PDA

View Full Version : Ah yes and so she returns complaining

ilurffknit<3
02-13-2007, 08:19 AM
So sorry for my long absence. I am one of those 'saa' she's here 'saa' she's gone people. Meh. my life is left right up down over accross and sometimes potatoe y'know?

But yeah. Knitting. Meh. in a slump to the max. No new yarn in ages, had to resort to knitting up that disgusting abomination of a yarn Lion Brand Homespun. I want you all to heed my warning. You need ungodly amounts of patience to work with this yarn for more than five milleseconds. I mean it knits up FABULOUSLY. It makes a perfect scarf yarn in my opinion. But you know what? After 4 stitches, I want to shoot myself in the FREAKING FACE. :grrr: I HATE this yarn.

I want to go to JoAnn SO BAD. lol. Anyways, Hi all. I missed being able to knitting knerd-out with everyone :D :heart:

hellokitty165
02-13-2007, 09:07 AM
i totally SURRENDER to homespun !!!! they are terrible yarn ... good luck with yours and post a pic once you completed your project... ...i give up totally on that yarn and i really throw it in the garbage after 4 attempts !!!

thank god i only bought 2 skeins !

tab
02-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I'll make everyone a deal. Since I'm one of the four people on the planet who actually likes using the DISGUSTING HORRIBLE DEMON YARN known as Lion Brand Homespun, you can all mail yours to me. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Hmmm, I was looking at some of this yarn the other day and thought it looked pretty cool. What's wrong with it?

brendajos
02-13-2007, 11:39 AM
You might want to give it a try Mason. There are plenty of people who actually love it. I would guess that there are even lots of people here who are closeted home spun lovers because of all the loathing they see from people here.

Personally, I just can't stand the feel of it. There is something about it that just doesn't feel right to me. I don't know what it is though. I had bought a LOT of it when i first started knitting though because i was going to make a big fuzzy afghan out of it. then i realized i don't like knitting afghans and it got shoved into the stash. Not long ago I decided to pull it back out and try the afghan thing again. When i stuck my fingers into the skein to pull out the end it actually ripped out in my hands. It just shredded. And i still hated the feel of it. (it almost feels like some weird coating to me but i can't pinpoint it) Soooo I freecycled it to a very happy group that knits for hospice. :cheering: win win... it is out of my stash and it can comfort people who need it way more than I do! :cheering:

debb
02-13-2007, 12:30 PM
I bought some when I first started knitting (cause they do have some great colors) but found that it was bunching up more and more as I went along. It may have been me, but I finally just tossed it cause I had a knitted piece in one hand and a big gob of excess yarn working its way down the working yarn.

letah75
02-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I really like Homespun. I don't know why so many people have a problem with it. :shrug:

Jan in CA
02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
I love the colors and it's nice and soft, but I find it hard to knit with.

That aside, one of my biggest complaints about Homespun or ANY yarn like it (boucle, fancy fur, etc) is that you can't see see the stitches. I learned to knit because I like seeing all the pretty stitch detail. I enjoy knitting, but it's too much work to knit something up and then you can't see any pattern to it. If you are going to use one of these you might as well crochet.

NOW before you get all upset..there is nothing wrong with crochet. I crocheted for years. Crochet stitches are heavier and bulkier and and tend to look a lot alike. You can't do stockinette, seed or ribbing easily if at all. The stitches are also usually bigger which is why there are more crocheted afghans than knitted ones. Crochet is faster.

:oops: Sorry...back to your regularly scheduled knitting be it with a nice worsted or homespun...Knit with what you love no matter what anyone says. :teehee:

Tonid1980
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Im glad I only bought two skeins of this stuff after reading this thread. Ill still try it of course, but I can see how it would be difficult to use. I could always give it to my mom if I hate it :teehee: ...

I got three things of fun fur from the future mother in law for xmas.. HATE IT... so if this is similar in any way, I shall hate it too.

CarmenIbanez
02-13-2007, 03:03 PM
I like it too!

meearnol
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm actually knitting with homespun right now! I'm using it with some worsted weight so the stitches are pretty easy to catch, but I can see how it could be difficult if I chose only the homespun.

It looks pretty though!

ArtLady1981
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
HI MASON,

I also like the look, the feel, the colors, the price of 'HomeSpun'....HOWEVER....

I knit 'Homespun' sweaters for both my son and his wife...sizes 42 and 34...the sweaters "grew" to be sizes 58 and 48!! Get my drift??? My daughter-in-law resorted to wearing them both as bathrobes! BIG BATHROBES!

I knit two small-ish afghans...garter stitch for one...stocking stitch for the other. The afghans didn't "grow" because they don't hang on a human body....HOWEVER...they pilled like no tomorrow!!! So, after a few washings...they look pretty sad...not beautiful at all...but still serve the purpose...to keep my lap warm in the truck en route to Nighthawk Summit. (Hubby likes the truck cooler than I do.)

'Homespun' is very affordable...so I don't feel I wasted a lot of cash...BUT....my time is worth more to me than anything. I feel I wasted a lot of knitting time, especially in connection with the 'love sweaters' I made for my family. So sad that the sweaters are now a waste. My loving intentions are still appreciated...but heck...I wanted them to have these sweaters TO WEAR for crying out loud.

BEWARE with Homespun. I would never use it for a GIFT item ever again! :thud: I really got burned. "Once burned, shame on Homespun...twice burned: shame on me!" :grrr:

heykaren
02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
I brought some homespun back from the states this past summer - was just about to start a sweater with it. Have to admit, I got a bit nervous when I started reading this thread. But Im going to go into it with an open mind - and since Im a new knitter, I really haven`t had time to "refine" my taste in yarn yet. Wish me luck! Karen

ilurffknit<3
02-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Hey don't let me deter you. I did mention it knits up fabulously! I really like the way it looks once I've completed some rows, it's just a pain to do the actual knitting.

And also, in regards to Jan in CA's post, I agree entirely. I looove seeing the "braided" detail of my stocking stitches, and the squiggly detail of my garter stitches. And I chose to make the scarf I'm working the homespun with ribbed. I have to get REALLY close to see the stitch detail. Kinda stinks.

Homespun is good for scarves. It's soft, fuzzy, warm. It has it's good points. I just hate having to use it. It gets all MEH on my needles, sometimes it's hard to tell stitches apart. If I didn't know how to count. . . I'd prolly have KILLED the scarf I'm working.

But yeah. Don't let us deter, use homespun. It's okay. I just despise it with every fabric of my being :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 01:37 AM
But yeah. Don't let us deter, use homespun. It's okay. I just despise it with every fabric of my being :teehee:

There's a raving revue if I ever read one. :roflhard:

suzeeq
02-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Hmmm, I was looking at some of this yarn the other day and thought it looked pretty cool. What's wrong with it?

I used a couple skeins last year and it wasn't too bad, but ....

Because it's a real loose twisted yarn with a thread wrapped around that, you can get your needle tip into only the thread very easily. Or split through the middle of the yarn. Larger needles, 11s or bigger, preferably 13s/15s, work best with it than small sized ones. It could make a nice warm, soft throw or wrap though.

sue

ArtLady1981
02-14-2007, 03:36 AM
I remember now! I remember thinking the reason the Homespun GROWS after being worn as a sweater...is because, like a lady's hair that was put in rollers overnight to make it curly...and after a few hours of warmth and humidity...it goes straight. THAT is what Homespun is doing...the curliness of the yarn finally goes straight...I think the body's heat and moisture causes the curls to fall out!

humblestumble
02-14-2007, 06:35 AM
Wow, really? Man...there are all these yarns that people dislike because they are hard to knit with, but I really don't have a problem with them. I wonder why. I am knitting a scarf with homespun as we speak.

Ingrid
02-14-2007, 10:00 AM
My daughter picked out Homeshun for a sweater and I just couldn't finish it. It was lifeless. I bought a bunch of it, too, for the colors, but once I tried to knit with it. . pfffffft. My daughter, however, likes to crochet with it, so I gave it all to her. :shrug: Another win-win!

DonnaS
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM
I'll make everyone a deal. Since I'm one of the four people on the planet who actually likes using the DISGUSTING HORRIBLE DEMON YARN known as Lion Brand Homespun, you can all mail yours to me. :teehee:

I love it too.. not my favorite but it knits up so fabulously I'd definitely use it again. I think the key is not knitting really tight with it as it does tend to split... but once you learn to work within it's limits it's wondermous :heart:

madametj
02-14-2007, 07:08 PM
i noticed that when i comes to knitting, i can usually tolerated this other people don't preffer, such as plastic needles and acrylic yarn. I haven't tried Homespun though (which seems to be the MOST hated here :teehee: ), and i almost bought some last Hobby Lobby trip just to see what the fuss was about. I decided not to though. i kinda just thought, "Why inflict pain on myself?" :teehee:

ArtLady1981
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Don't get me wrong...I do love the look, feel and colors of Homespun...but, I just don't like how it performs in the long run.

It is a real disappointment for garments.

purlwise
02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Yuck, I hate working with Homespun! BUT, once I get used to knitting or crocheting with it, it starts to not be so bad. And yes it does make a nice fabric once you get finished with it. It would not be my first choice at all, but they do have some nice colors.

feministmama
02-14-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't like it cuz it splits SOOOOOOOOO much. And it feels like insulation next to my skin. just my .02 :doh:

ilurffknit<3
02-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Yeah I know. Four rows of knitting it isnt so bad, I figure out the limitations and how to work it, it's not that bad then. But jeeeeeeeeze it can be a pain due to splitting.

It makes a fabby scarf though. I forget where I filed my digital camera, but if I find it pictures will be posted. I love the feeling of the scarf on my face. And from a far point it's a little trendy looking. The scarf I'm making (not intentionally did it turn out this way) looks a lot like one I saw in American Eagle some time ago. Though the AE one had a cable running up the middle with some ribbing, it was probably like 60 stitches cast on while mine is only 36, and the AE scarf was prolly knit with US 15's, maybe only 11's but somewhere in there. I'm knitting with 9's cause my 10's are plastic (which I HATE), and my 11's are. . . I don't know where. My 15's are being used for a different scarf as well.

Which brings me to something slightly off-topic. . . Homespun said 11's would be the right kind of needles to use, but 9's arent really THAT far off, I didn't think it'd make that much of a difference. But I picked up some FABULOUS merino/cotten blend yesterday, and I want to make a scarf (it's all I can really make right now without any dpn's or circs) and the label listed needle size 10. What if I used my 15's though? I really like being able to see stitches, and I think it would be slightly manlier (though I'm not entirely sure). Would it be bad to do that? Would it like. . . I dunno. . .be all weird when I was knitting? I can't explain what I'm worried about really. :doh: