PDA

View Full Version : my first mmMalabrigo FO

simplethings
02-05-2007, 08:28 PM
i bought my first skeins of Malabrigo a little over a week ago and i finally finished my very first mmmm-scarf.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/381125129_4a2193add1.jpg

the pattern is a moss rib stitch. the (not-so)LYS lady recommended it to me. i prefer longer scarves but i only bought 1 skein in this color (called Charrua, by the way). i managed to get a good 63 inches out of it though with a CO of 24.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/381121728_18a4de99d8.jpg

i've heard in the forums that the scrunchable scarf pattern is a great choice for malabrigo. so i've actually started another in scrunchable. so far i think i prefer this moss rib stitch. i like how much space is in between each column.
but, here's a picture of my scrunchable WIP in mmmMalabrigo Velvet Grapes.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/381134747_ba49871e21.jpg

i splurged and bought lantern moon needles.
lantern moon + malabrigo = bliss
i definitly recommend it!

and finally, here is the rest of my malabrigo 'stash' waiting to be knit up into something awesome.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/126/381131403_715f91fbee.jpg

Jessica
02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
:drool: Your Mmmm looks wonderful. I love the scrunchable scraf, its a lovely scarf that doesnt look to plain. Just wait till you wear you Mmm scarf, its so warm you'll never want to wear anything else!

Ingrid
02-05-2007, 08:35 PM
:inlove: :inlove: Looks beautiful! I love to see the colors knit up.

mks22300
02-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Beautiful! :heart: I'm making my first mmmalabrigo scrunchable scarf using Velvet grapes too!

brendajos
02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
i am not terribly excited about the scrunchable but it is definitely soft and easy to knit up. (It would have been great for the football game last night if i could have torn my eyes away from the game at all!)

I LOOOOOOOOOVE how that first one knitted up! I remember seeing the colors and not being terribly excited about them (being that everything in my world needs to be hot pink and lime green it would seem!) but that just knitted up gorgeous! it is making me want to go find that colorway. preeeeeeeeeeeettty. :muah:

simplethings
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
:inlove: :inlove: Looks beautiful! I love to see the colors knit up.

I LOOOOOOOOOVE how that first one knitted up! I remember seeing the colors and not being terribly excited about them (being that everything in my world needs to be hot pink and lime green it would seem!) but that just knitted up gorgeous! it is making me want to go find that colorway. preeeeeeeeeeeettty.

when i first saw the hank of charrua it was in the colors i wanted but it looked WEIRD. i was very hesitant to buy it. the not-so-LYS salesperson kept commenting on how beautiful it was and how she knit a sweater out of the same color but this batch had more saturated tones. so, i trusted her and had it wound into a ball.
in ball form it looked better and i was relieved. finally, when i started knitting it i was totally happy. the colors were awesome and the pattern worked out so well. it reminds me of stones... either a bunch of tiny pebbles or cobblestone. but, yeah, finally getting the malabrigo knit up was the best part. :happydance:

aylaanne
02-05-2007, 08:50 PM
That's so exciting! I havent actually bought any malabrigo yet, mostly because I'm worried that I'll get addicted! There's some malabrigo angora on sale at Webs, though, so I might have to splurge....Thanks for inspiring me! :teehee:

psammeadred
02-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Beautiful! I want some mmmmMalabrigo now...

Knitting_Guy
02-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Nice. I really like that pattern.

simplethings
02-05-2007, 09:01 PM
That's so exciting! I havent actually bought any malabrigo yet, mostly because I'm worried that I'll get addicted! There's some malabrigo angora on sale at Webs, though, so I might have to splurge....Thanks for inspiring me! :teehee:

Beautiful! I want some mmmmMalabrigo now...

you'll definitly get addicted! :happydance:
i am. :roflhard:

i have thoughts of completely switching out my whole stash for malabrigo... unfortunately that would be very unaffordable and WAY out of my budget.

definitly try it though!

misha rf
02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Ooooooh!! The pretty!! That settles it for me. As soon as I finish up the stuff I've got going on, it's a scrunchable in the Mmmmmmalabrigo in the stash!!

MiaZilla
02-05-2007, 09:15 PM
That is such a pretty scarf! :yay:

I ordered my first Mmmmalabrigo this weekend and I'm hoping to get it by the end of the week :tap:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-05-2007, 09:22 PM
FABULOUS!!!! And your stash pictures are beautiful, too!

Kari
02-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Beautiful work, and lovely photographs too. I love the colors of the two scarves.

simplethings
02-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Beautiful work, and lovely photographs too. I love the colors of the two scarves.

FABULOUS!!!! And your stash pictures are beautiful, too!

That is such a pretty scarf! applause

Ooooooh!! The pretty!!

Nice. I really like that pattern.

Beautiful! Heart I'm making my first mmmalabrigo scrunchable scarf using Velvet grapes too!

Thanks everyone! :muah:

zkimom
02-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Ok, love the scarves and am impressed with the knitting.

But what I am really impressed with is the photography.

You have a great eye for color and composition. :notworthy:

What do you do IRL (if you don't mind my asking?) :poke:

Best,
Susan

simplethings
02-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Ok, love the scarves and am impressed with the knitting.

But what I am really impressed with is the photography.

You have a great eye for color and composition. :notworthy:

What do you do IRL (if you don't mind my asking?) :poke:

wow, thanks! :mrgreen:

i'm actually very much unemployed (read: i have unbelivable amounts of time to knit). i finished college last year. i was a Communications (Media) major because i wanted to get into movie making. but, a year before i was done i completely lost interest in video and instead aspired to be a photographer. it was too late to switch majors (again! i started off as computer science :whoosh:) so i stuck with it and practiced photography on the side as a hobby (due to a lack of formal training).

so now i just fantasize about being a photographer and live off of my very generous parents. hahaha. i get requests from friends once in a while to take pictures at an event or for headshots or to edit their own pictures... but, aside from the constant job hunt... that's about all.

Aliquis
02-05-2007, 10:24 PM
What size needles did you use? That yarn looks amazing!

simplethings
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
What size needles did you use? That yarn looks amazing!

I used a size US 10 for both the moss rib pattern and the scrunchable. the malabrigo tag recommends a size US 7-9 but i feel like the larger size gives the yarn more space to expand and stay fluffy. :X:

Shandeh
02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Speaking of Malabrigo, a lady came into my cousin's yarn store (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/) the other day, and asked for enough skeins to make an afghan!!!!!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

simplethings
02-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Speaking of Malabrigo, a lady came into my cousin's yarn store (http://www.cottageyarninc.com/) the other day, and asked for enough skeins to make an afghan!!!!!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

that would be an AWESOME afghan... and expensive. :doh:

zkimom
02-05-2007, 10:40 PM
so now i just fantasize about being a photographer and live off of my very generous parents. hahaha. i get requests from friends once in a while to take pictures at an event or for headshots or to edit their own pictures... but, aside from the constant job hunt... that's about all.

Well, keep taking pictures. Take lots of them. Then figure out how to get someone to either pay you for the pictures you have already taken or pay you to take more pictures. The only way to do that is to have lots of people see your pictures. You should check out and join organizations like the ASMP (American Society of Magazine Photographers) and go to meetings and show off your photography.

Another way to get your feet wet is to open up a marketplace and sell stuff on the net. You can open a private gallery and invite the people you want to shop there or have a public gallery and see if your work attracts any attention. Try this:

Imagekind (www.imagekind.com)

To me, photography is as much fun as knitting.

I had my first show at a local coffee house this past December. (There is no patting myself on the back avatar that I know of but that's what I'm doing!)

Now all I gotta do is get off my butt and find another place to hang my pictures. Oh, yeah, I finished my Mmmmm scarf and as soon as I have the ends woven in I'll post a pic for you.

Best,
Susan

simplethings
02-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, keep taking pictures. Take lots of them. Then figure out how to get someone to either pay you for the pictures you have already taken or pay you to take more pictures. The only way to do that is to have lots of people see your pictures. You should check out and join organizations like the ASMP (American Society of Magazine Photographers) and go to meetings and show off your photography.

Another way to get your feet wet is to open up a marketplace and sell stuff on the net. You can open a private gallery and invite the people you want to shop there or have a public gallery and see if your work attracts any attention. Try this:

Imagekind (www.imagekind.com)

To me, photography is as much fun as knitting.

I had my first show at a local coffee house this past December. (There is no patting myself on the back avatar that I know of but that's what I'm doing!)

Now all I gotta do is get off my butt and find another place to hang my pictures. Oh, yeah, I finished my Mmmmm scarf and as soon as I have the ends woven in I'll post a pic for you.

Best,
Susan

thank you for the info! i'll definitely start expanding my audience.

i used to love photography more than knitting. but, knitting at the moment is in the lead. :happydance: i LOVE that i can combine these two arts for beautiful results.

dustinac
02-06-2007, 08:59 AM
:inlove: very pretty!! I have 3 skeins of the Velvet Grape waiting for the perfect project for it... its so soft and so pretty... I love the first scarf!!! I did have a scarf and fetchings out of Oceanos but when I took them into WV my mom fell in love with the set so she has it now :teehee:

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
lOVELY cOLORWA~!! :notworthy: :roflhard: :cheering: :cheering:

stagebear
02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
gorgeous!

what's the moss rib pattern?

Andrea
02-06-2007, 08:08 PM
I love them!!!!!!!!1

And the rest of your MMM???????? :thud:

auburnchick
02-07-2007, 01:16 AM
:heart: LOVE :heart: that wound yarn!!! BEAUTIFUL colors!

:heart:

Jennie8
02-07-2007, 01:31 AM
oh my goodness.....your images are amazing... now i really want to try some mmmmmmmmalabrigo. ahhhhh so pretty...they look soooooo soft. delicious.... :passedout:

simplethings
02-07-2007, 02:41 AM
I've put the moss rib stitch scarf pattern on my blog for those of you who want to try it: http://cashmereblend.blogspot.com

As for the rest of my malabrigo... I'm a huge scarf addict so once I find cool patterns I'll be knitting up the rest in long, soft, colorful, rectangles. :happydance:

zkimom
02-07-2007, 07:35 AM
Have you tried My So called Scarf (http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html)yet? I just finished mine and I love the way it came out -- plus it was a really fun pattern to knit once I got the hang of it.

I'd post a picture of mine but I'm thinking of taking out my bind off row and re-doing it tighter.

Best,
Susan

simplethings
02-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Have you tried My So called Scarf (http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html)yet? I just finished mine and I love the way it came out -- plus it was a really fun pattern to knit once I got the hang of it.

I'd post a picture of mine but I'm thinking of taking out my bind off row and re-doing it tighter.

i just started working on mine. i didn't realize until i got home how different my two skeins of manos were... so i have to alternate skeins every two rows. x_X
i've been pulling the umm... switching-skein-side a little too tight so now my scarf has a tight edge that puckers and curves. i think i'll have to rip it out and start again.
did you add any extra stitches for a selvage edge or anything? my edges look HORRIBLE.

zkimom
02-08-2007, 07:50 AM
did you add any extra stitches for a selvage edge or anything? my edges look HORRIBLE.

No -- I just followed the pattern. You could try slipping the first stitch on the knit row and see if that helps. I just read a blog that said she did that and brought the yarn to the front and slipped the last stitch purlwise. Her FO looked pretty good:

knit one chic too (http://knitchick.blog-city.com/fo_my_socalled_scarf.htm)

Did you check to see if there is a KAL on the board here for that scarf? There might be some suggestions there, too.

Best,
Susan