PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Crochet

landolphe
02-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I have found a Learn to Crochet tutorial on the web and want to give it a go. It does not suggest any particular yarn or hook to learn with. :shrug: Can anyone suggest a good yarn for learning and an appropriate sized hook?

Thanks,

Landolphe

jmp3775
02-10-2007, 09:24 PM
I would suggestthe same as I would for someone learning to knit- worsted weight and probably a size H hook.
I learned on Red Heart ( it was the 80's and I learned from Grammy :oops: ).
I would suggest a non-splitty yarn.

landolphe
02-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the direction. :hug: I must have some worsted wt yarn in the stash bag, and I can buy a size H hook.

I have seen crochet hooks that have large handles - almost the size of that of a screwdriver. These look to me to be comfortable and not so likely to result in finger cramps. What think you? Do you have a link where these are available?

Interestingly, when I have taught others to knit, I start them out on a chunky-bulky wool or blend with a good twist and largish round needles, say US 10.5 or 11s (depending on their finger size and dexterity from other activities).

Landolphe

madametj
02-10-2007, 11:43 PM
i'm not sure what tutorial u're using, but these crochet videos (http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html) really helped me

:hug: good luck

humblestumble
02-11-2007, 02:01 AM
I used a J hook to learn and some worsted weight yarn. I think it's a good size to learn on. It's larger than an H and and I. I tend to use it a lot too (I have three Js)

aprildavis99
02-11-2007, 02:06 AM
OMG! I wish I had those tutorial videos 10 years ago when I was learning to crochet. I am going to bookmark them though, because there are few advanced stitches that I could never do and now I can learn. :cheering:
Thanks for posting that. :muah:

landolphe
02-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Those are excellent videos - similar to those of Amy here. Thanks for that link.

Landolphe

RachelG
02-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Those are excellent videos - similar to those of Amy here. Thanks for that link.

Interestingly enough, the name of the lady who did those videos is Amie!