PDA

View Full Version : OT: Home Brewing--anyone?

Stonington
02-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Good morning all. I know this is a stretch lol. :teehee: But we have discovered a new hobby, brewing beer. The newest batch (#4)will be blackberry wheat. We are having a hard time finding out how much blackberry puree to put into a 5 gallon batch... anyone a brewer out there that might help us out? Thanks for taking the time to read this post! :hug:

anne

auburnchick
02-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Hmmm...

Knitting and brewing beer...interesting combination.

Sounds like something Mason would do. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I used to do home brew back when I was in college. A good friend and I always brewed up a big batch so that it would be ready on New Year's Eve.

Stonington
02-11-2007, 12:28 PM
lol initially this started out as DH's hobby.. so I would have more time for my hobbies :shrug: but somehow it ended up as "our" hobby :teehee:

I have found out though - that you do not want to drink too many of your own brews and pick up the needles. Strange stitches happen! :doh:

anne

Lucy78green
02-11-2007, 12:36 PM
my parents used to make their own wine - I think it's was a popular 70's hobby - but most of it was rocket fuel so they gave up after a while

Knitting_Guy
02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
lol initially this started out as DH's hobby.. so I would have more time for my hobbies :shrug: but somehow it ended up as "our" hobby :teehee:

I have found out though - that you do not want to drink too many of your own brews and pick up the needles. Strange stitches happen! :doh:

anne

Friends don't let friends knit drunk.

talche
02-11-2007, 01:27 PM
My Dh brews. He never used puree but he has added 3-4 quarts unpasteurized juice to a 5-gallon batch before. HTH

Silver
02-12-2007, 08:53 AM
My DH brews too, because I insisted that the man get a hobby that doesn't involve getting covered in motor oil. He has a batch going right now, as a matter of fact. He uses kits though, so he doesn't have to think too much about the ingredients, which he buys from williamsbrewing.com.

Stonington
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
My DH brews too, because I insisted that the man get a hobby that doesn't involve getting covered in motor oil. He has a batch going right now, as a matter of fact. He uses kits though, so he doesn't have to think too much about the ingredients, which he buys from williamsbrewing.com.

Kristin,
We will check out that site tonight, thanks! The first batch we brewed was a kit. After that we wanted to experiment. This will be the 4th batch - so far so good lol...

Thanks again! anne

Emeraldcutie
02-12-2007, 10:18 AM
I found this when I was crusing the internet, thought it was fitting

Stonington
02-12-2007, 10:24 AM

:roflhard:

:?? hmmm on a knitting bag, T-shirt... would it work on a bumper sticker? :shrug:
Speaking of bumper stickers.. saw one last week "Hookers do it on a rug" poor woman must have thought I was aiming to put my Subaru in the trunk as I got close to read it :roflhard:

anne

Knitting_Guy
02-12-2007, 11:42 AM

:roflhard:

Mulderknitter
02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I absolutely love that pic! I do end up with some very interesting stitches when I've had a few too many....My mom is a weaver and she always has to go back the next day and check the loom to make sure she didnt' screw up too bad! :roflhard:

Chrissie
02-12-2007, 04:39 PM
We got a home brewing kit for Christmas.....I know it said something about adding fruit in the instructions. Let's see.............

found it!

It says to use 1 15oz can of fruit in light syrup. It also says "never use pie filling, unpasteurized fruit, or fruit with imitation ingredients." It recommends using "Oregon Fruit Company" canned fruit, but I bet you could use anything.

Stiney
02-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Blackberry wheat beer? :drool:

CarmenIbanez
02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Friends don't let friends knit drunk.

I was home one day after getting a root canal, and I had taken some pain medication. Well I was knitting away, happy as a clam, then I fell asleep. When I awoke with a needle poking my ribs, I had been asleep for several hours. And I looked at what I had been knitting. I don't know what I thought I was doing, but that was some crazy knitting!

jjminarcik
02-12-2007, 09:22 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

How true!!!

Compulsive
02-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Ship me a case and don't forget to use that We drink & We knit photo as the bottle label.

SandraEllen
02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
A guy I work with brews his own beer and he said that he would only like a hint of the blackberry and would add about a cup to a 5 gallon mix. and that he would add it at the secondary. whatever that means. :shrug: :teehee:

Stonington
02-13-2007, 09:31 AM
A guy I work with brews his own beer and he said that he would only like a hint of the blackberry and would add about a cup to a 5 gallon mix. and that he would add it at the secondary. whatever that means. :shrug: :teehee:

Thanks Sandra! :hug: It is like learning a new language lol. secondary, hydrometers, hops, so many gadgets and gizmos. 1 cup per 5 gals hmmm...

anne

spinnknit
02-13-2007, 04:49 PM
It is amazing what you can learn on a knitting forum!

Where does one get blackberry puree during winter? Freezer fruit?

I used to make wine, but gave it up when sugar increased in price so much.

blackberry/wheat?........... sounds different. I'm having a hard time getting past that flavor combo. Can you tell?

Is it necessary to use yeast when brewing beer? People used to tell me to use yeast when making wine, but I never did. I let nature take its course.

Stiney
02-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Most wheat beers have a fruity taste to begin with, so adding a fruit on purpose isn't too much of a stretch.

Mmmm. I'm still drooling thinking about this.