PDA

View Full Version : irrational fear?

Ronda
02-13-2007, 10:50 AM
When I need to weave in ends, I have to fight myself NOT to make knots. I know this is a huge no-no and I understand why. The problem is that for the life of me I just cannot make myself believe that my project will NOT unravel if all I do is weave in the ends. I hate changing colors or even adding a new ball of yarn (of the same color) for this very reason. I'm not sure how to conquer my fear...any suggestions?

HamaLee
02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
I have the same fear!
I haven't quite conquered yet so I don't have a solution...but what I've done over time is just *force* myself to believe. I started out weaving in ridiculously long tails AND knotting them...then I stopped knotting...and as I get more comfortable, or as I use things without having them unravel, I convince myself to use a progressively shorter tail and weave it into fewer stitches. Hehehe, it's just progressive behavior modification really. I'm still not really comfortable with it! :teehee:

Lieke
02-13-2007, 11:14 AM
just ask yourself:

how many people are using this method. (a lot)
have you ever heard any of them complaining about having their handknitted things unravel (I haven't)
depending on this figures, how big is the chance my handknitted whatever will unravel (I think it's close to zero)

just don't be afraid, you'll see things will work out. and if it unravels, what's the worst that could happen? you'll have to reknit it, but you like knitting, so that wouldn't be so bad after all.

Old Knitter
02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Practice makes brave knitters.....

Try knitting a stockinette swatch....4 x 4 and cast off leaving both ends long.

Weave one end in the purl side and one end in the knit side.

If you study the pattern of your stitches you can see that you can follow the path of each stitch when you weave.
If you weave this way it really will hold.

SandraEllen
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
plus if you practice on a swatch, you can tug on the stitches and see if it will come undone.

I ALWAYS warn non-knitters when i give them things that if they see loose yarns poking out on the public side to just poke them through to the back and NOT CUT THEM OFF. I can just see people trimming those yarns shorter and shorter and making everything come undone.

syndactylus
02-13-2007, 11:44 AM
why no knots?

I read some book on traditional knitting, and they used to knot. the person that wrote the book (maybe rae compton?) said if you want to knot, go ahead and knot.

I love felting though. it's very exciting for me to have no ends at all. (except for the real ones.)

Ronda
02-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Ahhhh - voices of reason. Thanks for the encouragement! :muah:

iza
02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm just like you Ronda! I must admit I knot :oops: I'm glad there's actually a "school of thought" that says it's ok... I absolutely hate weaving in ends, too. I really hate it. :shrug: Maybe it's because I don't really know if I'm doing it right...

SandraEllen
02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
you shouldn't knot because it leaves "sharp" spots on the inside of a garment and they're not very comfortable.

I made a pair of socks once and tested it out. put knots in one sock, wove in the ends of the other. I could definitely tell the difference.

For things that you're not going to wear, i don't see a reason why you can't knot...

kellyh57
02-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, I have an afghan from my SIL that she crocheted. It has some holes where it's come undone. I just knot them when I find both ends. I'm guessing it's where she changed skeins or something, but that made me scared to death of weaving in ends. I now weave in an extra long amount, pull it to stretch and cut it even longer in case I do want to weave it in further. I usually do stuff that has no "wrong" side so I can't put a knot on it and have it look good.

Kelly

KathyinCali
02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
I love working with wool for this reason-felting! I do the big no no also and knot. Maybe one day I'll be confident enough to just weave.

Hi, my name is Kathy and I'm a knotter :oops:

Jan in CA
02-13-2007, 01:17 PM
The only thing I've found that doesn't hold well is cotton, but I still don't knot it usually. If you feel the fabric where the knot is it creates a little hard spot. It may not be a big deal on a purse or some types of things, but for a hat, sweater, socks..you wouldn't want to feel that.

Weaving in the ends (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/FEATfall04TT.html)

Ronda
02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the link, Jan.

redwitch
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Try weaving in duplicate stitch, also in different directions (e.g. a bit left to right, then down a row or two, then weave left to right, then same again). Also stretch the knitting just a bit after each 2 or 3 stitches so the weaving will be the right tension.If you are still worried, how about getting a sharp small sewing needle and matching thread, and sewing the end to the inside of the knitting by hand?
Sarah

dustinac
02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
It used to be hard for me.... I still will on some cotton things.. and I find that I do on baby afghans for some reason.. I will weave and then still knot before I cut the ends... :shrug:

mwedzi
02-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Oh, you mean I'm not supposed to cut those ends off when they come aloose? Oops.

Has anyone tried Fray Check? I've never used it at all but wonder if it would help. The author of the crocheted hat book I have recommends it.

humblestumble
02-14-2007, 02:29 AM
I never even thought of knotting, but I was shocked about it before about only using three stitches of tail to weave in, so I wove in 6 stitches or so to be safe. Well, now I know that that's just too much trouble to weave in, and nothing has come undone in the washer or dryer, so I just use about the normal amount of about 3-4 stitches (or more if the yarn is chunkier.)

Cristy
02-14-2007, 02:44 AM
I knit in the tail for a few stitches and have never had anything come undone!

Yarnlady
02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
I generally tie a square knot. I've never made anything for the Princess of the Princess and the Pea fame, so I doubt anyone could feel the knots. I also double back on my weaving making sure to pierce the yarn I just wove in on the return trip. This bit of insurance keeps me from worrying about loose ends. I wash items before giving, so figure if washing doesn't loosen any woven ends, nothing will.

suzeeq
02-14-2007, 10:21 AM
you shouldn't knot because it leaves "sharp" spots on the inside of a garment and they're not very comfortable.

I made a pair of socks once and tested it out. put knots in one sock, wove in the ends of the other. I could definitely tell the difference.

Huh? Maybe on socks, but don't you use only one skein per sock....? I've always knotted because knitting with the two ends together for a few stitches makes thick, lumpy stitches where they're joined.

sue

feminine_earth
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Oh, you mean I'm not supposed to cut those ends off when they come aloose? Oops.

Has anyone tried Fray Check? I've never used it at all but wonder if it would help. The author of the crocheted hat book I have recommends it.
I use Fray Check on acrylics. I usually cover the very end of the loose yarn, and the surrounding stitch. It makes it hard, kinda plastic-y, but it works.

I haven't found that I need to use it on wools. Wool seems to stick to itself, so no loose ends. :)