PDA

View Full Version : I Just Received A Bunch Of Needles

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:04 PM
My mother called a little while ago and asked me to come down to her place. She had been digging through some boxes and had found a whole bunch of old knitting needles (straights) that had once belonged to her best friend (my first baby sitter) who passed a way a couple of years ago. She wanted me to come and get them as she didn't think that she would ever use them.

There were a half dozen or so that didn't have mates, and 10 pairs of needles in various sizes. They're all aluminum which is a shame as I was kind of hoping at least some of them would be wood.

My straight needle collection has just grown a lot in the span of a few minutes.

DreamWeaver
02-17-2007, 03:10 PM
That's awsome! I'ts great that your mom thought to give those needles to you. Hey, don't you have the KP Options? Whoa, you're rolling in knitting needles, aren't you :teehee:

Nikita-amimono
02-17-2007, 03:11 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

What a great surprise!!!

Since I'm new to knitting, I have only 5 pairs of straight needles.
I would dream to have a surprise like that.

Ciao,

Niki

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:12 PM
That's awsome! I'ts great that your mom thought to give those needles to you. Hey, don't you have the KP Options? Whoa, you're rolling in knitting needles, aren't you :teehee:

Yeah, all of a sudden I have more needles than places to keep them. I'm gonna have to come up with some sort of roll up needle case for all these extra needles.

I guess after seeing my first finished sock Mom figured I might actually stand a chance of learning how to knit. :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:13 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

What a great surprise!!!

Since I'm new to knitting, I have only 5 pairs of straight needles.
I would dream to have a surprise like that.

Ciao,

Niki

Yeah it was pretty cool.

DreamWeaver
02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, all of a sudden I have more needles than places to keep them. I'm gonna have to come up with some sort of roll up needle case for all these extra needles.

You should learn how to sew and make yourself a knitting needle case :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:30 PM
You should learn how to sew and make yourself a knitting needle case :teehee:

I can sew I just don't especially enjoy it.

DreamWeaver
02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Oh, I didn't know that you could sew (that rhymes... sorry, off topic) That's really cool! I've always wanted to learn, but I'm too lazy ^_^

projectgal
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Whoa, you're rolling in knitting needles, aren't you

This is a not a good suggestion! This is how knitting gets the rap as being a dangerous hobby.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh, I didn't know that you could sew (that rhymes... sorry, off topic) That's really cool! I've always wanted to learn, but I'm too lazy ^_^

Well, don't get me wrong, my sewing skills are pretty basic, but I learned enough for simple sewing tasks like buttons, hemming, and the like. I once sewed a bathrobe that didn't come out too badly.

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Whoa, you're rolling in knitting needles, aren't you

This is a not a good suggestion! This is how knitting gets the rap as being a dangerous hobby.

:roflhard:

HeatherFeather
02-17-2007, 03:57 PM
my gf made a felted needle bag...I'll see where she got the pattern....

I'd think that it would be just big enough for the longest needle, and then you can poke them in....:)

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kable/kable.html

WOW....that is SOOOOO cool!!!!!!!!!! and a free pattern!!!!!!!!!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Cool Heather. I was thinking about something along those lines.

DianaM
02-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Last time I went to Hobby Lobby, they sold these roll-up paint brush carriers. They weren't very expensive. I wonder if the straight needles could fit in 'em.

Congrats on your new pieces!!

DQ
02-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Aww! Aren't mums great! My mother-in-law gave me most of my needles and a couple of small needle cases :muah:

Hope you get some good use out of them!

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 04:15 PM
I'll have to check them out at Hobby Lobby and see if they would be the right size.

VictoiseC
02-17-2007, 05:19 PM
That's so nice of your mum!

Took me a while to find this (link below)... knew I saw it somewhere before. I've been meaning to make a holder for a couple years now, my new sewing machine just sits there, abandoned. (I don't like to sew much either I've realised) So, like Mason, you could KNIT one. Course it must be alot easier just to use fabric and roll em up. Some old thin suede would be cool too. One of these days I'm going to make me a holder instead of throwing them all in a bag everytime I go somewhere....

http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/rollndl.shtml

Knitting_Guy
02-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks Victoise.

aineepooh1
02-17-2007, 09:01 PM
How cool is that Mason~~ sentimental journey, token from your childhood babysitter~
Hey as far as the singles.. I have heard of people using just a regular straight needle for a cableing needles~` maybe it could still be useful although it lost it's friend~! :teehee:

MommaRalph
02-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Patons has one too: http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1230

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Patons has one too: http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1230

Thanks. Except for the felted part, that's kind of what I had in mind. A bottom pocket and the ability to roll it.

I don't know, maybe I could give felting a try on something like that.

The two of them gives me some ideas. I may try to design my own pattern for it. I need to learn how to design patterns and a small project like this may be just the way to start. I appreciate the feedback on that.

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 12:31 AM
How cool is that Mason~~ sentimental journey, token from your childhood babysitter~
Hey as far as the singles.. I have heard of people using just a regular straight needle for a cableing needles~` maybe it could still be useful although it lost it's friend~! :teehee:

Yeah, it is pretty cool knowing that she had used some of those needles for a good number of years. Possibly even when she was babysitting me when I was a little diaper wetter.

Cristy
02-18-2007, 12:37 AM
I keep all of my straights in a coffee can! LOL!

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 12:55 AM
I keep all of my straights in a coffee can! LOL!

Some of these are pretty long. That would have to be a whopper of a coffee can :rofl:

newamy
02-18-2007, 01:02 AM
The other thing about old needles is that sometimes certain brands of vintage ones are actually collectible. So they may be both functional and mildly profitable.

aineepooh1
02-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Mason~ can you post us some pics of the needles? I would like to see the old ones~ :teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Mason~ can you post us some pics of the needles? I would like to see the old ones~ :teehee:

My good camera is still in my truck and my webcam just really isn't good enough. They pretty much look just like the ones you can go out and buy today. The only real thing that looks a little different on them are the size numbers on the ends. The numbers look a little different, maybe stamped with a different font, than modern ones. Otherwise they pretty much look exactly the same.

There is one set of size 4s that have some sort of white triangular shaped plastic end with the number on them. They're the only ones that look a little different.