PDA

View Full Version : FO: Irish Hiking Scarf and cable fix

Mariblue
02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I finished this about a week ago, but haven't been able to post it until now. When I was almost finished with it, I realized that about 17 inches back I had forgotten to turn one of the cables, and I sooooo didn't want to frog back that many inches to fix it! Some of the ladies on KH helped to encourage me to be brave enough to cut my scarf, re-knit the cable, and kitchner stitch it back together (thank you, ladies!), and while a little nervewracking, it worked like a charm, and I can now say I am the boss of my knitting! :teehee:
The first pic shows the missed cable. The second pic is after I cut one stitch, and put it on double pointed needles to re-knit it. Then the last is the finished scarf. It's for my husband, who loves it! It's also my second Irish Hiking Scarf, the first was for my dad, for his birthday, but I didn't get a pic of that one. Oh, I made it in black Caron Simply Soft.

Shandeh
02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
:notworthy: You are MUCH braver than I!!!

I have a feeling that skill is going to come to good use MANY times.
(and people are gonna be AMAZED when you do it!)

Jan in CA
02-08-2007, 02:33 PM
That is amazing! It looks gorgeous!

LoAnnie
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't think I could have done that. I have to think really hard when I make a mistake to figure out if it's worth fixing. Excellent job. I'm very impressed.

LoAnnie

loveswildflowers
02-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Totally wowed! Great job with that!! It looks perfect now!

Amber
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
:cheering: Wow! Great job on the fix! The scarf turned out beautiful!

Jaxhil
02-08-2007, 03:47 PM
WOW!!! What a brave thing to do!! I would've told him it was a design decision :D *after* the fact :teehee: but I'm a chicken, lol-really, I'm impressed!!

It is really gorgeous, BTW!

Mama Bear
02-08-2007, 04:55 PM
It's lovely!

GREAT job on fixing the cable!!! :cheering:

Mama Bear

Cristy
02-08-2007, 05:06 PM
yep...you're way braver than me!! It looks great!

Mariblue
02-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks, everyone! :muah: At first I thought there was no way I'd be able to cut my knitting, cause, you know, it takes a lot of time to knit, and you just don't want to ruin it! What helped me was knowing that if I was willing to frog it back (because I couldn't stand the mistake), then I might as well try it. If it didn't work, then the worst thing that could happen would be that I would have to frog it...which I was contemplating doing anyway.
In any case, I'm glad I tried it, cause I learned a new skill!

Ronda
02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

debstein
02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Wow, I am in AWE! First of all, the scarf is beautiful, but learning how to go back and fix a mistake by cutting it and re-knitting - I would never have thought that was possible. You rock!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

sop 1
02-09-2007, 01:11 PM
:cheering: BRAVO!!!! I too have done two of these scarves and cannot imagine doing what you did!

Susan in NC

YouCantBuyThisMovement
02-09-2007, 10:14 PM
A. I love love love it so pretty
B. yea I cant even begin to understand how you fixed it I would have cried and never spoken to the scarf again.

GREAT JOB!

Knitting_Guy
02-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Beautiful work. I shudder just thinking about actually cutting it and reworking it. I don't think I could have brought myself to do it. I haven't been brave enough to try cabling yet. Great job!

Tamar Dohel
02-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Wow! I can't believe that you CUT your scarf! You're braver than me. I'd have just left it.

Well done. It's a lovely scarf. :cheering:

Tamar

Mariblue
02-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks again, everyone!
I actually spent about an hour just examining my knitting and making sure that I would cut it in the right spot. I knitted a little swatch to practice the fix as well. I ran lifelines through the row above and below where I would be cutting so they wouldn't unravel...it was actually quite easy, although it did leave me with a lot of ends to weave in. Although you can't actually see it, when I run my hands over the general area, I can feel the spot where it was fixed.
Mason, cables are easy! This scarf was a great one to learn cables on.

MeghanNicholas
02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
That's amazing! What a great job! :cheering:

DreamWeaver
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Nice job!!! That's totally amazing :cheering:

And my friend looking over my shoulder says it's really nice. Actually, she says: "Nice job, doofus" Don't take it personally, she calls everyone a doofus :roflhard:

HSRCampbell
01-03-2011, 03:16 AM
I know this is forever ago, but how much yarn in Caron Simply Soft did you need to make this long enough? I'm planning to make this scarf (or its' twin, the Palindrome) and I was curious if you remembered how much yarn you used.

kittykins
01-03-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm currently knitting the Palindrome with heather brown Fishermen's Wool. The pattern says "approx. 385 yd. of worsted wt. yarn." I have plenty of my FW that I'll have enough to also make the matching hat and mittens,(or possibly hand warmers).

Lana
01-03-2011, 09:58 AM
BRAVO!!! :yay:

I applaud your desire to want a challenging mistake to be fixed
and your ability and process to get the job done. :yay:

Smee
01-03-2011, 12:01 PM
That turned out just beautiful, and what a brave fix! I found this pattern a few weeks ago, and I have a friend begging me to make one for him. I know if I show him how great it looks in this colour he'll forget all about finding "the perfect blue"...

Huge congrats on this!

JudyD
01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
You did a great job on the scarf, but I'm curious as to why you were told to cut it?

When I was working on the navy blue cable afghan this past summer I noticed a mistake in one of the cables 3 feet down from my needles. I wasn't about to re-do 3 feet of afghan 54" wide so I undid just that one cable and re-worked it. I was at it for two days but when I finished the re-worked area was indistinguishable from the rest.

Judy

crazykntter83
01-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Wow that looks amazing. And you can't even tell that you cut it or anything!!!! I don't think I could ever be brave enough to cut my knitting. Great job!!! :muah: :inlove: :yay:

MerigoldinWA
01-11-2011, 09:09 PM
That looks great! :cheering: I've never tried fixing a cable that way, but it is a good idea. Makes you feel like a genius doesn't it?

ArtLady1981
01-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Great work and even greater FIX! I've never been brave enough to fix a cable using this technique! You did so well! Congratulations!