PDA

View Full Version : Stop Shedding

LoAnnie
02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know of a way to keep a garment from shedding. I have an Angora sweater that sheds like crazy. I wear it with black pants most of the time, so it shows badly as the Angora is white. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

LoAnnie

MommaRalph
02-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Wanting the same answers here....

Knitting_Guy
02-07-2007, 09:48 PM
From my own reading I don't think it's possible to stop the shedding. I understand that over time it will stop on it's own.

Ingrid
02-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I've read that if you put yarn that sheds a lot in the freezer it helps, but I don't know if it'll work for a sweater or how long it would work. I don't think it would hurt, though.

Silver
02-08-2007, 08:51 AM
That's the nature of angora. The fibers are so soft and silky, they will just fall out. Eventually, all those that are going to fall out will have already fallen out, so the shedding will stop. But you may be left with a very sick looking sweater.

I honestly think freezing angora is an urban myth. No one can explain why it works, so I don't think it does. If anything, maybe it works temporarily while the fibers are still frozen, but I imaging it will thaw very quickly, like as soon as you let it warm up enough to put it on. :??

I say just carry a lint brush at all times. Angora is too pretty to not wear.

LoAnnie
02-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I didn't think there was a way, but with all of the wisdom here, it couldn't hurt to ask.

LoAnnie

becjo
02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I make an alpaca wrap a few months ago and it sheds so badly also. I asked the owner of my LYS this weekend about it - she said it would eventually stop but you could also block it slightly - just dampened it and pin it out and let it dry - the dampness would grab the fibers and seal them in with the tighter ones. I'm going to have to try that myself. I'm tired of carrying a lint roller every time I wear it. I have 4 dogs anyways so I'm always got some sort of hair on me - I dont need extra!

Lucy78green
02-08-2007, 09:57 AM
what would happen if you sprayed it with hairspray before you wear it??? Prob not a good idea...