PDA

View Full Version : OT: Countdown to Harry Potter book 7

Jackie M.
02-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I see there might be a helpline for people, because two main characters will die. Have we gotten so involved with this story that we need a helpline?

lissalue
02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
i am kind of afraid to read it, cause i don't know who will die. that last one was a major shock, not sure if i can take anymore :teehee: i know of some people who will need a helpline, but i don't think i am one of them.

Jackie M.
02-04-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm afraid to read it too. I work in a library so I think I will let others read it first. If I hear who dies and it's my favorite characters, I probably won't read it. I'll just ask about the answers to all those unanswered questions we all have.

mrs desert rain
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM
I see there might be a helpline for people, because two main characters will die. Have we gotten so involved with this story that we need a helpline?

yes, we have. :pout:

i read the first one in 1999. i finished #6 before we moved away from LA. the night i finished it, i drew a hot bath and sobbed*.

*this is atypical. my DH has long referred to me as non-emotional, as in a non-cryer, non-pitier type. but i guess i have a soft spot for bearded old men... :?? :teehee:

PCwombat
02-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Oh, I cannot wait for the book to come out. And, yeah, I'm nervous about the deaths. And you just know it's gonna be everyone's favorite characters, and it's going to be so angsty.

Mariblue
02-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I love this series, and I am really looking forward to the next book too. It's a battle between good and evil, and people die in battles like that.
That has been JK Rowling's gift, she has made these characters so real and alive, that people mourn them when they die.
Mariblue

MiaZilla
02-04-2007, 05:56 PM
I have list of three people that I really want to make it alive. Unfortunatley, the chanses are NOT good :pout:

*pets Minerva, Remus and Snape* My dahlings! :verysad:

psammeadred
02-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, one of the deaths has definitely got to be Lord Moldyshorts, so that's one down. We only have to worry about one favorite character. (Of course, if your favorite character IS Tommy M. Riddle, we've got other issues...)

I'm holding out for my beloved Remus Lupin, Tonks, Neville, and the Weasleys.

Can we post theories about what we think will happen, or will that be spoiling the people who haven't read all the books?

lissalue
02-04-2007, 06:33 PM
i would think as long as "possible spoilers" was added to the title, we would be fine :shrug:

Jackie M.
02-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I would Liketo think that Harry will be head of Hogwarts. Dumbledore himself talked about how mature Harry is and how smart and brave, even more than anyone he knew with more age and wisdom. I feel like that was a hint that Harry would take over as the main figure at Hogwarts. That's just my hope. He will marry Ginnie and have little Hoglets.

I think Snape will die, but scared of who the other will be, besides Lord Moldyshorts (LOL@psammeadread)

Mrs. Desert Rain, I have never become so emotional reading a book either but I even cried in book 4! And seeing the movie I really boo hooed.
Okay, my prediction done.

Birdy
02-04-2007, 08:03 PM
My husband and I love these books!

I can read super fast... I read book 6 in 1 day...

Anyhow... then my husband reads the book. He was yelling at me the whole time not to tell him... Every single time I walked into a room he was in... "DON' T TELL"

[Normally I'll do something like... okay, with Eragon, for example, I told him to pay really close attention to the part with the Elephant because it was very important to the plot. Those of you who have read it know there is NO elephant. That got me a smack for being smart. Sometimes I DO give away something because it is just too much for me to contain...]

So maybe I would need the hotline, just so I wouldn't have my husband out to get me because I "ruined" the book :roflhard:

Err... I should be clear here.... by smack, I'm not talking abuse or something similar...

mks22300
02-04-2007, 08:27 PM
I think that we can be fairly sure that Voldemort will be one of the characters to die and my wish (just 'cause I don't want it to be Remus, any of the Weasley's, the Trio, or Neville) for the second character to die will be Snape, as he saves Harry or something along those lines.
Oh, I can't belive there isn't going to be another book after this one. :pout:

dreadfull
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
My Predictions are:

-Harry will have to die in order to kill Voldemort. (you know the whole martyr, sacrifice thing)

-possibly hermione or Ron will die to save the other. (how romantic)

I also really really hope hagrid dies. everyone hates when I say this, but I just cannot stand hagrid. when I reread the books i skip over the parts that are mostly about him.

brendajos
02-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Well my friends and I have been discussing it at great length over the last few years (much to the chagrin of Dustina I think :teehee:) and I think we may have come to the conclusion that the last of Voldemort's horcrux will be in he scar on Harry's forhead and that in order for him to die Harry will have to as well.

I do know that it is very likely that I will not be out of Barnes and Noble's parking lot before I know whether or not Harry survives it. :roll:

Jackie M.
02-04-2007, 08:51 PM
[Normally I'll do something like... okay, with Eragon, for example, I told him to pay really close attention to the part with the Elephant because it was very important to the plot. Those of you who have read it know there is NO elephant. ..

Um, I haven't read the book but wanted to. Thanks for the tip about the elephant! :nails:

:teehee:

HollyP
02-04-2007, 11:09 PM
I am quite possibly one of the biggest Harry Potter geeks..errr I mean fans out there!
I think Voldemort has to die. I hope Harry doesn't but it seems likely so that other stories won't be written later ( Like, Scarlett the sequel to Gone with the Wind). I really want the Weasleys esp Ginny to make it out alive. Have you all seen the stickers they are giving out w/ preorders? Snape is good or Snape is evil! I am still not sure which I would choose! There are interesting arguments for both sides.
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that JK said Harry's scar was not the horicrux since they are all inanimate objects.

July 21st can't come soon enough for me!!

Chrissie
02-05-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm hoping that Snape will sacrifice himself to save Harry, so he and Voldemort will die. None of the kids should die....that would be just wrong....

dreadfull
02-05-2007, 12:16 AM
also, i'm thinking it makes sense for snape to save harry or be good in the end eventually. Jo would want her books to have a moral of forgiveness and second chances. i don't think it makes sense for dumbledore to have been wrong... it just doesn't work ina children's novel.
although i would ove it if snape was just pure evil. no redemption, no nothing

Eloewien
02-05-2007, 02:10 AM
I just can't wait. I'm taking the day after as a vacation day so I can read it... my boss is too.

Compulsive
02-05-2007, 02:11 AM
Senerio 1:
Harry & Voldemart will die along with Professor Mc Gonagall :crying: . Snape will try to save them, but will fail. He'll also take over as Head Master of Hogwarts. Hagrid shall be cleared of any wrong doing and allowed to practice magic. Dumbledore is not dead (My wishful thinking). Wasn't he a transfiguation professor many years ago? Isn't Dumbledore's Patronus a phoenix? Fawkes is a phoenix, & according to Rowlings, will appear in book 7.

Senerio 2:

Draco will die trying to save Harry. Of course Voldemart will die due to the horcrux. Snape shall be named Head Master of Hogwarts due to selfishly attempting to save Harry from death along with our other favorite characters. Dumbledore is not dead (my wishful thinking). Wasn't he a transfiguation professor many years ago? Isn't Dumbledore's Patronus a phoenix? Fawkes is a phoenix. & according to Rowlings, will appear in book 7.

We are such Hogwarts fans at our house and have not one, not two, but SIX sets of books--3 sets of American 1st editions & 3 sets of UK editions.

I don't want the series to end. :verysad: My name is Compulsive and I'm addicted to everything Harry Potter. Anyone up for a butter beer?

Yarnlady
02-05-2007, 08:37 AM
I got this link on another list, with lots of HP knitting patterns http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#static:crafts/knitting However, on the Book 7 FAQ, http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#book:7 there is all the information we know for sure...sorta. :??

I think HP almost has to die, Snape will prove he's good guy, Draco with betray the Deatheaters, and I refuse to believe Dumbledore is dead. Even if it's proven by someone opening up his coffin, I refuse to believe it. :wall:

Jackie M.
02-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't want the series to end. :verysad: My name is Compulsive and I'm addicted to everything Harry Potter. Anyone up for a butter beer?

Have you tried pumpkin juice yet? I looked it up online and there are several recipes, but I haven't tried one. I think after book 7, we should all hold a toast to Rowling (as long as she doesn't kill any of the trio) using our own homemade pumpkin juice, or butter beer if I can find that one.

Jackie M.
02-05-2007, 10:34 AM
I think HP almost has to die, Snape will prove he's good guy, Draco with betray the Deatheaters, and I refuse to believe Dumbledore is dead. Even if it's proven by someone opening up his coffin, I refuse to believe it. :wall:

LOL.....JK Rowling insists Dumbledore is dead. But I'm with you. I'm still holding out hope. I like the phoenix idea.

Ronda
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I sort of skipped through these posts because I'm *supposed* to be working right now, but I couldn't resist the HP subject.

There's an echo in here: I cannot wait for the last book to come out BUT I'm going to be sad that the whole thing is over. I hope Harry lives. The poor kid deserves a break, IMHO. Actually, I hope all the kids live (Harry, Ron, Hermione, etc.).

Now, I'll get back to work and read this thread later. Just had to chime in for a minute!

Chrissie
02-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Dumbledore is dead...JK Rowling said so. But that doesn't mean that he won't talk to everyone through his portrait.

I forgot about Draco.....he might be the one to die, after joining the good side. Voldy would have it in for him if he went over to that side. But I don't want him to....he's a kid. No more kids should die.....Cedric was enough.

Chrissie
02-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm probably going to need that helpline..... :pout: :verysad: :waah:

Jackie M.
02-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Whispering......HI RONDA! :waving:

Jackie M.
02-05-2007, 10:54 AM
No more kids should die.....Cedric was enough.

Oh No.....here it comes again......Cedric..........sniff sniff...... :waah:

Ronda
02-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Whispering......HI RONDA! :waving:

:teehee: My work server is down, so I'm back again!

Knitting_Guy
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Who is Harry Potter? Famous knitter?

Jackie M.
02-05-2007, 09:01 PM

Well, he wears homemade knitted sweaters, knitted by his best friend's mother! :D

psammeadred
02-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Hermione knits, and so does Mrs. Weasley. There's a knitalong idea - replicate Hermione's "woolly bladder" house-elf-freeing hats!

mks22300
02-05-2007, 09:20 PM
I'd forgotten about Draco! :doh: Yeah, even though I don't want any of the kids to die.....he'd would be one I wouldn't be too upset over....
I think if JK killed off Harry, it would be like killing her own child, which is why I don't think he'll die, (please, please, please! :teehee: )
It'll be a Harry Potter July, that's for sure! OoTP comes out the week before. :happydance:

Renoah
02-06-2007, 01:46 AM
There's a knitalong idea - replicate Hermione's "woolly bladder" house-elf-freeing hats!
I am convinced that Jo was spying on my failed hat-knitting ventures when she wrote that. :doh:

Oh, I wish I hadn't seen this thread! I had managed to stay in blissful ignorance of Book 7 things for a good long while, but now that I know two characters are going to die, I'm going to spend the next five months in agony, wondering who it is. Pass the antidepressants, please. :pout:

Yarnlady
02-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd forgotten about Draco! :doh: Yeah, even though I don't want any of the kids to die.....he'd would be one I wouldn't be too upset over....
Am I the only one that feels sorry for Draco? :pout: Yes, he was a school yard bully, but that's only because of his dad. Draco's terrified of everything and now he has face the most horrible thing in the world, killing someone, or face Voldemort and loose his own father. He's really in a bad position for a kid that hasn't chosen to be evil but is having evil thrust upon him...... :verysad:

becjo
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
OH man! Listening to you guys has me ALL excited about the final book! After this last book and Dumbledore dying, I don't put anything past JK Rowling on who she's going to kill. Could even be Harry! That way the series does end - as she wants.

I always envisioned Harry marrying Ginny and Ron and Hermione marrying and then they would all be family! AAHH - Happy ending! But we don't normally get happy endings in these books.

I'm still upset about Syrius Black being killed - that one bothers me more than any of the deaths!

I can't wait!!!!! :happydance:

mks22300
02-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Am I the only one that feels sorry for Draco? :pout: Yes, he was a school yard bully, but that's only because of his dad. Draco's terrified of everything and now he has face the most horrible thing in the world, killing someone, or face Voldemort and loose his own father. He's really in a bad position for a kid that hasn't chosen to be evil but is having evil thrust upon him...... :verysad:

You're right about feeling sorry for Draco, he hasn't had it easy. But I know I wouldn't be as upset if it were Draco than if it were Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Neville.

brendajos
02-10-2007, 01:25 AM
Okay I think I have followed this whole thread so I don't think I have seen this (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/itemid_30896/books_display) posted but if it is.... oops! :teehee:

Yarnlady
02-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Charmed Knits has been posted in other threads I think. I've already pre-ordered mine from the local Borders.... :teehee:

mks22300
02-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Is there a place where you can check out the patterns?

brendajos
02-10-2007, 09:18 PM
i didn't see anything besides that one picture of the cute little hat that KP shows. Amazon didn't show anything either. :wall:

Well here's (http://alison.knitsmiths.us/) the designer's blog but I don't see any sneak peeks yet. :shrug:

Jackie M.
02-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Just had to get my HP avatar in there in honor of the year of Potter.

psammeadred
02-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Great icon, Jackie!

So, who do you all like better as Dumbledore: Richard Harris or Michael Gambon? If you could pick another actor for a character, who would it be?

Jackie M.
02-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Great icon, Jackie!

So, who do you all like better as Dumbledore: Richard Harris or Michael Gambon? If you could pick another actor for a character, who would it be?

I love your avatar too. I guess the non-Potter fans won't know what it means :teehee:

I still think Harris made a much better Dumbledore. Gambon is too energized and doesn't seem as wise. I don't have a clue who else would be good in the role. I don't want to put anyone else there considering his fate :pout:

AmandaC
02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
I think there would be uproar if Harry was killed .... I also think the 2 people will be extra to Voldemort .... Maybe Neville, Cho, Hagrid, Remus, Tonks .... someone that isn't one of the main 3. :shrug:

I too am hoping deep down that Dumbledore isn't dead and that Snape is somehow 'good'.

I am so excited .... Hurry up July!!!!

Liliyarn
02-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Okay..so I didn't know about Charmed Knits. I'm soooo gonna buy it :teehee:

Ronda
02-17-2007, 09:26 PM

Harris, Harris, Harris. I really miss him as Dumbledore. When I read the books, I still hear his voice. He was the PERFECT Dumbledore. I don't think he can be replaced.

KathyinCali
02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
[quote=psammeadred]Great icon, Jackie!

I still think Harris made a much better Dumbledore. Gambon is too energized and doesn't seem as wise. I don't have a clue who else would be good in the role. I don't want to put anyone else there considering his fate :pout:

I'm with you. I feel the same way about Gambon - most especially in the Goblet of Fire. It seemed to me like he was yelling! I noticed it during the movie, it really stood out to me.

psammeadred
02-20-2007, 10:54 PM
Great icon, Jackie!

I'm with you. I feel the same way about Gambon - most especially in the Goblet of Fire. It seemed to me like he was yelling! I noticed it during the movie, it really stood out to me.

I agree with both of you - it seems to me like Dumbledore is someone we should initially underestimate. He comes across as a very slightly senile old man ("Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"), but there is a power in him that most people don't see.

Michael Gambon just doesn't twinkle.

I'm also not seeing Alan Rickman as Snape - he's a great actor, but he's...not the Snape that I see in my head when I read the books. Ditto for Gary Oldman as Sirius Black and David Thewlis as Remus Lupin (that mustache...*snort*).

Maggie Smith as McGonagall, however, is FANTASTIC. The cough drop line had better be in the OOTP movie!