PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a yarn winder??

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I tried winding my alpaca hanks into a center pull ball..... but I don't have the patience.. :wall: :wall: :wall: Plus it seems to keep knotting up??

What do I need to do / buy??? I have tried winding 2x before.. I then have to set the other 9 skeins aside out of exasperation~!! :wall: :wall: :pout:

brownishcoat
02-06-2007, 04:37 PM
I ordered my ball winder from Joann's Online; I think I used a 40% off coupon. You could order a swift as well, but I draped my hank over my computer chair and it worked fine for my Malabrigo. It tried to stick to itself a little, but when it did that I just slowed down and separated it.

aineepooh1
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I 'm sorry but.. What is the SWIFT for??? don't have a clue??? :wall:

mrs desert rain
02-06-2007, 04:49 PM
see attached photo.
it helps feed the yarn to your winder!

brownishcoat
02-06-2007, 04:59 PM
I want a swift, but I can't afford one right now. I have my friend looking into helping me build one, though! :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
Okaaaaaay. I still have no idea how one would use a swift. I've been looking at ball winders and such online myself and looking at the swifts I just have to scratch my head and say "duh. Mongo no understand".

PCwombat
02-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Here's a video I found on youtube that show's a ball winder and a swift.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zjkpKui1DHU

Knitting_Guy
02-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Ok, how did the yarn get on the swift? How does one wind a swift in order to wind a ball? Mongo's head hurts now.

DianaM
02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
*gives Mongo Excedrin*

I got the yarn ball winder from Joann's the other day. Don't have a swift, but haven't found any problems without it.

Cat is aaaaaawfully interested in the yarn moving from skein to winder.

brendajos
02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
aaaah.... you have to be introduced into the wonderful yarn hanks if you were to untwist this yarn (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.berroco.com/images/quest/quest_hank_500.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.berroco.com/yarns/quest.html&h=500&w=414&sz=20&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=uy-mtCPV-B7FUM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhank%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DD ELA,DELA:2006-07,DELA:en%26sa%3DN)it would be a big circle of yarn that would fit around your swift. :D

DianaM
02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Aaaaaaaah yes. I remember I once untwisted a hank of wool yarn when teaching someong to knit. I did notice the big circle before my hands started itching, hehe.

I assume then, that you adjust the circle around the yarn, then increase the diameter of the swift so the yarn doesn't slip off?

brendajos
02-07-2007, 12:35 AM
*nods*

JLC
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I bought my winder on joann.com and used a 50% off coupon. My dad made me a swift. It looks a lot like this: http://www.craftydiversions.com/yarnswift.pdf

meearnol
02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
That's a pretty affordable-looking swift! I've already sent it to one of the guys I work with to price it out for me. I'm a total cheapskate and if I can save some money on a swift, that's more money I can use to buy yarn.

becjo
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I LOVE that homemade swift! How clever! I want to get a yarn winder myself just because I love the ease of how the yarn is winded up - pull out of the center and the yarn isn't rolling everywhere. I'll have to keep my eyes out on Joann for those coupons!

cookworm
02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Can you still use a ball winder on skeins of yarn? I like to put my skeins into a ball so that I know what I'm working with has no hiding knots, and also, it's easier for me to use.

newknitteraswell
02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I bought mine online at Kemp's store and really enjoy it. Now if I just had a swift to go with it. I usually wind my skeins to see if there are any knots in them...(Usually are since I use red heart.)

Just love winding the skeins into balls.

Just my $0.02

brownishcoat
02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Can you still use a ball winder on skeins of yarn? I like to put my skeins into a ball so that I know what I'm working with has no hiding knots, and also, it's easier for me to use.

Yes, you certainly can. I use mine to split the skein when I'm making a pair of socks as well.

Rennagayle
02-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm thrilled to find the site on inexpensively making a yarn swift. :cheering: I'm going to e-mail the page to my woodworking son, and remind him I have a birthday quickly approaching. :mrgreen:

madametj
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM

i dont have one, but i've gathered that using skeins are even easier since you don't need a swift that way.

p.s. there is no "mean twin" its called the "EVIL twin"! :teehee:

Ellen Edwards
02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I had looked at JoAnn's for a good while; everytime they offered a coupon, it was only for REGULARLY PRICED items, and the swifts and winders were ON SALE--so I couldn't use the coupon! I checked all the time on eBay and finally got a new ball winder for less than $30 with shipping, and lucked up on an umbrella type swift (it's part plastic--who cares --it works!!) for LESS than$30 with the shipping. Usually you can find what you're looking for on eBay. I LOVE using it to make "yarn cakes"!! They look so good and you quickly have a beautiful pull out skein. - :heart:

madametj
02-08-2007, 09:26 PM
u can get 40% off your shopping cart today at Joann.com. that will land u a ball winder for $20-$30 :cheering:

*KnitPixie*
02-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I LOVE that homemade swift! How clever! I want to get a yarn winder myself just because I love the ease of how the yarn is winded up - pull out of the center and the yarn isn't rolling everywhere. I'll have to keep my eyes out on Joann for those coupons!

Here is the Joanns coupon code that I used about three days ago to purchase my ball winder. FEBEJ650 - gives ya 50% off :muah:

Rennagayle
02-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Trudy,

I LOVE using it to make "yarn cakes"!! They look so good and you quickly have a beautiful pull out skein. - :heart:

I know what you mean about the yarn cakes. There's something so simply pleasing about the look and feel of them. :inlove: I guess they're the next best thing to 'eating' cake. :mrgreen: