PDA

View Full Version : What non-knitting Item Is Essential in Your Knitting Bag?

Arielluria
02-10-2007, 06:05 PM
I'd like to know what (besides the usual paraphernalia, i.e. needles, yarn, scissors, eyeglasses, markers, etc.) you think is a MUST HAVE in your knitting bag.

I found it very important to have a nail file in mine. There's nothing worse than finding you HAVE to stop knitting because of a broken nail on which your yarn gets snagged. That's a real knitting mood killer. LOL! :verysad:

auburnchick
02-10-2007, 06:10 PM
I typically carry at least one of my college class books with me. I have to alternate between school work and knitting to keep up with everything.

brendajos
02-10-2007, 06:13 PM
uuuuh... My wallet. :teehee: my knitting bag is also my purse which is why it has to be ginormous! ;)

dustinac
02-10-2007, 06:15 PM
pepper spray... tissues.. lotion...finger nail clippers... :rofl:

it used to have extra paci, diaper, wipes, sippy cup, and snack.. now I can get by with the sippy cup...

feministmama
02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
lotion

Knitting_Guy
02-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Beer

Arielluria
02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Beer :roflhard: I didn't think of that. Sometimes I need one of those as I frog my work. :pout:.......The big outer pockets on that orange knitting bag will come in handy for the beer eh? ;)

Knitting_Guy
02-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Beer :roflhard: I didn't think of that. Sometimes I need one of those as I frog my work. :pout:.......The big outer pockets on that orange knitting bag will come in handy for the beer eh? ;)

Now you know why I wanted that particular bag. 6 pockets, 6 pack. Coincidence? I think not. :rofl:

BinkyKat
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Valium, to counteract frogging freakouts :roflhard:

I'd say PostIt's for notes and place markers on patterns etc. And a package of hand wipes. I hate doing crafts involving fibers when my hands feel dirty.

jhelanee
02-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Chocolate. :teehee:

syndactylus
02-10-2007, 07:04 PM
my ipod!

oh, and my cell phone - to call my mom when things get out of hand, as usual.

snowbear
02-10-2007, 07:50 PM
wet ones, fingernail file, paper & pen, sticky note... you wouldn't beleive all I have in my bag..lol I'm ready for any emergency. Including a small stapler, tape, its micro mini,lol... also, sinus pills, tylenol, kleenex...

I carry a messenger bag.. I'm always ready...

MamaMer
02-10-2007, 07:56 PM
M&Ms bcs they are so portable and they don't get on the work :teehee:

jodstr2
02-10-2007, 07:59 PM
highlighter, teeny Post-Its, ballpoint pen, a PageUp (http://www.nicetoys.com/pageup.html), nail file and lotion.

brendajos
02-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Oooh yeah! There is usually a bottle of green tea in there too! :teehee: and various lip glosses... :roll:

Rennagayle
02-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Magnifying reading glasses. 8)

auburnchick
02-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Ok, so basically our knitting bags have turned into our carry-all's? :teehee:

Jessica
02-10-2007, 09:26 PM
I always keep a little bottle of lotion, asprin, chapstick, iPod and tampoons. You know, the bare essencials :shifty:

madametj
02-10-2007, 11:03 PM
iPod, and LIP GLOSS! :heart:

PinkRoses
02-10-2007, 11:05 PM
pepper spray... tissues.. lotion...finger nail clippers...

it used to have extra paci, diaper, wipes, sippy cup, and snack.. now I can get by with the sippy cup...

Pepper spray?! Good grief woman, where do you do your knitting? :??

auburnchick
02-10-2007, 11:16 PM

:chair:

Stiney
02-10-2007, 11:19 PM
M&Ms bcs they are so portable and they don't get on the work :teehee:

Melt in your mouth, not in your knitting!

:rofl:

Lessee...Wallet, cell-phone, car keys, lip gloss, pen(s), mints (vanillas, technically), tape measure, crochet hook for-to fixy da mistakes, and my school books. Often also carries my lunch. I've got the Namaste bag--it's my everyday, everything bag.

Cristy
02-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Lotion is a must...

There was a time when I would have said my laptop so I could look at Amy's videos if needed! LOL! I'm one of the big bag ladies too--my knitting bag is typically my purse (or either my purse became my knitting bag..I'm not sure which...)

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, my knitting bag is basically my purse too but as a guy I would never admit that. :whistle:

SabrinaJL
02-11-2007, 01:21 AM
When I saw the title I thought "nail file" too. That's the only non-knitting thing I keep in my bag. :teehee:

Arielluria
02-11-2007, 02:03 AM
Valium, to counteract frogging freakouts :roflhard:Now you're talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arielluria
02-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Yeah, my knitting bag is basically my purse too but as a guy I would never admit that. :whistle:LOL! Just carry it like a football like my husband. He refuses to carry my purse 10 feet unless it's in a "manly" way (i.e. like a football). :roflhard:

Arielluria
02-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Ok, so basically our knitting bags have turned into our carry-all's? :teehee:I'm pretty new to this forum and to knitting but I can see that now! Today I just took my knitting bag and threw my keys, phone & wallet inside. Oh, AND iPod! ;) Gotta have that!

Some hand lotion and lipstick and I'm good to to go! :happydance:

sittenknitten
02-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Lip balm and a lotion bar (lanolin and honey, smells great and keeps the yarn from snagging on my poor rough fingers.)

Liliyarn
02-11-2007, 02:59 AM
nail file, stickies, pen, lotion, debit card, ID, change purse, Excedrine...all must haves.

ArtLady1981
02-11-2007, 05:22 AM
This is a list of non-knitting items that I take in my knitting bag when I am traveling; knitting away from home If I forgot one of these items I would be bummed.

Victoria's Secret lotion (Pear); tweezers; nail file; screwdriver for eyeglasses; Bic whiteout; ink pens (red, dk blue, pink, turquoise & green ink); tablet; post-its; katcha-katcha; tape measure; needle sizer; one small knitting reference book; tissue; small mirror.

The tweezers are for picking odd hairs out of the yarn...or the junk that comes in NORO yarn. (If you are a NORO knitter, you know what I mean!) The mirror is to pick itty bitty hairs or linty things out of my eyeball!

MoniDew
02-11-2007, 09:25 AM
my bifocals. Granny needs to SEE to knit!

what's katcha-katcha?
________
Honda cbr600f (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBR600F)

dustinac
02-11-2007, 09:52 AM

:chair:

:rofl: my knitting bag is my purse too.. dh got the pepper spray for me to put his mind at ease when I'm out by myself... :teehee:

zkimom
02-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Beer

Now why would you need to waste valuable space in your knitting bag when you can just wear one of these?

Your hands would be free to knit and purl as you wished and you wouldn't even have to rifle through your bag for the second one.

:clink:

Susan

Stiney
02-11-2007, 12:43 PM
It just tain't right, drinking beer through a straw.

Give me a nice pint of draft beer any day. :drool:

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 01:00 PM
It just tain't right, drinking beer through a straw.

Give me a nice pint of draft beer any day. :drool:

Exactly!

Arielluria
02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I'd say if Knitting_Guy's objective is to remain inconspicuous, the hat is a bad idea. :teehee:

zkimom
02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I'd say if Knitting_Guy's objective is to remain inconspicuous, the hat is a bad idea. :teehee:

What? You don't think this is inconspicuous?

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jan in CA
02-11-2007, 04:30 PM
OMIGOD zkimom! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I generally have my purse with me as well as my knitting bag if I'm going to knit because I haven't reached that level of independence from my purse yet. :teehee: I'm getting there though! The most important thing besides the usual knitty stuff is a notepad and pencil!

CarmenIbanez
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Calculator. Because I can never manage to knit something to its original gauge. So yeah, I need to calculate.

Arielluria
02-11-2007, 06:20 PM
:chair: :yay: :rofl:

Kaydee
02-12-2007, 11:48 AM
What a good look on you Mason :teehee:

Arielluria
02-12-2007, 11:52 AM
At least it matches the knitting tote eh?!? ;)

mwedzi
02-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Does a crochet hook for picking up dropped stitches count as a non-knitting thing? Cuz that's really helpful. Other than that, a nail file and lotion is good. For a knitting bag, that's all I need. But I'm generally carrying another bag with me for all the other stuff I want.

aineepooh1
02-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Mason~~Oh Lord.. that just aint' right~~ :teehee:

Anyhoo.. I HAVE to have Altoids (chocolate dipped yumm) or York Mints (chocolate dipped Yummmm). . I looove it's cool, creamy, goodness~

Birdy
02-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I do most of my knitting at home.

But I like chocolate and coffee with knitting. I usually have the portable phone handy, and a bottle of lotion.

I made sure my purse would fit my knitting, so away from home, I have a whole huge assortment of things with me.

dplantlady
02-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I agree with Jan...absolutely a PENCIL with a good, USABLE ERASER!!! And a small (post-it size) note paper.

Someone else mentioned a crochet hook...ditto here! Beats doing all that frogging if it's a simple enough thing I'm knitting that I can just take one stitch back 10 rows and fix the mistake I didn't see until I was that far along.

A second project! So that if I get "stuck" on something, I can just pick up something else & knit on!
:cheering:

Diane

orcoastknitter
02-12-2007, 12:42 PM
I have lotion, chapstick, dog treats, cuticle trimmers, Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle creme, chapstick, a workable pen, cell phone, wallet, dog toys, portable water bowl for the dog and keys. Did I mention chapstick?

DreamWeaver
02-12-2007, 01:28 PM
oh... decisions dicisions.

I guess I have to have my ipod and lip gloss, not to mention some form of candy (gum, chocolate, mints, altoids, ext). Yup, that's pretty much all I need to survive :cheering:

Arielluria
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I have lotion, chapstick, dog treats, cuticle trimmers, Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle creme, chapstick, a workable pen, cell phone, wallet, dog toys, portable water bowl for the dog and keys. Did I mention chapstick?LOL! Guess I should add some of those dog treats to mine too, especially on Wed. when I take one of mine to an Assisted Living home.

Hey, your pup's a cutie, is it a Cairn? Name and more pics would be appreciated! ;)

Arielluria
02-12-2007, 01:36 PM
oh... decisions dicisions.

I guess I have to have my ipod and lip gloss, not to mention some form of candy (gum, chocolate, mints, altoids, ext). Yup, that's pretty much all I need to survive :cheering:iPods rule!!!!!!!!!!!! Until last Sept I had no idea what an iPod was, now it's my blankie! I can't go ANYWHERE without it!

jdee
02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I like to have postit notes, and a pen. I don't have a nail file in mine, or hand lotion, but those sound like wonderful ideas.

becjo
02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I have to have Aspercreme in my bag because my fingers get so achy after awhile.

(That picture of Mason with that hat on is CLASSIC! I dont see how he could ever live without one now he sees how nice it looks on him!) :cheering: You all are so computer savvy!

PaperGirl
02-12-2007, 04:51 PM
A tube of lotion...Hersheys Kisses....a bottle of water...and a cheesy romance book. :oops:

Seeing as how I havent actually taken my bag out with me anywhere yet...I suppose when I do it will change. I have 3 balls of yarn that I havent started anything with yet in my bag taking up space... :rofl:

Arielluria
02-12-2007, 05:06 PM
I like to have postit notes, and a pen. I don't have a nail file in mine, or hand lotion, but those sound like wonderful ideas.The post-it notes are a MUST, they make a great pattern bookmark, you can stick them right where you stopped last and find you place right away when you take up your work again. I draw an arrow on it to use as a pointer.

Jeremy
02-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I think I would be more than a little nervous seeing him drive an eighteen wheeler with one of those on. :teehee:

Jeremy
02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
A lightbulb. It helps me do the Kitchener stitch on socks. :shrug:

Jan in CA
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM

:?? How's that work?

Jeremy
02-12-2007, 06:24 PM

Once I'm ready to do the stitch i stick the bulb in the sock. It spreads the sock out so the stitches don't get bunched together and I can thread the yarn in and out more easily. I can also see whether I'm actually doing it correctly or not.

ArtLady1981
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi MonyDew!

A katcha-katcha is a Clover Knitting Counter and it is available in a lot of places, both online and brick'n'mortar. Here is a link for it at Joanns.com

http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$XMHS21YAAB5COP4SY5LRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=82328&PRODID=11837&source=search

I have three of the buggers! I put a teensy square stick'um labels on them when using more than one at a time...one for rows, the other for total repeats, etc. etc.

I LOVE THE KATCHA-KATCHA! (so named because as you click it, it makes a katcha-katcha sound, sorta.)

Arielluria
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM

Once I'm ready to do the stitch i stick the bulb in the sock. It spreads the sock out so the stitches don't get bunched together and I can thread the yarn in and out more easily. I can also see whether I'm actually doing it correctly or not.I'd say you win the prize for the most unexpected item in the knitting bag!

jjminarcik
02-12-2007, 09:19 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I always have chapstick and a band for pulling my hair out of my face. I like knitting with yarn, not my hair! :teehee:

ecb
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Non knitting things;
Power Chocolates
Airborne
my Palm pilot
knitting group phone lists
checkbook
crystals/pendulum/cards
hair brush
barrette

Things I use for knitting;
zip lock bags
tea candle
my home made stitch markers (to use or sell)
manicure kit (for nails AND needles)

aineepooh1
02-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I am sorry but what is the tea candle for?? :shrug:

SandraEllen
02-12-2007, 11:37 PM

Once I'm ready to do the stitch i stick the bulb in the sock. It spreads the sock out so the stitches don't get bunched together and I can thread the yarn in and out more easily. I can also see whether I'm actually doing it correctly or not.

I just usually jam my fist in the end of the sock for that. :teehee:

hmm... non knitting related? benadryl. i'm really allergic to other people's pets. I really break out in red itchyness when dogs lick me.

oddest knitting related itme? pocket scale. it comes in handy sometimes.

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Kind of in line with this topic, I think it would be really cool if someone could create a combination knitting bag/laptop case. Then I'd be in heaven for sure. :happydance:

SandraEllen
02-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Kind of in line with this topic, I think it would be really cool if someone could create a combination knitting bag/laptop case. Then I'd be in heaven for sure. :happydance:

Funny thing happened today. I carried my knitting bag down from upstairs and thought to myself, "man, this is really heavy." when i opened it up to look, my laptop was snuggled up with my knitting. It's a baby laptop (smaller than a piece of paper) so it fits everywhere.

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 12:26 AM

Funny thing happened today. I carried my knitting bag down from upstairs and thought to myself, "man, this is really heavy." when i opened it up to look, my laptop was snuggled up with my knitting. It's a baby laptop (smaller than a piece of paper) so it fits everywhere.

Actually I am kind of hoping the knitting tote I ordered from Jo Ann's will be big enough for my knitting, laptop, and all the other junk I usually carry around.

ilurffknit<3
02-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Most most definitely, wether they're in use or not, my first pair of needles. Size 9 susan bates red/pinkish needles. They assure me that I can do it, because I completed my first project on them of course! If I lost them, I might give up knitting entirely. I love them to death lol :heart: :muah:

KathyinCali
02-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi MonyDew!

A katcha-katcha is a Clover Knitting Counter and it is available in a lot of places, both online and brick'n'mortar. Here is a link for it at Joanns.com

http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$XMHS21YAAB5COP4SY5LRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=82328&PRODID=11837&source=search

I have three of the buggers! I put a teensy square stick'um labels on them when using more than one at a time...one for rows, the other for total repeats, etc. etc.

I LOVE THE KATCHA-KATCHA! (so named because as you click it, it makes a katcha-katcha sound, sorta.)

I have at least six of these floating around. I have the ultimate new-fangled digital counter but the Kathca-Katcha is what I use...

MamaMer
02-13-2007, 02:36 PM
tea candle

I too must know how a tea candle is used in knitting. I am always looking for little tidbits!! (like the lightbulb thing, which is a GREAT idea, I would just be too afraid I would smash it to bits by accident while it was knocking around in my bag-I have 3 little kids, my bags take some level of abuse!! :teehee: )

SabrinaJL
02-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I totally recommend the mini Kacha-Kacha (http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$YKRZUIYAAEB2KP4SY5LRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=82328&PRODID=132529&source=search)instead of the red one. I disovered that the red one can get messed up too easily (my cats would knock it down and it would change the numbers, etc...) The green one however, is a little harder to click, it actually locks (which I LOVE) and you can put it on a string and wear it around your neck. It is WAYYY better than the red one.

KathyinCali
02-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Oooh. That's cool. I would like one that locks :)

MoniDew
02-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi MonyDew!

A katcha-katcha is a Clover Knitting Counter

Thank you for answering my question! I've been making little tic marks on a sheet of paper by my side. I've got to get a little bit more 21st century with my knitting! :doh:
________
Triumph sprint st (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Triumph_Sprint_ST)

orcoastknitter
02-14-2007, 02:21 AM
I have lotion, chapstick, dog treats, cuticle trimmers, Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle creme, chapstick, a workable pen, cell phone, wallet, dog toys, portable water bowl for the dog and keys. Did I mention chapstick?LOL! Guess I should add some of those dog treats to mine too, especially on Wed. when I take one of mine to an Assisted Living home.

Hey, your pup's a cutie, is it a Cairn? Name and more pics would be appreciated! ;)

Yep she is a cairn. Her name is Greta and she is 5 months. I have had her almost 3 months now. Here is a recent pic.

nadja la claire
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
uuuuh... My wallet. :teehee: my knitting bag is also my purse which is why it has to be ginormous! ;)

Ditto. I also carry lotion, tissues, appointment book, coco butter for my lips and a timer. I have a lot of junk to carry.

Thanks for the beer idea Mason, that should make work and knitting very interesting. :teehee:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Arielluria
02-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Greta is SOOOOOOOOOO adorable!

I'm always trying to either rescue dogs off the street or away from traffic at least, so I ALWAYS carry a pop-top can (no can opener needed) of Alpo to use as bait. ;)[/i]

aineepooh1
02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Arierulluria~

BAIT~~~?? :roflhard: :roflhard:
LIke Here fishy, fishy~!! :rofl:

Mrs. Columbo
02-15-2007, 04:09 PM
My knitting bag is very large, almost like an overnight bag .... I put my purse in it ..... when I went to my first knitting night with it I took a knit book with a pattern I wanted explained, a couple balls of yarn to get opinions on and a project I was working on (shawl, before I frogged it) ... my husband said "are you moving out?" .... the next time I went out with it he said "do we need to board the dogs?" :grrr:

The hat .... nice look Mason .... verrrrrrry nice ... sure will knock the ladies dead with that one. :passedout:

Toby

hydeemarie
02-15-2007, 10:12 PM
SO what's really :waah: about this is that I don't have a knitting bag! :thud: But I did make a list of things that I would HAVE to HAVE in it when I get one (and I WILL get one VERY VERY SOON):
At least 2 knitting projects
a small bag with darning needle, row counter, stitch holder, marker, cable needle, scissors, point protectors
chapstick
lipgloss
mascara
eyeliner
mirror
post-its
pens
keys
wallet/cards and money
playing cards
hair ties
hand sanitizer
lotion
mints
gum
tide to go pen
my rings
bandaides
flavored water
cell phone
That seems like alot, but i would be lost w/out it all!!! :clink:

Arielluria
02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Oh, forgot something VERY important...........handi-wipes!!!!!!! Nothing worse than staring at your knitting in the car after eating a hamburger and not being able to get to work!!!!! :pout:

hob
02-26-2007, 10:50 PM
i have some hairpins/(to pin to thelast line i was on my patterns so i dont forget) a note pad to write down idears, my lunch box(with food in it) a clock.. tho i do forget to look at it.my mp3player and 1 plastic box for things i might need buttons gemstones, hair ties safety pins beads wire forsomerason i carnt rember ect. and another box full off end bits off wool(yarn) that i just dont know what to do with.

Arielluria
03-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Mrs. Columbo, that's quite a lapdog! :cheering: If you make him/her a sweater, it might take almost as long as a people sweater. :roflhard: