PDA

View Full Version : Magic Loop Is Great

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I've started my second sock but this time I'm doing it on my new Options using the magic loop method. I really like this technique. It's so much faster and easier than using 4 DPNs.

I can see this sock going much faster using this technique.

Jan in CA
02-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I started using magic loop before I learned DPNs and it does work very well! It actually helped me work with DPNs when I finally got brave enough to try.

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 02:36 PM
I started using magic loop before I learned DPNs and it does work very well! It actually helped me work with DPNs when I finally got brave enough to try.

I guess I'm just bass-ackwards. :rofl:

Friskums
02-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I've never used DPNs. :teehee: :shrug:

LoAnnie
02-14-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know why, but I can't get the hang of magic loop. I'm a wiz on DPNs though. My first FO was on DPNs.

LoAnnie

auburnchick
02-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Are there instructions somewhere for making socks using magic loop?

MamaMer
02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
What is magic loop?

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Are there instructions somewhere for making socks using magic loop?

Amy has a video here about how to use magic loop. I'm simply adapting Silver's Sock Class to that technique. When I get to doing the heel flap I plan to simply slip the other stitches off to DPNs and cap them to keep the stitches in place while I work the heel flap. Shouldn't be too difficult.

auburnchick
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
:doh:

Asked before checking...

Thanks!

brownishcoat
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
I tried Magic Loop first, like Jan. I like DPNs, but I'll stick with ML because I find that easier and I prefer to use my Options for everything. I have too many DPN sets to justify getting the KP ones. :pout:

MamaMer
02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I can't find the magic loop video :??

suzeeq
02-14-2007, 03:55 PM
On the Advanced Techniques (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/index.php) page, third one down under Small Diameter Circular knitting.

sue

MamaMer
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Duh! Thanks I looked at that page like 3 times too!! :doh:

DragonsChest
02-14-2007, 04:40 PM
I'd like to try my next pair of socks on ML, but I really like dpns. Does everyone really love the ML that much?? Should I take the plunge? And if I do plunge, how long should I have the cable be?

:shrug:

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 04:48 PM
I'd like to try my next pair of socks on ML, but I really like dpns. Does everyone really love the ML that much?? Should I take the plunge? And if I do plunge, how long should I have the cable be?

So far ML sure seems a lot easier and faster to me. For this sock I'm just using the size 6 Option needles and the 32" cable.

DragonsChest
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Mason. You may have inspired me to give it a go. :cheering:

Friskums
02-14-2007, 04:54 PM

There's no harm in trying a new technique or needle. But, if you're happy with what you are doing now, then there's no reason to change either.

Silver
02-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I'll be making new sock tutorials soon. I'll do a ML tute, 2 circs tute, and more. I know I have to update.... 4 DPNs is soooo 2006. :doh:

brownishcoat
02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
When I get to doing the heel flap I plan to simply slip the other stitches off to DPNs and cap them to keep the stitches in place while I work the heel flap.

If you have the "top of foot" stitches on one half of the needle, and the "bottom of foot" stitches on the other side of the loop, you won't need to do anything with the "top" stitches. You can just leave them on that part of the cable and work the heel back and forth on the "bottom" part.

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I'll be making new sock tutorials soon. I'll do a ML tute, 2 circs tute, and more. I know I have to update.... 4 DPNs is soooo 2006. :doh:

I look forward to seeing them.

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Lisa;

I considered doing it that way and may end up doing it that way. I'll decide for sure when I get that far, but it seems to me it would make it easier to just slip them off until I need them again.

Maybe not. I really have no idea what I'm talking about anyway. :rofl:

nuknitter
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I'd love to try ML knitting hats, but I have only the standard Denise set, not the long 32"+ cables. Anyone tried it connecting 2 shorter cables tog, and how'd it work pulling the connector part thru??

BTW, dark chocolate's good for you (in moderation, unfortunately ;) ), so enjoy today for St. V.'s!!

iza
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
I've been wanting to try ML or 2circs for a while but I don't have the right circulars and I'm too tight on money to buy some right now. dpns are really easy for me but I would still want to try, because I would like to knit two socks at a time. :pout: :pout: :pout: It's getting harder and harder to resist with all these posts and comments about it :teehee: Just a few months... just a few months... :wall:

DragonsChest
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM

And the crowd goes wild!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

DreamWeaver
02-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Okay, you all have conviced me. To magic loop we go!

Hey, does anyone know if you can convert a project that's already on DPN's to magic loop? I might be a able to knit my dad's socks faster if I'm doing ML... better than starting a whole new pair of socks...

Knitting_Guy
02-14-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't see why you couldn't just transfer the stitches over to the circ and go from there.

DreamWeaver
02-14-2007, 10:19 PM
awsomeness :thumbsup:

madametj
02-14-2007, 11:17 PM

:woot: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :woot:

mks22300
02-15-2007, 12:47 AM

Yay! That's awesome!!! :cheering: :cheering:
Just out of curiosity Silver, how long does it take you to make tutorials?

ChristinaKnits
02-15-2007, 01:50 AM
I LOVE ML!!! I tried DPN's and they were okay, I didn't hate it, but I definitely had ladders at the needle joins, with ML I have a nice tight join...and it's so easy once ya learn it...I'll never go back and it'a awesome on the Options!!! :cheering:

ChristinaKnits
02-15-2007, 01:56 AM
oops...I wanted to show a pic of the slipper socks I'm making for my sis-in-law using ML...I know, it's cheating lol...but she ASKED for these!LOL

Jan in CA
02-15-2007, 03:17 AM
It's cheating? I don't think so..just another way to get to the same point. :teehee:

Compulsive
02-15-2007, 03:38 AM
ML knitting all the way. I tried using DPNS and posted my adventures about keeping eyeballs intact and unharmed. :shock: Some KNice knitters saved my eyes by leading me to Amy's ML videos. Also, I'm no longer shooting 6 inch missles at the children. :teehee:

And once Silver completes that ML sock knitting video, I'll attempt my first pair of socks. :woot:

DragonsChest
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
And once Silver completes that ML sock knitting video, I'll attempt my first pair of socks. :woot:

*taps foot* Ahem -- Silver, your adoring fans are waiting. Hurry up, but no pressure. LOL

:flirt:

DragonsChest
02-15-2007, 10:23 AM
oops...I wanted to show a pic of the slipper socks I'm making for my sis-in-law using ML...I know, it's cheating lol...but she ASKED for these!LOL

I love the colors and design!!! Does it "knit itself in", or are you doing that? Wonderful indeed.

msoebel
02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
I used ML to do my "le slouchy" hat (because dpns scare me so much, I don't even OWN any). I used the cheap set of circs I got at the grocery store...so the cable was kinda short and not flexible. But my hat turned out great (as well as an ugly hat can)...no ladders, and I, the novice knitter, was able to figure out ML REALLY fast. It is sooo easy.

Misty

auburnchick
02-15-2007, 12:42 PM
You know, I feel like I need to defend dpns. I actually don't mind them. I do wish I could completely do away with the ladders (and I know the tricks to doing this).

However, I think that for my next pair of socks, I will try ML. I would love to make them quicker (do you make 2 socks at a time using ML???). However, I'm glad that I've learned to use the dpns.

JMHO...

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
No need to defend DPNs. I really enjoy using them. I am just out to learn as many techniques as possible as it seems to me they all have advantages and disadvantages.

From my reading, in order to do two socks at once on circs you'd need to use the two circs technique.

brownishcoat
02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
No, you can use Magic Loop for 2 socks:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/199723867_613fa472ba.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/199723841_1f36a383c4.jpg

Here's the rest of the photos (including finished socks): Mom's socks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brownishcoat/tags/momssocks/)

auburnchick
02-15-2007, 12:48 PM
So do you basically copy each round (if you call it that with ML) twice?

brownishcoat
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Essentially yes, but it's in a slightly different order:

Top of Sock A
Top of Sock B
Bottom of Sock B
Bottom of Sock A.

syndactylus
02-15-2007, 12:56 PM

dpns are much much faster for me.
but it took me a while to figure them out, so maybe that's what my problem with the ML was too.
just seemed like a lot more pushing things around than knitting, and it kept distorting my stitches.
it was very useful for not having to buy a set of size 8 dpns when I wanted to start right away on something, though.

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I stand corrected. Learn something new every day.

syndactylus
02-15-2007, 02:32 PM
um?
I didn't mean to correct you - from your pictures, you're a better knitter than I am... I was just saying... sorry. :pout:

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
um?
I didn't mean to correct you - from your pictures, you're a better knitter than I am... I was just saying... sorry. :pout:

:rofl:

Not you. I'm sure everyone has their own preferences with regard to techniques and tools. That's kinda what makes all of this so much fun.

I was referring to my mistaken answer regarding doing two socks at once on ML.

syndactylus
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
oh, ok!

Andrea
02-15-2007, 08:25 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
02-16-2007, 11:33 PM
When I get to doing the heel flap I plan to simply slip the other stitches off to DPNs and cap them to keep the stitches in place while I work the heel flap.

If you have the "top of foot" stitches on one half of the needle, and the "bottom of foot" stitches on the other side of the loop, you won't need to do anything with the "top" stitches. You can just leave them on that part of the cable and work the heel back and forth on the "bottom" part.

You were quite right. Once I got to that part it was pretty obvious that was the right way to go. Thanks.

This is going much faster using ML. I have the top, heel, and gusset finished and all that's left is the foot and toe.

Stiney
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
I've heard that if you can avoid Second Sock Syndrome, the second goes faster.

It took me from 12/25 to 1/31 to finish my first adult sock. I cast-on for sock 2 on 2/1 and I'm on the toe decreases. :cheering: Both on DPN's. I think I need to double my DPN set so I can do both socks at the same time from now on.

Knitting_Guy
02-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Cool. It sounds like you almost have it whipped.

I made a point of casting on the second sock right away so as to avoid that SSS.

Stiney
02-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I'd finish it off tonight except my right pinky is achey. I'll finish it off tomorrow. And then I have to weave in the ends. And add a few finishing touches, because this is my swap sock. :twisted:

Oh, partner, are you reading this? mwahahahaha.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Swap sock? :whoosh:

five_six
02-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Swap sock? :whoosh:

Ahhhh, yes, the dreaded sock swap!! The very reason I haven't been able to visit the forum in weeks! But mine will be finished today, and I think it's only fair that they are a little late, cause my swap pal is getting 2 (yes, that's right, 2) pairs of socks. Are you reading this swap pal... mwahahahah
You need to head over to the Knit Alongs forum a bit more Mason... but be warned!!!

And I am amazed with your progress too, socks already!! Wow i've missed a bit in my absence! *need little cheeleader emoticon*

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks Dee.

I really haven't visited the knit alongs forum as I'm hardly on the same knitting level as the rest of you. So you knit socks and then trade them with someone else?

five_six
02-17-2007, 12:37 AM
well, i'm a little bad :oops: because they are for Sockintines Day, which has come and gone now... tsk tsk!! But yeah, I've already received the socks that were made for me, I just have to get my partners in the mail, and pray she doesn't have to wait till next century to get them from here!!

Liliyarn
02-17-2007, 03:33 AM
five_six

yes, I am reading this, Muwahahahahahahahaha

Liliyarn
02-17-2007, 03:38 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

why do I feel so evil?

Your socks would be worth waiting for even if it was only a single pair dearest swapee.

Mason, you've sooooo got to join the next swap. It's fun and you get to be snikky.....

five_six
02-17-2007, 05:48 AM
:oo:

:out:

mrs.hre
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
what is dpns mean

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
what is dpns mean

double point needles.

zkimom
02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
dpns = double pointed needles

zkimom
02-17-2007, 10:26 AM
I have a set of Denise's and was wondering if I could join 2 cables to make one long enough to magic loop or do I have to buy the long cable? I'm making a Noni Adventure bag on 2 cables joined together to get the length I need but I was wondering if that would work for ML or would the join get in the way?

I haven't made the attempt to ML yet and need to watch the video again cause I'm not quite getting it. (That and for some reason, every time I try to watch it, I fall asleep sitting in front of my computer :sleepy: :oops: ) I really want to try it.

My other problem is that the needle sets don't come in small enough sizes to make socks with sock weight yarn. The Denises only start at size 4s and the socks I'm working on are a 2.

Oh well, I thought I'd get out of buying more needles but I guess not.

Mason, you are truly my hero -- ML and socks -- I'm impressed!

Best to all,
Susan

Cristy
02-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Way to go Mason!! :happydance:

I haven't tried ML but I love 2 circs!! I plan to try 2 socks on 2 circs soon--I've not done that yet. I think it'll help me avoid SSS. We wanna see pics of those socks when they are finished Mason!!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks Susan. I've never used the Denise but I thought being able to join the cables was one of the features of them?

Thanks Cristy. I'm hoping to have the second sock finished this weekend.

Stiney
02-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks Dee.

I really haven't visited the knit alongs forum as I'm hardly on the same knitting level as the rest of you. So you knit socks and then trade them with someone else?

Pish posh!

There are all sorts of projects on there, for beginners on to Knitting Goddesses like Ingrid. :notworthy:

Lots of people in the Sock Swap are fairly new knitters, and besides a class sock, this is my first pair of socks.

Ellieblue
02-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Mason, Just read your blog about using ML for socks. I figured a way to just slip the top part of the sock on the cable then k /p back and forth for the heel flap then when you're ready to pick up the side sts (along heel flap) use the flap needle. Keeping the top sts on one needle do the decreases on each side of the heel needle. I haad trouble trying to figure out which end of the pick up sts to decrease but this works for me. I left out some steps but I think you get my drift .

DianaM
02-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks Dee.

After having tackled socks, you're ahead of me already :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Mason, Just read your blog about using ML for socks. I figured a way to just slip the top part of the sock on the cable then k /p back and forth for the heel flap then when you're ready to pick up the side sts (along heel flap) use the flap needle. Keeping the top sts on one needle do the decreases on each side of the heel needle. I haad trouble trying to figure out which end of the pick up sts to decrease but this works for me. I left out some steps but I think you get my drift .

Thanks. I wound up doing something pretty similar. I left everything on the circ. As the stitches were already divided in half I just worked the heel flap on one side and let the others rest on the cable on the other side. I then picked up one side, knitted across to the other, picked it up, and then redivided everything back up again to do the decreases, placing stitch markers at the point where the heel flap sides met the top so as to make it easy to keep count to do the decreases. It was all basically arranged just like it would be on DPNs.

I don't know if that was technically the "right" way to do it, but it worked.

five_six
02-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Lots of people in the Sock Swap are fairly new knitters, and besides a class sock, this is my first pair of socks.

like me... first socks, first magic loop, but i loved it, loved it, loved it!!

landolphe
02-17-2007, 07:31 PM
I'd love to try ML knitting hats, but I have only the standard Denise set, not the long 32"+ cables. Anyone tried it connecting 2 shorter cables tog, and how'd it work pulling the connector part thru??

BTW, dark chocolate's good for you (in moderation, unfortunately ;) ), so enjoy today for St. V.'s!!

I have had no problems using joined Denise needles.

Lando

hydeemarie
02-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Magic loop looks like its fun and I wanna try. Does anyone know of a pattern suitable for magic loop virgins? :teehee: :teehee:

DragonsChest
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Silver: Any new updates on when you'll have the ML tute? No pressure, mind you - LOL! I'm just really looking forward to it.

Everyone: I can't find KP Options size 1 in 40" or 47". Does anyone else have those? I can find Addi Turbo, though -- which one is better?

HamaLee
03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Silver: Any new updates on when you'll have the ML tute? No pressure, mind you - LOL! I'm just really looking forward to it.

There's a thread partway down the Gen forum announcing the anticipated arrival of Silvers new tute! This should be the right link to it: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks

Enjoy!
Silver I hope you don't mind me linking it for you.

brownishcoat
03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
The longest you can get in Knitpicks classic circs (sizes 0-3) is 32". Have you considered using 2 circs instead of Magic Loop? (I don't put down my KP needles for anything! :teehee:)

DragonsChest
03-08-2007, 05:17 PM

There's a thread partway down the Gen forum announcing the anticipated arrival of Silvers new tute! This should be the right link to it: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks

Enjoy!
Silver I hope you don't mind me linking it for you.

Oh!! Many many thanks for pointing that out to me! Go Silver!

DragonsChest
03-08-2007, 05:18 PM
The longest you can get in Knitpicks classic circs (sizes 0-3) is 32". Have you considered using 2 circs instead of Magic Loop? (I don't put down my KP needles for anything! :teehee:)

I haven't ever done 2 circs, so I might get a larger size KP for my foray into ML. :happydance:

DragonsChest
03-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Okay, just finished reading Silver's new tute. Did I miss it, or does this set of instructions not have a "gusset", like the dpns tute does? Or does it have one and it's just part of the heel?

Thanks!

SandraEllen
03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Silver's new tutial has short row heels and not gussets.

Silver
03-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Yep.. no gussets needed when you do a short row heel.

On the next tutorial, I'll do a toe-up with a heel flap and gusset so that both techniques are demonstrated. The toe-up heel flap and gusset technique is different than the cuff-down heel & gusset. In the toe-up, you don't have to pick up stitches.
:happydance:

DragonsChest
03-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, alrighty then! ;) And since I just ordered some KP options needles, I'll be able to utilize your newest tute. Many thanks! :notworthy: