PDA

View Full Version : DPNS Are Kicking My Butt

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 12:31 PM
I am trying to start a sock but these dpns are getting the best of me. I don't think I doing the join right, and somehow I keep gaining or losing a stitch someplace. I've started and frogged this about a half dozen times already.

I'm going to keep trying to figure it out, but I am definitely doing something wrong.

Webigail
02-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Are you casting all of your stitches on one needle?
I prefer using two circs for socks, but if I do use dpns, I cast all of my stitches on one needle and then slip stitches to 2 more needles, distributing evenly.

cheesiesmom
02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
When I cast onto dpns for socks, I generally add one more stitch to the first needle. ( if the pattern calls for 12 stitches on each needle, then CO 13 on the first needle) Then to join, I slip the first stitch from needle 1 onto needle 4 and then slip the first stitch from needle 4 over the needle 1 stitch.

You should then end up with the right number of stitches on all four needles.

Hope this makes sense.

Are you working with little bitty dpns, i.e, 1s or 2s? It might be better to try a pair of house socks with bigger dpns for a starter project.

Good luck. I know you'll work it out.

Chel
02-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Mason,

DPN's start out uncomfortable, but not for long. Soon you'll be knitting away! Hey-does any of your driving take you to the east coast?

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I am using worsted weight and size 6 needles per Silver's sock class.

I cast on 40 stitches onto one needle and then slipped then purl-wise onto the other two needles. so that I have 14 12 14 on the needles.

I started doing the K2 P2 on the last cast on stitch and worked around to the first cast on stitch. I tried to make that first knit stitch really tight but there is still a gap between the first and last cast on stitches. I'm sure I did something wrong.

If I have to frog it again I'll try casting on that extra stitch and slipping them as described.

Mariblue
02-08-2007, 12:50 PM
I am not that adept with double pointed needles yet, (and I think I prefer 2 circs) but I remember someone mentioning that knitting a few rows first, before joining in the round, not only helped to avoid twisted stitches, it also helped to get that 1st round going. It really helped me. It only leaves you with a tiny seam to sew at the end. It was soooo much easier that way!
I haven't tried socks yet, but I've got some sock yarn coming in the mail, and I'm going to try them soon!
Good luck!

cheesiesmom
02-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Are you just knitting or did you join the first and last stitch. I'm pretty sure you have to join them somehow.

I've never had a problem with the ladders in my socks. Sometimes they seem to show up, but by the time I've knitted a few more rows the gap seems to close up. I've also heard that once you finish the sock and wash it, the stitches will even out and the ladder will disappear. I don't know from personal experience with that one, tho'. Maybe some more expert sock-ster can chime in on the ladder problem.

My problem is the hole at the gusset. No matter where I put that extra stitch, I still get a hole at the top of the gusset. Fortunately, I figure nobody's going to be examining the socks on my feet that closely, so I can live with it until I get better at socks.

That said, maybe you should just forge ahead and see where the experiment takes you .

KathyinCali
02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
DO NOT give up. I frogged at least 2 dozen times before I was able to do a round properly the first time. I got so frustrated I would put it down for a couple of days then pick it back up and try again. This went on for three weeks, then all of a sudden my hands "clicked" with the needles. Now I'm wrestling with working 4 live DPN's :wall: :wall: :wall:

Hang in there. Amy's Tutorial is great! :)

Stiney
02-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I always have to rewatch Amy's video to join. I don't know what my problem is. :teehee:

You'll get the hang of it, soon! :hug:

iza
02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Definitely hang in there, Mason. It is awckward at first but you'll get it. It's not uncommon to have a gap in the first few rounds. If you joined correctly, keep going and the gap should disappear.

Cheesiesmom, that's a great trick! I think I will try that too. :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Ok, I think I am doing it correctly. I managed to get that annoying gap out this time around.

I've done a couple of rounds. Does this look like I'm doing it correctly or have I totally messed up? (sorry, I used my webcam which has a pretty poor picture quality)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/123002.jpg

Cristy
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Mason, it looks fine to me. And just a word of advice--don't worry too much about the "gap" where you join...it's not as obvious as it seems and the more you do it, the better you'll be.

DPNs are a little complicated at first and when you try to use itty bitty ones for the first time, you'll feel like you're learning all over again...(or at least I did). It does get easier--just keep it up. It's easier after the first few rounds too...don't know why but it really seems that way.

Good luck!! :happydance:

Stiney
02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I find the best thing for eliminating that gap is the same way to avoid ladders:

When you finish knitting off of needle 1, knit 2 stitches from needle 2 onto the same needle, then take the empty needle and knit stitches off of needle 2, plus first 2 stitches off needle 3, and so on. This will help evenly distribute all the stitches, and you won't have to worry about the gap at the join, because this will put the first and last stitche of the round on the same needle, so you can make sure they are nice and tight.

Just make sure you use a stitch marker at the beginning of the round.

becjo
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
The picture looks like it is going good! I have made tons of socks and everytime I get started on DPN's, its STILL awkward. It always takes a few rows to get it going and then its smooth sailing. Good luck on your project! At least it hasn't scared you from trying!

auburnchick
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Mason,

I'm so impressed! It took me a lot longer to brave the DPNs. You're very adventurous!! :cheering:

I think that everyone gave you great advice. The biggest thing is getting past the first four or five rounds. Everything starts to get much, much easier afterward.

You'll have to figure out how to lay your front DPN that you're knitting off of (on top of the others or underneath). But all of that comes with time and experience and even the weight of the yarn.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Jan in CA
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
The first few rows are the hardest. I usually do about 3 or 4 rows then I move the join by knitting the next two stitches from the left needle..and I do it on each needle as I knit that row....or if you are doing k2p2 you need to knit 4. Always end with a purl and start with a knit. If you need to you can do the join move again after a few rows. You'll get it, it just takes practice to get the feel of DPNs. ;)

DianaM
02-08-2007, 02:58 PM
I wanted to stab myself with the dpn's first time I used them. I'm not exactly proficient with them yet, but they've slowly become more comfortable as I practice.

I didn't start with socks, though, but with a simple knit cap.

Hang in there!! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I really appreciate all of the tips and input. I'm still not sure, but I think I just might accidentally be getting it.

DianaM
02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Isn't it great when things just click? :hug:

Silver
02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Mason, it's hard to tell by the pic, but your sock in progress does look just fine. The ribbing doesn't start taking shape for an inch or two. It does look wonky when starting, even mine and I've knit lotsa socks! Keep at it... you're doing great! And I trust you'll post a pic of your finished sock when finished? :)

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks Kristin. I'm following the Sock Class as best I can.

Yeah it does look wonky but I'm plugging away at it to see what happens.

Yvonne
02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Mason--
That looks just fine to me. Now for a few hints from a fellow Floridian:
For the ladders forming between needles: Try yet another technique that works great for me. Don't worry so much about tightening the first stitch on the new needle. When you are knitting the SECOND stitch on the new needle, before you slip it off, snug up your working yarn right then. You'll be amazed how it disappears. Took me a while to figure it out and now I never have sock ladders.

Also, you've clearly gotten past the first few rounds, but I always find it helpful for the first few to knit on a surface like a desk or table, till that wonky-needles-everywhere-going-in-ten-different-directions situation is over.

Whatever you do, don't give up! If you find that your frustration is really ruining the fun, then make a hat. It's easier to get used to DPNs by making hat decreases with DPNs than it is to start with a sock cuff.

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks Yvonne. I've actually been doing both. Tightening the first stitch and tightening the second before slipping it. It seems to be working.

I intentionally chose socks instead of a hat as socks looked more challenging and I thought that I would probably learn more from them in the long run. What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment :rofl:

Yvonne
02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Mason,
You're right, socks are more of an opportunity to learn. I am looking forward to your FO post with a real, genuine sock in the photo. You'll be proud.
By the way, watch it if you're driving your truck in Charlotte County where I live in FL. Saw on the news that they are making some exit ramps into invisible weigh stations. Trucks exit the interstate, never knowing they've been weighed and photographed. Not that I assume your truck is overweight or anything. Just an FYI for you. :oops:

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks Yvonne. They are starting to do that sneaky stuff in a lot of places these days. Just another source of revenue for the state. These states see a truck and all they see is a rolling piggy bank ripe for the picking. It gets old after a while.

I make a habit of running legally and so don't worry too much about it, but it still annoys me. Many of us used to carry a handgun in our truck for self defense. Hundreds of drivers are robbed and murdered every year. After 9/11/01 many weigh stations started installing x-ray machines you have to roll through as you weigh. They claim they only x-ray the trailer but I have a friend doing 5 years because the machine showed his gun in the sleeper.

I'm used to being treated like a criminal simply because of my occupation.

Webigail
02-09-2007, 08:46 AM
When I cast onto dpns for socks, I generally add one more stitch to the first needle. ( if the pattern calls for 12 stitches on each needle, then CO 13 on the first needle) Then to join, I slip the first stitch from needle 1 onto needle 4 and then slip the first stitch from needle 4 over the needle 1 stitch.

You should then end up with the right number of stitches on all four needles.

Hope this makes sense.

Are you working with little bitty dpns, i.e, 1s or 2s? It might be better to try a pair of house socks with bigger dpns for a starter project.

Good luck. I know you'll work it out.
I was just going to recommend that. I was having the gap problem, decided to take a sock class and that was one of the tricks the instructor showed us. That alone was well worth the money.

Knitting Guy, your sock looks great!

Yarnlady
02-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Don't worry so much about tightening the first stitch on the new needle. When you are knitting the SECOND stitch on the new needle, before you slip it off, snug up your working yarn right then. Yuppers, that's the best thing I ever figured out for keep even sts. I also knit the first two sts off the next needle to help. And I agree about knitting the first round or two flat before joining. Makes it so much easier.

Mulderknitter
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
How's the sock coming??? I was just sitting working on my attempt at a sock last night and had to stop and look at it and I had this moment of "wow, knitting is like magic" :heart: I have these pointy sticks and some yarn, and I jostle them around and nearly impale myself, the cats and my dh many times, but then I look down and after a while....I have this round tubey thing that is all connected together! :roflhard: I guess I just expected that it would be a tangled ball!

Knitting_Guy
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Yeah it is kinda like magic. It's coming along slowly. I didn't work on it at all last night as my eyes were getting tired and I didn't want to mess it up.

I've started on it again this morning and it is coming along. I have a couple of inches of ribbed tube at this point and I think it actually looks like it supposed to look. I'll keep pluggin away at it and see what develops.

Knitting_Guy
02-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Hmmm, I think I might be getting it

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/sock-start.jpg

Knitting_Guy
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
It's coming along slowly but surely.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/154550.jpg

Birdy
02-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Its looking good :)

My FIL trucks. Actually, I come from a family where so many of them truck. I've heard stories, and stories, and stories.

When I got my first car my uncles were sure a CB was the first accessory I got installed. The other day I was complaining to my hubby that I miss my CB! My best trucking experience was when I drove from Hamilton, ON, to Port Huron, MI, to Indianpolis, to Dordt College in Iowa some where. I was supposed to be a passenger. But the driver got sick. I had my DL for 3 months at that point. The driver told me the destination and told me to use the CB to find my way. I drove there and back in 1 weekend.

Anyhow, I was curious how long you have been knitting? I waited 4 years before trying a sock. So you've got me impressed!

Knitting_Guy
02-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Roberta;

A CB can be quite handy but these days I usually keep mine turned down due to all of the idiots cluttering up the channel with nonsense.

I just started knitting a little over a month ago.

Yvonne
02-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Wow, that's turning into a sock for SURE. Just wait till you get to the magical heel and it becomes something that takes that 90-degree turn, becoming something foot-shaped, all without ever cutting the yarn. You are in for so much fun coming up very shortly. :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
02-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Yvonne. The heel is the bit that's worrying me a little. I read through the instructions for turning the heel and it looks pretty complicated. Hopefully I won't screw it up too badly. :rofl:

auburnchick
02-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks Yvonne. The heel is the bit that's worrying me a little. I read through the instructions for turning the heel and it looks pretty complicated. Hopefully I won't screw it up too badly. :rofl:

Just follow the instructions. They won't seem like they make sense, but you will be AMAZED at how it turns (no pun intended) out.

JoeE
02-10-2007, 10:27 PM
You'll do fine turning the heel. By now you know not to freak out when the pattern says turn and you still have stitches remaining on the left needle.

The best pointer I got was to remember that when I turn and work again on the other side of the heel, I need to have the same number of stitches left unworked on each side. If not, the heel is going to be wonky.

Aren't DPNs fun!!!

PinkRoses
02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
That's looking very good! :cheering: Not bad for someone who has been knitting for such a short time. I see no errors at all.

I'm going to go back to knitting socks once I get me a set of bamboo DPN's. I found that the slippery kind were somewhat hard to work with. But...there is a reason my opinion is only worth 5 cents. :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm 1/4 of the way through the first part of the heel flap. So far so good, but I have yet to try turning the heel. :??

DianaM
02-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Roberta;

A CB can be quite handy but these days I usually keep mine turned down due to all of the idiots cluttering up the channel with nonsense.

We use this fancy walkie talkies at work (nursing home), and sometimes we get truckers in our channels.
Lemme tell you, trying to get a charmin' old lady ready for bed while listening to you guys is veeeeeeeeery interesting :roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Roberta;

We use this fancy walkie talkies at work (nursing home), and sometimes we get truckers in our channels.
Lemme tell you, trying to get a charmin' old lady ready for bed while listening to you guys is veeeeeeeeery interesting :roflhard:

Yeah, some of those guys are an embarrassment to the industry.

DianaM
02-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but it's way better than the occasional teenagers playing with a communication set.
We had a screaming match the other night. Thought someone was being murdered until the drunken giggle started.

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Ok, I just finished the first part on the heel flap. Now to try turning the heel. :noway:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/132305.jpg

Jan in CA
02-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Whoa! That's awesome, Mason! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Whew! I got the heel turned and picked up the gusset (which was the really hard part). I've started shaping the gusset. It really doesn't seem as hard as I thought it would be.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/151755.jpg

Jan in CA
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Wasn't that cool watching the heel shape itself!? :cheering: :cheering:

auburnchick
02-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Mason, you are kicking some serious sock booty!

Socks are so much fun!!!

:cheering:

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Yeah, I have to admit that i didn't think I would be able to figure it out, but it was cool seeing it shape like that.

I messed up now but I'm hoping it won't hurt it too much. I started shaping the gusset. I knitted one round, then did the decreases around as instructed. Then instead of doing another knitted round I did a second decrease round. I'm hoping it won't affect it too badly.

auburnchick
02-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Yeah, I have to admit that i didn't think I would be able to figure it out, but it was cool seeing it shape like that.

I messed up now but I'm hoping it won't hurt it too much. I started shaping the gusset. I knitted one round, then did the decreases around as instructed. Then instead of doing another knitted round I did a second decrease round. I'm hoping it won't affect it too badly.

Don't worry about the mistakes. You'll at them fondly. :)

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Mason, you are kicking some serious sock booty!

Socks are so much fun!!!

Thanks.

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM

I'll just make sure to make the same mistake on the second one :rofl:

auburnchick
02-11-2007, 05:22 PM

I hope you're kidding! :teehee:

cheesiesmom
02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Mason, every time I decrease for the gusset I have to remind myself to do a plain row following the decrease row.

Same with the toe. I guess I'm easily confused.

However, enough about me....YOUR SOCK LOOKS AMAZING!! Congratulations. You may just have joined the army of sock addicts!

It's so much fun. And small, portable and Fast!!

I really like fast!

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 05:46 PM

I hope you're kidding! :teehee:

Well, a pair of socks should match, right?

:rofl:

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Mason, every time I decrease for the gusset I have to remind myself to do a plain row following the decrease row.

Same with the toe. I guess I'm easily confused.

However, enough about me....YOUR SOCK LOOKS AMAZING!! Congratulations. You may just have joined the army of sock addicts!

It's so much fun. And small, portable and Fast!!

I really like fast!

I'm hoping the fast part will come. Right now I'm going pretty slow.

Where I messed up was in thinking too much about doing the decreases. I just totally forgot about doing that next knitted round. Ah well, that's why it's called practice. :wall:

Stiney
02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Hmmm. I'm doing my swap socks from Sensational Knitted Socks and on the gusset decreases, it has round 2 explicitly say the decreases, and round 3 says "work est pattern." So I did the decreases on that, too. Now I'm not sure if that was right. :??

Birdy
02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
The sock is coming along great!

[Ironically, I worked at a nursing home until I quit to home school... and we had to put the walkie talkies away because of what we were picking up outside of the home.]

Yarnlady
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
I think the trick to making socks is have a very comprehensive pattern the first time. :notworthy: It takes a few times to get the whole concept down of how it's done. Then it's smooth sailing! I turned the heel on my fifth sock last night. It's become an addiction. I'm already getting my KnitPics order ready so I can just click once the tax money's here! :happydance:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/Two/th_misc-1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/Two/misc-1.jpg)

Silver
02-12-2007, 09:05 AM
YAY! Hooray for Mason's turned heel!! I knew you could do it and it makes me so proud to see my tutorial turn into socks for someone! *Great big proud smile*

HamaLee
02-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Mason!
:cheering: :cheering:
Your sock looks great, I can't wait to see it as a pair.
You're doing so much better than I ever did with dpns...it just didn't work out for me so I very quickly switched to doing socks on two circs.

momwolf
02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Looking GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DPN aren't so bad once you get the hang of it.Keep on Knitting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knitting_Guy
02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone. I worked on it until pretty late last night, but still have a lot of "round and round we go" to get to the toe (I have big feet). I'm hoping to have this first sock finished some time today. If so, I'll post a pic of it.

jjminarcik
02-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Mason - Your sock looks awesome! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I've made one pair of socks before and they are addicting. Yea for Silver's Sock Class :muah: :muah: :muah:

Knitting_Guy
02-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks. I had a bunch of stuff to do today (ok, I finally couldn't stand it any more and had to clean the house) so i haven't got a lot lot further on the sock. I think I've knitted maybe a couple more inches on it. I'll try to get some more done this evening or tomorrow. I am really wanting to see the finished product. At this point it's actually looking like a sock of all things.

auburnchick
02-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Sounds like you're trying to get the sock done before you hit the road again.

Funny how "life" gets in the way of knitting. I've got three more weeks until this college term is over. I'll have a week and a half off. Can you say KNITTING TIME??

Knitting_Guy
02-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Sounds like you're trying to get the sock done before you hit the road again.

Funny how "life" gets in the way of knitting. I've got three more weeks until this college term is over. I'll have a week and a half off. Can you say KNITTING TIME??

Yeah, I want to finish this first sock before I leave out.

Only 3 more inches to go before I can start the toe! :cheering:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/mason61/233211.jpg

PinkRoses
02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
OMG, that's a lot of work. You're doing a wonderful job! :cheering: I'm very happy for you.

My next project I'll be working in the round too. I'm going to be working on fingerless gloves. We'll see how those come out.

Can't wait to see the final pair of your socks done.

I've got to run, I'm falling asleep on the internet again. :sleepy:

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks and sleep well.