PDA

View Full Version : Can you KNIT and do another yarn craft??

aineepooh1
02-16-2007, 02:55 AM
Just wondered if/who could do more than one "fiber arts " craft. I love my knitting but I am seriosly thinking about trying to learn to crochet too~ I have seen that crochet adds some very nice borders to knitted garments. and it just so happens that I went to Joanns today to ask for a little help.. Guess what ?? the clerk was very helpful to me, showed me the hooks that were on sale~ SHE TEACHES CROCHET~~! :cheering:

If I keep this up~~ I am going to be a very craft but poor girl~!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jan in CA
02-16-2007, 03:18 AM
I can crochet and I've done embroidery, too. I just prefer knitting now, but crochet is excellent to know for borders.

DonnaS
02-16-2007, 07:55 AM
I knit, crochet and am learning tatting :)

I love knit for wearables and sweater type things, but crochet adds some interesting designs and is great for me because it's faster. I also love thread crochet with it's intricacies :heart: Tatting I wanted to learn for years and I plan on making tatted lace for the baby girl clothes I make and sell alot of :)

The good thing is.. the yarn is interchangeable between knitting and crochet.. so you only need to buy hooks.. not a whole new yarn stash. :eyebrow: There are some yarns that work up much better crocheted, and some that work up much better knitted. That is trial and error but there's definitely always room for both in my craft basket(s).. ok craft rooms.. :teehee:

cookworm
02-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I learned how to crochet as a little girl but never mastered it, and I'd like to learn it again. I can do single crochet and chain stitch, but that's it. This (http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html) particular site has some great videos for crochet techniques much like Amy's knitting videos if you're interested. I love knitting, but there are some things I think I like better crocheted; it would be nice to have the "luxury" to be able to go back and forth and knit the things I want knitted, and crochet the things I like crocheted.

Donna--I'd LOVE to learn how to tat--it's so beautiful!!!! :inlove:

msoebel
02-16-2007, 10:13 AM
I knew how to crochet before I learned to knit. I prefer knitting, but do use crochet to make prettier borders on my FOs.

I would LOVE to learn tatting! My grandmother used to tat before her eyesight started to go...none of her daughters were interested in learning, so no one else in the family can do this. It is really becoming a dying art.

I would love to tat some borders on pillowcases!

Misty

Cristy
02-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I learned to crochet as a little girl but only ever learned the basics and I don't ever do it. I have thought of learning it b/c I can tell it is fast and I like the idea of crocheted borders on some of my knitted items but I'm not sure where to find more time or patience in my life! My grandmother uses crochet thread and crochets borders on pieces of flannel to make little receiving blankets and they are super cute and handy--she taught me to do it several years back but I'm out of practice and not sure I'd remember how.

knit-errant
02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I learned to crochet before I knew how to knit, and I'm still a better crocheter than I am a knitter. I can't say I really prefer one over the other, though... I enjoy both.

I do a little embroidery too, though it's been a long time since I've done it. I really liked crewel-work and hardanger.

And add me to the list of those who want to learn to tat! It's so pretty. I can (kind of) do the most basic of basics. Somehow, I just don't "get" how to shuttle tat, but needle tatting makes more sense to me. :shrug:

dustinac
02-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I am trying to learn crochet.. I have made a purse for my little girl... I use to sell my emboridery work for a local shop.. and I have made a baby quilt for my daughter.. my flower garden quilt and charm quilt are stll not done... maybe one day they will be :rofl:

madametj
02-16-2007, 10:47 AM
i know basic crochet stitches, i also latch rugs (with a latchhook) and do needlepoint (i'm not sure if thats the right word for it, its the one with the plastic canvas...)

becjo
02-16-2007, 10:51 AM
I have about 4 knit projects going on - and at night, I cross stitch. I can cross stitch and watch TV where when I'm knitting, and have a pattern, I can't do 2 things at once. Plus, my hands wears out if I knit for long periods of time so this works out great for me. I knit at work during lunch or breaks, have projects in my car for stops, a project by my bed just for morning & before bed knitting - but LOVE my cross stitching too. It's just prioritizing everything. It's not going to confuse you or anything.

knitting4babybear
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Knitting has developed a love of crafting in me in general.

I also learned to do some crocheting recently (for the same reasons as you). Sewing, quilting, and scrapbooking also interest me now. All those trips to Micheal's for notions, I guess.

I bought 4 yards of an amazing fabric the other day. I don't know how to quilt yet, but I want to use at least some of it for a quilt - I just know it. I also want to use some of it for a needle holder - but the construction is most important to me, so it can't just be anyone. There will likely be a sewing machine and batting, and cardboard and zippers involved. :teehee:

letah75
02-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm learning how to crochet now, up until this point I only knit. I also just got a beautiful sewing machine and have begun playing with it to get the feel of it. i haven't sewn in years and years.

Uhhh, question though, what is tatting? I see that and my first thought was tattoos and I got a little confused.

brokenblossoms
02-16-2007, 12:49 PM
I knit, crochet, and can do cross-stitch and needle-point (but I haven't done the last two in a while). I've also done some macrame in the past.

My mother is VERY crafty and artistic, so anything I can get my hands on, I'll try.

Edit - forgot to add sewing, probably because my machine and I haven't been speaking to eachother for the past few months.

KathyinCali
02-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Crochet
Tatting
Needlepoint (This hobby was more expensive than knitting for me so I feel I'm ahead of the game money-wise with knitting - even being a yarn snob!)
Counted Cross Stitch

I did the above until my eyes couldn't take it any longer and took up knitting. I love that I am decent at crochet because it helps to make some great borders!

:)

ZELDAdog
02-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I have tried to learn to crochet--several times! But it just doesn't make sense to me! I can't ever tell where I'm "supposed" to insert the hook! Knitting makes much more sense to me--you can "see" where your stitches are! LOL!

My mom is the opposite--crochets up a storm--can't knit a lick! LOL

I have also done some sewing, quilting, used to LOVE to cross stitch--but haven't done that in years. My big thing right now is scrapbooking! I love to play with paper!

Jenelle
02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I have too many crafts. :teehee:

Knitting, crocheting, sewing, starting to weave.. ect.

Knitting has to be my favorite though.

iza
02-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I never heard of the word "tatting" before. :oops: I looked it up, and it looks so cool! I would love learn that! I went to Belgium a few years ago, where they do a lot of bobbin lace. Tatting seems to be different, but does it give similar results?

I used to crochet and do macrame when I was a little girl but I forgot everything. :oops: I would absolutely LOVE to spin and weave, too! It's funny, because I'm absolutely not a crafty person in general. But for some reason, there is just something about yarn, wool, fabrics... I just love it.

Ronda
02-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I used to cross stitch. My daughter wants to learn cross stitch, so I bought her a beginner's kit last week. When I tried to help her, I realized that my eyesight is no longer what it used to be! I couldn't see a thing! Guess I'm going to have to go see an eye doctor.

DianaM
02-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Knit and crochet. Very slowly taking up sewing.

JoeE
02-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I can crochet pretty well, probably because I've done it for 30+ years. I'm not a terrible sew-er, but I detest making clothes. If I'm going to sew, it's to piece a quilt or make some home dec item. I do get drafted to make an awful lot of Halloween costumes, but if they don't fit right, who cares? You're only going to have it on for a little while.

I'm a newbie knitter, but I'm glad I tried it. I've always thought it would be so cool to be able to do it well (I have a way to go to get there). I was always fascinated when I had the opportunity to watch someone else knit.

MoniDew
02-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I also am a multi-crafter. Knit, crochet, quilt, sew, cross-stitch, etc.
________
Ford Royale History (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Royale)

Nikita-amimono
02-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I've learned how to crochet (lacy one with cotton thread) from kind old lady who lived in my neighbourhood when I came to Italy.
I really loved it.

I used to cross stitch, and I self taught Hardanger.
I still do Hardanger.

I prefer to knit last few months because knitting is easier on my eyes.
Embroidery is hard on my eyes after 30 minutes, and it 's difficult to keep working.

Come to think of it, stitching gave me back pain, too.
Maybe the position that I hold cloth and needle???? :??

Ciao,

Niki

hummingbird
02-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I knit, crochet, spin, felt and sew. I'm planning on dyeing some yarn soon too.

landolphe
02-17-2007, 07:14 PM
I knit and spin with about equal ability. Am now about to start a Learn to Crochet web tutorial. Why? Because it appears to me that in crochet it is possible to create very large holes and to have stitches of very different sizes adjoining one another. Why would I want to do this? I am thinking of blankets and wall hangings.

Landolphe

purlwise
02-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I knit and crochet, and eek!, I probably like crocheting more, it goes so much faster and I get a more immediate result. For years I didn't crochet because all the patterns I found were dollies or granny squares, yuk! But now with the whole renewed interest in knitting and crocheting, there are tons of really cute crochet items that don't look like something from 1950! The good thing about crochet is that it goes really fast, but the bad thing is that you use more yarn when you crochet, so the garments sometimes can be pretty heavy.

Crochet is great for summer items, but I prefer knitting for winter items.

humblestumble
02-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Yup! Crochet is so easy. I've been doing it a lot lately. I also embroider here and there but I am not very good at it. I also tried cross stitch, but I don't like that.

Quiltlady
02-18-2007, 07:27 AM
I learned as a child how to crochet. But I prefer the look of knitting and the whole knitting experience more. :cheering: :cheering:

DonnaS
02-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Great site for tatting: http://www.be-stitched.com/tat.asp

:muah:

I admit to cross stitch looking more and more appealing to me.. though I always got frustrated with it before. I saw a picture at HL that looked JUST LIKE my young stallion and had to have it, but it's HUGE.. and I'm just not quite ready for something like that *yet* :wall: