PDA

View Full Version : What's "Frogging"?

Arielluria
02-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I saw someone mentioned "frogging"..........is that a technical term? It seemed to me she was referring to undoing some work. :?? But I have never heard that before.

sara_jayne
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Frogging is the term for "ripping out" our knitting when we don't like the results. Frogging comes from "riiiiiiiiipppping" because it sounds like a frogs ribbit!

Tinking is unknitting (knit, backwards is tink) each stitch seperately where as frogging is taking the needles out and pulling the working yarn to pull out an entire row or the entire piece!

It is scary, but necessary!

MommaRalph
02-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I think I need to frog a completed hat back to before the decreases began. How do I make sure I can pick up the stitches again? TIA!

Knitting_Guy
02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Picking up the stitches can be tricky. What I do is frog it back to the row I want to pick up, and then carefully pull the yarn out one stitch at a time. I insert the needle into each stitch, one at a time, as I pull out the yarn. It's a bit slow, but it makes sure that I don't miss any stitches.

It also helps to use a smaller needle to pick them up, and then knit or slip it over to the correct size again. I use a DPN to pick them up, and then slip them over to my working needle.

Stiney
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I think I need to frog a completed hat back to before the decreases began. How do I make sure I can pick up the stitches again? TIA!

Amy's got videos for several different techniques in the "Fixing Mistakes" section (Basic Techniques>...and more!)

sara_jayne
02-05-2007, 02:19 PM
For a big project, or even a tiny project you can insert a life line that you can then frog back to an you are left with "live" stitches that are safe.

When you've finished a row that you are confident with you can thread a piece of scrap yarn, fishing line, thread, non-flavored dental floss on to a tapestry needle and then thread it through the stitches on the needle all the way across the row. Then you continue knitting leaving that life line in. If you need to frog you can rip out the yarn to where that life line is and then you are assured that the stitches will be safe. Put a new life line in every pattern repeat or as often as you want to - just be sure to only have one in at a time - using scrap yarn can distort the stitches a bit, but all will be resolved with a good wash and block.

The other thing you can do is frogg back a row or two before where you need to have the needles and tink.

I often do what Mason does and go VERY slowly and pick up the stitches as I rip out that last row!

Arielluria
02-05-2007, 02:48 PM
For a big project, or even a tiny project you can insert a life line that you can then frog back to an you are left with "live" stitches that are safe. Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe use a tiny circular needle, like a 2, it should be no problem at all! Wish I had that hint last night when I was FROGGING!!!!!!!!!! :frog:

From now on I carry that tiny circular with me wherever I go!!!!!!

sara_jayne
02-05-2007, 02:50 PM
For a big project, or even a tiny project you can insert a life line that you can then frog back to an you are left with "live" stitches that are safe. Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe use a tiny circular needle, like a 2, it should be no problem at all! Wish I had that hint last night when I was FROGGING!!!!!!!!!! :frog:

From now on I carry that tiny circular with me wherever I go!!!!!!

:thumbsup: That is another great option! If you have an interchangable needle set you can also use an empty cable that is long enough too!

At least you have the hint now for all future projects! :hug: