PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of rounds?

zkimom
02-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Hello lovelies and Happy Valentine's Day! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I'm making a Noni Adventure Bag with my Cascade 220 in a lovely dark purply tweed which is fullfiling 2 criteria -- helping me de-stash and also have a February KAL project! I'm using my new Denise's for the first time and loving them :heart:

But I digress . . .

The pattern requires me to keep track of the number of rounds. (Annoying, aint it? Why on earth it isn't written out in measurements is beyond me but it isn't:shrug:)

If I was knitting on straights, I'd pop my handy counter on one needle and knit away.

Can't use the counter on circs so usually what I do is have a piece of scrap paper handy and make my hatch marks til I'm done.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Just wondering . . .

Best,
Susan -- whose kids are home cause Connecticut schools are closed for the ice store. We were hoping for snow but oh, well!

brendajos
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
well i have done a few different things. I bought a bunch of these once and use them as the end of round marker. Just change the number when you slip it, ya know.

i have also put those one stitch in when knitting flat so i have something to hold it on. That way when i come to it, i just tick the count up two ticks.

most of the time, though, I just count the Vs.

suzeeq
02-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I've never used a row counter, I count the purl side bumps to figure how many rounds I've done.

bip
02-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I keep the counter on a piece of yarn around my neck, which works especially well for my "mobile" projects (those that I work on both at home and in public). For projects that are too complicated and I only work on at home, I have a click counter that I keep beside me.

Back to the piece of yarn around my neck, I also have a tiny pair of scissors on the string - I do no like searching for things! I have another with a knitting medallion on it in addition to the counter, but watch out! I cut a chunk of my hair about 2 months ago and it now stands straight up like Alfalfa.

Vendie
02-14-2007, 11:16 AM
If they provided a row gauge, you should be able to figure out how many inches those specific row counts add up to and then measure your work against it. Even if I have row or round counters, I always manage to lose count and be off.

You could also use a row marker (looks like a little earing) too, and just count the rows above it until reach the desired number.

brownishcoat
02-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I use a copy of the pattern and a pencil to keep track, and I count the rows (the Vs), too, just in case I forgot to mark down a row.

I make the marks for each section next to the instructions for that section, so I only ever have to look at the pattern; it helps me see what part of the instructions I'm working on also.

Finally, I use a pencil in case I decide to frog it and start over. If it's an item to be duplicated, like socks or gloves, I either erase the marks from the previous one, or I insert a bullet () between the 2 sets of marks. I also carry an extra click eraser, in case something happens to the one on the mechanical pencil.

SandraEllen
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
i use the clip on stitch markers (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82328&PRODID=47144) that i got from Joann. I just make sure I know which row i clipped it in and then count the knit Vs from there.

JoeE
02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Knitting In Plain English had a clever idea. She strings her stitch counter that she uses with straight needles to a stitch marker with a piece of yarn and places the marker at the beginning of each round. I haven't ever tried it, but sounded like a good idea to me.

mrs desert rain
02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
sometimes i use a row counter, but i usually just count the v's. on the soaker i'm knitting now, i'm using a paperclip. :teehee: couldn't find my other doo-dads.

brendajos
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
sometimes i use a row counter, but i usually just count the v's. on the soaker i'm knitting now, i'm using a paperclip. :teehee: couldn't find my other doo-dads.

If i run into that problem then i knit a piece of scrap yarn into the row and just cut it out when i need to move it or when i am done.

Usually i use the same ones that SandraEllen does though.

cookworm
02-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I use a katcha katcha (http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82328&PRODID=11837&source=search). Although it's not very time effecient to have to stop each time I finish a row to click it, but chances are, if it's an involved enough project, I'm stopping after knitting each row to count stitches anyway, so the little pause it takes to click the counter isn't much of an intrusion. If you get it at Joann's, you can use your 40% coupon which makes it really affordable, too. :thumbsup:

auburnchick
02-14-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm curious why you can't use the counter for circular knitting? :??

I always use my counter (or "clicker" as my kids call it). It doesn't matter which way I'm knitting (round, straight). I always place a marker after my last stitch so I know where the round begins.

brendajos
02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
i would guess it is one of those barrel style ones that would fall off if you weren't working with it.

Jan in CA
02-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I prefer to use a pencil and paper. I write down the numbers 1 through whatever and mark off each row. I also count the stitches.

newwooley
02-14-2007, 04:02 PM
This may seem like a silly :?? question but I'm knitting a bag in the round, and I've noticed that one row kind of flows into the next. Since I'm a crocheter long before learning to knit, am I doing something wrong or is this just "the way it is?"

Thanks for any and all comments!
Helen

brendajos
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
well i THINK that what you are asking about would be answered in that you aren't actually knitting in the round but in a spiral. That is the reason why, if you are changing colors, you have to be careful about how you do it so there isn't an obvious 'jog' (you can google "jogless jog" for tips on avoiding this)

zkimom
02-14-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm curious why you can't use the counter for circular knitting? :??

I always use my counter (or "clicker" as my kids call it). It doesn't matter which way I'm knitting (round, straight). I always place a marker after my last stitch so I know where the round begins.

I tried that but my counter is too small to fit on my size 11 needle :pout: I was just looking for a no brainer way of counting the rows without having to put my knitting down, make my mark on my paper and pick up my knitting again.

I really need to mark every row or I forget mid row what number I'm up to. :oops:

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Susan

Markette
02-14-2007, 06:10 PM
On the hat I'm knitting now, I'm using a combined hatch mark/row marker system. I put a locking stitch marker on the first stitch of a new row and go round and round until I'm ready to put it down, and then count the rows starting from the stitch marker, make my hatch marks, and move the stitch marker. It gives me some freedom from the pencil and paper, but I don't ever have to count more than a few rows.

redwitch
02-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I often put hatch marks on my arm or ankle with a pen, make sure you write this on the pattern later or you'll lose the information as it wears off in a day or two, showers etc. You can get row counters that hang from a little plastic loop like a stitch marker, or you could tie a piece of wool through the counter and tie it to a safety pin, or put it onto the needles at start of round and turn it every time you slip.
Sarah

newwooley
02-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Brendajos, thanks for the insight. I gather that knitting in the round is actually spiral knitting.

Helen

Yarnlady
02-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I use a row counter kinda like this one http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-make-my-own-row-counters_28.html only made with split rings. I put it at the beginning of the round and go down one loop when I hit that spot. :teehee:

To use the barrel type, I put it on a loop of yarn and put it at the beginning of the round. Each time I get to it, turn it..... :happydance:

Helen, as a knitter we don't close up the rounds like we do in crochet. Except I quit doing it in crochet, too, and knit in a spiral as I hate that "seam" that joining and chaing creates. :doh:

newwooley
02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you LizzieK8!! :sun: