PDA

View Full Version : Pomatomus Socks

Pages : 1 [2]

carmabelle1191
05-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry about your hands.. are you knitting to tight maybe? I hope they feel better soon...
I am a very tight knitter, and I know I knit too tight, but that's how I feel comfortable knitting (most of the time...). My hands stopped hurting a few hours after I stopped the socks, so they haven't hurt at all for the past few days since I've switched to a different pair of socks on size 5s. I think it's just the combination of my tight knitting, tiny needles, and fancy stitches that get me. :wall:

CateKnits
05-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry about your hands.. are you knitting to tight maybe? I hope they feel better soon...
I am a very tight knitter, and I know I knit too tight, but that's how I feel comfortable knitting (most of the time...). My hands stopped hurting a few hours after I stopped the socks, so they haven't hurt at all for the past few days since I've switched to a different pair of socks on size 5s. I think it's just the combination of my tight knitting, tiny needles, and fancy stitches that get me. :wall:

Are you using metal needles? I had the same problem and found that needles with a little more 'give' helped my hands to not hurt.

carmabelle1191
05-09-2007, 08:43 AM

Are you using metal needles? I had the same problem and found that needles with a little more 'give' helped my hands to not hurt.
Yup. They're Addis. :wall: :doh:

domiknitrix
05-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I have a question, I want to knit this sock for my 13 year old daughter who wears a size 7, but the directions is for a size 9 shoe. Can someone tell me how to resize.

Thanks a bunch.

SandraEllen
05-14-2007, 12:28 PM
actually, it's really easy. you just knit until you're about 2" shorter than the foot length and then start the toe decreases.

domiknitrix
05-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks alot. I am so ready to start these socks.

Lieke
05-15-2007, 02:28 AM
I'm finally making real progress on the socks. I've got a week of and I can knit at home now. I gave my mom the first sock last sunday (mothersday) and promised her I'd finish the other one as quick as possible. I'm now working on the gusset, so I'm doing fine (considering that I had only 1 pattern repeat of the leg finished when I started on sunday)

Lieke
05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
they are done! finally!

My mom already took them, before I was able to take pics, but well, the second one looks just like the first one (no way :P)

I'm so happy they are finished. Altough I liked the pattern, it seemed like it were neverending socks. I've already started some new socks, in stockinette stitch. I want something easy now.

...dotty...
06-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Hello, everyone; I hope this thread isn't totally over !

I was waiting on my yarn, before I could join in, and now that I'm working on the socks, I thought I'd 'weigh in'.

So, although most of you have finished long ago, I'll go ahead and post for any others who may still be interested.

I've finished one sock, after much backtracking and restarts ! I'm pretty pleased with the finished results, and have reached the middle of the second sock's heel.

Reading this thread from the beginning before I started actually helped me quite a bit, and when I finish the second sock, I plan on coming back to this thread to share the tips that helped me. Some I got from this thread, and some I came up with through the experience of knitting this pattern myself.

But for now, I've included a link for a picture of the first completed sock.:cheering:http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/530699895/

My yarn is from a shop on Etsy, called ThankEwe, and the colorway is called 'Watermelon'. Sort of appropriate, I thought !

dustinac
06-06-2007, 09:02 PM
:blooby:Love that color!!! :happydance:

I'm still working on these.. I was doing really good and then got side tracked with other projects.. I'm hoping next week I can work on them.. and hopefully remeber the foot pattern.. took me awhile to get it down the last time i worked on them :teehee:

Lieke
06-07-2007, 03:10 AM
That looks really great. I love your name for it.

NinaT
06-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm at exactly the same place as you! I'm just about to turn the heel of my second. I used KnitPicks Dancing. I'll post pix as soon as I finish.

geekgolightly
06-13-2007, 07:53 PM
i'm enjoying knitting these socks, but i'm so sad to see great big holes where the yarn overs are. what can i do to prevent that? i see some pictures and there aren't any holes in your socks and some where there are. :pout: help!

five_six
06-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi everyone... I've just started knitting these and I think I'm a dunce. I just keep staring at the chart like an idiot, but I can't seem to get it to fall into place in my head, let alone on my needles. I'm trying to work chart B for the foot, and am at row 6, where you have an that little 'arrow' part of the chart that juts out from the rest of the pattern. Now I know we are supposed to work this chart for the foot cause apparently using chart A won't make it square, but how does leaving off stitches from the front of the chart and replacing them at the end make it square? Wouldn't it just create an area at the front with no stitches and an area at the back, going over onto the foot, that does have stitches... I feel like I'm missing something basic, but it's just not clicking for me, so any guidance would be really, really, appreciated. I've been tempted to just take that chunk of stitches, and move them to the blank area of stitches at the front, but this would just make it Chart A, and we aren't supposed to use that one. This is doing my little head in!!

AmandaC
06-18-2007, 06:44 AM
all I can say is 'trust the pattern' .... it works out .... even if you don't understand how ....

five_six
06-18-2007, 07:13 AM
so what would ordinarily have been the first pattern stitch is now a blank box... do i just slip these stitches?

AmandaC
06-18-2007, 07:16 AM
no - the first stitch on the new chart (with the thick black line round it - or the first not empty box) will still be the first stitch on your needle.

ignore the blank boxes ..... the pattern just shifts to the left.

sorry - I hope I'm explaining this correctly ....

five_six
06-18-2007, 09:58 PM
k... i think i get it, so the whole pattern is moving over by one stitch, then another, etc... so I will just knit the first now non patterned stitch in stockinette like I have for the sole of my foot I'm guessing. I shall give this a go and see how it works out, but I'm still not sure how it won't end up on the side of my foot (the pattern that is shifting that is), but I shall 'trust the pattern' and give it a shot!.

Thanks Amanda

...dotty...
06-19-2007, 12:00 AM
No, when you get to the instep needle and rounds 6 through 16, you don't fill in the blanks with stockinette...........you just do the first stitch shown (yes, it's farther over there to the left, but don't LOOK at that, just knit the first thing you see inside the traveling bold black line. One round 6, the first stitch on that needle will be a purl (although, I put a stitch marker to the right of that stitch, and bring the last knit stitch over from the previous needle, so that I don't have to start a needle with a purl stitch. Knit the stitches in the right hand section once, then the ones in the middle section TWICE, then, the 'extra looking' stitches on the left. It won't move over into the sole of the sock !

five_six
06-19-2007, 12:55 AM
excellent Dotty. Thank you, that's exactly the info I needed. I have modified these a bit to be toe-up, but I'm doing the chart the same way it appears so I guess my scales will jut out in the opposite direction to everyone who has done it cuff down, and I'm only doing one pattern repeat in the middle section, BUT, your answer has completely clarified my problem. The chart is travelling, but my work isn't!! I'll just ignore those blank boxes and knit the pattern over the same stitches I've been using! Makes perfect sense now.

Thank you :notworthy:

Oh, and I'm doing it magic loop, so as if that all wasn't enough to do my head in, the chart was just the icing on the cake! Lol!

...dotty...
06-19-2007, 02:12 AM
:cheering:Oh, I'm so glad I could be helpful...........especially since I can't do the magic loop method well to save my life. I got the worst 'railroad tracks' you've ever seen when I tried both magic loop, and knitting on two circulars !

As far as the big holes that occur, I found that I could stick my needle into the surrounding stitches of the bigger beginning yarnovers (next to the sole stitches) and work it around to redistribute some of the sizing, and actually make the hole smaller. But my leading yarnover was always bigger than I would have preferred. I like the idea that someone had of doing m1's instead of yarnovers, but I wasn't adept enough at making m1p's, so I didn't do that. I did find that if I forgot to make a yarnover on a round, I could pick it up on the next row by picking up the yarn between the two stitches where it should have been. I believe someone said that your yarnovers would work out smaller if you did this on purpose each time, but I was afraid I would forget and not make it in the proper place. Not enough experience here to make too many changes.

It helped me immensely to 'blow up' the charts and make them as big as my printer would allow (200 % for Chart A, and 125% for Chart B).

And I wound up taking a highlighter pen and highlighting round 6 of Chart B, so that I would remember to make the yarnover at the end.........I forgot it two different times, and wound up knitting 3 or 4 rounds past it each time, which of course I had to rip back.

I used stitch markers to let me arrange the stitches so that I NEVER had to start a needle with a purl stitch. That helped alot in avoiding 'tracks'. It WAS interesting to learn that I COULD make yarnovers at the beginning or end of a needle.

...dotty...
06-19-2007, 02:34 AM
By the way, here are the finished pictures of my socks.........I forgot to post them, .......... I started them around May 28th and finished around June 9th................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/537327599/

I don't seem to be able to downsize my photos properly to upload them directly here, so you can just have a look at them on my flickr page. Feel free to browse my 'knitting set' to see the other socks I've knitted. I am obsessed with sock knitting now !

five_six
06-19-2007, 02:37 AM
makes me wonder why the chart wasn't just written as a rectangle still tho :shrug: I guess they like to confuse people like me! Funny you know, magic loop is the only way I've been able to get rid of my 'railroad tracks'

Edited: I love your Pom's, they are gorgeous!

domiknitrix
06-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Quick Question.

Chart A: Am I suppose to do it three times? I don't want to mess up and I want to make sure. After doing it the second time it says start at **. Just want to clarify. Thanks!!:??

...dotty...
06-19-2007, 11:18 AM
:thumbsup: Yes, the pattern does call for you to do a third set of Chart A.......just do the same thing you did when you started it the second time. Of course, you can make the sock leg shorter, if you like, by just going on to the heel at this point. I was using a 440 yard skein of sock yarn, and I wound up with 70 yards left over after knitting both socks from the pattern, as written.

minder
06-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I really want to join in and knit these, but the pattern looks sooooo scary. I may need you to hold my hand. :)

Amanda

...dotty...
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Do,........ do,........DO start these socks ! :hug:Their bark is much worse than their bite, and I'll be here for you.........you can even 'private message' me for help !

It REALLY helped me to go through Chart A once on worsted weight yarn.......I know that sounds worse than swatching, (and I hate swatching), but I tried the pattern first in sock yarn, and got confused, but when I tried it in worsted weight, I could actually 'see' what I was doing and what the pattern was 'supposed' to do ! Then when I went on to sock yarn, I 'got it' !

Then someone on flickr gave me some very good advice, and told me not to get 'over confident'. Keep your mind on the pattern ! Seriously, it's not a HARD pattern, but it requires paying attention. But, the SECOND sock is a BREEZE !AND, the finished product yields BIG TIME bragging rights, so it's well worth the extra effort, I think !:thumbsup:

dustinac
06-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I finished one sock :happydancing: now gotta find time to do the other..

The only part I had trouble with was making it more difficult than what it was.. I was reading to much into the charts or something.. once I quit doing that I had no problem and found the pattern very easy to memorize.. stitch markers helped me as well..:thumbsup:

minder
06-20-2007, 02:17 PM
ok...you've twisted my arm. I'll give them a go. Now should I cast on tonight (have had a glass of wine) or would tomorrow be safer? :lol:

minder
06-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Well..that will teach me not to be so impatient. I cast on my first Pomatomus last night in a Fyberspates Alpaca sock yarn. I didn't have 2.75 mm needles so took a chance with 3mm's. Well, neither needles nor yarn where perfect for the project - and it showed. Had planned on doing first pattern repeat to be sure I didn't like it (alpaca wasn't good for stitch definition and YOs too big from 3mm) but somewhere in round 9 I noticed my stitch count was out. I then found out the hard way that this yarn isn't far behind KSH for ease of tinking. Soooo, I will be order myself some more yarn and needles and have another go very soon.:rollseyes:

...dotty...
06-21-2007, 03:31 PM
The first time I tried the pattern, my stitch count got off too, and I COULD NOT FIGURE OUT where I had missed something !

I WOULD NOT want to be using a 'hairy' yarn at all, because I DID do a bit of 'tinking' myself !

lissalue
06-21-2007, 06:55 PM
i think i am going to start these when i finish a few things. do you think they would show up well in number 719 from TOFUtsies (http://www.soysilk.com/tofutsies.html) or is it too multi-colored to show the pattern well?

...dotty...
06-21-2007, 10:17 PM
I think that yarn might work okay. When I first clicked the link, I saw the multi-color, and was worried; but then I found the color number you mentioned.........I think that would probably actually look really good. I've only recently seen ONE color that I didn't think worked. I would suggest that you search 'POMATOMUS SOCKS' on flickr, and look at some of the different colors it has been knitted in before you make up your mind.

Looking back over this thread will give you some good ideas as well, but of course you've probably just looked at those.

lissalue
06-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks dotty. i got a good i dea of what works, and most of the colors close to mine looked really good. so, i will be casting on for these as soon as i finish some other stuff!!! :cheering:

Jess_knit
06-22-2007, 11:29 PM
I started these socks in early March, and after several months of avoiding them, I have finished...the first sock. It looks good, too, and since it's summer break, odds are I'll finish the second sock soon. Yippee!

...dotty...
06-22-2007, 11:32 PM
:yay:Hurry..............HURRY ! ! ! :heart:

I wanna see !

jo at celticmemory
06-24-2007, 03:27 AM
Pomatomus has to be the most beautiful design yet! Totally smitten by it when I saw an example knitted by Lene of Dances With Wool and had to start immediately (despite rather a lot of other WIPs).

Now past the heel on Sock One and adjusting to that rather fiddly change in the pattern on the foot to ensure it lies straight.

Using a hand-dyed BFL light sockweight in pale greens - can't wait to try Pomatomus in creamy white, maybe just tinged here and there with pink.

(Actually I'm not supposed to be knitting Pomatomus at ALL! I'm part of the Summer of Socks and since I'd started P before that opened, they don't really count. But I can't resist them!)

...dotty...
06-24-2007, 04:59 PM
:thumbsup: Yes !

It's just that kind of pattern.......when you see it you want to try it, and then when you read that it's not as hard as it looks, you HAVE to try it !

It totally appeals to the quilter in me, since I've quilted those arcs in to many a quilt over the years !

But what pushed me over the edge was when I read in someone's blog that it was the first sock they ever knitted ! Since I had knitted 6 or 7 at that point, I just KNEW I had to try it...........so glad I did !

Next time, I'm going to try replacing the yarn overs with make ones, to see what mine will look like with no holes !:knitting:

...dotty...
06-24-2007, 05:00 PM
:wall:Forgot to say..................I love them in that green !

jeanius80
06-24-2007, 05:23 PM
:inlove:hmm i love love love these socks! i just started a pair (well, the first of a pair) of the jaywalkers, and these are next!
what do you think of patons kroy in the 'krazy stripes' #54801? (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=kroysocks) too busy? otherwise i might just use the tofutsies in light foot #730 (http://www.soysilk.com/tofutsies.html)(a pale pink and white mix) ...

...dotty...
06-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I like your second :heart:choice, best, myself ! But it is a pretty strong design and seems to 'hold its own' in most colorways !

jeanius80
06-24-2007, 07:32 PM
thanks dotty! i love your pretty greens sox!:inlove:
btw, i am no good at reading charts, does anyone know if the pomatomus charts been writen out ? i reallllllly want to do this sock, and it looks easy. i just cannot read a chart :pout:

dustinac
06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
jo~ That looks great!!

I need to get a better picture of mine :teehee:... I need to quit taking my own photos prolly.. my 2nd is still on the cuff :rollseyes: I gotta get both civil war shawls up to week 4 so I can move on :happydancing:

jeanius80~ I'm not sure if it is.. I tried googling to see but nothing yet..

I did find one blog (http://www.catduck.com/Clog/SyndicationService.asmx/GetRssCategory?categoryName=Socks%7CPomatomus)that gave her tips on trying the pattern toe up... you gotta scroll down some.

I didn't like charts either, but once I got them down I found it a lot easier than written instructions. If you do give it a try and get lost on the charts someone will be here to help ya :thumbsup:

...dotty...
06-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Oh, do give the chart a try.............take my earlier advice and try it on a sample in bigger worsted yarn. You'll be hooked for sure. I don't have that much experience at all, and it was pretty self explanatory. Charts for flat knitting are more difficult, because the stitches are different depending on whether you're knitting across or purling back, but in the round, a chart is a breeze. I agree with the remark that it's actually easier than instructions written out, because you can see it all at a glance ! :thumbsup:

jeanius80
06-25-2007, 01:55 AM
ok ok ok twist my arm! :teehee:
as soon as i finish my jaywalkers, i'll start these.i think i will practice the pattern chart with some caron simply soft ... anyone do a M1 inplace of the YO to make a less 'lacey' sock? i like it as is... just curious as to what the difference would look like TIA

...dotty...
06-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Sorry, for not getting back to you sooner !

I wish this site kept me logged in ! Sometimes I just don't have time to go through the whole process for a quick reply !
:??

It seems like someone way back earlier in this thread was making their Pomatomusesesesesesessessssssss.......with 'make ones' in the place of 'yarnovers'. I tried to search flickr for a picture but apparently the abbreviation means something else.

I'm going to try that on my next pair, probably, in a solid, maybe. I just need to practice making m1p's, since half the time they will be a purl stitch !:shrug:

dustinac
06-27-2007, 08:59 AM
I only did YOs when I was starting the next pattern or at the beginning.. the rest of the time I did the YO on the next row by doing a M1... Cookie A. gave this tip on a knitty gritty show to get the YOs smaller.. it worked and you can tell where I didn't use it... :thumbsup:

I couldn't understand why I had to basically re-work the pattern for my first sock... and then when I finally went to start the 2nd pattern yesterday it happened again...:wall: then I noticed... it was CO so many and do a P1,K1... I had done a K1, P1... :rollseyes: I must learn to slow down and read... not assume...it did work out though with not as much headache as the other sock.. I just moved the P1 over one lol and it some how came out...:teehee:

...dotty...
06-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Yes, I read about that method........waiting until the following row to pick up the yarnover, so that it would be smaller. But I want to make a pair with the yarnovers totally replaced by 'make ones', so that there are no holes at all. I think someone said that they had done that also.:shrug:

Tonight I just finished my "Child's French Sock"s, and added a picture to the other thread.........the one called "Is anyone knitting Nancy Bush?":happydancing:

So, here I sit with empty needles and a just received copy of Stitch n Bitch (the first book)...........hmmmmm........wonder what I should get into next ?:lol:

dustinac
06-28-2007, 05:04 PM
:woot:They are done.. and I like them a lot... I might try the m1 next time too.. although it doesn't really bother me it seems to be one section that has larger YOs... the rest seem pretty small...:teehee:

The 2nd pair was so much easier... the first pair I really had trouble in the beginning... didn't realize it was my own fault till I finally got to pick the 2nd sock up again.. I had already did the first 10 rnds when I realized my error of a k1,p1... simple fix and here ya go... fast and again I was pretty much able to take this with me to the dr/library today for story time...

KP's bare that I dyed... size 1 needles...

...dotty...
06-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh, that is the prettiest colorway..........I can't believe you dyed it yourself ! Congrats ! Those socks are SO PRETTY !

I played around today with dyeing using KoolAid.........I just had a little natural colored 39 yard skein of Alpaca to play with, and hit it with some Strawberry. It's drying on the shower head right now. I wish I had had some LIME !

I wasn't prepared for the smell of baked Alpaca that is permeating my kitchen ..........:lol:.....shoo-weeeeeee !:ick:

dustinac
06-28-2007, 11:23 PM
:rofling: it does stink...On the oven I don't notice it as much for some reason... but when I tried dying in the microwave it was :ick: ... I use KPs dyes too... I'm not usually a fan of those colors I used for the sock below.. I like the dark colors... for some reason now I'm digging the lighter colors :shrug:

One of the reasons I have purses and coin purses waiting to be felted... cause of the smell... I should do it now since I could lay them outside to dry during the day... :teehee:

...dotty...
06-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Just took it down from the shower head, and it looks so much better dry ! I thought the color was going to be dark and dull, but this is pretty !:muah:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/663388136/in/photostream/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/663388136/in/photostream/)

I've got to go and get me some blue, green and purple.........and come up with a 'ready to dye' skein of sock yarn ! What's the best (read, most affordable) source?:shrug:

jeanius80
06-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Just took it down from the shower head, and it looks so much better dry ! I thought the color was going to be dark and dull, but this is pretty !:muah:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/663388136/in/photostream/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/663388136/in/photostream/)

I've got to go and get me some blue, green and purple.........and come up with a 'ready to dye' skein of sock yarn ! What's the best (read, most affordable) source?:shrug:
i like knitpick.com for undyed yarns, as well as wool2dye4.com. i looove dyeing yarn :heart:

lissalue
06-29-2007, 05:02 PM
i was going to suggest knitpicks. they have superwash wool yarn for socks there. it is called KP Bare, and then you just decide superwash or not and what weight you want. I am ordering some bulky weight next week.

...dotty...
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the leads girls.............after taking a look at the yarns I have and the money I've spent on them lately, I think I'll hold off on the dyeing. It sure could become addictive though !

I'm wondering right now if switching to casein or bamboo needles would make my hands stop hurting. I've held off knitting for the last 3 days, seeing if I could get the ache to totally go away, but it is still lingering a little. :?? It's in the 'ball' at the base of each pinky finger. I think the aluminum needles may just be a bit too 'ungiving':rollseyes:, but I think I would probably snap right through bamboos in a size 1 !:cry: