PDA

View Full Version : Boye Circular Needles

Knitting_Guy
02-04-2007, 07:52 PM
I accidentally dropped one of the needles I have been using to knit my scarf and, in the process of retrieving it I stepped on it (hey, a truck is a bit cramped ya know). The needle was bent pretty badly. I straightened it but it creased a bit.

As the new Boye circ I bought the other day is the same size I decided to knit the scarf over to the circ and try it out.

I like the feel of the circ even though it is a bit awkward for me at the moment as I am used to handling much longer needles. I can see using circs all of the time once I get used to it.

The thing is, I thought Boye was supposed to be a good brand, or am I wrong about this? The "wire" is basically thick nylon line, like a heavy fishing line or something, and it definitely has some memory to it. It doesn't hang straight at all but has a mind of it's own and wants to bend and curve.

Is it supposed to be like this? Somehow I thought it would be more flexible and pliant. I feel like I'm fighting with the needle as much as trying to knit.

Maybe I just have to get used to it.

Braden
02-04-2007, 08:07 PM
The Boyes are great for beginners, but I know the cable can feel stiff. I would suggest, once you get better, to but higher quality circular needles, like Addi Turbos (http://www.skacelknitting.com/) or KnitPicks Options (http://www.KnitPicks.com/)

madametj
02-04-2007, 08:08 PM
i luv my Boye straights, but i gotta tell u, i cannot stand their circular needles :-x

bought a pair of 10 1/2 circs from them and couldn't last more than four rows on any project i tried with them. i couldn't stand fighting with the cable. plus, its really hard to slide to stitches of from the cable to the needle sometimes. i literally had to cut my yarn to get it off one time. :wall: :grrr:

i say you just get a different needle. i've found it pretty much impossible to find any good ones at places like Hobby Lobby and Walmart though.

~sigh~ if they're the only ones you have access to, though, i've heard that putting them in boiling water helps a little :shrug: . maybe they'll get better with use?

Good luck :hug: (and sorry for ranting) hope they work out for you

Braden
02-04-2007, 08:12 PM
i luv my Boye straights, but i gotta tell u, i cannot stand their circular needles :-x

bought a pair of 10 1/2 circs from them and couldn't last more than four rows on any project i tried with them. i couldn't the fighting with the cable. plus, its really hard to slide to stitches of from the cable to the needle sometimes. i literally had to cut my yarn to get it off one time. :wall: :grrr:

i say you just get a different needle. i've found it pretty much impossible to find any good ones at places like Hobby Lobby and Walmart though.

~sigh~ if they're the only ones you have access to, though, i've heard that putting them in boiling water helps a little :shrug: . maybe they'll get better with use?

Exactly! In my experience, even the boiling water doesn't work, so the Boye Circulars just suck. But, if that is all you can find, that is what I would use.

momwolf
02-04-2007, 08:19 PM
I put mine in hot coffee because its hotter then my tap water Just put the cable in all the way to needle for 20 30 40 seconds and then when you take it out pull on needle ends till cool,about 20 seconds.And no it hasn't stain my Boyes.So go order up some hot coffe and donuts and dunk your cables first and then your donuts

madametj
02-04-2007, 08:21 PM

bought a pair of 10 1/2 circs from them and couldn't last more than four rows on any project i tried with them. i couldn't the fighting with the cable. plus, its really hard to slide to stitches of from the cable to the needle sometimes. i literally had to cut my yarn to get it off one time. :wall: :grrr:

Exactly! In my experience, even the boiling water doesn't work, so the Boye Circulars just suck. But, if that is all you can find, that is what I would use.

when i tried the water, it straightened them out a little, but it was still reeally stiff and in a few minutes it just curled right back up again.

you may also want to consider ordering a few sizes of the Denise (http://www.knitdenise.com/collections/all-products/) needles. Since, you're a beginner you may have trouble with dropping stitches on the KnitPicks Options, they're very slippery.

Knitting_Guy
02-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks, that explains my experience here. I was just looking at the Knitpicks Options on their website. I think I'll just order the kit and go from there.

I'll keep fighting with this Boye until I can get to a store and buy a replacement for the one I bent. I'm sure it's usable enough, I just think that the stitches will be catching on that crease I put it in. Maybe I'll knit it back over to them and try it, this cable really is stiff.

Can anyone who has ordered from Knitpicks tell me how long it normally takes to receive the order from them? That will determine whether I have them shipped to my home in Florida or my office in Wisconsin.

brendajos
02-04-2007, 08:39 PM
we have all had varying experiences with KP. If I order using the free shipping it takes well over a week almost two weeks to get stuff to me. Whenever I have enough to qualify for the free shipping I spring for the extra $8 to get the faster shipping. It is 3 day select from UPS and I usually get it in 2 days it seems then. (I am in Nebraska btw.)

Jan in CA
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
I bought a Boye circular for my first one and I ended up hating it. I bought the Denise Interchangeables and like those much better. I also have several of Knitpicks circs and Addis.

aineepooh1
02-04-2007, 08:50 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: My Denises'... I like the feel of resin/ plastic :teehee: ... it's not cold like metal(IMHO) and it's not hard~~
I sprung for Denises' back in Sept.. I have been using them ever since~~!! Love em'
the only time I have used straights since is when my DB and his wife gave me Boye's 13/17/ straights and lovely YARN~!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Knitting_Guy
02-04-2007, 08:55 PM
I think I will order the Knit Picks Options after I get home tomorrow and can add some cash to my prepaid credit card. I looked at the Turbos and Denise (I'm not a fan of plastic), and decided the Options kit would be the best bet for me.

I will definitely go the additional express shipping as I would like to get them while I am home this week.

Thanks for all the advice.

brendajos
02-04-2007, 09:00 PM
THEY AREN'T PLASTIC!!!!!

whew...okay

One thing to consider is that the options are so smooth it is easier to lose stitches on them until you get used to them. The Denise needles are a wonderful in between when it comes to needles because they are still nice and smooth but there is just enough cling to them to keep them from dropping stitches easily. I never would have sold mine if I wasn't wanting a thinner cord (and i already knew i loved the metal needles.)

Knitting_Guy
02-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Ok, ok...resin. (Fancy plastic) :rofl:

brendajos
02-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok, ok...resin. (Fancy plastic) :rofl:

:grrr: :fingerwag:

:teehee:

suzeeq
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Boye cables can be stiff at first, but they straighten out some with use, and putting into hot water. I bought a cable and tips for the interchangeable set and the cable had a big U in it. Ran it under really hot water, pulled out straight, then cooled and it only has a circular curve in it now. I never had the problem with the older ones, but they were very thing and a couple have broken, so they must have decided to make them sturdier.

sue

aineepooh1
02-05-2007, 12:10 AM
BrendaJos~ Thank you for clarifying that point~~!!
I now am more informed about the difference b/w plastic and resin~! :happydance: :happydance:
I STILL LOVE MY DENISES' :heart: :cheering: :heart: :cheering:

brendajos
02-05-2007, 12:12 AM

I actually tried a plastic needle when i first started knitting. If that had been the very first needle i had ever used i would likely have not continued knitting...it was :!!!: TERRRRRRRRRIBLE!

lauraknits
02-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Mason,

If you are used to the aluminum Boyes I don't think you'll have much issues with dropping stitches with the slippery KP Options. I went from Boyes circs to KP's with no probs, they aren't really that much more slippery, at least to me. Enjoy them!

Yarnlady
02-05-2007, 08:43 AM
I have the Boye's Needlemaster set and the cables are stiffer than Denise's but not curls in them.

I know the regular Boyes, if stored curled with retain their curliness longer. I store my regular circulars hanging over a narrow tube (part of the floor lamp I have). I think that has a lot to do with permanently working the curls out....

becjo
02-05-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm not a fan of the Boye's circular or the Susan Bates because on the needles, there is a wierd little curve, like a small "L" shape and I HATE that thing!!!! I actually prefer bamboo circular needles - they are very straight. That's just what works for me.

aineepooh1
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Mason~
Have you ordered your OPtions yet?

nadja la claire
02-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Mason, you should know that Options are Very pointy and can split your yarn. So you might concider knitting some practice swatches until you get used to them. I :heart: :heart: :heart: my Options but this was an issue for me when I first started using them.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

madametj
02-05-2007, 08:04 PM

I actually tried a plastic needle when i first started knitting. If that had been the very first needle i had ever used i would likely have not continued knitting...it was :!!!: TERRRRRRRRRIBLE!

i actually have a pair of lion brand's plastic needles (it was only my 2nd pair, i didnt know any better), and i didn't mind working with them until recently when somehow they chipped and they made my yarn snag really bad :-x sanding them probably won't even do any good since they're plastic so i guess now they're just pretty much useless. :doh:

suzeeq
02-06-2007, 01:57 AM
You could sand plastic ones; what would it hurt to try out? I have some old nylon ones that a cat chewed up, so at the transition from needle to cord, it's very rough. I got some plumber's tape because it's very thin and stretchy and wrapped around the rough part and they're usable again. I just have to have slick yarn.

sue

aylaanne
02-06-2007, 03:27 AM
I have to say, I have a boye circular, and I have the boye interchangable set, and I like them. In fact, when I bought an addi turbo to work on this baby blanket with, I had a harder time getting the stitches up onto the needle from where they had weighed down on the cable. The stiffness of the boye cable helps me to pull the weight of the work up onto the needle.

I'm not so sure that this was easy to understand but that's why I like the boyes.

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all the input folks. I haven't yet ordered the Options. Once I got home from the road yesterday I was simply too tired to go back out and load the money onto my card to place the order.

I may just have to put them off for a little while as I was also greeted by an unexpected bill when I got home (I hate those).

Jan in CA
02-06-2007, 01:45 PM
I may just have to put them off for a little while as I was also greeted by an unexpected bill when I got home (I hate those).

Ugh! :wall: Those are the worst!

brownishcoat
02-06-2007, 02:07 PM
If you want to try another option (to get you through until you can get your Options - I have them and think they are the bestest! :heart: :heart: :heart: ), some people store their circs hanging up. For example, I'd take a clothespin and clip the needle end to a hanger and put a couple of clothespins on the other end to add some weight. Let them hang overnight, and they might be a little easier to work with.

Also, there is no rule that says you can't use the circ and the non-bendy straight at the same time. You might like that option, too.

:D

Jeremy
02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
I own both the Boye and the Denise sets and prefer the Denise. However, I would say that the Boye interchangeable set is much more manageble than the single needle circulars. In addition, you can often get Boyes at half price at AC Moore or Michaels because of their 50% off coupons. If I didn't have the Denise's I would be content with the Boyes.

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Just got back from stocking up on enough groceries to get me through my home time. I tried to go as cheap as possible hoping I would have enough left over to order the Options. No such luck. I could order them but then I'd be broke until Friday when I get paid again. As much as I would like to order the Options, I need my beer money for the rest of the week :rofl:

Hanging sounds like something worth trying. It'll work while I am home and I'm going to do that, but once I go back on the road that's no longer an option.

While doing my shopping I just had to cruise through the crafts section to see what kinds of needles they had. I almost bought a couple more Boye circs but talked myself out of it as I'm not happy with the one I have. Geez, it's almost a compulsion.

madametj
02-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Hanging sounds like something worth trying.

ok, see, if we weren't talking about circs, that statement right there would sound sooo wrong..... :shock:

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Hanging sounds like something worth trying.

ok, see, if we weren't talking about circs, that statement right there would sound sooo wrong..... :shock:

:roflhard:

snowbear
02-06-2007, 11:35 PM
One thing you might try on the road... take a small garmet bag.. like one just for shirts... (since you're soo great at keeping all the hangers...lol) and use one or two of the hangers to hang the circs.. that way if they fall, they will still be contained in the bag.

just a thought...

:??

ok... back to finishing packing my knitting bag for the unteen time... everything else is ready but that... gezzzz so much yarn so little time...