PDA

View Full Version : purling...

hydeemarie
02-04-2007, 12:44 PM
so if its called garter stitch for knitting every row, what is it called when you purl every row? :?? xxx

MiaZilla
02-04-2007, 12:47 PM
That would also be garter stitch :) Stockinette is when you knit one row, purl one row throughout and ribbing is when you alternate between kniting and purling.

hydeemarie
02-04-2007, 03:31 PM
That would also be garter stitch :) Stockinette is when you knit one row, purl one row throughout and ribbing is when you alternate between kniting and purling.
I know all of that.. i just wasnt sure what to call it when i knit a scarf where i purl every row thanx xxx xxx

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 04:02 PM
i just wasnt sure what to call it when i knit a scarf where i purl every row thanx xxx xxx

Why on earth would you purl every row when it would be a lot easier to knit every row!? I don't mind purling, but it's not as fast or easy as the knit stitch.

hydeemarie
02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't know.. :shrug: im weird like that. I love to purl... lol. seriously. I dunno. xxx

Braden
02-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't know.. :shrug: im weird like that. I love to purl... lol. seriously. I dunno. xxx

I've never heard anyone that likes to purl that much. I like purling ok, but I'd never purl an entire scarf. :shrug:

SbutterAMfly
02-05-2007, 08:19 AM
I think it would be called reverse garter stitch.
But that's just me.

of troy
02-05-2007, 08:52 AM
pattern stitches in knitting are named for there final appearance, not for the method used to create them.

so stocking knit is a pattern that is characterized by:
having a fabric that is smooth on one side (with the 'interlocking Vs' and bumby on the other side, showing the passage of the yarn, and the heads of the stitches. each side of the fabric has a very different appearence

Garter stitch is :
a horizontally ridged fabric, with alternateing rows of smooth knit stitches, (the receed) and bumby purl stitches both sides of the fabric have an identical appearance.

When knitting flat (and turning the work at the end of every row), stocking knit is created by working alternate rows of Knits and Purls.

when working in the round, stocking knit is created by knitting every row.

When knitting flat (and turning the work at the end of every row), garter stitches is created by by knitting every row.

when working in the round, stocking knit is created by woking alternate rows of Knits and Purls

there is similar confusion with sead stitch and 1 X 1 ribbing (both patterns consist of "*K1, P1!)

IN KNITTING IT IS THE FINAL APPEARANCE, NOT THE PROCESS THAT DEFINES THE "PATTERN". (this can't be said often enough!)
(and while i don't usually purl every stitch/every row for garter, i too, don't mind purling and have worked patterns backwards and ended up with more rows of purls than knits. )