PDA

View Full Version : What Knitting Magazine Should I Subscribe To?????

Arielluria
02-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I want to subscribe to a knitting magazine. What do YOU recommend? Something with lots of yummy patterns and free stuff is a plus :D

What's your favorite and why?

Silver
02-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Interweave Knits is my favorite. The patterns are well rounded.. some easy, some advanced, and most of them are things I'd actually wear or use. Always a plus, IMHO. :)

Jan in CA
02-08-2007, 07:04 PM
If you can I'd also suggest going to the bookstore like Barnes and Noble to check them out for yourself.

DianaM
02-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I usually stay away from subscribing to magazines, because there's always issues that you're not gonna be crazy about.

So instead of subscribing, I browse through the magazines at stores and buy 'em if the patterns are attractive.

Knitting_Guy
02-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Just do like I've been doing and hit the newsstands and buy all of them. :rofl:

Quiltlady
02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I think it depends on what level of knitter you are. For instance, I LOVE all the magazines for their ads!! I love seeing all the new yarns and patterns.

But I cannot do many of the Vogue and Knitters magazine projects. Most of them are beyond my abilities.

I am very happy with Knit Simple and Knit It and Creative Knitting. Those three are more to my lelvel of "experience" in knitting. :muah:

Quiltlady
02-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I think it depends on what level of knitter you are. For instance, I LOVE all the magazines for their ads!! I love seeing all the new yarns and patterns.

But I cannot do many of the Vogue and Knitters magazine projects. Most of them are beyond my abilities.

I am very happy with Knit Simple and Knit It and Creative Knitting. Those three are more to my level of "experience" in knitting. :muah:

Kari
02-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Usually a subscription will be quite a bit more cost effective than buying magazines at newsstand prices, even if a few of them aren't of interest. You can save over 30% off the newsstand price of Interweave Knits by purchasing a two year subscription.

Ingrid
02-08-2007, 08:58 PM
I also love Interweave Knits. Creative Knitting has a wider variety of levels, but overall, IK is my favorite. I used to get Vogue, too, but their patterns really weren't my style.

jmp3775
02-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Interweave and Knit Simple are the ones I settled on.

Compulsive
02-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Depends on your style & what you're willing to attempt.

I have subscriptions to and like Interweave Knits (http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2007_spring.asp/), Knit Scene (http://www.knitscene.com/2007/projects.asp/) (Interweave Knits publication), andKnit Simple (http://www.knitsimplemag.com/preview.php/)(Vogue publication). I pick up Vogue (http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine-preview.shtml/) sometimes, depending on what's in each issue.

And my dd loves Knit. 1 (http://www.knit1mag.com/preview.php/) (Vogue publication) as there is always something in it even for a 10 yo.

Click on the magazine titles to peruse their offerings of patterrns. Most magazines have preview sections.

syndactylus
02-09-2007, 01:33 AM
I like to just go to the yarn store and look at the rowans, and then go home with interweave.

& is it true that the subscribers to interweave get super-special additional stuff on the website?
that would be another reason to pick that one.

gingergal4l8r
02-09-2007, 09:40 AM
I also love Interweave Knits.

I have just recieved my first subsicription to Intereave Knits..... Love it. Full of great ideas, projects, history and just great reading.

Arielluria
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks all, I like mags that have really wearable things. Like someone mentioned, who wants a mag that doesn't have patterns and pictures of stuff you REALLY want to wear?

They all sound SO good!!!!!!!!! It's such a hard decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cristy
02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm thinking of an interweave subscription for myself...I can't wait for the February issue to come out....it has interlac socks in it (and a thong?!??!)..!!!

feminine_earth
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh, I was gonna ask this same question!! I want a knitting magazine subscription, too, but don't know which one to get! I've heard the magazine "Rebecca" is pretty good, but I've never seen it in the stores so I dunno. :shrug:

Arielluria
02-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Do they have a website?

bip
02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Y'all should just come live next door to me, I somehow subscribe to almost every one of 'em and they are starting to put me out of house and home! This is the list:

Vogue Knitting
Knit Simple (I don't remember paying for this, but it keeps coming)
Interweave Knits
Creative Knitting (which comes every month? Too often, though I really like the simplicity of the patterns, practical w/o being tacky)
Easy Knits
Knitters (a gift from a friend, I'll probably renew)

That doesn't include the ones I hunt for, like Better Home & Gardens Knit It (no subscription option), and then the random ones that turn up on the newsstand.

SandraEllen
02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I think I'm going to subscribe to interweave knits. I've been keeping an eye on it for a while and I think i'll actually knit the patterns they publish.

Some of the patterns in other magazines are too wacky and "trendy" for me to spend the time knitting...

heykaren
02-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Christy, I just went through the Interweave website, and they have a free thong pattern in the "free projects" thread. Karen

Arielluria
02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Websites please people! I have not heard of any of these mags. :pout:

Arielluria
07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Oh, I was gonna ask this same question!! I want a knitting magazine subscription, too, but don't know which one to get! I've heard the magazine "Rebecca" is pretty good, but I've never seen it in the stores so I dunno. :shrug:
Did YOU ever decide? I haven't! I was re-reading this old thread of mine to try to figure it out. I'm leaning towards Interweave.

Lady Violet
07-09-2007, 10:03 PM
if all the issues are like the current one, i'd go with interweave. it's great! :thumbsup:

KnittingNora
07-10-2007, 01:48 AM
I have been subscribing to Simply Knitting which I love, and after all the recommendations on here I have just signed up to interweave knits, so am awaiting my first issue :happydancing::woohoo:

Lobug
07-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Does anybody know when "Knit It!" comes out. I found it once earlier this year and absolutely love it; but can't find it anywhere! Not the yarn stores or Borders.......... If I could, that's the one I would choose. I like Interweave a lot, but don't actually want to do many of the patterns. I've already done 4 of the patterns from my one "Knit It!" mag. They are so practical and cute!!

michellebreton
07-11-2007, 06:27 PM
I checked with BHG who publish Knit It, and they said that they are no longer producing it. I was rather bummed too, as I like that magazine.

Michelle