PDA

View Full Version : Do you always knit with a recipient in mind?

Rennagayle
02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
How do most of you plan your projects, or do you plan them?

Though I do knit specific items as intended gifts for specific people, I find most of the time I just start looking at patterns to get ideas of what to knit next by what strikes my fancy. :thinking:

AmandaC
02-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Yes .... ME :teehee: :teehee:

Quiltlady
02-13-2007, 07:39 PM
I knit both ways. Sometimes I do have a person in mind and other times I don't. Whatever keeps me knitting is fine with me. lol :happydance:

Cristy
02-13-2007, 07:41 PM
I always knit with someone in mind and it's rarely me...:(

syndactylus
02-13-2007, 08:12 PM
so far I have.
but sometimes it changes in the middle of the project...
and sometimes it just doesn't happen. those are usually the ones for me.
I am trying to knit myself a sweater now, but of course it's really thwarting me this time.

brendajos
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
almost never...though lately i guess i have more. i really just knit because i like the process and like seeing the pattern take shape. once it is done and someone tells me they want "it" (whatever it is) it usually is theirs. I think i GENERALLY pretend it is going to be mine until it is finished...then i lose interest...lol

Jan in CA
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Not usually since I mostly knit for charity. :shrug: :teehee:

CateKnits
02-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes .... ME :teehee: :teehee:
This is how I knit probably 85% of the time! :teehee:

bip
02-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I always have someone in mind when I start, but it usually changes a few times while I'm knitting. I have to be careful not to tell someone I'm working on something for them 'cause then I'm locked in!

dustinac
02-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Yep and usually its a gift for someone, dh, or the kids... I don't usually get to keep my FO... or when I do if someone mentions it to me then I end up with it... I am working on a pair of socks that I *plan* to keep for myself... :teehee:

madametj
02-13-2007, 08:51 PM
I knit both ways. Sometimes I do have a person in mind and other times I don't. Whatever keeps me knitting is fine with me. lol :happydance:

same here :shrug:

hunterjenn
02-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Usually I do, yes, which keeps me motivated to finish. If I'm making something just for me, or for no one in particular, it always gets tossed aside.

zkimom
02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Sometimes I have a specific person in mind but most times it comes to me as I"m knitting. Like the felted bag I made that had no owner and then I got invited to a friend's birthday party and I knew the bag was for her.

Often I knit for myself or my dd. My ds won't wear sweaters but I am making him a pair of socks that he can't wait to wear.

Best,
Susan

RachelJean
02-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Most of the time, my FO's go to me.... :teehee: However, lately I've really gotten hooked on lace knitting even though I'm not a lacy kind of girl. I'm currently knitting a shawl, and I have no idea who it's for. I'm just knitting it because the yarn is pretty and I like the pattern. I guess when it's done, I'll figure out who to give it to. :??

mwedzi
02-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Yep, me. Every time I knit for someone else, it's not as much fun.

Lieke
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I usually knit for myself. When I knit for someone else, I always know who's going to get the knitted item.

Birdy
02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
So far I've knit only two projects for myself and didn't like either.

Another project was for me, but because of my error, it ended up fitting my mother instead. (I'm 6 ft tall, she's 5' 3" tall)

Other wise, always with a purpose/person in mind. But... that is going to change. I have decided that I want to control my knitting!

brownishcoat
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Most things I knit are gifts, and sometimes the gifts change recipients in the middle, then I plan a new gift for the original recipient! :D

The ones I'm working on now are too late for Christmas, so I'm going to tell them: "My mom said I had to use up some of this yarn before I could buy any more."

KathyinCali
02-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm doing both this year. Last year I knit only for Christmas gifts. Scarves, scarves, scarves. This year I've finished 2 Ruanas for myself and I'm just starting to get the hang of socks so I think I'll be knitting those for gifts this year.

aineepooh1
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Most times I just start knitting.. right now I am making boocoos of hats~! everytime I make one someone else saw that I made one for person A and now person B wants a hat~!! :wall: SOOOoo I just knit most times..
When I first started (last year :eyebrow: ) I made scarves for people that I wanted to give something to~ Now I just knit~!

purlwise
02-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Most the time I knit for someone else or for charity, sometimes if I'm testing a yarn or trying a stitch I will knit a hat and throw it in my gift pile. Then I have a nice gift if I need it, or in the winter I take all my samples and give them to a homeless shelter. I rarely knit for myself, I'm a plus-size gal, and I have rarely seen any patterns that are flattering, they don't even look flattering to me on the models! And if I do decide to try a sweater, it takes FOREVER because of the large size and I lose interest. LOL, I like to knit for small people!

Sooo, I knit for others, and I knit just because I love to knit and crochet, and it keeps me busy while watching tv, I hate to just sit and do nothing with my hands! I'm a huge multi-tasker and satisfies a need to move!

mari_13
02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I mainly knit with someone in mind. If I make something that doesn't fit, I save it for someone who might want it - usually for a baby. I always underestimate my son's size!

But right now, I'm focusing on myself and son to knit for.

Mari