PDA

View Full Version : What "Type" Knitter Are You?

Mrs. Columbo
02-16-2007, 11:42 PM
I did not compose this but as I read it in my Knitting Rules book I thought "gee, I wonder what kind of knitter everyone is?" .... decided to (try and) find out. :teehee:

THE MISSIONARY: Missionary knitters are those who, regardless of their skill level, are compelled to spread the word of the knit. Convinced (and quite rightly) that knitting is the best thing since sliced bread, they're forever attempting to spread the word of the wool and convert ordinary people into knitters. Their enthusiasm is infectious and they're generous with lessons, time and knitting supplies. Their motto is "don't knock it til you've tried it" and they're visionaries of the knitting world. Missionaries are by nature, giving people, and will often make a gift of yarn or needles to a fledgling knitter to entice her and keep her knitting. Sometimes called "pushers" by other knitters, missionaries will always encourage a stash-enhancing trip, never turn down a knitting social event, and are usually the head of the local knitting club. :grphug:

THE SENSEI: Senseis have elevated knitting to a lifestyle. Never without needles and yarn, there's nothing knitting senseis don't know, and many of them are natural teachers. Through a combination of experience, education, and good instincts, knitting senseis are walking knitting text books. Wondering how to make the top of a sock stretchy enough? Knitting senseis know a dozen cast ons. Mis-cross a cable 17 rows ago? Knitting senseis can show you how to fix the mistake without ripping it back. Knitting senseis never wonder whether a knitted project would be too difficult for them. If they haven't done it, it's because they choose not to. Knitting senseis know all, see all and fear nothing. If they weren't so damned helpful, you would hate them. You'll recognize a sensei by their confident knitting style, the stacks of complex patterns, and stashes that rival the gross national product of a small country. :X:

THE SCIENTIST: Knitting scientists are identified by the stuff in their knitting bags: a caculator, graph paper and a palm pilot with spreadsheet detailing their stash. Never caught unready, knitting scientists swatch religiously, calculate gauge to the quarter stitch, and plot decreases according to a rate of slope that they have personalized for their own body type. Mortified to turn out a sweater with a wonky neckline, scientists place more focus on the technical aspects of knitting. They tend to be methodical stashers, usually buying yarn with a project in mind. This does nothing to limit the size of their stash but it does organize it somewhat. Knitting scientists are likely the only knitters who can put their hands on a tape measure in less than five minutes. xxx

ORGANIC KNITTER: Organic knitters are all about the process. Utterly relaxed about gauge and swatching, organics knit happily along, unconcerned and (mostly) uncaring about the outcome of a project. Organics are all about the yarn, the feel and the act of knitting and embrace the full yarn family of activities. Occasionally organics are known as the "multi crafter" moving surely among weaving, crochet and knitting and often combining several approaches. Organics can be identified with certainty when you overhear the phrase "No, I didn't swatch - it will fit somebody". Another characteristic is their longing to so fully embrace knitting that they have earnest discussions about how to get a flock of sheep into an urban townhouse backyard. :??

THE PRETENDER: These knitters are barely knitters, having been granted "knitter" status only by the virtue of their affection for the craft and the way they keep turning up. Pretenders buy lots of yarn and lots of patterns, and show up at all the conferences and knitting meetups, but - inexplicably - don't seem to knit at all. Pretenders can be outed by careful observation. Have they been knitting the same blue garter stitch scarf for six and a half years with no discernible progress? Pretenders (or knit supporters) are somehow immune to the charms of knitting, but have fallen head over heels for their community of knitters. :grphug:

If you meet another knitter who's exactly your type, always try to get to the yarn shop ahead of her. She's your fiercest competition. :nails:

Knitting_Guy
02-16-2007, 11:56 PM
There's one missing.

The Newbie Knitter: Really enjoys knitting, doesn't have the slightest idea what he/she is doing, but plods ahead regardless.

That would be me. :rofl:

Stiney
02-17-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm fearless, but inexperienced, and I don't swatch. So I'm an organsei? :rofl:

brendajos
02-17-2007, 12:26 AM
lol i am totally organic!

SabrinaJL
02-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm definitely a Missionary knitter. I've given away quite a few skeins of yarn, pairs of needles and books to friends who express a serious interest in learning. :teehee:

CateKnits
02-17-2007, 12:31 AM

That's me, too. :??

auburnchick
02-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Missionary here. :thumbsup:

Lieke
02-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm none of that. I love knitting, and prefer difficult patterns (sensei), but I don't know everything and I don't alway carry needles and yarn with me.

I do use my calculator sometimes when I'm changing a pattern and I do swatch, (scientist) but never the whole fabric, just to know for sure it is the correct width. (I don't care about length, that's what my tape mesure is for)

So I guess I'm a sciensei

simplethings
02-17-2007, 01:27 AM
i think i'm mostly an organic knitter with a large dose of missionary (i'm a total pusher! :happydance:). and maybe a bit of the scientist mixed in (i keep VERY detailed spreadsheets of my yarn stash, needles, and projects).

redwitch
02-17-2007, 01:30 AM
I would really like to be a Scientist, and have some Scientific attributes (e.g. I am a scientist in real life, but more importantly, I know exactly where each of my two tape measures is right now, less than ten metres away from me). However, I think I am actually a Sensei, not because I have used every method myself, but I like to read about knitting techniques online, read many tutorials, and can describe what seems to be the recommended techniques/s for certain applications.
I have managed to resist my missionary inclinations completely (snigger, especially with regard to the word 'inclinations').
Although, after I showed all my work to my mother (an ex-knitter), she took it up again to begin a scarfy-stoley item which she didn't finish. But I swear I wasn't enabling or facilitating it. Really.
Sarah

Birdy
02-17-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm mostly an Organic knitter, but hanging around here has caused me to actually swatch the last three project's I've knitted/knitting.

brokenblossoms
02-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Missionary! :D

syndactylus
02-17-2007, 02:06 AM
the OCD knitter.
I will start it, take it apart, swatch it, start knitting it again, stop, frog it and wash the yarn, sit there and look at it, go knit something else, come back, twitch a little, stuff it in the corner under all the other unraveled yarn, take it out the next day with a whole new life for it, etc. etc.

DonnaS
02-17-2007, 08:06 AM
the OCD knitter.
I will start it, take it apart, swatch it, start knitting it again, stop, frog it and wash the yarn, sit there and look at it, go knit something else, come back, twitch a little, stuff it in the corner under all the other unraveled yarn, take it out the next day with a whole new life for it, etc. etc.

ROFLMAO Hey! I resemble that remark with some yarns! :happydance: I think mostly I'm organic though. I do enjoy reading knitting books and learning new skills (tutorials) and will skim through my source book practicing different patterns, but mostly I just knit along.. Hey it WILL fit someone.. right? :??

feminine_earth
02-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Another organic knitter here! Definitely got some missionary in there, as well, though. :teehee:

MoniDew
02-17-2007, 09:33 AM
These descriptions are VERY accurate! I'm IMPRESSED! According to this, I'm a scientist with a lot of organic thrown in. That is also true in my "real" life. (Naturopath/Nutritionist = A organic scientist)
________
Toyota Mz Engine (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_MZ_engine)

bobi1218
02-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Scientist. I'm such a nerd.

ontariomama
02-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Organic.... yep, that's me.

I can't do a swatch to save my life, but the stuff always seems to fit! lol I just kind of look as I'm casting on and it looks okay, so I keep going. :) Plus I love to try new yarn, but I've got my special favourites. ;)

mrs desert rain
02-17-2007, 10:02 AM
definitely organic!

Cristy
02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm an organic missionary--but more missionary than organic :teehee:

dustinac
02-17-2007, 10:41 AM
:shrug: I don't think I'm any of them... I have a touch of of them all except the teacher one lol... what knitter does it make you if it drives you crazy to have a mistake that you can't just let it go.. you gotta fix it no matter what that means...i'm really bad about that.. its hard for others to understand but it is like the mistake is taunting me if I don't fix it....I like to try harder patterns.. I like to find patterns that are interesting but at the same time make me think and I have to figure them out...I also like to set deadlines for myself to get a project done and then get frustrated when I don't meet it.. which would be my sock right now :-x :teehee:

brendajos
02-17-2007, 11:01 AM
lol it amazes me how different our knitting styles are Dustina and we both like it equally! :teehee:

dustinac
02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
lol it amazes me how different our knitting styles are Dustina and we both like it equally! :teehee:

:teehee: I know.. we kinda even one another out.. you tell me when to chill and I try to get you to finish your socks!! :rofl:

brendajos
02-17-2007, 11:09 AM

:teehee: I know.. we kinda even one another out.. you tell me when to chill and I try to get you to finish your socks!! :rofl:

:rofl: :roflhard: :rofl: :muah:

Stiney
02-17-2007, 12:19 PM

I knew I liked you for a reason. ;)

letah75
02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Complete missionary here. :happydance:

CateKnits
02-17-2007, 01:39 PM

You mean other than the fact that I'm adorable and have great taste in glasses? :flirt: :roflhard:

Stiney
02-17-2007, 02:05 PM

You mean other than the fact that I'm adorable and have great taste in glasses? :flirt: :roflhard:

Yes, besides that.

GLASSES TWINSIES! :cheering:

DreamWeaver
02-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I think I'm a weird combonation of Organic, Missionary, and some strange lazy perfectionist. I care about my finished project but I don't mind giving my knitted things away. I'm always willing to teach someone to knit and I'm utterly thrilled if they keep to it. I always make mistakes and they usually really bug me, but I don't go through extreme measures to fix it (ex: If I miss a row of increasing in a sweater I won't rip back, like, 7 inches to fix it).

So... yeah. What does that make me :teehee:

TeenKnitter
02-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm somewhere between a Sensei and a Scientist.

hunterjenn
02-17-2007, 03:48 PM
:shrug: I don't think I'm any of them... I have a touch of of them all except the teacher one lol... what knitter does it make you if it drives you crazy to have a mistake that you can't just let it go.. you gotta fix it no matter what that means...i'm really bad about that.. its hard for others to understand but it is like the mistake is taunting me if I don't fix it....I like to try harder patterns.. I like to find patterns that are interesting but at the same time make me think and I have to figure them out...I also like to set deadlines for myself to get a project done and then get frustrated when I don't meet it.. which would be my sock right now :-x :teehee:

LOL--are you my long-lost twin?! I would have called myself the ANAL knitter, but I won't foist that name on you, too... :roflhard:

Mrs. Columbo
02-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm a mix of Organic, Pretender and Mason's Newbie ..... perhaps a bit of OCD .... I don't swatch (anal about swatching) so I do stuff that size doesn't matter, constantly shop for yarn that is in my stash, yet haven't completed squat ... PROFESSIONAL FROGGER ..... agghh. :blooby:

Toby

ArtLady1981
02-17-2007, 06:02 PM
My name is Dollyce, and I am a Scientific Sensei!

nadja la claire
02-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm a Missionary-Sensei with just a tiny touch of Organic. I wish I was more fearless. I will attempt almost anything but I really do care how things come out. I have tried to convert just about everyone I know because if my plan works the people I have converted will convert others and then one day knitters will rule the world and the best yarns and needles will be free or at least tax deductible. :woot: :teehee:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

DianaM
02-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I've got traces of Missionary, Scientist and Organic.

How about the Freelancers?
Those of us who will look at a pattern and say: "Hmmm....I think I can modify this a bit and it'll look great"

Of course.....many "interesting" creations come out of such thoughts....

I'm veeeeeeery guilty of that one.

Markette
02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
I think I'm a baby Sensei.

MaryS
02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi, :waving:

Another Scientific Sensei here!

I can ALWAYS lay my hands on a tape measure in less than 5 seconds! I DO swatch, but if I like the fabric at a different gauge than the pattern calls for, I'll go through and rewrite to adjust to the way I want to knit the item. I think the only pattern I've followed EXACTLY in the last decade was the Fiber Trends Clog pattern, and that was only the FIRST time, - all the rest have been "personalized". :rofl:

I'm also the "go to" person in my knitting group whenever someone needs to learn a new technique or have a pattern adjusted.

About the only thing I don't do is Entrelac :shrug: - I've just never been interested in it, but anything else I've done at least once (or until I've mastered it.) :cheering: :happydance:

Happy Knitting to us ALL!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug: :muah: :hug: :muah:

Mary

msoebel
02-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I am completely organic.

I am one of "those" people...I don't swatch (I am too impatient...I want to start my project!). And, I admit, with every single project, I change the pattern or "tweak it" or add one little detail because I am convinced it will make it totally mine. I go by feeling.

Of course, I have only been knitting for 4 months, so my "feelings" are usually wrong.
:teehee:

Interestingly, I tend to live the rest of my life by faith and instinct too...total earth momma. Is there anyone else who finds that the type of knitter they are is very much the kind of person they are?

Misty

msoebel
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
I am completely organic.

I am one of "those" people...I don't swatch (I am too impatient...I want to start my project!). And, I admit, with every single project, I change the pattern or "tweak it" or add one little detail because I am convinced it will make it totally mine. I go by feeling.

Of course, I have only been knitting for 4 months, so my "feelings" are usually wrong.

Interestingly, I tend to live the rest of my life by faith and instinct too...total earth momma. Is there anyone else who finds that the type of knitter they are is very much the kind of person they are?

Misty

LadyB
02-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm a bit missionary, sensei, scientist, and organic. Hmm...Does that make me a missensciganic? or maybe a missorgasentist? :)

imported_Knitty_Kat
02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I fall somewhere between Missionary and Sensei. Missionary because I am always trying to get other people to knit. Sensei because I'm the type of knitter who will make a mistake and if it isn't totally obvious, will keep rolling with it trying to figure out ways to get the mistake to correct itself in the next row or two. But, I am also a bit organic since I move freely between knitting and other yarn crafts.

Compulsive
02-19-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm a Scientist with strong Sensei tendencies, although I'm not fearless, do not know all, or see all. But I must admit that when I enter a LYS, my suppressed organic side takes over when it comes to yarn--it's all about the feel baby! :rofl: I loose all sensibility when squeezing the fiber.

LoAnnie
02-19-2007, 06:16 PM
With a little more practice I will be a Sensei Scientist. If I see a pattern I like, no matter the difficulty, I will knit it. I like reading about all kinds of methods, though I for sure don't know them all yet. I also have a tape measure, pen and paper, calculator and needle gauge in my bag. But this is my everyday bag (purse), so I bring knitting with me everywhere. I guess it fits my personality, since I'm an engineer.

LoAnnie

brendajos
02-19-2007, 06:22 PM
I am completely organic.

Misty

*nods* I was chuckling as i read it because i was eating my organic cereal with my organic milk poured on it. i am not totally organic in my food and products around the house but i am moving that way slowly but surely...lol

madametj
02-19-2007, 10:41 PM
sensei-ish. i always have a project with me, and while i'm learning a lot i don't know quite everything yet (i've got LOTS to learn)

i guess that makes me a........semi-sensei? :shrug: :teehee:

Webigail
02-19-2007, 11:12 PM
the OCD knitter.
LOL...you must be my knitting twin!

I see that I have a lot of qualities of each, but definitely OCD :lol:

cmello
02-20-2007, 04:59 AM
oh, definitely organic...if it doesn't fit or appeal to anyone I know...maybe it will fit someone shopping at the Goodwill.

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

carmabelle1191
02-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Hmm....This is a tough one. But I think I am a mix between organic (never knit a guage swatch before, and things always seem to fit), and a sensei, though I don't think I have elevated to the knitting lifestyle yet (but I'll probably be there soon enough, though!). :frog: :X:

ilurffknit<3
02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
I have scientist yarn-buying policies, but am a total Missionary in all other aspects :D :teehee: :heart: xxx

KathyinCali
02-20-2007, 01:24 PM
There's one missing.

The Newbie Knitter: Really enjoys knitting, doesn't have the slightest idea what he/she is doing, but plods ahead regardless.

That would be me. :rofl:

I'm with Mason. Not a clue but loving the act of knitting...

Debra Michelle
02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
I'd have to say I'm an organic missionary too. I was very disappointed today becasue my newest "Student" forgot to bring her knitting to work with her. Hmpff. :)

And I've only swatched once, in my first knitting class becasue the teacher made me.