PDA

View Full Version : Help altering pattern...

Cristy
02-07-2007, 09:52 PM
I want to make this (http://knitlink.blogspot.com/2005/10/berry-blue-thumbless-mittens.html) pattern but it's sized for a 6 months to 18 month old baby...I want it to be for my newborn. Does anyone know of a similar pattern using worsted or light worsted yarn or can someone help me figure out how to alter this pattern? Math is not my strong point....

I have dpns in size 1 and size 2 so I could drop needle sizes too...I was planning to use some extra Caron Simply Soft...I know it's supposed to be worsted but it seems a little thin for worsted to me (even when compared to other colors of simply soft...has anyone else experienced that?? Maybe it's just twisted a little more tightly??)...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ingrid
02-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I made a 6-month sweater with worsted on size 6 or 7 and it would fit a 6-month old. I made the same exact sweater out of dk weight on 4's and it would fit a preemie or a 'normal' sized newborn. Your newborn however, is not your average baby! :teehee:

Cristy
02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
no kidding! but it's amazing...no matter how big they are, they still look tiny! :shock:

Ingrid
02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
I know! When my son was born, I thought there must be something wrong--that I didn't eat enough, or something, because he looked so tiny after seeing my daughter every day. He was 8 lb 9 oz. :teehee:

Cristy
02-07-2007, 11:24 PM
it's funny...a friend of mine told me he looks chunky...I had just remarked to dh that he's so much skinnier than dd...it's weird b/c the were the same length at birth and he's almost a pound heavier than her!

I decided to try the pattern with dk yarn and size 2 dpns...I forgot how much I hate really tiny things!! LOL!!!..It's taken me forever to do 7 rows of ribbing!! It looks so tiny...I hope it isn't too small!