PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Lovers Anonymous!

Shandeh
02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
What's your favorite chocolate?
Are you addicted to chocolate?
Could you care less about chocolate?

This topic is for all your chocolate, chocolate, chocolate discussion.
:teehee:
http://www.experiencechocolate.com/images/chocolate1.gif

hellokitty165
02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
i luv Chocolate... but i got migraine once i ate them... i got acid reflex and my sympton is getting migraine even if it a small tiny piece...

i am sad everytime i walk by a chocolate boutique... Zurich got alot here and can u imagine i am allergic to them... i thought i am the odd one...but my DH co-worker had the same issue too ...

you all eat a bunch for me... valentine is on the way ... let's celebrate it with CHOCOLATE !!!!!! buy more yarn too ! i bought alot of different kind of yarn and needles here !!! i am totally nuts about knitting .... since i cannot have chocolates i will SUBSTITUTE with lots of yarn and knitting needles !!!!!!!!!!! :roflhard:

mrs desert rain
02-08-2007, 01:30 PM
ooh, i'm SUCH a chocolate lover.

my FAVORITE EVER: Chuaco Chocolatier (http://www.chuaochocolatier.com/), which is out of Encinitas, CA. (It's pricey, though.)

Kaydee
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I went through a period when I was 12 until I was like 16 where I didn't like chocolate :noway: (I know, I must've been crazy) but now I love it!! I've especially gotten to like dark chocolate. Basically chocolate in any form is good for me, my dad makes this great hot chocolate in the winter that's Ghirardelli's and he puts chocolate shavings on top..yum!! The only thing I don't really like is boxes of choclate because I'm not really that into some of the fillings in them.

iza
02-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Ohhhh I love chocolate. Especially dark chocolate, around 70-75% cocoa. However I tasted chocolate containing 99% cocoa and it was awful. So the darker the better? not necessarily for me.

The best chocolate I ever had in my life was handmade from a little store here in Montreal. It was... perfect. Chocolate with caramel and fleur de sel, or cayenne pepper, or even flavored with olive oil. Some combinations sound strange... but they're all insanely good. Not to mention that each chocolate is decorated by hand... it's very expensive of course but what a treat! http://www.chocolatsgg.com/cartean.html

Quiltlady
02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I love chocolate too. :muah: Unfortunately...its shows. :shrug:

projectgal
02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
mmm... dark chocolate. I allow myself one piece a day based on the advice of a friend who lost over 100 pounds. She said that she would allow herself one piece of chocolate everyday. It was much easier to resist baked goodies and pastas if she knew she had a piece of decadent chocolate waiting for every evening after dinner.

So now I'm on the Southbeach and chocolate diet. Maybe I should write a book and make millions!

mwedzi
02-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Oh Sandy, that picture! Like Kaydee, I didn't like chocolate so much when I was younger. I didn't dislike it, but I prefered sugar candy like Starburts and Nerds. I still like those things, but now I love chocolate too. Also, the older I get the darker I want my chocolate. :shrug:

I think I'm going to have to order a box of See's Candy. I love the Raspberry Buttercreams, which come encased in very good dark chocolate. Mmmmm . . .

auburnchick
02-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I'll join this club!! Except that I don't care if I'm anonymous or not.

Anyone who knows me knows I :heart: chocolate!!!!! In fact, the teachers at work will bring me chocolate when they have a computer problem (I'm the computer tech for my school). :teehee:

I prefer milk chocolate over dark, though.

My favorite chocolate thing was something my daughter and I discovered in the fall.

When driving through Atlanta for a soccer weekend, we stopped at Lenox Mall to get some makeup that is sold exclusively there (yeah, yeah, spoiled, I know).

Anyhow, after stopping for lunch at Panera Bread, we were walking out when I noticed a walk-in Godiva store. Poor dd was pulling my arm (picture a 14yo doing this), but she was not strong enough to pull me away from my love.

We wound up getting the most AMAZING cold drink. It's the Caramel Chocolixer.

They lined the bottom of the cup with caramel. Then they pour in the chocolate drink, which has a Godiva chocolate bar blended into it (so you taste the bits of chocolate when you're drinking it). Then they put whipped cream with caramel drizzled on top.

This is, by far, the smoothest drink I have ever had. :clink:

You should have seen my daughter's eyes light up when she tasted it. I wish someone would have taken a picture of us...shared bliss...one rare moment of getting along through the power of chocolate. :teehee:

Then, she went on to have the most FABULOUS two games of her soccer career. Must have been the drink.

When we drove home, we HAD to stop by and get the same drink again. It was, after all, a reward for her GREAT weekend!! :rofl:

iza
02-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Projectgal, I SOOOO agree with you and your friend on that. I definitely think allowing yourself a small treat every day is better than trying to cut everything you liked. Most of the time, people can't stick to their diet, they cheat, then feel guilty about it and lose their self-esteem. I even had a friend who had severe cholesterol problems, and his nutritionnist told him he HAD to allow himself a treat sometimes otherwise he wouldn't be able to stick to the very strict diet he had to follow. She really, really insisted on this. It's sad we don't hear that more often in the media!

Ronda
02-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Dove milk chocolate. Mmmmmmm. Silky smooth and creamy.

Stiney
02-08-2007, 02:23 PM
There is nothing anonymous about my love of chocolate. :drool: :heart:

SandraEllen
02-08-2007, 02:27 PM
call me a cheap date, but I like Dove Dark Chocolate.

:drool:

nonny2t
02-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I love chocolate, but since I am on WW now, though I can eat whatever I want, I don't want to waste a bazillion pts on a piece of fine chocolate. My favorite eating chocolate is Lindt. Their lindor chocolate balls are to die for. I like Dove chocolate also and Dove and Haagan Daas chocolate ice cream bars! YUM! If you are watching your weight, try the 1 pt chocolate candy made by Whitman for WW. The chocolate mints taste like Junior mints and they have a chocolate toffee that tastes like Heath bars. YUMMY!

I now do things like make quasi chocolate covered pretzels by taking a serving of pretzel sticks and 1 tablespoon of Herhsey syrup and drizzling over the sticks then freezing them or just eating them like that. It isn't the same as a nice fat double coated chocolate pretzel, but it serves the purpose.

The things we do to get into our Las Vegas vacation clothes! {{{SIGH}}}

TeeJay
02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Valentines decorated Godiva chocolates go on sale 40-50% off AFTER Valentines Day! I only buy them after each holiday.

Cristy
02-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I didn't like chocolate as a kid but I love it now...the funny part is that I still claimed that I didn't like chocolate (I guess outta habit) up until I met dh b/c he started pointing out that I crave and eat a lot of chocolate for someone who doesn't like chocolate!! LOL!!! :roflhard:

That drink at the Godiva store sounds great--I'm up at lenox fairly regularly so I'll have to stop by and get one! I can't have too much right now b/c of breastfeeding (caffeine--I know a little is okay but I try to avoid it as much as possible) but maybe I can find someone to share it with so I can enjoy just a few sips...

dustinac
02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
for the most part I can leave it alone.. there are days when I need it.. I like Doves... but reese's get me if they are cold :teehee:

My dh is the chocaholic.. he likes Doves, Hershey bars, and Godiva...

Kirochka
02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
I now do things like make quasi chocolate covered pretzels by taking a serving of pretzel sticks and 1 tablespoon of Herhsey syrup and drizzling over the sticks then freezing them or just eating them like that. It isn't the same as a nice fat double coated chocolate pretzel, but it serves the purpose.

I LOVE this idea! I'm totally stealing it!!!!!!

(Er.. for some reason the idea made me express myself as if I'm 30 years younger than I am... :shifty: )

Anyway, our big thing these days is Cowgirl Chocolates (http://cowgirlchocolates.com/) - I think we must have seen them featured on a Food Network show once. I send them to people as gifts (and we just got ourselves some for Valentine's Day). Growing up I didn't like dark chocolate, but now I love it as well as milk, and for dark chocolate bars we adore Dagoba (http://dagobachocolate.com/).

Then again, I have to admit, give me a Hershey's with Almonds and I'm a happy girl! :drool: :drool:

Kirochka
02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Oh, and I heard recently that Americans eat an average of 12 pounds of chocolate per year... I asked DH whose portions we were eating on top of our own! :oops:

Kirochka
02-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Last post, I promise! DH and I had this (http://www.rapunzel.com/products/rapunzel/rapunzel_chocolate_bittersweet.html) bar by Rapunzel once, and it was INCREDIBLE.

janelanespaintbrush
02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
call me a cheap date, but I like Dove Dark Chocolate.

:drool:

That's what DH and I usually buy for our daily fix -- we typically have one or two (okay, sometimes three) miniatures a piece after dinner. (Sure, I'd rather have truffles all the time, but I have to reserve some $ for yarn! ;)) Hot fudge sundaes are another favorite mode of chocolate consumption.

katie09
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Okay, this is funny. I just get done reading this thread and go check my email where there is a Clean Home Journal newsletter. In the newsletter is a link to this:

http://www.cleanhomejournal.com/gardening/49-index.asp

LOL How many want a garden like that? *raises hand*

want2knit
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
serious chocoholic here....I've been known to raid the Nestle's semi-sweet chips during a craving..............

Mariblue
02-08-2007, 03:31 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: chocolate :heart: :heart: :heart:
When I was around highschool age (I'm 30 now), we moved to England, and that's where I truly began to love chocolate! There are these candy bars called Aero bars, and they are featherlight and just melt on your tongue, I really miss those! And also these icecream bars, I'm not sure if I'm remembering the name right, "Feast" bars. Those were wonderful.
Here in the states I enjoy the milk chocolate dove pieces. I try not to have it too often, my husband is the real chocolate lover. Although I'm liking that idea of having one small piece a day...
But I really miss that English chocolate!
Mariblue

Stiney
02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
The best English chocolate is Cadbury Fruit & Nut.

Has anyone ever had spicy hot chocolate? :drool:

aineepooh1
02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I have already posted this under the " are there any non yarn snob " thread but
IMHO

GHIRADELLI CHOCOLATE AND PEPPERMINT (ONLY AVAILABLE AT CHRISTMAS) IS THE BEST FREAKIN' CHOCLATE EVER

IT is to DIE For~~ BTW I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: my chocolate FROZEN :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Frozen is JUst SOOOOoo much better~~!1
i also like Ghiradelli choclate and mint bars which are available all year but CHOCOLATE AND PEPPERMINT IS THE BEST AND MY ABSOLUTE~~
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

DID I MENTION THAT I :heart: :heart: IT? :roflhard: :roflhard:
Even better tha Godiva.. my GF would be :passedout: right now after i said that but
I stand by my decision~~!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Arielluria
02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Who ISN'T addicted to chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!! Dove milk chocolate is great. Also Lindt. Try their white chocolate coconut bars. Yummmmmmmmmmmy!

Stiney
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Who ISN'T addicted to chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!! Dove milk chocolate is great. Also Lindt. Try their white chocolate coconut bars. Yummmmmmmmmmmy!

:ick: and :ick:

You can have my share of white chocolate AND coconut. :teehee:

Now, the extra dark chocolate truffles from Lindt...:drool: Especially when they're melty....oh sweet, sweet chocolate. :notworthy:

janelanespaintbrush
02-08-2007, 03:44 PM

I like Cadbury Fruit and Nut too. I buy a few bars whenever I happen to see them on sale.

I've never had spicy hot chocolate, but you did remind me of something that happened to me as a kid... we went to this restaurant that served "red hot chocolate" and I had to have it because I'd only ever had brown hot chocolate before. Well, what a disappointment when it came. Red hot apparently just meant that it was really hot, not that it was red. :pout:

Did you used to put candy canes into your cocoa as a kid? That was my favorite -- even more than marshmallows (and I was totally into marshmallows).

mrs desert rain
02-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Yes, OMG! I had it once in Barcelona at this strange, dark bar, and another time in Italy. (Verona, I think.)

My BF at the time didn't like it. I was like, :poke: huh?

Chuaco Chocolates has a spicy chocolate bar that is to die for...

Stiney
02-08-2007, 03:59 PM

I like Cadbury Fruit and Nut too. I buy a few bars whenever I happen to see them on sale.

I've never had spicy hot chocolate, but you did remind me of something that happened to me as a kid... we went to this restaurant that served "red hot chocolate" and I had to have it because I'd only ever had brown hot chocolate before. Well, what a disappointment when it came. Red hot apparently just meant that it was really hot, not that it was red. :pout:

Did you used to put candy canes into your cocoa as a kid? That was my favorite -- even more than marshmallows (and I was totally into marshmallows).

I'm picky about my Cadbury. I won't buy it if it was made in the US, because Hershey's licenses the Cadbury name here, and I don't like Hershey's anymore. I'll eat the miniature Mr. Goodbars and Krackels, and the Special Dark, but not the regular milk chocolate.

Also really good? The frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity 3. (The restaurant they go to in the movie Serendipity.)

And when I get a box of chocolates, I take an exploratory half-bite to break through the chocolate first. If it's something yummy, I eat the whole thing. If it's not, I just eat the chocolate off the outside. :rofl:

miccisue
02-08-2007, 04:14 PM

Heck, why be anonymous? I am addicted to chocolate, love Dove Dark Chocolate...don't care much for milk chocolate, but LOVE the dark stuff!!!!!!!!! :cheering:

janelanespaintbrush
02-08-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm picky about my Cadbury. I won't buy it if it was made in the US, because Hershey's licenses the Cadbury name here, and I don't like Hershey's anymore.

Huh. I've never inspected the package for country of origin, but I assume I've been getting the domestic version. The Cadbury branded milk chocolate seems to be creamier and less harsh than regular Hershey's, IMO. At least it was the last time I ate it, which was probably a few months ago. :shrug:

And when I get a box of chocolates, I take an exploratory half-bite to break through the chocolate first. If it's something yummy, I eat the whole thing. If it's not, I just eat the chocolate off the outside. :rofl:

If it doesn't come with a guide, I have been known to manually break open a candy rather than risk yuckiness. I find most nuts and chews to be acceptable, but cream fillings are just :ick:.

aineepooh1
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't agree Jane~~
I like the Creamy Goodness inside.. I :heart: chocolate and orange filling :cheering: :cheering:
but my altime favorite is chocolate and peppermint~!! :notworthy:

KathyinCali
02-08-2007, 04:43 PM
I have already posted this under the " are there any non yarn snob " thread but
IMHO

GHIRADELLI CHOCOLATE AND PEPPERMINT (ONLY AVAILABLE AT CHRISTMAS) IS THE BEST FREAKIN' CHOCLATE EVER

IT is to DIE For~~ BTW I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: my chocolate FROZEN :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Frozen is JUst SOOOOoo much better~~!1
i also like Ghiradelli choclate and mint bars which are available all year but CHOCOLATE AND PEPPERMINT IS THE BEST AND MY ABSOLUTE~~
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

DID I MENTION THAT I :heart: :heart: IT? :roflhard: :roflhard:
Even better tha Godiva.. my GF would be :passedout: right now after i said that but
I stand by my decision~~!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

I am with you! I bought enough of the small squares to keep in my freezer year round. The best! :)

nonny2t
02-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Good grief, I have enough trouble with the fact I have a BBQ place half block away and they start their meat early in the morning when I am out walking, let alone chocolate plants and flowers on my deck or in my house.

figaro
02-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I love milk chocolate, Dove is one of my favorites. My hubby who is a diabetic and thus cannot eat my chocolate :thumbsup: was very nice and thought of me one time. He was at Costco with our daugters and he knows I love chocolate so he bought me a box from there. It turns out that he bought me a box of HERSHEY'S! :ick: :tap: ! I still have that stupid box in my cupboard, the only ones that will eat it are my mom and duaghters, I will wait for my Dove!

miccisue
02-08-2007, 06:21 PM
I love chocolate, but since I am on WW now, though I can eat whatever I want, I don't want to waste a bazillion pts on a piece of fine chocolate. My favorite eating chocolate is Lindt. Their lindor chocolate balls are to die for. I like Dove chocolate also and Dove and Haagan Daas chocolate ice cream bars! YUM! If you are watching your weight, try the 1 pt chocolate candy made by Whitman for WW. The chocolate mints taste like Junior mints and they have a chocolate toffee that tastes like Heath bars. YUMMY!

The things we do to get into our Las Vegas vacation clothes! {{{SIGH}}}

Don't want to sound indelicate here, but does the WW candy ever give you....ummmm.... digestive upset? I'd love to try it, but am afraid it has sorbitol in it which does horrible things to my, well you get the idea. :oops:

Jessica Cobb
02-08-2007, 06:42 PM
I looove dark chocolate. Godiva is my favorite mmmm. :heart:

Kari
02-08-2007, 07:08 PM

I love Green & Black's organic chocolate. I especially like the 70% dark, the white, the milk with almonds and the Maya Gold. MmmmMMMmmm

Chocolate is a necessary food group as far as I am concerned :) .

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Did someone say chocolate?

mmmmmmm chocolate...

mrs desert rain
02-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I love Green & Black's organic chocolate. I especially like the 70% dark, the white, the milk with almonds and the Maya Gold. MmmmMMMmmm

I like Green & Blacks unsweetened cocoa. I used it on Sunday night to make a chocolate cake, and it was purrrrfect!

And, ditto that on the food group. It has health benefits, you know. So, it should be right up there with veggies. :rofl:

madametj
02-08-2007, 07:19 PM
if we're still talking about white vs. brown choclate, i luv both white and milk choclate, nbot a fan of dark though.

I luv Lindt choclate its all melty inside, mmmm :heart:

Stiney
02-08-2007, 07:22 PM

I like Green & Blacks unsweetened cocoa. I used it on Sunday night to make a chocolate cake, and it was purrrrfect!

And, ditto that on the food group. It has health benefits, you know. So, it should be right up there with veggies. :rofl:

Chocolate comes from beans. It IS a veggie. :shifty: (Shamelessly stole that from Dilly)

mks22300
02-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Mmmmmm chocolate..... :teehee:

aineepooh1
02-08-2007, 08:41 PM
NO the WW ch ocolate does not give you the "runs" b/c it does not have sorbitol and it's not sugar free(sf).. In fact it does have sugar and it's just great frozen too~!!

There are a lot of Russell Stovers(green bag) t hat are SF and if you eat too much SF anything........IT will come back to haunt you.. :doh: :notworthy:
but not the WW~!! :cheering:

MoniDew
02-08-2007, 09:50 PM
My name is MoniDew and I'm a Chocoholic! (Now here's the terrifying part: I'm a nutritionist!) DARK chocolate is my fav (not to mention an antioxidant!) And I love the organic ones, too! G&B doesn't last long at my store!! I have to reorder it every week! Seeds of Change just made 4 or 5 new flavors I can't wait to try!!

I have it on good authority that Chocolate is its own food group. I've polled the nutritionists of the world and they all agree with me. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
________
Bmw r1200rt (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R1200RT)

Arielluria
02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
All you chocoholics, try getting your hands on a Coffee Crisp. It's from Nestle but until recently I only found them in Canada, and was addicted to it!!!!!!!!! So are many others, there was even an online petition to try to get Nestle to start selling it in the States: http://www.coffeecrisp.org/ :D

Hubby used to order online for me.........like a box of 48 for Christmas:heart: :heart: :heart:

They started selling them at Spec's near me, but people go there for booze, not chocolate!!!!!!!!! I'd say they need to try a little harder!!!!!!!!!!

Coffee Crisps have a mild coffee flavor and is like a fat Kit Kat in texture. (They now have a white chocolate one which I didn't like as much). I see Fox News did a story on it (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,219040,00.html#).

http://www.foxnews.com/images/228059/0_61_coffeecrisp.jpg

Lieke
02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
I :heart: all chocolate, but the darker the better.

Kirochka
02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
The two spicy hot chocolate mixes we have in the house right now are from Dagoba and Cowgirl Chocolates, which I linked to before (DH is a spice-a-holic, so I was inspired to get them, and now I'm the one drinking them mostly!). Jacques Torres (http://www.mrchocolate.com/Category.aspx) also has a good one. The Cowgirl Chocolates site also suggested putting a truffle in the bottom of your hot chocolate mug and letting it melt there, IIRC... now THERE's an inspired idea!

(We visited the Torres shop in DUMBO - the area of Brooklyn down under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass that has lately become more gentrified. LOVELY place... haven't been to his shop in Manhattan yet though.)

msoebel
02-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Chocolate. I want someone so badly right now.

But I am NOT going to run down to the vending maching downstairs. No. I won't do it.

I am so easy to please when it comes to chocolate. I will eat M&Ms, Milky Ways, 3 Musketeers, Snickers...REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS. The new mint Hershey's kisses are really good (and I usually hate those little things!). There is this little shop in Bay City, Michigan...a little coffee shope/bakery that makes some of the most amazing chocolate creations. And if you're really brave...chocolate covered grasshoppers, grubs and scorpions as well.

I love Godiva's Hot Chocolate (available at any Starbucks). It is very rich and creamy.

But my real weakness is fudge. I make a mean fudge. Mmmmmnnn....fudge. :drool:

It's a good thing I have self control, or I would be gi-normous.:aww:

Misty

Arielluria
02-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I have 4 of those white chocolate and coconuts within feet of me and I'm not touching them. But they're great, and I don't like coconut in chocolate!

I also have (same distance) LOL, 3 bags of Walmart's white chocolate chips to make cookies for my vet, mechanic & pharmacy in a few days, and I can't believe how self-controlled I am! :happydance: Of course my intake of caffeine is going through the roof, just needing something sweet to compensate.

The reason I mentioned the Walmart chocolate chips is that they are THE BEST. I could eat a whole bag by myself! The reason they are the best is that they have as their first ingredient "cocoa butter" and if you look at the Nestle's Tollhouse or any other bag of chips, they all have oil or sugar as their first ingredient. I have yet to find another with cocoa butter as main ingredient. Good to know if you just want to have them around so you can tear into them at a moment's notice ;)

OK I gotta go have some coffee now! :eyebrow:

Stiney
02-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Caffeine? Sweet? :teehee:

I drink my coffee black as sin and just as bitter. :drool: No milk or sugar for meeeeee!

Shandeh
02-10-2007, 01:11 AM

Stine, you and I have the SAME TASTE BUDS!!!
We've GOTTA meet sometime, just to have chocolate together! :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
02-10-2007, 01:19 AM
http://www.towson.edu/users/mckendry/kiss.jpg

yeah_im_crazy
02-10-2007, 02:12 AM
MMM..... I love any dark chocolate, especially Dove with the Promises messages and Hershey's Special Dark. I also am good with a little white chocolate. Milk, I am not too fond of. I like it and stuff, but it just isn't....how do I say this........savory. I LUHHHVE dark chocolate and it has antioxidants in it and other good stuff I've heard!!!