PDA

View Full Version : OT - Pet Stains - Which Cleaner?

Jeep_Girl
02-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Any recommendations for a rug cleaner for things like pet throw up?

Thanks!

Cristy
02-17-2007, 10:30 AM
I tend to use just plain ole' carpet shampoo but one time I used Oxy-Gen (I think that's what it's called--blue bottle--by Bissel maybe...you add it to your carpet shampoo) and I loved it. It's just a little pricey so we don't buy it much.

Jeep_Girl
02-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I had some "pet stain" stuff but it didn't work. I also used Woolite for the carpet and that didn't work either. :pout:

HamaLee
02-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Not sure about particular brands, but if you still have residue or smell after you clean--baking soda is a wunderkind for all kinds of smells, etc! You can get Arm&Hammer rug deoderizer stuff (with Pet Hair release too!) made just for pet odors and it comes in different scents. Sprinkle on the rug, let it sit, vacuum it up.

You can also just go with straight baking soda. I clean everything with it....my hair, my face, and dog-smelly rugs!

Jeep_Girl
02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
It is leaving a "yellow" stain that I can't seem to get out. I'll try the baking soda!

kellyh57
02-17-2007, 11:11 AM
We used to use some stuff called "Nature's Miracle" I think. It was in a white bottle with a red lid. It smells really fruity and does the job wonders! We had to get it at the pet store (Petco/Petsmart). It's pretty pricey, but I love the smell of it and how well it works. We had problems with our dog peeing on the same spot because she didn't like the stuff we were using to clean it until we got this stuff.

Kelly

HamaLee
02-17-2007, 11:16 AM
If it's a stain you could try mixing up a paste of baking soda and water to scrub into the rug--but be careful, it could bleach out the color of your rug.

XbelovedXoneX
02-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I use "spot shot" for all stains... it's a miracle worker! It comes in a big blue can with an orange cap.

Newfygirl
02-17-2007, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem with one of my pets - I use a mixture of white vinegar and water

CarmenIbanez
02-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Urine Gone is an excellent one for any biological stains. It has enzymes that eat the bad stuff out of the pee, poop or throw up. It does not always get all the yellow out, though. Were you guys saying that white vinegar will take out the yellow?

letah75
02-17-2007, 01:35 PM
A little bit of OxyClean or Sun Oxy cleaner water and white vinager.

I use this combo for anything and got up a HUGE pink KoolAid stain out of a white carpet in 10 minutes.

Newfygirl
02-17-2007, 01:36 PM
If the stain is really bad, I will usually go over it a couple of times with the white vinegar and water mixture and blot up the excess with paper towels. This method has worked for me so far (and I have two cats and a LARGE dog)

Jeep_Girl
02-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I haven't been able to go out & buy anything yet - so I just tried the white vinegar & water. I'll let you guys know once everything is completely dry.

Belphoebe
02-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Having had some less than polite kitties in my lifetime, I have found the best way to remove both the stain and odor is by using X-O Plus+. If you totally soak the carpet or cloth, I mean REALLY soak it good, the smell comes right out. I have even added it to my laundry to clean items that have been "marked." Needless to say, the kitties were sent to live outside and my carpet/clothes/items stayed in the house.

http://www.xocorp.com/

orcoastknitter
02-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I have 3 cats 1 dog and a 6 month old puppy. I know about pet stains. I used to use Nature's Miracle, Get Serious, Kids N' Pets, they got pricey after a while. Now I use just plain ol' white vinegar and water. To help clean up stains. It's cheaper but a little bit stinky, but the smell doesn't last long.

I have a few yellow spots on my light beige carpeting. I asked a friend that lays carpet and he told me just to use straight hot water nothing else.

So I tried it on some old (2 years) yellow stains and you know what no more yellow stains and it's been a week. Let the spot dry completely before walking on it. I covered mine with a old vinyl tablecloth so that dirt didnt' soak into the damp spots.

That is just my two cents, on the subject.

purlwise
02-17-2007, 11:02 PM
I've tried everything on the market, trust me. The best thing I have ever used, and if it breaks I'll run out and buy and new one, is the machine called the "SpotBot". Use that baby with the Bissel Pet stain remover cleaner and the Bissel Oxy-Gen, and you will have no stain or odor. Works on throw-up and urine stains. And I have off-white carpet!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Just rub his nose in it until the stain is gone.

Jan in CA
02-17-2007, 11:22 PM

:nails:

:teehee:

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 12:17 AM
I've used Spray n Wash and it works as well as most of the pet odor removers which smell vile .. I have used Nature's Miracle with mixed results ..... vinegar and water takes out the smell as well (my mom was a firm believer in vinegar and water for ANYTHING) but I'm not sure about the stain ....

Toby

Jeep_Girl
02-18-2007, 12:37 AM

That made me laugh. If only that would work.

The vinegar and water took out some of the stain. Not all. I also tried it on a old stain too. The one is on a white shaggy carpet and the other is on a celery green carpet.

Cristy
02-18-2007, 12:40 AM
I swear you need to try the oxy-gen stuff....I don't know if I agree about the spotbot...I have one and I don't think it works all that wonderfully but that's probably b/c I have a full size carpet shampooer and nothing "little" works as well. The oxy-gen stuff usually comes as a sample w/ the spotbotd--that's where I got mine but you can purchase it separately at the drug store, grocery store or walmart.

For wet stains--like if you catch your animal in the act, you can dump salt on it (I mean like a small mountain of salt) and it'll soak it all up--color and all. Then you just vacuum up the salt. My aunt taught me that (she has 13 dogs, a pig and 2 cats!). The other up side to the salt trick is that salt is REALLY cheap comparatively!!

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Cristy,

The salt trick is a new one to me. With us training my dd's newly adopted puppy, I'll tuck this one away.

BTW, how is your ds sleeping these days?

Cristy
02-18-2007, 12:45 AM
I love the salt trick--but the key is the urine has to be wet so it'll soak it up!

sleeping is getting somewhat better--two nights ago he slept for two 3 hour stretches w/ a 45 min. nursing session in between. Last night he slept 2 hours, was up 2 hours, BUT THEN...he slept almost 4 hours!! YAY!! He's napped a lot today (we were at the mall for a long time and he sleeps well in his comfy stroller w/ lots of background noise) so I'm a little worried about tonight...

niffer
02-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I cheated and laid vinyl and laminate flooring!

After you've got rid of the stain, if it was toilet related and not an obvious accident, wipe the area over with either lemon juice or white pepper. The smell puts the animals off marking there again.
Works best with cats.

Also, ground them for a week and don't give them any pocket money or sweeties for at least a month.
That'll show 'em!

:heart:

sittenknitten
02-18-2007, 10:50 AM
We've had a rough 2 weeks lately with our 15-year-old schuanzer following dental surgery and several medications that make her both nauseous and squirty.....

Oxyclean is doing the best job in terms of removing all traces of the spots that are visible. Unfortunately, on my nearly white carpet, it also shows just how much the rest of the carpet could use a cleaning. :teehee:

When she finally gets stable and off medication I'm going to have to get the entire carpet cleaned, we have round white "clean" spots all over the place.

Jeep_Girl
02-18-2007, 10:58 AM
My dogs just had dental cleaning too - hence the problems. Luckilly no teeth had to be pulled this time.

figaro
02-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I only thing I like to get rid of stains is Folex and unfortunatly I cannot find it here yet. I found out about it by calling a carpet cleaning company and asked them what I can use to get rid of spot stains and this is what they used themselves. I have used it to get rid of new and old stains in my old ugly green carpet and it worked everytime. I may have to have my mom send me one if I cannot find it here.

I have tried other products, Woolite Pet Stain Remover, Scotch Gard Upholstery Cleaner among many others and the stains I used them on are still there. Not so with Folex.

So I vote for Folex.

CarmenIbanez
02-18-2007, 01:23 PM
For me it is all about how old the stains are. Folex and Oxyclean and all of those seem to work on any new stain. It's the old ones I don't see for a while (like under the bed), darn small dogs!!

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 02:21 PM
he sleeps well in his comfy stroller w/ lots of background noise) so I'm a little worried about tonight...

Maybe you need to make a recording of the "mall noise" to play at night.

:teehee:

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I usually use Folex and Spot Shot, but old yellow stains are really hard. I HAVE used the Oxyclean and it works pretty well, but seemed to leave a residue.. :??

nadja la claire
02-18-2007, 03:14 PM

That's not a solution, it's a disgusting and cruel practice :!!!: :fingerwag:

I use my Bissel steam cleaner.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

miccisue
02-19-2007, 11:09 AM

I use my Bissel steam cleaner.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Ummmm, I think he was making a joke....stop and think how long one would have to rub a dog's nose in a spot until the stain is gone. No human I know could stand to be... a. bent over b. on their hands and knees or c. pushing a dog's head down......for that amount of time.

Yes, punishing them by rubbing their nose in their mistake is cruel......but this was obviously a lighthearted reply based on that old school punishment.

I thought it was pretty clever, myself.

Jan in CA
02-19-2007, 03:02 PM

I'm fairly certain he was kidding. :teehee:

purlwise
02-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Yes the OxyGen is great, and I will again rally for the SpotBot. Yes, you can turn the SpotBot on and walk away (best for a light surface stain) , but the better use for it is using it manually. First use the manual hose to suck up excess urine on the carpet, then saturate with the Oxygen and the Bissel Pet Stain Remover cleaner and keep using the suction hose to get up the cleaner and spot.

A couple of notes, when the dog or cat pees on the carpet, unless the carpet is stain treated, the pee goes all the way down to the ticking in the carpet. When you just clean the surface it looks great for a while, but eventually the stain that is still at the base of the carpet is sucked back up to the top, that is why a stain sometimes "reappears". That is why you really have to blot heavily or get something like a carpet cleaning machine with a suction hose and nozzle that you can really get to the base of the carpet.

Someone mentioned that their cleaner left a "residue". Unfortunately almost all the cleaners do. The problem is that the residue, whether you can feel it or not, is now a "magnet" for other dirt. Like if you had a sticky spot on your kitchen floor and people keep walking on it, you get a spot where dirt or whatever is sticking to it. Whenever you spot clean with a cleaner, once you have the stain up, rinse the spot with plain water to get some of the residue up, it really helps. I usually rinse with water and then use the SpotBot on manual to suck up the excess water.

Like a said, I have off white carpet, two greyhounds and a very long haired cat. I am constantly dealing with, LOL, throw-up, hairballs, some blood from cut paws (the greyhounds like to run around outside like nuts), and the occassional pee accident on the carpet. My carpet has no stains, and apparently no smell. I ask good friends sometimes when they come in because I am hugely paranoid about it!