PDA

View Full Version : My Options Arrived!

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 01:38 PM
UPS delivered my Options just a little while ago. These things are great! They're what I envisioned a circular needle should be, unlike that really stiff cabled Boye.

I knitted a quick swatch just to try them out, and while it'll take a little time to get used to such slick needles I love the fact that the yarn glides over them with no problem at all.

The only thing in the kit I am unsure about are the end caps. Am I assuming correctly that they are used to cap the ends of a cable when removing the needles in order to prevent the work from sliding off?

I love these things and imagine that I am really going to enjoy using them.

Jan in CA
02-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes, I do believe that is what the end caps are for. I have used them that way with my Denise set, but not the Options yet. I'm not sure how they are attached though. :??

I love my "sample" Options that I bought. When they get more sizes (like a 16 in cord) I will buy them, too.

letah75
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Lucky, I'm still waiting for mine.

:wall:

PaperGirl
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Where did you get those? I have some Boye circs...and they just feel weird to me...

snowbear
02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
That's great.. now you can have your new needles on your next route!

Jan in CA
02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I was just thinking... OT sorta.. I hope the delivery guy won't leave your new bag sitting on the front porch while you are gone! :doh:

zkimom
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
The only thing in the kit I am unsure about are the end caps. Am I assuming correctly that they are used to cap the ends of a cable when removing the needles in order to prevent the work from sliding off?

Yipppee, Mason!

I just went out and bought a set of Denise's from my LYS. The lady there said you could put the endcaps on the needles and then use them like straights.

I don't know if I ever would use them like that but it sounded cool.

Enjoy your needles!

Susan

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Where did you get those? I have some Boye circs...and they just feel weird to me...

Ordered them from knitpicks.com

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I was just thinking... OT sorta.. I hope the delivery guy won't leave your new bag sitting on the front porch while you are gone! :doh:

Nah, whenever I order anything I always have it delivered to my Mom's address just in case I'm not here. All my mail goes there too, for the same reason.

HamaLee
02-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Hooray Mason!
Even with the wonky needle tip I had to replace, I LOVE my Options! I hope you enjoy them.

And yes the caps are for exactly that...making sure work doesn't slide off the cable. That way you can transfer the needles tips to a new project if you need to and switch back and forth. Also if you're knitting garments you can pop the tips off, screw on the caps, and then try things on without losing any stitches. (Just did this last night with my Picovoli!)

Compulsive
02-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Yes, I do believe that is what the end caps are for. I have used them that way with my Denise set, but not the Options yet. I'm not sure how they are attached though. :??

You screw them on to the ends of the cables just like you do with the needle tips. I love my Options set.

brendajos
02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
The options endcaps screw on just like the needles do. And yes, you could put the caps on and use them like flexible straight needles but i can't ever see a real need for that. you can knit on circular needles like straights without the caps.

i rarely use my caps but they are nice if you want to change projects and need the needles.

I know someone had said there wasn't a big difference between the Boye needles and the Options. I think there is a HUGE difference. The paint makes a big difference in keeping the work from sliding toooo much. But that is why i like the Options. they slide so nice and easy! :thumbsup:

knitting4babybear
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
I SO did not need to read this thread. :D The idea of having needles that are slick, AND sharp, AND that you don't have to transfer to a stitch holder if you need the tips is making me swoon.

Thanks for the review, Knitting Guy. :)

knitting4babybear
02-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I SO did not need to read this thread. :D The idea of having needles that are slick, AND sharp, AND that you don't have to transfer to a stitch holder if you need the tips is making me swoon.

Thanks for the review, Knitting Guy. :)

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 03:27 PM
I just knit my scarf over to the Options and knit a few rows. Wow, so much nicer than the painted metal straights. I was able to knit so much faster with the Options. I'm already hooked.

SandraEllen
02-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Thtat's how i felt the first time I knit with mine too...

SabrinaJL
02-13-2007, 03:36 PM
You might wanna go through and test things. I ended up with 3 cables that had to be replaced. Two because the metal part came off and one because the key thingie wouldn't fit in the hole. Also, one of my needles had to be replaced. It wouldn't lock. It just kept turning.

Despite that, I LOVE my Options. The sharp tip took a little getting used to because I push on the tip with my finger, but I really like it because it seems to split the yarn less.

ArtLady1981
02-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Mason,

I use the end caps to: reserve stitches on the shortest Options cable, making it a longer length 'stitch holder' than the other types of short 4" stitch holders.

I use the end caps for various tasks, eg. knitting with sz 8's, each screwed onto their own 24" cable...with an end cap at each end.

I purchased 4 additional 24" cables, that come in a pack of 2. Very inexpensive. I find it most useful to have 6 of the 24" cables.

I also purchased extra 'pages' for my Options binder, which I just love!
Don't you think the Options binder is just HANDSOME looking!!??

I also purchased extra needle tips for my most commonly used sizes. Very inexpensive.

WHERE WAS KINITPICKS OPTIONS 5 years ago when I started investing in every size of ADDI in every length???? :pout: Man o man...KPO's are such a DEAL!!!!!

I am still toying with the idea of ordering the KIP knitting bag set! I love the fabric. Very handsome.

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah I'm already looking at ordering some additional cables and tips as well as organizer pages.

I am in the process of inspecting and test everything now. So far, one of the 32" cables seems to have slightly buggered threads but is usable. It threads a little tightly but maybe it'll loosen with use. No other flaws so far.

And yes, the organizer binder is very nice.

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Ok, everything inspected and tested. With the exception of the minor threading problem on the one cable they're perfect. The threads on the one cable must have had a slight burr which was smoothed off by threading all of the needles on and off of it because it's threading perfectly now.

I am quite impressed with the engineering and machining of the Options. Very high quality product.

aylaanne
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Great. Just great. I ordered size 6 tips and a 24" cable to do my Charlotte's Web Shawl (http://www.kyarns.com/koigu-painters-palette-premium-merino-charlottes-web-shawl.html) with, and if it works like you say it does, I'm going to have to buy a whole damn set. I like my boye needlemaster set because the tips are so pointy, but the join is kind of a pain. And with the mortgage for the new house looming on the horizon, I really don't need to be spending any more money on knitting toys. :roflhard:
Anyways, thanks for the review. Be sure to post pictures!

newwooley
02-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Mason,

I'm glad you received your order and that your pleased with them. Thanks for reviewing them. I am wrestling with ordering a set myself and it doesn't help that they have those cute sheep doormats on clearance either!

Enjoy! Helen

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
They're definitely worth the money. I am now thinking of ordering their DPNs as well.

DianaM
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm currently trying to find a better job. If I find one, I think I'll give the Options a try.

dustinac
02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
:cheering: So glad you got them.. I love them.. and their DPNs are wonderful too... I'm slowly buying them all... :teehee:

aineepooh1
02-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Mason~ I am glad you like your set~!! Be careful out there in this crazy cold, freezy, icy weather~ You are supposed to leave tomorrow right??
Be careful~!! Be careful so mom doesn't "steal" your big orange bag? :eyebrow:

Knitting_Guy
02-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Mason~ I am glad you like your set~!! Be careful out there in this crazy cold, freezy, icy weather~ You are supposed to leave tomorrow right??
Be careful~!! Be careful so mom doesn't "steal" your big orange bag? :eyebrow:

Well, now I don't know if I am leaving out tomorrow or not. There were some problems with the load I was supposed to pick up so now I'm on hold waiting to hear about another one.

Not worried about Mom stealing my orange bag, I ordered her one too. :rofl:

newamy
02-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Yep, I like the Options too. Slick, fast, smooth, and I hardly notice the sharpness any more. It's also really nice to have a set of needles so one isn't always having to shop for needles.

I use bamboo double points- I think I'd loose all my stitches if I tried knit picks double points so sometimes I have to buy different sizes in those.

Happy Knitting.

8)

redwitch
02-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Mason, if you want DPNs because you prefer them, no comment, but if you want them for knitting in the round/haven't tried other methods, remember that with an Option set you can make long cords for Magic Loop, or do 2 circs... you can put the gauge tips on the right point of both circs, and the left tip can be different as they are just being knitted off, not actually forming the stitches. In fact, using a smaller left tip may be very helpful when purling 4 together...
Sarah

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Mason, if you want DPNs because you prefer them, no comment, but if you want them for knitting in the round/haven't tried other methods, remember that with an Option set you can make long cords for Magic Loop, or do 2 circs... you can put the gauge tips on the right point of both circs, and the left tip can be different as they are just being knitted off, not actually forming the stitches. In fact, using a smaller left tip may be very helpful when purling 4 together...
Sarah

:shrug:

I understood about 10% of what you just said. :??

I plan to do a lot of knitting in the round with the Options, but I so far have enjoyed using the DPNs too and can imagine some projects where they might actually be better. But then, I'm a new knitter and don't actually have the slightest idea what I'm doing or talking about. :rofl:

brendajos
02-14-2007, 02:29 AM
you can go here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/) to see the other small diameter knitting options that she is talking about. i almost never knit in the round with DPNs...not because i can't but because i far prefer knitting with two circs. plus as i am carrying my work around in my bag i don't have to worry as much about losing my needles at the bottom.

ArtLady1981
02-14-2007, 03:29 AM
For circular knitting in the tight areas...too few stitches for one circ to work: I have been using 5 short bamboo dpn's. I found some with a very slick, smooth finish. I really love them. The metal dpn's are just too slick and slippery to manage. It is a fight all the way.

BUT...I will try the magic loop method next time...and also the two circs method, as shown on Amy's video! Thanks for the link Brendajos!

nadja la claire
02-14-2007, 08:22 AM
:woot: :cheering: :woot: :cheering: :woot: :cheering: CONGRATS, Mason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: my Options. Although I have had a chipping problem with my #8s, they are still amazing needles and KP's customer service is the best. I hope they add 16" cables soon.

Enjoy your wonderful new needles!!!!!!!

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Brendajos; Thanks.

I plan on trying magic loop for my next socks.

mwedzi
02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
One of my cables is coming out of its fixture. :( At this point it can pop in and out like a mm or so, but it's kinda annoying cuz it's screwing with the smooth join.

I love the Options, though. I can't do the dpns. Too slippery for me.

brownishcoat
02-14-2007, 11:15 AM
One of my cables is coming out of its fixture. :( At this point it can pop in and out like a mm or so, but it's kinda annoying cuz it's screwing with the smooth join.

I had that problem with one of my 40" cables. I sent an email to Knitpicks customer service with my order number and they replied back immediately saying they were sending out a new set.

I had it replaced in about 3 days, I think. They didn't even ask me to return the defective set, so now I have 3 good cords, plus the one I glued back together. I :heart: Knitpicks customer service.