PDA

View Full Version : New look? or just my computer?

Jackie M.
02-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Has the look of the forums changed? They are too big for my screen now. I can't get the whole screen showing and have to scoot over to see it all. :shrug:

dustinac
02-17-2007, 10:43 AM
:teehee: I was wondering the same thing... only way it looks like it did is in reply...

Jeep_Girl
02-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't think they've changed...

DQ
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
It's bigger on my screen too, I have to scroll across all of the time :shrug:

kristinw
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks the same to me :shrug:

Lisa Kay
02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Wider on my screen, too. :shrug:

brendajos
02-17-2007, 10:56 AM
It has been doing it to me since last night. There is a knitting help logo on both sides of the screen sometimes which has made the screen wider. :)

Angelia
02-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Wider here, too! The scrolling is making my eyes :eyes:

kellyh57
02-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Didn't there used to be ads on the side? Maybe I'm imagining something. I really don't like the "new" look. I can fit it all on my screen, but I have a wide screen. (Most windows I keep open and still see my icons on the desktop to the left.) I was getting a headache last night trying to read so far across. Weird.

Kelly

kristinw
02-17-2007, 11:09 AM
It is weird that it looks the same for me :??

newwooley
02-17-2007, 11:17 AM
It's wider on my screen too! Has anyone emailed Amy about it?

Julie
02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
It looks exactly the same to me :shrug:

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Looks normal to me. :shrug:

mwedzi
02-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh, shoot. I just posted a separate thread about this. :oops: I bet the people whose screens it looks the same on have wider screens (17"+) while those who it's showing up different for have smaller screens, like me. It doesn't look different on my computers at work, which are bigger, but definitely have to scroll for my home computer (15").

kristinw
02-17-2007, 11:22 AM
What browser is everyone using? I use Firefox.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 11:24 AM
What browser is everyone using? I use Firefox.

I was just wondering if it's a browser related rendering problem. I also use Firefox.

Julie
02-17-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm in Firefox too....and I do have a big monitor.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Actually the monitor size wouldn't have anything to do with it. It looks exactly the same on my desktop PC with a large monitor as it does on my smaller laptop screen.

kristinw
02-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Well thats 3 of us so far with no problems who use Firefox.

mwedzi
02-17-2007, 11:31 AM
I use IE exclusively at home. Problem here and small monitor. I often use IE at work and no problem there, big monitor. I can't remember which browser I was using at work, though. I just opened up an old version of Mozilla here at home with small monitor and no problem there.

XbelovedXoneX
02-17-2007, 11:32 AM
I had problems at work using IE, but no problems at home with firefox!

mwedzi
02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
hmm, so the problem is with IE? of course, other forums I visit are still loading up normally, so some new change on these forums that is not compatible with IE?

Jackie M.
02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
IE here....Amy! Help us IE users! What is Firefox? I've never heard of it.

mwedzi
02-17-2007, 11:44 AM
IE here....Amy! Help us IE users! What is Firefox? I've never heard of it.

Firefox is another browser under the Mozilla umbrella. Mozilla has several. People like Firefox for lots of reasons, one of them being that it is not prone to viral attacks as often. Microsoft products are often the target of viruses. I prefer IE in general because, like other Microsoft products, it's usually compatible with a greater variety of stuff, especially international stuff. But I do mean to download Firefox or Safari (they are both free) at some point, when I feel like giving over the hour or two it takes to install a new browser on dial-up.

cookworm
02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Has the look of the forums changed? They are too big for my screen now. I can't get the whole screen showing and have to scoot over to see it all. :shrug:

Me too--I thought it was just my computer! :hair:

Jessica
02-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Mine is doing the same thing since last night and its driving me crazy :wall:

Doublereeder2
02-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Mine looks too wide also. :shrug:

auburnchick
02-17-2007, 12:22 PM
It sounds like something happened with the web software. I do a bit of web design/maintenance. That's the best I can guess.

FYI, I have IE and noticed a problem last night as well.

Stiney
02-17-2007, 12:23 PM
If it isn't an IE issue, it might be a screen resolution issue....higher resolutions usually go better on "bigger" monitors but not necessarily.

Safari and Firefox look okay to me, though. :thumbsup:

I only use IE at work. :ick:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-17-2007, 12:49 PM
FYI the mods are working on it. Here's what we've discussed:

The Main forum index is normal.

The index for each separate forum is wide, and so is each thread in those forums.

The reply page is normal.

It might be an "ad" issue... the ads used to be lined up vertically, and now they are lined up horizontally.

Amy has been notified!

Stiney
02-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Oohhh, wait, it is sliiiiiightly wider than normal. Just wider enough that the the sentence and sun quote in my sig fits on one line instead of two.

:hug:

Hooray for the Mod Squad and Amy!

letah75
02-17-2007, 01:01 PM
huge for me.

newwooley
02-17-2007, 01:03 PM
IE here. I haven't had this problem until yesterday!

sheldon
02-17-2007, 01:20 PM
There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission.

Sorry, I broke KH for all the IE users out there. I made some template changes last night that apparently IE couldn't handle. I use Firefox, which didn't display any problems. All should be well now for all the IE users now.

On the other hand, perhaps a few KHer's converted from IE to Firefox, which is always a good thing!

- Sheldon

Jackie M.
02-17-2007, 01:38 PM
:cheering: :happydance:

suzeeq
02-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I use Firefox and from time to time, posts in a particular thread will be strung out too wide, but it's not a universal problem.

sue

CarmenIbanez
02-17-2007, 01:58 PM
I use safari and didn't have any problems either!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 02:09 PM
IE is easily confused. :rofl:

Jan in CA
02-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I use Firefox and from time to time, posts in a particular thread will be strung out too wide, but it's not a universal problem.

sue

That's generally because someone posts a huge long link, but we fix those when we see them.

I use Firefox on a 17 in monitor and it looks fine to me. :shrug:

Yvonne
02-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I didn't try viewing this morning (when I noticed the wideness) in Firefox. I was on via AOL and it was too wide. Now, I'm on with AOL again and it's back to normal. Thanks for fixing it! :heart:

ArtLady1981
02-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Yesterday, Feb 16th, I noted that the pages loaded up the full width of my widescreen laptop.

Right now...I have purple side bars embracing the page...the side bars are 2.5"...about the width of a woman's 4 fingers.

Go figure.

nadja la claire
02-17-2007, 06:31 PM
I use FF and I haven't noticed anything different :shrug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

five_six
02-17-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah, it was bunky for me to with IE, but now it's all betta :muah: poor wittle forum...

bah, firefox, bah... I have it on my pc, just so that DH (do i have to put the D on that) can use firefox when he touches my stuff, but I always click my little IE button... some strange sense of loyalty to someone/thing who doesn't always have my best interests at heart, but I can't change, i won't change, you can't make me :waah:

suzeeq
02-17-2007, 07:18 PM
IE is easily confused. :rofl:

That's no lie. I have to use it at work and half the time, pages don't load for me the first time I try. Nor at home either, many times.

sue

Doublereeder2
02-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Knitting_Guy wrote:
IE is easily confused.

That's no lie. I have to use it at work and half the time, pages don't load for me the first time I try. Nor at home either, many times.

sue

Indeed! I have the same problems!! But since Windows just automatically downloaded and installed updates, everything is back to normal.
Go figure?! :doh:

Cristy
02-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Sorry, I broke KH for all the IE users out there. I made some template changes last night that apparently IE couldn't handle. I use Firefox, which didn't display any problems. All should be well now for all the IE users now.

- Sheldon

Isn't it interesting how IE is supposedly the "standard" browser (what "everyone" uses) but doesn't follow the typical rules when it comes to code??? I have the same problem w/ my website--I use firefox or safari (depending on the computer) and then I go to check my site on IE and there are really stupid glitches that I have to "learn" to fix just so that my site is screwy when you view it on IE...

Is it obvious I'm not an IE fan???

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Ok, ok...y'all's comments convinced me to install Firefox. My tech guy at work uses it too.

What do you like about it that's different from IE7?

Cristy
02-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Less viruses, less pop ups and what I love the most (which is apparently available w/ vista now--b/c microsoft has to COPY EVERYTHING and call it revolutionary...) is the "tabs" option. I use a Mac at home and safari has that feature so when I found that firefox has it--I immediately downloaded it to my laptop for use at work. Mostly, for me, it's the virus thing though. Most viruses are written for IE since it's the most widely used...

brendajos
02-18-2007, 01:07 AM
:shrug: It was different when it was wonky but it didn't make much difference to me because i have a wide screen and could see the whole thing. I am perfectly content with IE. I haven't had any problems with it in all the time i have used it. I could be ignorant about it but I am blissfully so, so that's okay with me! :teehee:

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Last question...

What font do you have Firefox set to display? This does NOT look like what I'm used to. I tried changing the font, but I can't seem to get it right.

Thanks!

Cristy
02-18-2007, 01:12 AM
:shrug: I could be ignorant about it but I am blissfully so, so that's okay with me! :teehee:

Hey--ignorance is truly bliss--seriously...I always say the more I learn the dumber I feel and the more frightened I become! For most users--IE is really the way to go b/c the whole world assumes you use it so everything is written to it's standard.

And as far as font goes...I dunno what's it's called--I think you can change it in preferences but I would assume that the font you see is overwritten by the page you are viewing...

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 01:15 AM
Actually I've been playing, and there's a box that you can un-check so that your settings override the page properties.

Cristy
02-18-2007, 01:17 AM
cool...you learn something new everyday..(or I do...) :)

suzeeq
02-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Last question...

What font do you have Firefox set to display? This does NOT look like what I'm used to. I tried changing the font, but I can't seem to get it right.

Thanks!

I think I just used the default fonts; I don't bother to change them. But since I switched from Netscape which was originally based on the Mozilla engine, it maybe looked the same to me.

sue

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Thanks y'all. I'll get used to it. The font just looks a little "machine-like" if YKWIM.

I'm actually noticing that the pages load much faster than IE. Very interesting...

As Cristy said, learn something new...even computer techs. ;)

suzeeq
02-18-2007, 01:50 AM
I think they load lots faster. IE has a lot of weird stuff in its code that slows it down.

sue

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Personally, I think that Firefox is the best web browser available right now. Seahorse is coming along, and a lot of people seem to like Opera (I can't stand it), but I feel that Firefox is the best standards compliant browser you can get.

Of course being a Linux user and into the whole open source thing could affect my view just a tad :rofl:

Dangles
02-18-2007, 02:05 AM
I use Firefox as well, and it's the same for me.

suzeeq
02-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Mason - Seahorse or Seamonkey? I've heard of Seamonkey, but not the other...

sue

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 11:54 AM

sue

Yeah you're right. It's seamonkey. I was tired.

suzeeq
02-18-2007, 12:00 PM

sue

Yeah you're right. It's seamonkey. I was tired.

Hey, I 've never typed the wrong thing when I was tired.... :eyebrow:

sue

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok...I lied. I have another question. :teehee:

Do you think there's any need to have IE installed on a computer, or can you just have Firefox? I'm assuming that web pages are (or at least should be) written for the different internet browsers, correct?

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Sadly there are still some web pages out there that will only display correctly on IE. Luckily, Firefox has an add-on that will allow you to open a tab in "IE" mode and will display that page correctly.

HamaLee
02-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I have the same problem w/ my website--

Not to hijack, but Cristy I just checked out your website and wanted to say hi to a field-colleague. I also work with kids on the Austism spectrum. Used to teach profound behavioral kids, now I do research with them and respite. Heading back to school so I can provide mental health care for spectrum kids and their families. Always happy to see or "meet" others in the field! :thumbsup:

Cristy
02-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi Hammalee :waving: Nice to find another me out there! I used to teach autism and sid/pid but I moved on out of the classroom and into this position about 5 years ago. I was lucky to get my training at a wonderful place (Emory Autism Center at Emory University) so it made me pretty sought after in my field despite the fact that I'm younger than 70% of the teachers I work with. Now I supervise the teachers who teach those babies--I love what I do b/c I get to teach others how to work w/ these kids AND there are still opportunities for me to be with the kids (I also tutor kids on the spectrum in my home).

Sorry again about the hijack!!

sheldon
02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Luckily, Firefox has an add-on that will allow you to open a tab in "IE" mode and will display that page correctly.

The extensions for Firefox are excellent and enable you to extend the features of the browser in so many ways. Once you start using Firefox with extensions, IE seems quite old school and archaic by comparison.

Among my favorites:

- Adblock - awesome ad blocker
- Forecast Fox - weather in your status bar
- ColorZilla - eye dropped color picked for web design
- CSSCiewer & EditCSS - more geek stuff
- FireFoxView - Loads links into IE for when I need to test something
- IE Tab - What knitting_guy mentioned
- MeasureIt - Ruler for measuring screen items
- Web Developer Toolbar - more geekiness
- BugMeNot - automates logging into those annoying news sites that ask you to subscribe for free so they can spam you.
- SEO for Firefox - extends google for search engine optimization
- StumbleUpon - a neat way of finding sites you might never find.

You can browse all the extensions here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions.php

If you're a web designer (or blogger, or a frequent Internet user, or merely human!), nothing beats firefox for the tools it places at your finger tips. It used to take me so long to measure an item on the screen or determine what color something was. With FF, it's always a click away.

And for those who are interested, here are the KH metrics on brower usage:

69% - Internet Explorer (boo!)
22.25% - Firefox (we can do better!)
6.25% - Safari
And all the rest is Netscape, Opera, and the rest.

As for screen resolutions:

51% - 1024 x 768
12% - 1280 x 1024
11% - 800 x 600
11% - 1280 x 800
4% - 1440 x 900 (wide screen!)
3% - 1152 x 864
2% - 1680x1050 (super widescreen!)

- Sheldon
[/url]

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Very interesting information! I'll have to print it out and allow it to seep in slowly. My head is full of my college class information right now! :teehee:

Thanks, Sheldon, for taking the time to post! :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 02:12 PM
My DH still uses IE and I'm not sure he can be taught a new trick. :teehee: I love Firefox though!

Very interesting facts, Sheldon! I'm one of the 12% that use 1280x1024.

five_six
02-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Very interesting facts, Sheldon! I'm one of the 12% that use 1280x1024.

Me too, although i used to run at larger than that, but my new graphics card doesn't seem to allow me to go any higher :verysad: I luuurrve 'real estate' :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Meh. I'm getting older and my eyes are getting weak. I'm one of the 800x600 folks just to make everything easier to read. My video card will do much higher but I have a hard time reading it.

five_six
02-18-2007, 09:48 PM
actually, those stats are pretty interesting. I design webpages and had just been saying to DH that i wasn't going to bother accomodating for the 800x600'ers anymore, as i just didn't think they still existed. But lookie, there they are, so I guess i still better build my pages so you guys can see them without scrolling for 6 years to see something!! :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah Dee, some of us can't see as well as we used to.

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 10:31 PM
actually, those stats are pretty interesting. I design webpages and had just been saying to DH that i wasn't going to bother accomodating for the 800x600'ers anymore, as i just didn't think they still existed. But lookie, there they are, so I guess i still better build my pages so you guys can see them without scrolling for 6 years to see something!! :teehee:

Oh gosh...I love 800x600. I reset all of my teachers' computers at school to this because they spend so much time on them that I don't want them ruining their eyes.

brendajos
02-18-2007, 10:32 PM
For the last several years when I have used my mother's computer I have always had to change the resolution because the size of fonts on her computer drove me crazy. Finally we had to change it because one of her sites didn't display right anymore with the bigger page. it still isn't as small as i like it but seriously... :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Meh. I'm getting older and my eyes are getting weak. I'm one of the 800x600 folks just to make everything easier to read. My video card will do much higher but I have a hard time reading it.

I just made all my text larger. :teehee:

sheldon
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
We're working on a new design for KH and one of my goals is to increase the accessibility of the web site (for folks with less than perfect eye sight, blind, etc.). There's a large movement in web design towards making the web accessible to everyone regardless of whether or not they can see. While the web is a visual medium, there are people who use screen readers to dictate on the screen what they can't read with their own eyes. So we are trying to take that into consideration. Also, closed captioning on the videos is another thing we are trying to implement as we upgrade the videos on the web site.

The new design will allow users to increase their font sizes via links on the pages and (possibly!) choose a color scheme for the web site. So all the girl knittters can choose the purple KH theme and all the boy knitters can choose orange or red. :wink: There's lots of things brewing here to KH headquarters!

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I appreciate your efforts Sheldon.

brendajos
02-18-2007, 11:34 PM
The new design will allow users to increase their font sizes via links on the pages and (possibly!) choose a color scheme for the web site. So all the girl knittters can choose the purple KH theme and all the boy knitters can choose orange or red. :wink: There's lots of things brewing here to KH headquarters!

Sheeeeeeeeesh talk about color sexism... :roll: I would TOTALLY switch to orange....:fingerwag:

:teehee: :muah:

Stiney
02-18-2007, 11:36 PM
I vote for red or blue! :teehee:

No steeenking peenking for me! :rofl:

redwitch
02-19-2007, 12:11 AM
The new design will allow users to increase their font sizes via links on the pages and (possibly!) choose a color scheme for the web site. So all the girl knittters can choose the purple KH theme and all the boy knitters can choose orange or red. There's lots of things brewing here to KH headquarters

That's great, can the boys also choose purple? And the girls red or orange?

If I can be stereotypical here... some might not want any of the girly colours, where's the damn blue option?
:teehee:

Sarah

Cristy
02-19-2007, 12:14 AM
dh, who is an avid Mac user, just explained to me that Mac's next operating system is supposed to allow for your resolution to be independent of font size, etc.....so you could run at a really high resolution but everything wouldn't be teeny tiny...! Cool for those geeks w/ bad eyes, huh? :)

I love geeks...I'm married to one...

sheldon
02-19-2007, 12:55 AM
where's the damn blue option?

Sarah

The default color theme will be purple in the spirit of the original KH. We must not forget our roots. The other choices will probably be based upon the colors found in the KH logo, namely orange and red, so as to not clash. If the color themes are popular I could be pursuades to add some others. Old blue would probably be next in the progression.

- Sheldon

Cristy
02-19-2007, 01:01 AM
lime green?

I just figured I'd throw in my thoughts while we are making requests...

redwitch
02-19-2007, 02:44 AM
That's okay... I was joking. Joke on the purple/red thing.
Sarah

Jan in CA
02-19-2007, 04:51 AM
I like pink. :shrug:

five_six
02-19-2007, 05:22 AM
i :heart: pink

Knitting_Guy
02-19-2007, 07:59 AM
dh, who is an avid Mac user, just explained to me that Mac's next operating system is supposed to allow for your resolution to be independent of font size, etc.....so you could run at a really high resolution but everything wouldn't be teeny tiny...! Cool for those geeks w/ bad eyes, huh? :)

I love geeks...I'm married to one...

I have that ability on my Linux desktop now, but somehow it just looks "funny" to me.