PDA

View Full Version : OT-Valentines gift for Husbands

Duckling326
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
What do you give your Husband for Valentines day??? I get stuck on this every year such a commercial day.

Julie
02-12-2007, 12:48 PM
We celebrate Valentine's Day more as a family holiday -- my two daughters and I make a special dinner for DH where everything is heart-shaped or served on heart-shaped dishes. As the years go one it's getting harder to be original, but it's a lot of fun! They're at the ages where they loooove to decorate the dining room, frost cookies, etc -- they look forward to it for weeks and weeks.

If it was just us, I would buy him dinner and/or concert tickets -- we really don't need more "stuff" so gifts of time out together are right up our alley. :D

dustinac
02-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I always get him Doves they are his favorite.. and this year he kept mentioning how he would like start reading the Dresden files.. so I took that as a hint... :teehee: hopefully it gets here in time.. I went out yesterday for the kids gift.. I always get them a little stuff toy and some converstaion hearts... not sure what dh has planned for me or when I'll get it.. last year he drug out a huge dog out of the back of the car after we had said not doing Valentines Day... then one year he hid choc and I had to find it.. found it in the file cabinet.. :rofl:

janelanespaintbrush
02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
:teehee:

NinaT
02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
My husband is an amateur radio enthusiast (nut) and his favorite part is communicating in morse code. I stole the idea from the January KAL and am making him a hat with "I Love You!" in morse code stitched in.

Cristy
02-12-2007, 02:54 PM
my dh LOVES superman and collects maquettes (statues), etc. I stopped by the "cookie gram store" this morning to order some sugar cookies and have them delivered and they had just gotten in a HUGE superman cookiejar. The stinking thing was expensive but I got it anyway--so he'll get a superman statue full of cookies. Last year I bought window clings and balloons and after he went to sleep I filled his care w/ red, pink and white balloons and put the window clings all over his car windows so when he went outside to go to work it was a surprise. I also bought him some candy and delivered it myself to his shop.

sittenknitten
02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm trying to de-emphasize gift giving all year long, doing away with the pressure to spend "X" amount of $$ and letting the advertising carry me away.

I think it's kind of presumptious to tell DH what to do or not do for Valentine's Day, but we're working on this downsizing of the gifting together, so I hope he sticks to the plan.

I got him a Valentine card with a thoughtful message that sound like something I would actually say and a couple of small Reeses peanut butter foil-wrapped "lips" to go with it. I'm doing weight watchers, so he knows not to get me candy. A simple token of affection is plenty for me, :heart: , and I try to do things for him all the time rather than once or twice a year.

sittenknitten
02-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm trying to de-emphasize gift giving all year long, doing away with the pressure to spend "X" amount of $$ and letting the advertising carry me away.

I think it's kind of presumptious to tell DH what to do or not do for Valentine's Day, but we're working on this downsizing of the gifting together, so I hope he sticks to the plan. The main thing is not to ignore the day entirely, just do it in a low-key yet loving way.

I got him a Valentine card with a thoughtful message that sound like something I would actually say and a couple of small Reeses peanut butter foil-wrapped "lips" to go with it. I'm doing weight watchers, so he knows not to get me candy. A simple token of affection is plenty for me, :heart: , and I try to do things for him all the time rather than once or twice a year.

Cristy
02-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I agree w/ sitten about not over emphasizing the holiday--I tried to convince dh that we shouldn't do anything but he says it's the only commerical holiday that isn't all about the kids so he wants to. That's really weird coming from my dh b/c he is the most frugal person on the plant and hates to spend money on ANYTHING (he won't even buy batteries unless they are at a discount store! LOL!)

kristinw
02-12-2007, 03:06 PM
He's going to get a lovely card!

cookworm
02-12-2007, 04:54 PM
My husband is an amateur radio enthusiast (nut) and his favorite part is communicating in morse code. I stole the idea from the January KAL and am making him a hat with "I Love You!" in morse code stitched in.

How fun! :cheering: I wish I could be this creative! :notworthy:

niffer
02-12-2007, 05:47 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

HAHA - out of 10 replies - only one of you guys has mentioned knitting!!!

I'm trying to get his Ipod shuffle case done but he rudely takes it to work with him so I can't measure the thing!!!

We agreed not to buy anything because we're experimenting with a more frugal lifestyle, but he did spend 1.50 on me on Saturday on three books in a charity shop. I told him that the cauliflower from the greengrocer was his gift and he seemed happy enough with that :teehee:

jodstr2
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
nothing. it's just another day at our house.

ecuzzacrea
02-12-2007, 06:00 PM
We already exchanged gifts because he couldn't wait to give me mine. I got him a set of red Coke glasses to drink his Coke (his favorite) out of and also to match my upcoming red kitchen. :rofl:

We typically don't do big gifts because we spend a lot on Christmas, but he got me a pink Nintendo DS Lite so that I could play with him on his black one that I got him for Christmas. It's really fun! :muah:

Dangles
02-12-2007, 06:01 PM

I'm trying to get his Ipod shuffle case done but he rudely takes it to work with him so I can't measure the thing!!!

If it's the newest one he has specs are:
* Height: (2.72 cm)1.07 inches
* Width: (4.11 cm) 1.62 inches
* Depth: (1.04 cm) 0.41 inch (including clip)

If it's the older one then:
* Height:(8.38 cm) 3.3 inches
* Width: (2.49 cm) 0.98 inches
* Depth: (0.84 cm) 0.33 inches

dustinac
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
We already exchanged gifts because he couldn't wait to give me mine. I got him a set of red Coke glasses to drink his Coke (his favorite) out of and also to match my upcoming red kitchen. :rofl:

We typically don't do big gifts because we spend a lot on Christmas, but he got me a pink Nintendo DS Lite so that I could play with him on his black one that I got him for Christmas. It's really fun! :muah:

hmm red coke glasses.. :teehee: did you happen to order them online?? My kitchen and dinning room is Coca Cola themed and so all my glasses match.. although this will be my 3rd set.. but one set no one is allowed to touch :teehee:

Dangles
02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Yikes, my DH loves Coke stuff .. hrmm.. he's getting a card from the kidlets and I'll whip up one of his favourite meals :)

NinaT
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
I told him that the cauliflower from the greengrocer was his gift and he seemed happy enough with that
Wouldn't asparagus have been more festive?

ebrperk
02-12-2007, 06:29 PM
My husband had been OBSESSED with looking at laptop computers. We found a Great deal on one last week so that was his Valentine's gift. I think I just gave in so I wouldn't have to watch him scope them out on the internet anymore. LOL. I am not sure what I am getting.

PaperGirl
02-12-2007, 06:36 PM
I got my DH a set of drawing pencils, a sketchbook, and pencil case while we were at HL the other day. He wanted to get me knitting stuff...but had no idea what to get me...so he picked his drawing stuff, and I picked some needles, and patterns, and stuff...and we called it even. LOL!

Although, we are going to the movies on Friday to see Ghost Rider.

Nic Cage for me....action super hero for him. We both win. :happydance:

redwitch
02-12-2007, 06:46 PM
If your men are anything like me, they'll think you are way cool if you get them a few dozen of their favourite beer.
Sarah

Birdy
02-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Books, I give him books.

But I did consider another pair of socks... for about 5 minutes.

BarbRude
02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I married a coffee drinker so he is getting a beautiful card and gift card to Starbucks. He will be a happy man.

janelanespaintbrush
02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I married a coffee drinker so he is getting a beautiful card and gift card to Starbucks. He will be a happy man.

Something else you might consider is an espresso machine. It's a big one time investment, but if he's a Starbucks regular, it'll probably pay for itself in a few months.

vaknitter
02-12-2007, 09:18 PM
we don't really buy each other gifts for Valentine's, we go out for a nice dinner and either a movie or a play (Romeo & Juliet at a Shakespearen playhouse last year). We do fun little stuff for each other - like funny/sexy underwear, notes under the winshield wipers etc.

We commute to/from work together every day so it is hard shop for each other. I was hoping to do some shopping tomorrow to be able to decorate his office and love the idea for window clings on his car, but alas it appears we will be iced in tomorrow !!

Duckling326
02-13-2007, 01:39 AM
haha loved all the responses!

See my birthday was on the 10th (just this pass Sat) then Valentines day....then our anniversary on March 26.

I can totally do away with Valentines day, and do my best to tell him not to go all out.

So I found him a very nice card and was thinking of getting him a DVD.

I liked the idea about knitting in morse code on a hat, gee should I make him another hat :?? .

msoebel
02-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, I am not a lover of Valentine's Day, but dh is. This year, we compromised by agreeing to take our daughter with us to dinner at a steakhouse (my treat) and then he is going to treat the two of us to a movie night out without daughter next week (except that I want to go see Wild Hogs...the new movie with Travolta, Tim Allen, and William H. Macy as middle aged bikers - looks hilarious! - and he wants to see Bridge to Terabithea. We'll probably end up seeing his movie.).

I knitted up a little red pouch for him...to be filled with various coupons (which I never give him because I know that he will want to cash them in on nights when I really, really don't want to). Some coupons will be things like "back rub" etc, but most will probably be a little more, ahem, amorous, and will most likely involve the kama sutra. :oops:

He will love it.

I am trying desperately to finish knitting the heart shaped pink pillow for my 3 year old. I have one side finished....and the point of the second. My fingers had better start flying!

Misty

KathyinCali
02-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I knitted up a little red pouch for him...to be filled with various coupons (which I never give him because I know that he will want to cash them in on nights when I really, really don't want to). Some coupons will be things like "back rub" etc, but most will probably be a little more, ahem, amorous, and will most likely involve the kama sutra. :oops:

Misty

LOL...I just bought a pack of those coupons also and having SERIOUS doubts of actually giving them to him for the same reason :out: