PDA

View Full Version : Knit Picks DPNS - Can this be right?

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
I was looking at the Knit Picks DPNs on their site. I saw they are priced at $3.99 but it doesn't say for what quantity. I emailed them and asked whether that $3.99 was for one needle for for a set.

They emailed me back and said that their DPNs come in a set of 5. For $3.99? Can this be right?

brendajos
02-15-2007, 07:03 PM
*nods*

mrs desert rain
02-15-2007, 07:04 PM
yes, that sounds about right!

nadja la claire
02-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Yup! Best deal in town!!!

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Wow, that really is an excellent price for such well crafted needles. Or maybe I just expected them to be more.

projectgal
02-15-2007, 07:14 PM
I believe Mason has found the wonderous world of Knitpicks. It's beautiful isn't it?

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
:rofl:

letah75
02-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I want to try DPN's but I haven't yet gotten the nerve (or the time due to many WIP's), I would be afraid it would be really easy to drop a whole row of stitches with these since they appear slippery.

What do you guys think?

syndactylus
02-15-2007, 07:56 PM
I love the takumi ones, which are on sale there too.
I'm afraid of metal dpns, not so much because of the stitches falling off, but of one of them going flying and someone losing an eye...

but I am very accident prone.

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 07:58 PM
I love the takumi ones, which are on sale there too.
I'm afraid of metal dpns, not so much because of the stitches falling off, but of one of them going flying and someone losing an eye...

but I am very accident prone.

:out:

brendajos
02-15-2007, 08:02 PM
because getting speared in the eye with a wooden needle is preferable to getting speared in the eye with a metal needle? :thinking:

DianaM
02-15-2007, 08:03 PM
because getting speared in the eye with a wooden needle is preferable to getting speared in the eye with a metal needle? :thinking:

Weeeell, people have their standards :roflhard:

Then again, I once superglued my eye while doing arts and crafts :oops:

syndactylus
02-15-2007, 08:05 PM
metal seems more aerodynamic?

brendajos
02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
metal seems more aerodynamic?

so what you are saying is that the needles would fly further so you could potentially hurt someone in the next county instead of right next to you? :teehee:

SabrinaJL
02-15-2007, 08:15 PM
I love my Options, but I use bamboo DPN's. I have a hard enough time with DPN's without having to worry about my stitches falling off.

Jan in CA
02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I want to try DPN's but I haven't yet gotten the nerve (or the time due to many WIP's), I would be afraid it would be really easy to drop a whole row of stitches with these since they appear slippery.

What do you guys think?

I think bamboo is preferable for a first attempt at DPNs. I tried metal first and gave up. Bamboo made a world of difference because they are less slippery.

letah75
02-15-2007, 08:53 PM

I would think metal would be preferable, no worries about being splinters. :teehee:

I think bamboo is preferable for a first attempt at DPNs. I tried metal first and gave up. Bamboo made a world of difference because they are less slippery.

I will definately get some bamboo then! Jan always has the anwers and I bow :notworthy: to your experience and logic. :muah:

Jan in CA
02-15-2007, 09:00 PM
:teehee: You're welcome!

DreamWeaver
02-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Four bucks for FIVE DPN's?!?!?!?!?!?!? Are you serious?!?!?!?!?!?

Better get to knitpicks... :out:

Knitting_Guy
02-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Four bucks for FIVE DPN's?!?!?!?!?!?!? Are you serious?!?!?!?!?!?

Better get to knitpicks... :out:

That's exactly what I thought too.

DreamWeaver
02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
:teehee: oh, the joys of knitpicks...

NinaT
02-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Just remember knitting needles don't kill people...

auburnchick
02-16-2007, 12:11 AM

Weeeell, people have their standards :roflhard:

Then again, I once superglued my eye while doing arts and crafts :oops:

:roflhard:

Funny now...probably not then.

Seriously, though.

I bought three sizes of Options DPNs to start off with and loved them so much that I ordered several other sizes. Because I'm a tight knitter, my stitches don't fall off of the needles too easily.

I say indulge...SPEND, SPEND, SPEND. You'll be happy, happy, happy. :teehee:

Yarn Doc
02-16-2007, 12:31 AM
I considered getting these, but then I knitting socks with KellyK, who was using them, and she was saying that she couldn 't get gauge with any other needles except those. We measure them with my handy Susan Bates needle gauge, and lo and behold, her size 2's were actually 2.5s!!

So now I'm afraid to buy them. Is that irrational?

brendajos
02-16-2007, 12:40 AM
The problem is that in the small sizes there is a difference amongst needles AND needle gauges. If you get the Knit picks gauge check the needles will be the right size and other 2s and 2.5s might not fit their gauge right.

one of the girls at my sit n knit got about 4 pairs of needles sent to her until they figured out what the problem was.

it also sort of explains why you look at patterns that have some of the smaller needles in the Euro sizes and you can't find a needle that matches in the US sizes.

eta: The same is true in the circ needles of the same sizes.

CamNMeg
02-16-2007, 01:50 AM
I bought my bamboo DPNs from them & it was cheaper to buy them from knitpicks & pay shipping than it was to buy them locally. Knitpicks is a beautiful thing!

hellokitty165
02-16-2007, 05:43 AM
warning ...they are very slippery to knit with... for tight knitters is good news !

dustinac
02-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I was afraid they would be slippery to knit with.. I have other metal dpns and gotta worry about the sts falling off.. so I always stuck with bamboo for my socks.. I CO a sock with the 0s and fell in love.. the yarn does glide over really easy and I think its faster.. but I haven't had a problem of losing my sts... I used the 5s for a bath mitt the other day and again really enjoyed working with them.. I'm slowly getting them all :happydance:

syndactylus
02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
brendajos - did you ever see the mtv special about rockstar mishaps? david bowie once got speared right in the pupil by some fan's lollipop stick in the middle of a concert! (& he kept going!) I will say no more.

---

but now I have to ask - tight knitters: what is the secret? is it just something you do without even trying, or do you pull the yarn after each stitch, or how do you do it?
please tell!

brendajos
02-16-2007, 12:29 PM
brendajos - did you ever see the mtv special about rockstar mishaps? david bowie once got speared right in the pupil by some fan's lollipop stick in the middle of a concert! (& he kept going!) I will say no more.

:rofl: :hug: :muah:

auburnchick
02-16-2007, 12:38 PM

---

but now I have to ask - tight knitters: what is the secret? is it just something you do without even trying, or do you pull the yarn after each stitch, or how do you do it?
please tell!

True professional!

Birdy
02-16-2007, 12:53 PM
I speared my eye while learning to knit socks...

There was something about that other needle sticking out that I forgot about and leaned in trying to figure out what I was doing...

:doh:

Cristy
02-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Birdy...you're brave for admitting that!