PDA

View Full Version : Stitch Markers... How will I know?

Lisa_H-Town
02-16-2007, 11:30 PM
OK, I was perusing the forum (and it's Friday nite, what has my life come to?) and saw a thread about "stitch markers" -- very cute ones, by the way.

What are they for, and how will I know if I need to use one? :??

Will the pattern tell me... obviously a very inexperienced question, but I stress about everything.

ArtLady1981
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Lisa,

You just posted your question, so maybe you are still in the Forum.

Stitch markers are used to keep track of sections of complicated patterning on the row.

I just posted a photo of my aran afghan progress, click the link below, and you will see that I have little orange stitch markers on the cable. See how they mark certain sequences of patterning?

Stitch Marker placements (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24933&start=375) and scroll down to bottom of the page.

Stitch markers are handy for keeping track of many things on the row.
When a pattern WANTS YOU TO put a marker, it will use this abbreviation: PM for PLACE MARKER. Or they will outright say it.
Every time you come to the marker, just slip it from the left needle to the right needle, and continue with the pattern stitches called for.

Knitting_Guy
02-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Yep, they are pretty handy. I'm doing a sock and placed stitch markers to indicate where the sides and the top meet so that I could easily keep track for my decreases.

Stiney
02-16-2007, 11:55 PM
You can use stitch markers even when it doesn't tell you to use them. For instance, on a baby blanket I'm working on, there is a 17 stitch repeat. I placed a marker in between each of those 17 stitch repeats. The pattern didn't tell me to do that, but this way, instead of counting how many stitches I am from the beginning or ending of the row, I can count how many I am from the stitch marker and not lose my place in it.

(And by "working on" I mean I haven't touched it since October. :shifty:)

They are almost always used to indicate the beginning of a round when you are doing circular knitting. (Knitting a seamless tube.)

Lisa_H-Town
02-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks so much... This helps... I guess I will get some, as I am numerically challenged.. When I count stitches (have a gaining problem), 3X get different counts! Getting better though. Saw a thread that said to "pay attention"... good rule! Has helped immensely!

Circular knitting... Socks... OMG... working up courage!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks so much... This helps... I guess I will get some, as I am numerically challenged.. When I count stitches (have a gaining problem), 3X get different counts! Getting better though. Saw a thread that said to "pay attention"... good rule! Has helped immensely!

Somehow I'm willing to bet that every beginning knitter out there has that gaining problem at first. I know I sure did until I learned to pay closer attention.

It honestly is easier than it looks.

SabrinaJL
02-17-2007, 12:27 AM
I also like to use them for when I'm casting on a large number of stitches. I'm an obsessive counter and it helps to place a marker every 10 or 20 stitches. Then it makes it easier to figure out where I'm at. That way I don't have to recount all the stitches if someone talks to me. :teehee:

Lisa_H-Town
02-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Yes! That would help so much... I am interrupted constantly -- until about 11pm! Hey, what about row counters (remind me of umpire clickers)?? Do y'all use them?

Mason: OK, I have checked out the magic circle you were discussing this evening, and think I may attempt. DPN are still a bit intimidating to me.

ArtLady: I hope to one day be able to accomplish such beautiful items as the afghan you showed (sorry about the color thing). I had been following your "stash" thread, as I didn't know what "stash" was... now I see how easy it is to acquire!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 12:51 AM
I use a counter to keep track of rows when it's needed, like doing the heel flap on a sock. Much easier than having to stop and count the rows.

Magic Loop is good, and I really like it, but don't be afraid of DPNs either. They really feel awkward at first but are well worth learning how to use. I'm glad I used them for the first sock as I was also very intimidated by them. Now that I've used them, they're no big deal. Honestly, having done one sock on DPNs made it easier for me to do them on ML.

Lisa_H-Town
02-17-2007, 01:20 AM
OK, will try the DPN first, cuz I really feel like making a scarf w/the Lion Chenille on 14"/13's helped me w/ the pillow I am now doing on 8's... sooo tiny and feel so much more in control. But loved the feel of the Chenille!

I have adopted the "circular" or attached needles instead of straight needles even for the "flat" work I am doing... Read threads of folks doing that, PLUS, I wanted to know what y'all were talking about w/ the comparisons, etc. I like not having the ends to deal w/. My cats were too attracted to the moving ends, and the ends would get caught in my sleeves. Am I heading for trouble by doing this?

Am fixing to start a tank top... not ready to deal w/sleeves.. Plus I live in Houston... not much use for them for most of the year! :hot:

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 01:27 AM
I don't think you're "heading for trouble" knitting on circs instead of straights. Lots of folks do it all the time. I will probably be doing more of that myself as I progress and learn more. I'm a newbie too and still learning.

I wasn't trying to push you in one direction or the other with regard to DPNs or ML, just relating my own (limited) experience with them.

Lisa_H-Town
02-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Pushing: Nope, didn't take it that way, just figure I would rather start in a way that would make me understand the other better.... so traditional first. Gonna go w/ wood/bamboo, even though I am a tight knitter, I tend to move my needles and the stitches don't follow... and just sit there -- waiting for a home.

Circs: will be watching the debate closely on sets... just buying odds and ends right now, but really anxious to make a "commitment"!

redwitch
02-17-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm doing a scarf with complicated increases/decreases on both sides and asymmetrical, so a stitch marker at a point in the middle is very helpful (at the point specified by a vertical line down the middle of the chart). Remember that if you tie a piece of wool in a different colour (so it stands out) in a loop that fits onto your needle, it will work as a stitch marker. If you prefer the jewellery-type ones with beads/wire loops etc., no problem, but I have never bought any... I just use a loop of wool. I don't even bother cutting off the tails hanging off the loop.
You could also use washers or anything similar if they fitted your needle, also you can buy plain plastic loop stitch markers rather than the decorative jewellery-type ones. Don't spend much money unless you prefer the decorative ones.

Sarah

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Pushing: Nope, didn't take it that way, just figure I would rather start in a way that would make me understand the other better.... so traditional first.

Ok, cool. I just didn't want to give you the impression that I was advocating one over the other.

Gonna go w/ wood/bamboo, even though I am a tight knitter, I tend to move my needles and the stitches don't follow... and just sit there -- waiting for a home.

I am also a tight knitter. That's why I went with the Options as they were described as very slick and sharp by everyone. They really make my knitting easier.

Circs: will be watching the debate closely on sets... just buying odds and ends right now, but really anxious to make a "commitment"!

As I already mentioned, I really, really like the KP Options.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 01:52 AM
I just use the plain white plastic markers sold at Wally World and probably every LYS in the world. Not fancy, but they get the job done.

I would like to get some more interesting looking ones at some point.

Lisa_H-Town
02-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Don't know how to use the "quote" thing yet, and my brain works in a different way:

Mason: You are soo cool! Thanks for everything... I got some markers w/the set my mom got me for Christmas (see my intro)... but didn't know if they were sub-usability. Now I know. The yarn needles that came w/ the set broke as I was opening the package.

Will definitely look into the KNO's.... have been watching this site since you put them off for "beer money"! Hey, gotta have priorities, right??

Redwitch: Thanks also, guess I should save my $$ for yarn, not the stuff I don't need to buy! And i am hoping to one day throw around words like "increase", "decrease" and "asymmetrical"!

One thing I am discovering --and I could be wrong, it appears as though it costs more to knit an item than buy it! BUT, it's the entertainment value, right? Like going out and paying $2.50 for a beer when you could stay home and drink for less?? But can't see all the crazy people??

redwitch
02-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Hi mate - just wanted to tell you that if you think you are not too deep into knitting, to seriously consider trying to loosen up your tension! There's a good article on Knitty about loosening up, there are many benefits, one of them is less joint pain. I noticed a post from you about having some acute pain - wrists or thumbs?
Knitting more loosely may help. Also for anyone who knits tightly, loosening up makes it easier to get gauge, improve technique etc., but as a new knitter it will be easier for you to loosen up than it is for me as someone who has settled into my bad habits more (although I am always trying to relax my knitting).

Sarah

SabrinaJL
02-17-2007, 02:30 AM
One thing I am discovering --and I could be wrong, it appears as though it costs more to knit an item than buy it! BUT, it's the entertainment value, right? Like going out and paying $2.50 for a beer when you could stay home and drink for less?? But can't see all the crazy people??

Hmmm, that depends on what kind of yarn you use. Considering I just spent $18 to knit a pair of socks, definitely yes, it can cost more. :teehee:

As for row counters, I use them and totally recommend the mini Kacha-Kacha. (http://joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;$sessionid$Z02YBIAAAAHICP4SY5KRIHR50 LD3UEPO?CATID=82328&PRODID=132529&source=search) The best things about it are it locks, so your count won't get messed up and it's got a place you put a string through so you can wear it like a necklace.

Lisa_H-Town
02-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks Sabrina... got the rotating one and it would change on me -- I know it did -- and I thought I was losing my mind. Will definitely invest in this.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Mason: You are soo cool! Thanks for everything... I got some markers w/the set my mom got me for Christmas (see my intro)... but didn't know if they were sub-usability. Now I know. The yarn needles that came w/ the set broke as I was opening the package.

Thanks. I just toss out my thoughts and opinions. I'm just a dumb old truck driver and have no idea what I'm talking about. :rofl:

Sarah; Thanks. I've been working on loosening up my knitting and it is getting a little better. I'll find that happy medium eventually.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Oh, almost forgot. To do quotes, just copy the text you want to quote. In your reply put the word quote inside of brackets, paste the copied text, and then put /quote inside of brackets after it.

Or just use the handy dandy "quote" button at the upper right corner of the post.

Lisa_H-Town
02-17-2007, 03:01 AM
Mason: Can't figure out the danged "quote" thing... will research this w/e. Anyway: Dumb truck driver? You at least know what Linux is... I am a Mac girl ... typing from my XP that I am clueless about. I didn't even know Linux was still around... how did you wind up a fan?

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:11 AM
Mason: Can't figure out the danged "quote" thing... will research this w/e. Anyway: Dumb truck driver? You at least know what Linux is... I am a Mac girl ... typing from my XP that I am clueless about. I didn't even know Linux was still around... how did you wind up a fan?

Just click the quote button in the upper right corner of a post and you can see what I was talking about.

I've been a computer geek most of my life. I have degrees in Electronic Engineering and Computer Science. Linux has been around since 1991 and has been steadily growing ever since. I've used it since 1995 and have done a lot of work helping out with various distributions by debugging code and writing/correcting scripts.

Like I said, just a dumb old truck driver.

ArtLady1981
02-17-2007, 03:27 AM

Most "gained stitches"...or "extra stitches" are because:
your working yarn is in the front of the work instead of in the back of the work when you are doing a Knit Stitch...this creates what is called a "yarn over"...and created an extra stitch...and when you work the reverse side, you tend to knit or purl that extra stitch created by the yarn over.

Well, here is what to watch for: when doing a Purl stitch, the 'working yarn' is brought to the front by you...when you do a Knit stitch, the working yarn is brought to the back, hiding from you!

If you are knitting and purling all in the same row...remember to allow the 'working yarn' to jump the fence back and forth for the knits and the purls.

Well, that's my 2 cents. Happy knitting! Welcome to the Fold!
:muah:

Stiney
02-17-2007, 12:14 PM

$2.50???? :noway:

Oh my God, where's your bar, I'm coming over RIGHT NOW!

Beers usually $4-$5 a pint by me. :pout: