PDA

View Full Version : Thrifty Knitters Share Your Tips

Arielluria
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I've heard some thrifty tips here and there on this forum and I thought it would be nice to have them all on one post. I'd like to hear what you do or creative ideas you have heard from other thrifty knitters. I find this a bit of a challenge, I still like to spend the big bucks at the yarn store :D, but I guess I can justify it by being thrifty in other ways.

Here's my first tip: When I needed markers and couldn't get to the yarn store I went to Home Depot and bought some tiny "O-rings" (basically they are tiny black rubber washers). I bought the #7s and paid about 1/10 what you'd pay for markers at the yarn store!

dustinac
02-10-2007, 12:46 PM
because I always lose cable needles.. I will use a dpn or dow rod... I have made dpns from dow rods using Amy's video... I use scrap yarn to hold sts on sweaters or whenever still haven't bought a stich holder... I use the library for books so I don't have to buy them :rofl:

purlwise
02-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I also use scrap yarn for markers. I use a lot of markers when knitting a sweater, usually every ten rows on each side as I go. Then with out having to count very hard I can make sure I have the sames number of rows on front and back, and when I go to sew the side seams, all my rows match up perfectly.

I have collected so many straight needles over the years, I bought one of those round decrotive cardboard wine holders from the craft store and put all the needles in the tube, then I can stand it up next to me of on a shelve. The top doesn't fit on, but it is usually attached by a ribbon and looks nice just hanging off the side.

Silver
02-10-2007, 02:59 PM
I only go to the yarn shop when I have *extra* money to spend, and I only spend cash there. So I never walk out feeling guilty.

Arielluria
02-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Silver, I'm with you. It's getting to where people start looking at you weird if you pay with cash. Cash is the way to go for me!

BTW, I checked the links in your sig and I'm about to try knitting my hubby some socks, so I will try the sock tutorial. Thanks for that!

LadyB
02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
safety pins also make great markers.

Arielluria
02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I like using spare yarn for it (in contrasting colors), it doesn't snag on anything like pins or split rings can.

psychedelic_oatmeal
02-11-2007, 09:06 PM
i've found that chopsticks work pretty well when i need the needles for something else right away... just a free pack from a chinese restaurant, generally equivalent to about an 8.
party on! :happydance:

otn: scarfy... um, thing. in icelandic jewels, peridot. hurray for late xmas gifts!

aineepooh1
02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
I have posted this before.. but I will say it again. I use my old Altoid cans as holders. I put my point protectors, stitch markers, and other odds and ends in them. I keep ALL my candy tins now~ the tin is strong enought to protect my goodies.. ~!

Yarn Doc
02-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I make my own stitch markers using beads from old jewelry. For the rings, I use keyrings in various sizes from the hardware store, about 5-10 cents each. I gave some to KellyK for teaching our sock class lasst week!

psammeadred
02-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Recycle yarn from old sweaters!

Yarn Doc
02-12-2007, 12:54 AM
I make my own stitch markers using beads from old jewelry. For the rings, I use keyrings in various sizes from the hardware store, about 5-10 cents each. I gave some to KellyK for teaching our sock class lasst week!

Cristy
02-12-2007, 01:04 AM
I use wooden dowels or dpns too as a cable needle...I even once used two toothpicks held together when I got to a relative's house and realized I left my dpns at home and the only project I brought was a cabled scarf!

I also use scraps of yarn as stitch markers although I have bought one package of stitch markers when I first started knitting. They were made by Boye and came w/ a little plastic box to keep them in--somehow I've managed to keep up w/ about half of them. But in a pinch--scrap yarn of a different color really does work just fine.

I've never recycled yarn but keep swearing that I will someday...

Arielluria
02-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I just learned about the recycling thing from this forum, I can't wait to try. Someone posted a good tutorial link that will really help me get started! :)

aineepooh1
02-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Areurllia
I :heart: :heart: you new doggie pic~ who is that btw?

Webigail
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I use ouchless gum bands, found at the dollar store as markers. There are usually 500 in a bag.

I use safety pins for cables.

I always keep a ball of cheapy yarn on hand to try new patterns, rather than risk messing up the 'good stuff.'

Arielluria
02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi, thanks! That's Peanut, my latest. He was our first foster dog and hubby couldn't live without him, but he's more attached to me. I volunteer with Lone Star Shih Tzu Rescue, but I think he's a Shih Tzu/Bichon mix. See pics of him with my first sweater here: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=368473&highlight=peanut+sweater#368473

I remembered last night I had this picture of him taken a few months ago when he stole my knitting....I came back in the room and that's what I saw. LOL! So I thought it was the PERFECT avatar for my new addiction......knittinghelp.com :teehee: