PDA

View Full Version : the beginning of a sock-help?

Mulderknitter
02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
so..... I am trying socks...
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture077.jpg
this is how far I have gotten. I am doubting myself. :pout: I have spent probably 2 hours getting this far. Of course dpn's are not quite my specialty yet, so the working of them is... um... how do you say.... :hair: for me and :help: for my DH sitting next to me on the couch.
My question is am I doing this right? I cast on 48 st and divided them on the 4 dpns and joined (well.... as best I could... :oops: )
does this look right to you guys???
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/MulderMom/Picture078.jpg
That is only about 3 rounds, and it's just in straight knit stitch no ribbing because I think combining ribbing and these dpns right now would make me :zombie:

knitqueen
02-07-2007, 07:17 PM
To me, that looks exactly as it should look! So way to go, you're doing better than you think you are!! :hug: You will have an easier time once you get a few more rounds into it. The first few rounds are always the trickiest, no matter how experienced you are with dpns. Just keep plugging away at it. :D

Andrea
02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
I think it looks just like it should! :cheering:

Keep at it, it'll get less frustrating the further you get :hug:

Ingrid
02-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Looks good to me, too. I find that knitting a few rows straight on a dpn and then joining is much easier. You have a little gap to sew up, but the tail is there, anyway. :shrug:

Andrea
02-07-2007, 09:47 PM
The woman who taught me how to knit suggested the same thing as Ingrid. :shrug:

geekgolightly
02-07-2007, 10:56 PM
oh i remember the first time for me, i spent two different nights just trying to cast on. look at you on your first night and it looks lovely. just exactly as it should. :cheering:

Yarnlady
02-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I find that knitting a few rows straight on a dpn and then joining is much easier. You have a little gap to sew up, but the tail is there, anyway. :shrug:I find co to dpns is way to high on the frustration scale for me. I second Ingrid in knitting the first row or two and then joining when there is somthing to "hang on to".

Mulderknitter
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys! The join was the hardest part I think because it wasn't as tight as I thought it should be. Maybe on my next sock or after I have to frog this one :roflhard: I will use the advice!

Rennagayle
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I promise you, it will get easier. Once you master the use of dpn's, you'll love knitting on them. At least I know I do, and I felt like I was wrestling an anorexic octopus the first time few times I tried using them. :gah: Now, I love using them. :heart: