee:

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Exactly. :doh: :teehee:

simplethings
02-04-2007, 02:02 PM
go bears! :cheering:

jodstr2
02-04-2007, 02:04 PM
CV and kid will be watching, and I will be knitting. I plan to finish the v.2 Pirates hat today. wish I had more fundage so I could hit up the sale at the LYS.

Vendie
02-04-2007, 02:05 PM
As a knitter from Indy, I have to support the Blue. In fact, not only will I be wearing a Colts jersey, I will be knitting a pair of blue socks (although that is completely coincidental).

GO COLTS!!!

Yay!!!! Fellow Indy'er!!!! (I used to live in Indy, but got transferred out here to VA for work)

GO COLTS!!1!@#!!@!!

orcoastknitter
02-04-2007, 02:26 PM
I watch some of it. But my Mom & I (and puppy Greta) are going to head to "old town" area of our "village" and do some window shopping.

Leave the men (my Dad and his dog Jake) home to watch it.

VictoiseC
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM

Exactement. My adorable DH had to get on the computer to find what channel it was on (just out of curiousity coz we didn't know) and turns out we don't even get that channel.
HA. And don't care. but I am making jalapeno poppers.

P.S. I left the midwest to get away from football.

Cristy
02-04-2007, 06:43 PM
A question I've always wanted to ask - why do American footballers use such heavy mascara?- it runs right below their eyes - has it anything to do with some sort of animal charity, supporting raccoons or somesuch?
Limey

Limey...please tell me this is a joke... :rofl:

mrs desert rain
02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
but I am making jalapeno poppers.

care to share your recipe? pretty please?! :drool:

mrs desert rain
02-04-2007, 07:50 PM
i totally forgot about prince performing at half time! :cheering:

i once read that he listens only to his own music...

Stiney
02-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Limey

Limey...please tell me this is a joke... :rofl:

Baseball players do it, too. :thumbsup:

mks22300
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Go Colts!!

brendajos
02-04-2007, 08:51 PM

Exactement. My adorable DH had to get on the computer to find what channel it was on (just out of curiousity coz we didn't know) and turns out we don't even get that channel.
HA. And don't care. but I am making jalapeno poppers.

P.S. I left the midwest to get away from football.

you don't get CBS? and...umm....we do have more than football in the midwest. :verysad:

brendajos
02-04-2007, 09:22 PM
*sigh* so I am looking at the reviews of the commercials before half-time and I see this...

Congratulations, salesgenie.com. You are the early frontrunner for worst Super Bowl commercial. Did you really take out a $2.6 million ad for that?

I SAID it was totally going to be considered the worst commercial of the game and so far it is looking like I am right. Apparently the CEO wrote the ad himself and apparently the point was sort of to make the worst ad so that it would make it on the news shows in the morning and let people see it again for free.

Umm....yeah I work there. :roll: I hope he is right about the free advertising or I am going to be annoyed that all the work they did before the ad aird pushed off the work I needed them to do!...lol

mrs desert rain
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
*sigh* so I am looking at the reviews of the commercials before half-time and I see this...

Congratulations, salesgenie.com. You are the early frontrunner for worst Super Bowl commercial. Did you really take out a $2.6 million ad for that?

I SAID it was totally going to be considered the worst commercial of the game and so far it is looking like I am right. Apparently the CEO wrote the ad himself and apparently the point was sort of to make the worst ad so that it would make it on the news shows in the morning and let people see it again for free.

Umm....yeah I work there. :roll: I hope he is right about the free advertising or I am going to be annoyed that all the work they did before the ad aird pushed off the work I needed them to do!...lol

uhm.... sheesh. my DH and I kept waiting for a punch line or sumthin'.

godaddy.com did something similar last year (or two years ago? can't remember). anyway, they gained a ton of business after airing a spot that featured two gals that were completely spilling out of their teeny shirts -- completely pointless to their services, of course. but, it worked. (for them)

brendajos
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Well I didn't see it until Friday afternoon and couldn't believe how bad it was. I had talked to one of the guys who is ACTUALLY in that division (unlike being in mine where we just try to steal their business :teehee:) and he was saying that we will be pleasantly surprised by it...that it was good and wouldn't be considered the worst ad ever.

When he walked away my admin and i joked that he had the look on his face that seemed like he was scared to talk and that they were monitoring his every word...lol

stitchwitch
02-04-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm not a huge football fan, I do watch college ball though. We went to the super bowl in 2001 when it was in Tampa and I watch each year because I like the energy of it. There is nothing like the energy surrounding the stadium prior to and during the superbowl. I had a headache by the time we got inside that day and it was almost an emotional letdown to leave, it's weird, thousands of hyped up people all in one place, you can cut the electricity with a knife.

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Frankly, I think the Puppy Bowl has been much more interesting... :roflhard:

Vendie
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Yay Colts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

:cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby: :cheering: :woot: :blooby:

Stiney
02-04-2007, 11:11 PM
and...umm....we do have more than football in the midwest. :verysad:

Yeah, you have corn, too! :thumbsup:

:out:

:teehee: I keed, I keed. :flirt:

Ronda
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers!!!! Oh, sorry. That wasnt one of the options! :)

Congrats to the Colts!

Stiney
02-09-2007, 02:32 PM

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I remembered you writing this when I was reading my email today. I'm on a publishing news email list, and last night, this article (http://www.businesscommonsense.com/story/story_singlepg.bsp?sid=46604&var=story) was in my inbox.

About how salesgenie.com had THE BEST commercial in the SuperBowl because they are the only ones to follow the advertising rules, AND they have seen a return on their investment. :thumbsup:

brendajos
02-09-2007, 02:51 PM
yeah i have been working late every night and am starting to lose my voice from talking to people. The information about our company isn't ENTIRELY true (in that we are not in the least relatively small amongst other things) but we have had people in the office working 14 hour days and some people were in on Sunday after the game until after 1am. Apparently there are reps in that group that are working on commission checks that will be around $15k and above. My group doesn't have the same plan they do so we won't get there but it should still be a good month! ;)

They are running it again during some golf thing this weekend.

All that being said..... it still sucked! :teehee: (ya know in that entertaining sorta way ;) )

Stiney
02-09-2007, 02:53 PM
yeah i have been working late every night and am starting to lose my voice from talking to people. The information about our company isn't ENTIRELY true (in that we are not in the least relatively small amongst other things) but we have had people in the office working 14 hour days and some people were in on Sunday after the game until after 1am. Apparently there are reps in that group that are working on commission checks that will be around $15k and above. My group doesn't have the same plan they do so we won't get there but it should still be a good month! ;)

They are running it again during some golf thing this weekend.

All that being said..... it still sucked! :teehee: (ya know in that entertaining sorta way ;) )

I haven't seen the commercial in question, but plan on checking it out when I get home. I hope this month is excellent for you. :-D

miccisue
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Football: It has a team of 11 players (mainly men) who kick a ball about with their feet - at least, that's what I've been told.

Americans do this differently, their football is thrown about by hand.

Limey

I don't know if anyone really answered your question, but the players wear "eye black" to cut down on the glare from the sun. Now, there are several games played in domes, at night, in the rain, etc. I don't know if the eye black helps any with lights in a domed stadium, but I have read where players have gotten so used to using it that they put it on even for games not played under sunlight. Does that help any?