PDA

View Full Version : Is there a place on this board for non yarn snobs?

miccisue
02-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I feel like I need to be in a Knitting Anonymous meeting...."I'm miccisue, and I use acrylic yarn". :verysad:

Seriously, for those who appreciate the natural fibers and high end yarns, more power to you. However, I'm starting to feel like those of us who use acrylics are on the outside looking in. I didn't think I'd find this on these boards, but as more time goes by, the more acrylic users seem to be looked down on. :psst: There appears to be a constant push to "upgrade" to wool, alpaca, silk, etc.; when most times the reason acrylic is used is because we either want practicality or simply can't afford to pay that much for a project.

All I'm asking is for a little understanding for those who use acrylic - we're not lepers, we're not any less of a knitter because of it. :shrug:

Thanks for listening.

jamiejeans
02-05-2007, 10:05 AM
OMG, I have never found this to be the case here, but I also haven't been visiting as often so maybe this is something new.

I personally don't find anything wrong with acrylic or non-natural fibers. I made a cowl neck sweater out of Bernat SuperChunky and it looks great... well at least the yarn part, not the cowl neck.

I can certainly see the case someone would make about natural vs non-natural as I use both and see differences, but again, I am really surprised you feel this way about the forum.

I'll be interesting in reading what others think!

Stonington
02-05-2007, 10:11 AM
miccisue,

You are not alone, I use whatever seems to match my project. My DD wanted a throw and picked out the yarn at Walmart- Bubblegum (I am sure you can get a visual lol) I knitted it for her with pleasure. This weekend I visited a yarn shop that is wonderful not far from where we live and bought some Malabrigo :heart: for another project. Folks here look down on no one. They are just excited about their newest purchases of yarn to be fondled. :cheering:

anne

SabrinaJL
02-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Count me in as an equal opportunity yarn user. :teehee: I just knit my DH a blanket out of 20 skeins of Caron Simply Soft. No way was I going to spend a lot of money on nice yarn for him to take on the ship. I also knit my daughter a pretty cool scarf out of Caron SS. I won't use Red Heart Super Saver though but that's just because it feels too rough to me.

dustinac
02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
:hug: I'm sorry you feel that way and I'm sure no one means to make you feel like that.. we all have different budgets on what we can spend and I say as long as you are happy knitting with the yarn you have then knit away... I use a little bit of everything depends on the project and the budget I have for it... :muah:

PinkRoses
02-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm working on a light blue sweater using Red Heart Soft yarn. 100% acrylic baaaaaaby! :happydance:

PinkRoses
02-05-2007, 10:19 AM
I also refuse to use the Red Heart Super Saver. Way too rough for me and I have pretty bad hand eczema right now so I would like to save my skin. :teehee:

redwitch
02-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I think that you may be misinterpreting some comments. I don't recall anyone being nasty or derogatory about acrylic any more than you'd expect from people expressing why they in particular prefer natural fibres and the things they dislike about acrylic for themselves, just as those who prefer acrylics are no more nasty and derogatory about the natural fibres than you'd expect from people expressing why they prefer acrylics and the things they dislike about natural fibres. People have a right to post things like 'I never use acrylic because I don't like the feel of it through my fingers/it's not warm enough.' etc. just as much as they do things like 'I never use cashmere or alpaca or anything like that because it's so expensive and it doesn't wear well, it's just not worth the results you get.' etc.

I don't know what you mean by being pushed to use expensive wools? Certainly if a poster sees a problem that may be improved with a natural fibre - like different softness/warmth/blocking qualities - he may say that x could help: but likewise, if he reads a post describing a problem to which he thinks the solution is using some acrylic-content wool - like 'I'm getting pilling/bad wear/can't afford such a big project because Debbie Bliss is SO expensive' - he may suggest using that acrylic wool. I don't see any misunderstanding or 'looking down'. I actually envy you lot with a good range: there isn't a lot of nice acrylic in my country, beside some 'novelty' wool, and I would like to be able to make gifts that wear well as well as being soft and blockable.
Most plain wool - read 'not-merino' is actually something I find quite rough and would hardly call high-end or luxurious. I think you'll find as many people disliking Homespun etc. as acrylic wools.

cookworm
02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
miccisue, I myself use mostly manmade fibers to knit with (and when I chose to knit with an animal fiber, nine times out of ten, it's Patons Classic Merino Wool, because it's a great value for a natural fiber, and because it's widely available at the chain retail craft stores). I'm a stay-at-home mom, and although I consider my knitting to be an "addiction", I just can't justify spending boatloads of money on yarn...it's just not in our budget. I'm not ashamed to admit it and don't feel like I have to apologize for that. Also, my LYS are SEVERELY limited on varieties of yarn, so in my opinion, they're not really worth driving out to (closest one is like 1/2 an hour away). So I frequent Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joann's, etc. for my yarn. I'm not ashamed of that, and I don't feel like I have to apologize to anybody, and neither should you. I will say that perhaps some people have a negative perspective on acrylic yarns because the ones they used to make many moons ago were rough and kind of poor quality, but now, they've come so far and there are so many beautiful textures and they can be so soft (yes, there are still some rough ones out there I think), I don't feel there should be "yarn snobbery". Knitting just means a person, their knitting needles, and their yarn, whatever yarn that happens to be. When I hear criticism over the use of non-animal/non-plant yarn (or even non-designer yarns), it reminds me of a high school mentality all over again--"You're an outcast if you're not using this type of fiber". It's kind of silly in my opinion. :teehee:

Don't worry about anything you might hear about using acrylic yarns. You've found yarns that work beautifully for your projects--whether it's based on preference, availability, or cost (doesn't matter!)--and you're knitting...just ignore anything you feel is negative. :hug: You'll never hear me scoff at acrylic yarns--I use them myself, and if it weren't for other acrylic knitters posting about their pleasant experiences with certain brands, I wouldn't know which ones to try that would yield good results.

Silver
02-05-2007, 11:02 AM
There is nothing wrong with acrylic yarns. Every yarn has it's place, and favorite use.

Yes, even Red Heart Super Saver. Personally, if I'm knitting a sweater for a ruff n tumble 5 year old boy, I DO NOT want to pay out the nose for a high end yarn that will need to be hand washed and coddled, especially when he will out grow it in a few months anyway! Why spend more? I think it's more unfair to the mom and boy than me! And my favorite yarn for baby items is Sirdar Snuggly nylon/acrylic blend! It's so soft and easy care.. mom can wash and dry it without a thought.

Sure, knitting with merino, cashmere, silk, alpaca, bamboo or mohair has it's charm... who doesn't love a fine fiber yarn? It's just lovely to work with. And I think it's natural to see a preference for them. They ARE nicer. But that doesn't mean that cheaper yarns aren't just a wonderful to use. Give me a cheap but soft acrylic and I'm happy as a clam! It has sooooo many more uses than say 100% cashmere. Who would knit a 5 year old a cashmere sweater anyway? :shrug:

I'm no yarn snob. I'm a yarn lover. Gimme yarn, any yarn, and I'll make something with it.

iza
02-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I understand miccisue, me too I just can't believe some people have the money to make entire sweaters out of expensive yarns. I have a tight budget too and as much as I love knitting, I want to keep some money for other stuff. I think however, as redwitch said, that people in general don't say you shouldn't use acrylic or are disrespectful towards people using it. I saw plenty FOs using Bernat, Caron, etc, and a lot of people complimenting the work. Everybody will agree that sometimes, acrylic is what you need, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I must admit though that I wished I had the money to buy expensive stuff. I suppose I am a yarn snob... However whether we like it or not, anything made by talented crafters will beat something made in a factory using the cheapest material to reduce the costs... :shrug: it's like comparing tv-dinners with mom's cooking.

lauraknits
02-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I knit with Caron Simply Soft. I knit with Lion 80%acrylic/20% wool. I also knit with Manos de Uruguay and Frog Tree Alpaca. What's wrong with that?

I don't think that most people who use natural fibers look down on those that choose not to.

I don't think it is any more fair to say that, than it would be to say that people who use acrylics look down on those who "waste their money" on expensive natural fibers.

It all has its place, and its ALL GOOD! :cheering:

SandraEllen
02-05-2007, 11:48 AM
I think I do remember some derogatory comments from someone (don't remember who and I'm NOT going to go look it up) about how acrylic yarn is worthless and plasticy.

I too think that every yarn has its place*, and that people have different budgets/climates/experiences/wash habits. Acrylic is fine for somethings, but sometimes I just really want a nice wool to make a keepsake out of. :shrug:

to each their own.

*except eyelash, but that's just means I only use it when people specifically ask for it...

Knitting_Guy
02-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I haven't felt ostracized because I use mostly acrylics. Sure, I plan to use better yarns for some stuff once my skills improve, but we use what we use.

Maybe you're just taking people's enthusiasm for the nicer yarns in the wrong way?

kellyh57
02-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I LOVE acrylic! I love throwing finished things in the washer & dryer and not having to worry! The only time I use naturals is when the item is to be felted! (Well, except for cotton dishcloths, but I stock up on S&C when it's on sale and it's machine washable/dryable.) I use the cheapest yarn I can find for most stuff. I have used plenty of Red Heart Super Saver and Caron Pefect Match. I was mad when I saw that Michaels raised the price to $2.36 instead of $2.17. Yeah. I'm cheap! Now, I haven't made anything wearable except scarves. If I were to make wearables, I'd step up a notch to Simply Soft or something like that, but cheap and easy care all the way for me. I've got little kids and don't have time to hand wash. I don't want to give something that won't last or has to be handwashed away either.

Kelly

Ingrid
02-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I really hope your feelings aren't hurt. All yarns do have a role--why would there be such a large stock in Michael's and ACMoore and such?

I have gotten to the point where I have a definite preference for natural fibers, or blends. It's my one indulgence--it makes me feel good to use them, and yes, I pay way too much for yarn. I certainly don't look down on someone who uses acrylics, though. Not AT ALL!

The only yarn I have distain for is Homespun because it looks so tempting and is really so awful in the long run. That's more of a warning than a criticism of people who do like it. I was sucked in by it's colors, too. Lionbrand has other nice yarns, and I certainly have a stock of Encore and Sugar & Cream.

I'm glad you posted about your feelings, though. We try to keep this the best board on the web by NOT making people feel bad. About anything. :hug:

mwedzi
02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh, people here are very open to acrylics. Many of us use them. In fact, I have a shrug on the needles for a friend in Caron Simply Soft Shadows, and I think the yarn is very attractive. There was a thread just a few days ago singing the praises of Red Heart Soft. And as I said before, the worst yarn I ever had in my stash was this 100% wool I got off Ebay. It was the scratchiest thing in the whole universe. Yep, I did an extensive survey and after deep study, concluded: scratchiest in the whole universe.

Mind you, I tried knitting some slippers with Red Heart Soft for my nanny on wood dpns and I couldn't make in past 5 rounds. Like most acrylics that I use on non-metal needles, it makes this awful kinda, I don't know, squeak, that is like someone running their nails on chalkboard to me. It's not it's just an unpleasant experience, it actually is almost painful.

In terms of affordability and hard-wearing, acrylic yarns can't be beat. But there are a lot more fibers out there and, in my opinion, they have qualities that acrylics can't beat. And there's nothing wrong with saying that, I think. I greatly prefer natural fibers, and not just any natural fiber, I don't care much for knitting with most 100% cotton (BSA is exception), more and more I find I prefer merino and silk. I can't always really afford them, either, and sometimes find myself eating rice and beans for a few meals because of nicer yarn. But hey, we all make our choices. :shrug: You use what you're comfortable with. Please don't be hurt when we're expressing our love of non-acrylic fibers.

nancydee
02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi,
Great -- this is an opportunity I have been meaning to take -- I think this site with all the questions, answers, comments, etc., etc. is the BEST! What makes it so great is the kindness and sincere desire by individuals to assist others and to make them feel good about what they are doing and what they are creating with all yarn. It does not matter what kind of yarn, what the project may be or how simple or complex the question may be, so many are willing to assist in so many ways. It is wonderful to know everyone is here and to experience the giving and receiving of all this site offers. Thank you everyone!!

nancydee

misha rf
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
One of the things I noticed when I signed up on this board was how many people here use (and love!) acrylic yarn. I was surprised--I figured a board like this would be populated by those who only use natural fibers. I'm glad I was wrong, and when I finish my purple project in Caron SuperSoft, I've got a place to share it. (It's my favorite purple yarn!) :D

Compulsive
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I use whatever moves me--be it Bernat Softee or Malabrigo,and happen to have tons of each. I've spent $15 on a skein of yarn based on other's reviews and HATED it. On the other hand, I've spent $1.98 per skein on Bernat Softee for the same reason and loved the feel of the yarn while kniting it and wearing the finished item.

I personally do not like most of the Lion Brand and ACK--Knit Picks lines--sue me. Those yarns feel scratchy to my skin. But I do love Caron Simply Soft, Bernat yarns, and several Paton's offerings.

Use what you love and forget what others have to say unless they're forking the bill for your yarn habit.

And a little secret: I've found that I can knit with higher end yarns for far less than yarns I find at my local Michael's (excepting Paton's SWS) by shopping online at Elann's (http://elann.com/), Little Knits (http://littleknits.com/), Web's Grandpa's Garage (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/1317/0-0-1294/) or Web's Closeout section (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/1314/0-0-1294/), and Ebay.

janelanespaintbrush
02-05-2007, 01:03 PM
:hug: I'm sorry you feel that way. I think most KHers go out of their way to be nonjudgmental. Still, I understand what you're talking about because when I first started knitting I suffered huge sticker shock. When I read through posts at KH, I started to worry that I would need to spend a lot of money if I wanted to have a decent end product -- fortunately I was wrong. What ultimately ended up happening is that, though I have developed a preference for natural fibers, I manage to keep costs way down by only buying yarn that's been heavily discounted.

If you prefer acrylic as a fiber, more power to you -- they definitely win the contest for easy care. But don't feel you have to "make do" because of your budget. If you're not into bargain-hunting as I am (it's a sport for me), it's possible to get amazingly luxurious yarn for hardly any money through recycling sweaters from second-hand shops.

KellyK
02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
How ya doin, Miccisue? Im hoping all these folks are helping you feel better! :hug:

I think that we are all just happy for each other when we find either a yarn that we adore, or a pattern or have finished an object. Just because someone is THRILLED with their natural fiber purchase, doesnt mean that they arent just as happy for you when you bring home a new haul from Michaels that makes you happy. A haul is a HAUL! We ALL love shopping for yarn!! :eyebrow:

One thing I have learned about knitters in general.... they are mostly welcoming of ANYONE who enjoys this craft as much as they do. They are just GOOD FOLKS.

I hope you dont feel left out from now on... there are certainly several people here in this thread who want to make sure that doesnt happen! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Lieke
02-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, I think you're definitely not the only one who uses acrylic. I use it as well, because I'm allergic to wool and acrylic is nice and warm and it isn't expensive (I can't afford those expensive yarns, since I'm only a student). Just use the yarn YOU like, because you are the only one who has to work with it.

DianaM
02-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Don't feel bad darlin'

As a student who's two months away from bankruptcy, I loooooove acrylic.
Sure I won't be able to actually go buy yarn for a long while, but if you check out my stash you'll find the words "Red Heart" and "Caron" over and over. I have a few Sugar n' Cream skeins from a sale at HL last year, but that's about it.

And even if I had the money, I'd probably stick with acrylic for a while. It's easy to clean and it's warm.
My BF received a huge blanket made out of it and he looooooooves it.

So don't worry about it :muah:

LoAnnie
02-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm really sorry you felt that way. But I do believe we are just stating preferences as we do with every othe knitting aspect. Just like someone singing praises to continental in stead of English knitting (I'm a thrower) or saying how magic loop is so much easier than DPN (haven't mastered Magic Loop, use DPN for everything). So I don't think any harm was meant. We are entitled to our own opinions.

LoAnnie

CarmenIbanez
02-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I also use many different kinds of yarns and some people will even tell you that I am a Caron simply soft pusher, because I love that stuff!

I am willing to go out on a ledge here and say that I can't think of anyone on this board who would have intentionally said anything to hurt anyone's feelings. It just isn't our way! :hug:

Jan in CA
02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
After reading this thread it confirms my belief that this is the most understanding, accepting group of people on the internet! We come in male and female, young and old, rich and poor and from countries all over the world.

We are bound to have differences, but we all share one thing in common. Knitting. No matter what we knit with we love it. If you can afford "nicer" yarn then go for it, if not then knit with whatever you can get your hands on.

Personally, I can't afford super expensive yarns. Even $10 a skein is pushing it for me unless it has one heck of a lot of yardage on it. I use a lot of Patons, Bernat and Carons from Joanns and Michaels.

Bottom line here is that those who can afford "nicer" yarn need to be undertanding of those who can't afford it. And those who can't afford "nicer" yarn need to be understanding of those who prefer it and consider themselves yarn snobs. I think we've pretty much achieved that here.

I hope you haven't been scared away by a few comments and come to enjoy the forum and all the wonderful people who populate it. :) :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

bip
02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I have at times stated biases against certain cheap yarns, and I may be one of the people who has contributed to the perception that cheap yarns are uncool. I apologize, and I want to clarify. When I say I hate Red Heart Super Saver and Sugar N Cream, it isn't because they have low prices. To me cheap is a quality thing, I love a good value which means the lowest price for the best quality, and what I'm making determines which direction I lean (quality or price).

There are yarns in the ballpark price range of Super Saver and Sugar N Cream that I like (like Red Heart Soft and Lion Brand Cotton Ease). There are a few pricey cottons that are dreamy to knit with, but then you end up with something too nice to use! That's fine for some things, but other things you want people to USE.

nadja la claire
02-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Nobody is looked down on here. I am kind of a yarn snob when it comes to things like clothing, but for throws and the such I use Woolease, Caron's Simply Soft, Red Heart's Soft and Bernat's Boucle and, I love Moda Dea's Dream and Caron's Bliss. I just like the way natural fibers feel on my body and in my hands as I'm knitting. I'm really sorry that people got the idea that they were not welcome here.

I can't stand RH SS or Homespun. I've tried to use them and I really wanted to like these yarns but in the end I just couldn't and I ended up giving them away. It's not a price thing, trust me I LOVE a good bargain but life is too short knit with something you hate.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

orcoastknitter
02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I say "To each their own". Knit with what you want to. I love all kinds of yarns, acrylics just don't like me (dries out my skin and makes them itchy).

landolphe
02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I LOVE acrylic yarn and all of the other manmade fiber blends. My choice of yarns, in the main, is influenced by what I happen to come across here and there. Recently found Tencel fiber and think it is the softest of the softest. :happydance:

Certain projects or garment uses may suggest one or another type of fiber but really do not dictate a choice of yarn.

Some knitters may also be "into" spinning, and therefore may be as much interested in the various animal and plant fibers as they are in the knitting.

As Emeril might say, "there are no yarn police around here." :teehee:

Cheers,

Lando :hug:

Cristy
02-05-2007, 03:39 PM
I echo the sentiment of several others--acrylic has it's place and I don't think anyone ever meant to send the vibe that acrylic users are not "as good". I use acrylic and love nice yarns to but like many, I can't always afford it or don't want to make the 25 mile trip to the LYS just to pick up something " a little nicer".

I hate that you've been made to feel that way--I hope this thread--and everyone's support of acrylic will change your mind!

aylaanne
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I like acrylic yarn, it's easy to care for and cheap so I can buy a large amount. Like I just spent $25 at Joann's for about 2000 yards of this really soft acrylic bouclé plus a huge one-pound skein of acrylic worsted to make a skirt out of. I'm going to be designing it myself, and probably on the fly, so I don't want to be out of a lot of money if I have to rip and redo a gazillion times.

Also, I love alpaca, silk, and wool yarns, but I'm a huge sucker for cotton, it tends to be cheaper and more durable than other fibers, and it's machine washable! So when I want something washable but I don't want it to be a scratchy acrylic I buy that. However, there are lots of really soft acrylics out there that I love to knit with (even Homespun!) so don't feel like you're alone out there.

Mama Bear
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Some of us knit for years with just acrylics, not realizing how many other choices were out there. I think sometimes our excitement to get new knitters to branch out and explore the options can come across more judgemental than might be intended.

I do prefer to knit with natural fibers. That doesn't mean I don't use acrylic. My mother lives in the slipper socks I make her. She prefers Caron Simply Soft to even the superwash merinos I have made for her. So... I keep a supply of Simply Soft on hand for her slipper socks! I prefer one fiber, she another. When I'm knitting for her, she gets what she likes :)

Most NICU units only accept acrylics, so I have a stash for that purpose.

When I have a choice I use other yarns, but I don't like to break the bank! I knit my granddaughter a sweater (http://www.beartoes.com/index.php?title=sweater_and_beret_complete&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) out of an angora/silk blend (I did check first and her mother was ok with it not being machine washable). I paid 99 cents for the angora silk sweater I took the yarn from, and another $3.99 for the yarn I bought to accent the sweater with :) That sweater has received more comments than almost anything I have ever made.

Money doesn't have to be the deciding factor in what yarns we knit with. If someone prefers acrylics, then great! If they prefer other things, then it's good to know there are ways to get them without having to spend a fortune, and that if they have the available funds and want to spend more.. that's available too.

For me, I like to mix it up. That way, when I do find just a certain yarn for a project, and it's more than I might normally spend, I don't mind so much if the last several projects I made only cost me a little. Averaged out it's not so bad ;)

Mama Bear

miccisue
02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied - I really appreciate it!

It's nice to know that there are so many nice people around, and that what one uses to knit isn't important, it's the knitting bond that is.

You all are super! :hug:

madametj
02-05-2007, 07:26 PM
i know what you mean, i got a similar feeling in this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21633&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=red+heart+yarn&start=0) thread.

i've said more than once, more than twice that i have no problem with acrylic yarns :shrug: most of my stash is Red Heart Super Saver and I have absolutely no problem with that. My favorite acrylic yarn so far is the previous mentioned Caron Simply Soft. I would however like to try some different yarn fibers and weights, hust to try something new, not because i don't like acrylics. I've never made anything out of 100% natural fibers (Lion Wool and Wool Ease are the closest i've gotten :teehee: ). No stores around me sell merino wool or anythig all natural really. I don't really want to buy them online because i'd prefer to touch the yarn and see the true color before i buy it, but i guess we just can't all have what we want :shrug: , not all of us have the money to fill entire rooms with expensive yarns.

mks22300
02-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I love working with acrylics and natural fibers. I usually go for the acrylics because that's what I can afford, and they are washable. I mainly make things for people I know won't handwash, or they are little kids and need washable items.
My mom's kitten seems to prefer the natural fibers though, she has to hide her baby alpaca and mohair because the kitten will take it and snuggle up to it. :teehee:

psammeadred
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm making a cardigan right now out of Red Heart Super Saver. It's not terrible, but I'd rather be knitting with other stuff. One thing about acrylic - you can frog it without it looking all nasty.

MoniDew
02-05-2007, 09:03 PM
OMG I feel like I owe you a HUGE appology. (I'm the one who relished in her new-found luxury yarn experience.) I NEVER meant to imply that any other yarn didn't have its place. OF COURSE it does!

I've used those yarns for DECADES, and just RECENTLY tried something new. I enjoyed the experience enought to express it. And that's all.

I will continue to use the acrylic yarns for larger projects. One ball of the expensive stuff costs the same and an ENTIRE PROJECT of Red Heart, etc. NO WAY could I afford a whole sweater or blanket in the expensive stuff! I have a very tight budget myself. But for one ball of an expensive yarn, I might make an occassional exception.

I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings here. That was NEVER my intention. I was just having a good time with my new yarn. That's all.

I hope that clears things up. Please forgive me.
________
Toyota Fxv-Ii Specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_FXV-II)

KnitClickChick
02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I love all yarn! I will pretty much buy anything that feels good to me if it is within my budget and is reasonable. Every once in a while I will splurge at the LYS and get that bamboo yarn I absolutely love (some day I will have enough saved to make my sweater!!) But really, as long as I can knit, I don't care what kind of yarn it is or how cheap it may be or if it is only acrylic. Acrylic has come a long way, baby!!

BinkyKat
02-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I am all over the road with my yarn preferences. I think acrylic is just fine and should be used when the need is there. If I want something easy care and so on I'll definitely use it. I think with the swell of knitters over the last couple years, makers are responding with a lot of yarns that mimic the more expensive yarns. If I'm going to make a baby blanket that could get chewed and erp'ed on..I sure don't want to put all that work into something the mom may toss or have to wash in a more harsh way. It' easier for her and that's the key. I don't want someone to fear what I make for them thinking it's too pretty to use.
Yay acrylic! :cheering:

Shandeh
02-06-2007, 12:23 AM
I use every kind of yarn there is. Acrylic, Silk, Wool, Alpaca, Cotton, Hemp, Soy, Linen, Llama, Angora.....etc., etc. I just really enjoy the tactile experience of holding the yarn, knitting with the yarn, and wearing the finished product.

When I'm learning a new technique, I use inexpensive yarn. Like when I made my first sweater. I used Aunt Lydia's Crochet Cotton, and it turned out beautiful. The whole sweater only cost about 12 dollars to make. But, after washing it, the yarn has started to shed and thin out. I'm sure the sweater will fall apart within a year or two. And it took a LOT of work to make.

So, now if I'm going to make a nice sweater, I want to use nice yarn. Knitting a sweater is a huge undertaking. You knit all the pieces, seam them together, and make sure it fits perfectly. Why would I want to spend all that time on a project using yarn that will not last? So, I try now to be as careful choosing my yarn as I am choosing the pattern.

When someone asks me to knit something for them, I usually choose a washable yarn, because I believe they won't want to go through the trouble of taking care of a natural fiber item the way I would. (I usually ASK them if they have a fiber preference.) So, every kind of yarn has a place and time to be used.

I also do charity knitting, and acrylic is perfect for that. But, like others, I steer clear of Red Heart Super Saver, because it hurts my hands when I knit with it. I will use Lion Homespun for afghans and prayer shawls. I use Caron Simply Soft for baby items. I use inexpensive cotton yarn for dishcloths and other kitchen and bath items.

I'm also a spinner, so maybe that's why I'm drawn to natural fibers. I just love the feel of yarn and fiber in my hands. Sometimes, I will buy one skein of a really nice yarn, just to touch it. I never make anything with it. The yarn itself is my satisfaction.

Just my two cents.... :hug:

Jan in CA
02-06-2007, 12:38 AM
i know what you mean, i got a similar feeling in this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21633&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=red+heart+yarn&start=0) thread.

Well, in our defense you did ask about Red Heart specifically in that thread. So we gave our opinion. :shrug:

I don't like RHSS, but I did buy it for an Easter Egg last spring because of the pretty colors. It has it's place. :hug:
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/61411666-S.jpg

IrishKnitter
02-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I must admit, I usually tend to lean towards natural fibers. I do probably spend a bit more on yarn than I should. HOWEVER, the way I justify that is that I knit soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slowly, that the cost per day averages out!! :teehee:

Seriously though, I've just been knitting since this summer, and I've only completed three scarves and a booga bag. That's how I justify spending a little more on yarn.

I agree with what a lot of others have said...every yarn has its place.

And it's nice to see we ALL agree on one thing...we all :heart: yarn of all sorts!!!!!!!!!

:muah:

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 12:52 AM
~~Mama Bear~~
Do you have the pattern for the Red :heart: Soft non skid slippers~~
MY MOM WOULD :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: THEM~!
Ainee :happydance:

rebecca
02-06-2007, 01:35 AM
OH my....I certainly hope that I did not encourage your thought that I am a true yarn snob in this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25926&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) when joking around about being a yarn snob because my :heart: husband :heart: surprises me with nice yarns and countless goodies quite often (he is so wonderful, but for many other reasons :heart: , too). I am happy that we are finally at a stage in life when we can afford such indulgences, it's not always been so, that's for sure!
I, too, will go to ACMoore/Joanns/Michaels and pick up yarn for youngsters any day of the week, I, like (I believe Silver) mentioned wouldn't dream of using expensive/high maintenance yarn for a baby or a child...that's no fun for Mom, for sure.
I've not been on the board in a few months due to health reasons, but, please rest assured that I was joking around :wink:....as we do around here quite often....that still happens, right?! It's been months ya know!...how have ya'll survived without me :shrug: ?!
Still missing everyone greatly :muah:

boyforpele13
02-06-2007, 03:05 AM
i started to become a yarn snob when i found my first LYS. The instructor there was basically like, acrylic, ew, get that away from me. At that point, I really had no idea what was available to me and what a huge industry it is. I still work with acrylic, although I do love my natural fibers, just have to hide it from her! ;) One of the beautiful things about knitting as a hobby is how diverse it is, between fibers, needles, knitting styles, LYS, all of it, and because of that diversity, you can personalize your experience to what YOU enjoy best.

I also want to apologize if I ever said anything offensive about synthetic fibers. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone and I do still buy and use it, but I get insanely excited about new yarn, especially malabrigo and the like, just can't help it, but show me a good sale on acrylics and I can squeal just as much. ;)

Can I just ask, though, those of you that use Red Heart Super Saver (I still have plenty in my stash) do you notice that the ombres have a REALLY different feel than the solids or is it me?

Miccisue, I'm glad you posted this and do hope you're feeling better about it! This really is an amazing bunch of people!

raederle
02-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Okay here's my deal.

There's actually a couple of different things going on here:

cheap vs. expensive
manmade vs. natural
and low vs. high quality

Some yarns are more expensive than others. When I was looking for a super-thick acrylic at a LYS (instead of wool, cuz for the wool that is soft enough to go next to my skin, I can't afford enough for a sweater) , they actually told me that some acrylics are MORE expensive than wool. Acrylic does not equal cheap and does not equal poor quality. Wool does not equal expensive and does not equal high quality.

However, SOME cheap yarns have poor quality: their dye lots may not run true, those which claim not to have dye lots may have sharp differences in skeins despite this claim, they may have adverse reactions to washing despite claiming to be machine washable, and they may wear out quickly. (And many cheap yarns are still made of 100% acrylic.)

This is not true of ALL yarns which don't cost a lot, however! When people give opinions of yarns, they are just telling what has been their experience with a yarn.

Now, some people fall hopelessly in love with a certain feel to yarns, and can't bring themselves to go back to yarns they once had no problem with. That's fine, for them. Personally I use what feels good, and everyone has their preferences. As long as one doesn't condemn a whole swath of yarn without testing it out, I think it's fine to have strong opinions. To hate X brand, or Y fiber or Z company without trying it at least once is silly. AFTER pawing it in the store, or having a dyelot turn ugly, or having inordinate knots in a skein, or having the yarn break or split or be hard to work with, or having a garment fall apart in the wash, if you just don't like how it felt in the store, then go ahead and say "X, Y, and Z are YUCKY!"

But I'm glad you brought this up because now you know there are tons of Caron Simply Soft, Bernat Softee Chunky & Denimstyle, TLC Baby Worsted & Sport, acrylic lovers out here! In fact, I have been working up the fortitude to get to the crazy-busy Wal-mart, as I have just learned they have the best yarn selection of any of our local Wal-marts, and I need me some more Softee Chunky...

(But I still have a pet silk skein from my yarn shop crawl. What will you be, lavender silk? Will you ever be knit up? Or will you stay carefully preserved, in your LYS fancy bag, only to be taken out and fondled on special stash forays?)

: )

No offense taken by anybody else's comments, and I sincerely hope none taken from mine!

Shandeh
02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
It's been months ya know!...how have ya'll survived without me :shrug: ?! Still missing everyone greatly :muah:
So THAT'S why we're having a little discord in here now. Rebecca wasn't here to keep us in line! :hug:
Get better, my friend! :muah:

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 11:43 AM
THIS IS JUST IMHO
~BUT~~
I THINK THIS SYNTHETIC VS NATURAL FIBERS TOPIC HAS BEEN DONE TO DEATH~!! :tap:

WE ~ ALL ~~ ARE FABULOUS YARN LOVIN' PEOPLE~~

NOONE HERE THINKS ANY LESS OR BETTER OF THEIR YARN VERSUS THIER NEIGHBOR'S YARN~

LET'S JUST ALL KISS AND MAKE UP~~ :poke:

:hug: :muah: :hug: :muah:
Ainee~~ :teehee:

Old Knitter
02-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I second the motion to all kiss and make up.

Now....how do we all feel about white chocolate vs. brown chocolate?

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
WHITE~~ :thumbsup:

mwedzi
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM

White "chocolate"? No way. It misses the whole point of being chocolate. Google it and check out the wikipedia article to see what I mean. Brown, of course. The darker, the better!

Stiney
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM

White chocolate isn't chocolate, therefore is a sin. Also it doesn't taste good. Give me REAL chocolate any day, the darker the better. :drool:

janelanespaintbrush
02-06-2007, 12:27 PM

White chocolate isn't chocolate, therefore is a sin. Also it doesn't taste good. Give me REAL chocolate any day, the darker the better. :drool:

Exactly. Except it's the bad kind of sin, not the good kind, like dark chocolate. I don't know who came up with the monicker "white chocolate," but there's no chocolate in it, and is bound to disappoint anyone who's expecting the real thing -- I remember feeling very resentful the first time I tried it as a kid!

Jessica Cobb
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I can't say that I've actually read of someone saying knitters who use acrylic are less than, but I understand what you're saying. I'm a broke college student and I use acrylics all the time! Sometimes I'll get wool, but no silk or anything fancy. When I see posts about malabrigo and fancy silky/wool yarns I'd like to use those things, but all my money goes to million dollar school books and tuition.

Bottom line, we're all equal here, and I'm sure everyone else will agree. :hug:

Stonington
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM
:oops: I LOVE WHITE CHOCOLATE! :heart: My Dad use to get me a white chocolate rabbit each Easter... sigh.. warm memories

anne

janelanespaintbrush
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
:oops: I LOVE WHITE CHOCOLATE! :heart: My Dad use to get me a white chocolate rabbit each Easter... sigh.. warm memories

anne

I hope I wasn't too disparaging! :blush: I usually don't care for the stuff, but I once had white chocolate fondue w/ fresh strawberries that was TDF. The thing that annoys me is the misnomer. I'm sure it's because of the texture, but the flavor is totally different. :shrug:

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 02:58 PM
It's WHITE~~ because it has ~creamy ~ cocoa butter in it~!!

Ymmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :notworthy:
Ainee

Stiney
02-06-2007, 03:46 PM
It's WHITE~~ because it has ~creamy ~ cocoa butter in it~!!

Ymmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :notworthy:
Ainee

:doh:

No wonder I don't like it, I don't like cocoanut. Though cocoa butter is yummy smelling.

brownishcoat
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Cocoa butter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_butter) is from cacao beans, not coconuts.

Stiney
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Cocoa butter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_butter) is from cacao beans, not coconuts.

:shrug: Then I got nothing.

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 04:29 PM
:shrug: Brownish coat.......Hmmm didnt know that~
But I love it just the same~!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

What is really good is Hershey's Hugs~~ They hae a swirl of white chocolate and dark chocolate~~~

Yummmmmmmm~~! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Stiney
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
double post :doh:

Stiney
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Oh, the powers of Wiki.

CHocolate is a yummy substance with a sprinkle winkle of cinnamon!

Fine young ladies dance in chocolate to express emotion buy kissing lollipops.

brownishcoat
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
When I was little, our Foley's had a candy department, and my mom would buy us a half-pound of white chocolate to eat while we were shopping. It's that warm memories thing, like with Anne! :heart:

Stonington
02-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Thank you all for keeping me in smiles this afternoon! What a great group of folks you are!
:hug:
anne

bip
02-06-2007, 05:10 PM
When I was little, our Foley's had a candy department, and my mom would buy us a half-pound of white chocolate to eat while we were shopping. It's that warm memories thing, like with Anne! :heart:

LOL, I can just imagine your mom knowing EXACTLY how long it would take you guys to finish that and using her time accordingly :)

Jessica
02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I like and knit with all kinds of yarn. I will admit, thus far, Malabrigo is my favorite because it is super soft and I love the colors, but...it is too expensive for bigger project. For two months now I have been searching for a yarn to make the Central Park Hoodie in and I tried Alpaca, didnt work. Tried Malabrigo, WAY too expensive. Finally I busted out some stash and decided on some Caron Simply Soft. It was puuuuuurfect. Not only am I going to have a warm, soft sweater in a beautiful yarn, its gonna be machine washable :twisted: I am way to lazy for hand washing :shrug:

As for chocolate, I dont really like it. But when I do eat it, its dark chocolate all the way. I do enjoy white chocolate covered oreo's though.

newknitteraswell
02-08-2007, 01:10 AM
my name is newknitteraswell and I knit with Red Heart Supersaver yarn. I must say that I am loving it. :cheering: I am using the starbrights colorway and am knitting it into a seed stitch scarf.

Chocolate...................... :?? :?? :?? I think I like Dark Chocolate with mint cream inside from a chocolate manufacturer that starts with a Ghirad.... Can't remember how to spell the name at the moment.

aineepooh1
02-08-2007, 01:22 AM
Newknitter~~
YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT GHARDELLI DARK CHOCOLATE WITH PEPPERMINT THAT THEY ONLY RELEASE AT CHRISTMAS~~ :passedout:
IMHO~~~ IT IS TOO DIE FOR~!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: IT~!

They also have dark chocolate with MINT but PEPPERMINT is my absolute~~ :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Lieke
02-08-2007, 04:01 AM
hmm, dark chocolate with peppermint, the've got that here in the netherlands. It's called "after eight" and it's delicous. I'm totally addicted to that stuff.

mwedzi
02-08-2007, 08:13 AM
hmm, dark chocolate with peppermint, the've got that here in the netherlands. It's called "after eight" and it's delicous. I'm totally addicted to that stuff.

I'm pretty sure we have those After Eight chocolate mints here, too. Don't we, guys.

Btw, I absolutely love how this thread has become a chocolate discussion.

newknitteraswell
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
maybe we should change the title that appears in the index page??

o reflect how it has morphed into an off topic discussion.

msoebel
02-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Chocolate is a beautiful thing. Really, it's hard to get it wrong.

I don't like milk chocolate though...specifically the Hershey bar. Whenever I try to eat it, even the little bite sized ones, it makes me feel a little sick. :ick:

But dark chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate with caramel, mint or creamy centers...mmmmmn.

Favorite candy bag: Milkyway Dark

Great...now I'm hungry and I don't have money for the vending machine!
:pout:
Misty

Shandeh
02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
OK, hint taken.

I just made a topic for our chocolate obsession.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=374331#374331

earthchick
02-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Okay, I came over here because the thread said "non yarn snobs" and I thought that meant snobs about things other than yarn. And I thought, "sure I'm a snob about all kinds of things." :teehee: So here I am.

missicue, glad you're feeling better about things. I think there is a huge difference between preferring to knit with some yarns/fibers over others and actually looking down on people who knit with particular yarns/fibers. I guess I'm a yarn snob if "snob" means I don't care for certain yarns. But I do not feel like a snob towards other people regarding their preferences and choices. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I feel very strongly about what I use. I don't care one bit about what other people use.

:hug: