PDA

View Full Version : SSK

Nikki
02-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Hello everyone. I'm making the mitered square blanket from Mason Dixon Knitting and the SSK is part of the decreases. Everywhere I look there are different ways to do the SSK. Slip to Knit, Slip to Purl, Knit two together OR slip both to knit.

Does anyone here no the right way for this blanket?

redwitch
02-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Sorry babe... there is no right way. People do whichever they prefer. The closest you'll get is the one that the writers of the pattern intended, and if they didn't specify, they were negligent, but there's really very little difference. You just have to use the one you prefer overall, or the one you think looks best for these pieces.
Sarah

Vendie
02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
While there are a lot of ways to SSK (and everyone is constantly trying to improve it), probably the most common way is to slip the two stitches knitwise, and knit them together throught the back loop. AT least this is how I do it.

Another nice way to do it, is to slip the first stitch knitwise, slip the next stitch purlwise, and then knit those two stitches together through the back loop. This tightens the resulting stitch a little bit.

Nikki
02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks to both of you, I wish it had be specified. Or maybe it is and I haven't read closely enough. Again, many thanks.

FiberGirl-great game yesterday wasn't it?

CarmenIbanez
02-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I can't tell you how many times I have finished a really hard part of a pattern, only to find there is some other or additional explanation somewhere else in the pattern!

I do the SSK the same as mentioned above, slip as if to knit twice, then knit tog through the back loop.

Vendie
02-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks to both of you, I wish it had be specified. Or maybe it is and I haven't read closely enough. Again, many thanks.

FiberGirl-great game yesterday wasn't it?

You'll find it vague in most patterns. Some patterns even just say decrease 1 stitch, instead of indicating ssk, k2tog, p2tog, etc.

And yes, it was a fabulous game! I'm so happy for them!