PDA

View Full Version : The odd things people say...

niffer
02-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I know there have been a few of these threads about the weird things people say about knitting, but yesterday my Sister in law came over unexpectedly and I had all of my knitting gubbins all over the living room and she said

"Oh, you're knitting again? Did you not do that in October?"

Shocked by such an odd questions I said that I started in October, but I'd carried on. She just looked confused.

Have I broken some kind of social rule or something that says you can only knit one month a year?

:??

iza
02-16-2007, 11:30 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: For some reason I find this hilarious. I absolutly don't get your SIL's comment AT ALL. You should comment on something SHE does. "Oh, you're eating chocolate? I thought you were doing that in October". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jodstr2
02-16-2007, 11:34 AM
:roflhard: iza! :roflhard:

niffer - that's hilarious! you SIL must pick up hobbies and do a short attention span kind of thing, then drop them and move on to the next one... she thinks you do the same... that's the only thing I can think of.

silly SIL :hmm: :yadda:

bip
02-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Ah, yes. I had to apply for special permission to knit outside of the month of October. It was a lot of paperwork, standing in line, etc, but it was worth it. Can't knit in July though, I couldn't afford the special fee levied on knitting in the second summer month starting with the letter "J".

Knitting_Guy
02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
:rofl:

hunterjenn
02-16-2007, 12:31 PM
:roflhard: You guys are so silly! Whew! That one really caught me off-guard! :rofl: :roflhard: How on earth did you respond to that, niffer?

CarmenIbanez
02-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Ah, yes. I had to apply for special permission to knit outside of the month of October. It was a lot of paperwork, standing in line, etc, but it was worth it. Can't knit in July though, I couldn't afford the special fee levied on knitting in the second summer month starting with the letter "J".

Did you forget your permits again?

:roflhard:

Birdy
02-16-2007, 12:48 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Oh I find that so funny!

I'm going to have to think of some good responses for knitting comments. I've thought up stuff for people who comment on my home schooling, but never thought about knitting!

aineepooh1
02-16-2007, 01:05 PM
You should of said YEP~! I also do it in November, December, January, February, March, April, May,June, July, August, but I take off SEPTEMBER before I start my knitting year again~! :teehee:

I bet she wan't trying to be rude~She is just a Knon -Knitting Knucklehead~~

In her defense~ I say stupid things sometimes to my SIL but there is no meaness implied ... I just dunno~!! : :doh:

Cristy
02-16-2007, 01:21 PM
:roflhard: how weird...perhaps she just thinks you have no attention span and she was shocked that you were "still" keeping up w/ a craft--that would have been what it meant if someone said it to me...I have ADD so bad...:) LOL!

niffer
02-16-2007, 02:04 PM
aineepooh1 said

I bet she wan't trying to be rude~She is just a Knon -Knitting Knucklehead~~

In her defense~ I say stupid things sometimes to my SIL but there is no meaness implied ... I just dunno~!! : Doh!

She wasn't intentionally trying to be rude, just as rude as she normally is :rofl:

After thinking about it for a while I think I actually noticed a hint of envy in her tone of voice.

I didn't really respond a lot as I was so shocked by the question, I'm gonna write out some of your responses for next time she makes a stoopid comment! :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-16-2007, 02:13 PM
That is probably one of the funniest comments I've seen regarding knitting!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

roxtarchic
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
i gotta good one on the train last nite.... i was knitting my brothers dickie(haha) and the gentleman next to me asked what i was knitting... i hesitated to say ****-ie.. and told him, it's a turtle neck thingie for my brother...

he looked at me quizzickly (i was thinking maybe i shoulda said dickie)
and then he said "well my sister never did anything like that for ME"

umm... yeah
ISSUES anyone?

haha.. but yeah... i only knit in october and february myself ;)
i always think of a good comeback AFTER it's too late to comeback
like the "what are you making" question (that DOES get tiresome sometimes)
i usually say "a mess"

aineepooh1
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Niffer .. maybe she IS envious and wants you to ask her if she wants to learn~!! :shrug:
I think when people say things sometimes its because they are envious~ I had a similar problem earlier this week with my Mr "John" who insulted me and my Hat a made for a coworker... but i hadn't made on e for John~ I think he may have been jealous~!! :pout:

madametj
02-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Niffer .. maybe she IS envious and wants you to ask her if she wants to learn~!! :shrug:
I think when people say things sometimes its because they are envious~ I had a similar problem earlier this week with my Mr "John" who insulted me and my Hat a made for a coworker... but i hadn't made on e for John~ I think he may have been jealous~!! :pout:

u should make him a super-cool looking one. "kill them with kindness" as my mom always says. granted, this isn't something i've tried to often :teehee: , but i'm sure it'll work for you!

ladyindica2000
02-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh, people can be so odd. Some of the stranger (and somewhat insulting) comments that I have gotten lately have been:

- "Are those the skewers you use for making shish kabobs?" (My doctor was talking about my sock needles)

- "Knitting isn't a real hobby"

and the real winner (and OT) - was my co-worker talking about my being pregnant (I am 4.5 months along) when she said "You are at that stage now where people don't know if you are pregnant or just fat".

Some people have no little voice inside their head telling them that what is about to come out of their mouth may be better not said at all.

Trish

Jan in CA
02-16-2007, 07:19 PM
- "Knitting isn't a real hobby"

:nails:

Some people have no little voice inside their head telling them that what is about to come out of their mouth may be better not said at all.

I often accuse my DH of that, but at least he has enough common sense not to say something that rude! :wall:

CateKnits
02-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I was knitting during a break in class yesterday and the guy next to me leans over and says, "Why do you waste your time with that? Don't you know you could pay like $5 for a Chinese person to make one and then it would be PERFECT?" I just glanced up at him and said, "I enjoy it." and went back to work. He asked the girl on the other side of him if SHE enjoyed knitting and she said she could make a scarf but what I was doing was hardcore. :teehee: Later, he was playing a game on his cell phone and said to the same girl, "if you think I'm wasting MY time, look at what SHE'S doing" and indicated me. :roll:

I related this story to my roommate (also a knitter) and her reaction was, "What, Chinese people knit better than we do?!" which made us both laugh.

Knitting_Guy
02-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Knitting isn't a real hobby????

:pout:

Jan in CA
02-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Knitting isn't a real hobby????

:pout:

According to dictionary.com a hobby is:

1. an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

An idiot is:
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

Nuff said. :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-16-2007, 07:45 PM
An idiot is:
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.

I resemble that remark!

cookworm
02-16-2007, 09:11 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

DreamWeaver
02-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Wow, some people have no respect for us :!!!: Hey, speaking or respect, have any of you checked this out (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/)? Sounds fun, though I don't know if my dad will let me fly across the country to New York :teehee:

Lisa_H-Town
02-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Too funny... My son asked why I was learning to knit... I told him that since he was going off to college soon, I would have time and wanted a "new" hobby... (I have always wanted to learn). He said, "Oh, so you are going to become a little ol' lady once I leave?"

Out of the mouths of (18YO) babes.