PDA

View Full Version : Petunia Tote from Spring '07 Interweave

Cristy
02-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Anyone Interested? Here's (http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/Galleries/bonus/spring_2007/petunia.asp) a link to a great photo!

If you want to join in, just let me know and we'll pick a date to get started that gives everyone a chance to pick up the pattern and yarn!

Angelia
02-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Oooooh, I love that bag!! I've been avoiding the new IK so that new patterns wouldn't distract me from ongoing projects...curse you, Cristy, you foul temptress! :rofl:

And, um, that's a 'yeah, I'll join the KAL' kind of response, in case you weren't sure! :teehee: I'm imagining mine in some sort of sand/tan/taupe color--perfect for summer (kinda like a straw bag, but not).

feminine_earth
02-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Oh wow...I love it!! Do they sell the new Interweave Knits at Joann's?? I must have that pattern! I must have that bag!! :)

Cristy
02-18-2007, 11:18 AM
YAY!!! I have a knit along!

Angelia--that's the same color I was going to try--I have a million skeins of Elsabeth Lavold's Cotton Patine that I bought to make a sweater and never got around to--I think it'll be perfect. It's sort of a sand/beige color. I actually want to make two so I'm trying to decide on a second color as well.

I have all of my stuff ready and will probably cast on later today or tomorrow morning--you guys get your stuff and let me know when you've started.

Feminine_earth--I don't know if Joann's sells IK--I got mine at Borders. I know most of the "large" bookstores carry it so I'd check there. I may go to Joann's today or tomorrow so I'll look if I think about it and let you know.

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Oooooo pretty! I ordered a subscription, but I'm sure I won't get this one so I'll have to go buy it. Love that bag...may have to do it.. :inlove:

carmabelle1191
02-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I just got that new IK yesterday, and the whole time I was thinking of making that bag (probably in the same color). I think I'll start once I finish my yet to cast on socks :rofl:

Cristy
02-20-2007, 10:08 AM
awesome!!!! :)

feminine_earth
02-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Ok, so I went to my Joann's last night, and didn't see any IKs...so I asked the cashier lady if they sell them and she said, "I have no idea."

Right, good thing you don't work there, lady. :wall:

So I went to Books a Million and bought it!! :cheering: There are so many nice patterns in this magazine! I'm so excited!!

What yarn are you guys using for the tote? I can't wait to get started. :happydance:

Cristy
02-21-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm just about to cast on--a day later than I wanted to but better late than never!

I agree, there are tons of great patterns in this issue--I will probably tackle one or two of the sweaters too (and aren't those interlac socks just awesome!!) but I've gotta get this bag finished up for my sil's birthday.

I was planning to use some Elsebeth Lavold Cotton Patine that I have until I pulled it out and discovered it's dk weight and the pattern calls for worsted....now I'm not sure what to do which is sad b/c I really wanted to have already cast on...

What are you going to use?? I'm trying to think of what I can pick up quick that will work well--of course anyone can get peaches n cream but I was hoping to use something a little nicer...I can get Lion Cotton quick but I've never used it...any ideas??

Anyway--I'm glad you found the IK and please post once you've cast on to let me/us know how it's going.

feminine_earth
02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Cristy, believe it or not, I'm actually thinking about using Sugar 'n Cream. Bad Missy, I know! But, it's durable, cheap, and comes in so many nice colors! I'm gonna go to Joann's this Friday and see what they have...if the Lion brand cotton is nicer though, then I'll probably go with that instead. :)

Cristy
02-21-2007, 04:34 PM
no, not bad missy--I'm actually considering it now too...I've tried on the general forum to get opinions on cotton but no one is replying :shrug:

I guess my patience is outweighing my materialistic side...I know I can run to wally world here in a few minutes and pick up some peaches n cream in exactly the color my sil would like (since it's a gift for her).

mdog182
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
OK i'm reluctantly joining this knit along...i'm a knit along virgin. i'm waiting for my yarn to come, i ordered it from joann's last night so hopefully it will be here early next week

Cristy
02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
we like yarn virgins and loose knitters alike! LOL!!!

I got my yarn today--I decided to go w/ Lion Cotton primarily b/c it was my only option! LOL!! I found mercerized cotton at hobby lobby but the weight was wrong. I found the Lion Cotton in my sil's favorite color (sage green) so I decided that I'd try it. I've never used it so that's a bonus--it'll be one more yarn I've experienced!

I'm about to cast on during American Idol and Grey's Anatomy...I'm so excited!!!

HamaLee
02-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I think I"ll join you ladies once I get a few things off the needles. Can't wait for pics to start showing up!

Cristy
02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I got about 15 rows done last night and that's it--I didn't do a swatch b/c I figure it's a bag and knowing my own tension--if anything, it'll come out smaller and I'll have left over yarn.

I had hoped to get more accomplished but we decided to go out to dinner and I found myself very tired and went to be a little early as the little one was being cooperative. I plan to work on it more this afternoon and evening--I've got to run out for a couple of hours but then I'll get back to it.

So far, I like the lion cotton--it's nicer than sugar n cream...it doesn't split as bad. I think it was a good choice for the bag since it's inexpensive and just the color I was looking for. I'll post some pics as soon as I have something worth posting....

feminine_earth
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
I got my yarn today! Hoping to cast on tonight (and then I'll have three projects on the needles :teehee: ) and get a few rows done.

I bought Sugar n Cream in pink and cream. The pink will be for the bottom and the strap, and the cream will be for the body. We'll see how that goes! I've never joined yarn that couldn't be felted, so I guess it's time to learn a new join! :rofl:

Cristy
02-23-2007, 07:26 PM
That sounds great Missy! I can't wait to see those colors--I think it'll look neat!!!

Are you planning to swatch first or are you just going to wing it??

feminine_earth
02-23-2007, 11:32 PM
That sounds great Missy! I can't wait to see those colors--I think it'll look neat!!!

Are you planning to swatch first or are you just going to wing it??
Swatch? :teehee:

I'm with you. It's just a bag, and I'm a fairly tight knitter anyway. I won't mind if it comes out a bit smaller. :)

Cristy
02-24-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm about 5 rows from having the bottom of the bag finished--I'll try to post pictures sometime tomorrow--it's not all that interesting to look at so far as it's just a piece of St st. Maybe I'll post the pics after I pick up the stitches that are needed to start the actual "bag" part...

how are you guys doing...anyone else casted on yet???

Jan in CA
02-24-2007, 09:05 PM
I ordered the magazine and hope, hope, hope I get that issue soon! Sandra Ellen told me they had said they would send it in March. I wonder if I can wait that long... :?? :teehee:

Cristy
02-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Okay--I know this is obsessive but...

I had to correct a couple of stitches in my St St where they yarn split when I was knitting a row (darn cotton!!). As a result, the stitch before, after and the stitch where I dropped down to correct the mess up are not as tight/slightly stretched. It's not obvious I'm sure (I'm aware of my obsessive nature...) but it's bugging me. I know, I know, it's the bottom of the bag for pete's sake but still....will blocking help this? I'm not usually a big blocker so I'm not sure if this will make the cotton shrink??!!?!

What do you guys say?

I'm about to start picking up stitches so I'll try to have some photos posted later. I doubt I'll get far tonight as my mom is coming over to help me do some sewing.

Jan in CA
02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't know if you can block cotton. :??: I would think that washing/drying would help it all pull in properly though.

mdog182
02-25-2007, 04:24 PM
i'm still anxiously waiting for my yarn to come :pout: hopefully it will be here monday or tuesday.......this is the worst part, the wait

Cristy
02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Okay--I thought I'd post this:

The pattern says you need a 6" x 9" piece of cardboard (optional) for the bottom so I'm going to assume that is the final measurements of the bottom piece before you pick up stitches. I just measured mine and I ended up at 6.25" x 8.5". That seems really wonky to me--I mean how did I end up w/ it being wider and shorter--seems like if it were going to be shorter it'd be narrower or vice versa... :shrug:

Anyway--I'm sticking with it--like I said--it's a bag..not a sweater!

I'm off to pick up my stitches now...

Jan in CA
02-25-2007, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about it unless it was WAY off the mark.

Cristy
02-25-2007, 11:15 PM
haha--worry, me? no way--not unless I have to wear it! :)

Cristy
02-27-2007, 12:18 PM
so my bag has made no progress short of me picking up the stitches along one edge (which went okay I think--I HATE picking up stitches..I'd rather knit a house w/ dpns...). I didn't get to work on it at all yesterday b/c I was super busy and today isn't looking much better but hopefully I'll get to it a little this evening...

Has anyone else made any progress?

feminine_earth
02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Grrr...I haven't even had a chance to cast on yet! Hello time! Where are you going?! Please slow down!! :wall:

Hoping to cast on by the end of this week. We'll see how that goes. :)

Jan in CA
02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Hello time! Where are you going?! Please slow down!! :wall:

You think it's going fast now wait till you're my age (54)!! :passedout:

I still don't have the magazine. :wall:

Cristy
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey Jan--since I know you are buying the magazine--do you want me to send you the beginning of the directions so you can get started?

feminine_earth
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
It's finally on the needles! :cheering:

Anyone besides me knitting the base of the bag on straights? I hate knitting flat on circulars. :teehee:

Cristy, how far are you now? I'm hoping to be able to start picking up stitches this weekend. :)

mdog182
03-01-2007, 02:01 AM
dude joann is seriously making me angry. :wall: it is taking sooooooooo long for my yarn to come, i ordered it last wednesday and it still says it is being processed when i go to track my order.

Cristy
03-01-2007, 03:19 PM
F_earth--I am still picking up stitches--I've just got one short side to do and I can start working in the round. I haven't been able to devote as much time to it the past few days b/c I've been working on a sewing project and the baby hasn't taken as many good naps. I plan to finish picking up stitches tonight or tomorrow--I knitting the bottom in the round--I use circs for everything. I just realized that I don't have the right length circ--I have a 24 and 32 inch and it calls for a 29. I'm using the 24 so we'll see if I'm actually able to get all of these stitches picked up on this length of needle--if not my project might have to hold on until I can purchase the right length needle...If I had thought ot order it online from my LYS yesterday then it would have been here tomorrow or Saturday at the latest....I'm taking dd and ds to the zoo on Saturday and it's not too far away from the LYS so maybe I'll swing by there afterwards and pick up the right length of needle. In the meantime I'll just have to struggle w/ the one I have.

mdog--I quit ordering online from JoAnns b/c I've only done it once and it took me almost 2 weeks to get my order--they just seemed REALLY slow. I hope for your sake you don't have the same problem and it shows up quickly!

mdog182
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
mdog--I quit ordering online from JoAnns b/c I've only done it once and it took me almost 2 weeks to get my order--they just seemed REALLY slow. I hope for your sake you don't have the same problem and it shows up quickly!

:pout: :!!!: :grrr: :verysad:

Cristy
03-01-2007, 09:29 PM
awww.... :hug: It'll be here soon. How's your Danica coming? I tried that scarf last fall and hit a snag and never finished....I love it so much though. I need to try it again.

Cristy
03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I haven't had any success knitting more of my bag but I did go to the LYS today and pick up another needle. I got a lantern moon ebony circular b/c it came in 26 inches...the article calls for 29 inch which addi doesn't make and a 24 just feels too short. I have a 32 inch addi but I'm scared it'll be too big when I'm working in the round so I bought the 26 inch just to give myself a little more room and I admit I used it as an excuse to try a new needle--the lady at the LYS says she loves them. They are a little more expensive than addis but I'll let you guys know if I find them to be as good.

I bought some more yarn b/c I'm thinking that if I ever get this one done I might make a second one for myself. I bought peaches n cream in yellow for the second one.

I'm going to log off now and try to get some knitting done--my little guy is taking an extra long nap so he shoudl wake soon but maybe I'll have time to get a little more done. I'll let you know how it turns out!

mdog182
03-03-2007, 05:37 PM
yeah right after i sent a complaint email to joanns i received a ship confirmation saying the yarn (the needle has been backordered....awesome) will be here on the 7th. right about two weeks since i ordered it. well, now i know better. i'll probably go and buy the needle at the lys....let me know cristy how the needle you picked up works. i was planning on buying an addi but if it doesn't come in the size.....hmmm.

onto better news.....my danica scarf is coming along nicely, thank you for asking. i haven't had a project otn for a couple of weeks so i was really anxious to do SOMETHING. i'm glad the march kal is for entrelac.

Cristy
03-04-2007, 10:57 PM
I hate to admit it but I haven't even opened the needle I bought...I went to the LYS on Friday and got the needle. Friday night dh and I went to dinner and then delt w/ a fussy baby when we got home--matter of fact--I let him sleep this time b/c he only had a few hours the night before. Sat. morning we went to the zoo w/ the kids but it was really windy and I think I may have come down w/ a cold. Sat. night we had a wedding and reception to attend and then today we went to church. I spent most of the afternoon on the couch resting when ds napped since I wasn't feeling well. Hopefully I'll feel better in the morning and if so I'll let you know how the needle works.

Sorry to hear about Joanns....:(

catownedanna
03-05-2007, 03:03 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Jag vet inte riktigt när jag börjar..." = "I don't really know when I'll start..."
_____

I have the pattern for this tote now! :cheering: Thank you, Cristy, for helping out! :hug:

In my stash, I have some cotton/acrylic yarn I bought last summer for a tank top that just never happened. My hopes are that this tote will be perfect for the yarn.

I don't really know when to cast on as I have other things on the needles, but I'll find some time.

Anyone had any problems with the pattern so far?

feminine_earth
03-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm still trudging along on the base of the bag. :oops:

Cristy
03-05-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm still pretending that I'll have time to knit today....

lissalue
03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
i got my copy of the magazine today, and i really want to make this bag, but i don't know when i will be able to start. i have so many things i must finish, but i will make it and join this kal!!!

Cristy
03-05-2007, 08:57 PM
great--that's awesome--I may be starting over and everyone else is just starting or planning to start when yarn arrives, etc. so feel free to join whenever you like!

Cristy
03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I managed to get a little done last night....I finished picking up stitches around the bottom and knitted three rounds. As it turns out--I'm using two circulars and I think it's going well so far (the two circulars part...). There are several little mistakes in my bag already that I'm trying to work out before I move on. Hopefully things will go faster now that I'm on the body of the bag but I'm not sure b/c the chart requires quite a bit of counting or at least constant attention to make sure I'm purling in the right places...

btw--if you decide to do your bag in the round w/ two circs--you only need to place markers after the first set of 46 stitches and then the third set b/c your needle tips will stick out after the second and fourth set of 46 stitches...

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Keeping fingers crossed the mag shows up soon. :roll: Can you tell me what type of yarn is suggested so I can have it ready? Thanks!

Cristy
03-06-2007, 09:36 PM
648 yards of mercerized (did I get it right? :teehee: ) cotton...the pattern uses Tahki Cotton Classic--6 skeins.

lissalue
03-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Keeping fingers crossed the mag shows up soon. :roll: Can you tell me what type of yarn is suggested so I can have it ready? Thanks!

i got mine yesterday, so maybe you'll get yours tomorrow. here's hoping!

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
648 yards of mercerized (did I get it right? :teehee: ) cotton...the pattern uses Tahki Cotton Classic--6 skeins.

:teehee: Yes, you did! What weight?

Cristy
03-06-2007, 10:18 PM
sorry...worsted. :)

lissalue
03-06-2007, 10:19 PM

:teehee: Yes, you did! What weight?

according to yarndex it is worsted weight.

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 10:30 PM
:doh: I could have looked it up, sorry! But, thanks for the answer. I had some shine sport here is why I was asking. However my brain is addled right now from trying to figure out how to fix dropped garter stitches so I didn't think to look it up. :zombie:

lissalue
03-06-2007, 10:40 PM
i don't mind, it gave me something to do and made me feel useful. :teehee:

mdog182
03-06-2007, 10:43 PM
hey cristy.....what length circulars are you using for your two circular knitting? i'm afraid i'll have the same problem as you (not being able to find the correct length cable) but i have not knitted using two circulars before. i watched the video and it seems kind of cumbersome with the cables and needles dangling everywhere.

Cristy
03-06-2007, 11:44 PM
mdog--I do find two circular knitting somewhat irritating until I get in a rhythm...but that's no different than how I feel about dpns so I have no excuse for not using them...

That being said--I'm using the 26 inch LM needles I bought and my 24 inch addi. I typically like to use 24 inch needles when I use two circs.

You should give two circs a try--once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Check out the general forum (my thread-"Addi (and options) users..")...someone just made a suggestion for a brand that is supposedly as good as Addis and comes in 29 inch.

mdog182
03-08-2007, 12:56 PM
:woot: :woot: :woot:
I FINALLY GOT MY YARN!!!!! i was sooo excited yesterday i knitted the whole bottom piece already. the yarn i got is more like a dk weight than worsted but the gauge came out pretty close. it's right about 6" wide and 8" long. i'm hoping it won't make too big of a difference. i do like the yarn i am using, it is very soft and makes pretty even stitches.

buuuuuuuuuuut, now i have to wait for my kp options to come. yes, i joined the club and decided it was the most cost efficient thing to do, plus i'm tired of having to buy a new needle every time i make a new project. i'm gonna try the two circular method when these come in. but i was smart this time and sprung for the 3 day shipping so hopefully i won't have to wait as long.

Cristy
03-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Very cool! Glad to hear the yarn came and that the needles will be here soon. My little one has been rather sick so I haven't gotten a lot more finished. Maybe I'll get some knitting time tomorrow...

feminine_earth
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm almost ready to pick up stitches. Quick question: those of you with Options...why are you using two circs? Doesn't Options have a cable close enough to the needed 26 (is it 26? or 29? I can't remember...) inches?

I'm asking because I have the Denise set...and I thought I had the right cable. Just making sure that I do! The instructions with the Denise set are kinda confusing to me...I'm using the longest cord and the size 6 needles...that'll give me ummm...28 inches, right (19"+4.5"+4.5"=28)? And then if I used the second longest cord, it'll give me 25 inches, so I'm ok with using my Denise set, right? I don't have to do two circs, right? Cuz I'd probably quit if I did. :pout:

Jan in CA
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Aunty Missy...just measure from needle tip to needle tip to get length. No adding or confusion involved. :teehee:

Cristy
03-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Jans right--just measure tip to tip. I know the website for options says that they come in 26 and 32 but then I think I remember someone saying that that is cable length only--not including tips so you may be right...options may have a 29 inch length...I don't have a set so I'm not sure (but I'm seriously considering them....I just hate that they don't come in itty bitty sizes for socks...)

feminine_earth
03-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Aunty Missy...just measure from needle tip to needle tip to get length. No adding or confusion involved. :teehee:
Well, I was at work when I wrote that, lol. But I just measured now and they are actually 27 inches from tip to tip with the longest cord! And the pattern calls for a 29 inch circ...so 27 should be ok, right? Yikes, I hope so! :pray:

Cristy
03-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I think it should be okay...the 26 I was using was okay but I just didn't care for the needle that much. You can always try it and if you find that it's stretching the yarn or that there are so many stitches OTN that they tend to fall off, you can change to two circs...

mdog182
03-09-2007, 06:20 PM
oh yeah i didn't even think about the cable being 26 inches, not including the needles (for the options set). i guess we'll see when they come if one needle will be enough or if i'll have to try it with two circs.

mdog182
03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
yay i got my options set in the mail yesterday. i'm thinking the shorter cable attached to the needles will be suitable instead of using two circs but i have not knitted yet, just picked up the stitches (what a chore that was!). hopefully i can get a few rows done tonight after work.

Cristy
03-13-2007, 11:59 PM
I swear I'm going to get back on this tomorrow! I have so much on my plate right now and I had a momentary sock knitting fettish that has passed....I'll be working on the widdy biddy sock KAL too but that shouldn't take but about a day or so for me to complete once I get started. I think I haven't picked up my tote recently b/c I stopped mid-row and now I'm worried that I won't be able to figure out where I was so I'm just avoiding it all together!!! (okay..I know I'll be able to figure it out but I'm a little lazy...)

mdog182
03-14-2007, 04:16 PM
yeah working across the rows takes a long time. i only got like five rows done last night in about 1/2 an hour. a lot of that time was spent counting though. i had a nightmare that i screwed up this bag so i want to make sure i get all the stitches right.

Cristy
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
it certainly takes some counting. I've been sitting here working on mine a bit...I've added another 4 rows so I'm up to row 9 now...I plan to knit a few more before turning in...

Cristy
03-15-2007, 08:33 AM
okay...so I didn't get more done...I'm still on row 9....but maybe today I'll be able to put in some more time. I'm glad I got a few rows done last night...it energized me to pick it back up....That's my problem with having several projects OTN....I forget how much I like the one that I'm not currently working on! LOL!

shannon2108
03-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi all! I have been lurking for quite awhile now. I wasn't sure if I could get the yarn in time. It came yesterday. So I am officially joining the KAL. I am using Crystal Palace Breeze yarn. I have the bottom done and 1 1/2 rows on the sides. Boy, was it hard picking up the end stitches!

BTW I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Sally and I am from IN. I am a retired schoolteacher with a husband and 2 grown daughters.

ps.. I'm really not that old...retired sounds sooo old. lol I took early retirement just last June.

Cristy
03-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Shannon--glad you could join us! I don't think retired sounds old...especially not if you're a school teacher! If you start teaching right out of college you can be retired in your early 50s!!! (I'm a teacher too..I've added it up...)

I'm working on my bag right now...I'm just starting round 11...it's going much slower than I had wanted but at least it's going...

mdog182
03-21-2007, 12:11 AM
:wall: :grrr: :!!!: :-x
soooooooo i just frogged my whole purse so all i have left is my base. i hadn't gotten THAT far (row 15) but hey, it takes a long time to get that far!!! i was trying to get fancy to try to eliminate the saggy knit stitches before the purls, i read a post in the how-to forums about wrapping the yarn clockwise instead of counterclockwise when doing the first purl after a knit to twist the stitch. i was confused as to what to do when returning to the stitch and then somehow in my confusion created like 7 extra stitches and could not figure out how to fix it so i just frogged the whole thing. i am still unable to frog to a certain point and pick up the stitches again. i am actually not too upset about it right now but man, now i have to pick up all those stitches again!!

does anyone else have a solution to the saggy, droopy knit stitches before a bunch of purl stitches? i would like to find out how to eliminate them before i start the purse again.

catownedanna
03-21-2007, 03:29 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Detta kanske kan hjälpa dig?" = "Maybe this can help you?"
_____

does anyone else have a solution to the saggy, droopy knit stitches before a bunch of purl stitches?

I use the Norwegian purl for the first (couple of) stitch(es) when I alter between knits and purls. Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBWX3hJorjM) a video from YouTube. Here's (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//purl/purling-norwegian.mpg) Amy showing how to do it. Here (http://www.spellingtuesday.com/norwegianpurl.html)you can see it in pictures.

These are all continental. I don't know how to work this if you knit English style... Maybe someone else does?

-----

And about the tote... I'm using some cotton/acrylic yarn from my stash to knit this. My bag is turning out real small and I guess it'll eventually become a gift for a small cousin or niece... I'm up to row ten or something but haven't been working on it since last week.

Cristy
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
:shrug: I'm a conti knitter too so I'm not sure how it would work out in English style...I don't notice the saggy stitches so much...I wonder why I'm not getting them???

Cristy
03-21-2007, 08:36 PM
:wall: Damn :wall:

I just found a big freakin mistake in my bag and I have to frog back about five rows....

I was knitting along all happy with my pattern and totally didn't notice that it was time to incorporate purl stitches for the beginning of another flower petal further down the row...stooopid me...I got too comfortable with the pattern and stopped paying such close attention...

shannon2108
03-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I am on row 23 getting ready for that tricky flower you forgot!! hope to get a couple of more rows done tonight.

Cristy
03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Shannon--you're blowing us all away now! I'm impressed...

I told dh tonight..I'm kind of sad b/c I'm really not into this project and I want to be...it just isn't holding my attention for some reason...

alas..I continue...grudgingly...

shelleyj3
03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
I have been wanted to knit this but have soooo many works in progress that I'm waiting. I've been watching this thread to see some pics!!! I just wanted to show you guys that are working in this the link to the craftster Knit-along in case you'd like to see how it's coming along. Someone put pics on there in a neutral color...It's going to be so cute when it's done...I'll have to find time for it. I want a pink one!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=155106.0

HamburgKnitter
03-22-2007, 07:45 AM
That's a really cute bag and I have some cotton lavendar yarn that would be perfect for it.

Does anybody know whether I can just buy the pattern online somewhere? I can't find Interweave Knits here in Germany. :verysad: I think I'll ask for a subscription to it for my next birthday!

Stonington
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
I have been wanted to knit this but have soooo many works in progress that I'm waiting. I've been watching this thread to see some pics!!! I just wanted to show you guys that are working in this the link to the craftster Knit-along in case you'd like to see how it's coming along. Someone put pics on there in a neutral color...It's going to be so cute when it's done...I'll have to find time for it. I want a pink one!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=155106.0

Shelley,
Thanks for posting the link. I have been waiting to see "in progress" pics too. I am thinking this would be a fun :cheering: spring project.

anne

mdog182
03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
dang shannon thanks for showing us all up! :teehee: just kidding, you are motivating me to go home and knit until my hands hurt....which will probably be after five rows. haha

shannon2108
03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Shelley asked for a pic. This is not a very good one, but you can see 1 flower. Question: I am wondering if the bag is going to be too deep. I'm thinking about only doing 1 1/2 repeats instead of 2? What do you all think? Will that ruin the design? Let me know!

shelleyj3
03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Shannon,

Thanks for the pic! I love the color and it looks great! I can't wait til you finish... :cheering:

mdog182
03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
i was thinking the same thing....about the bag being too deep. it looks ok on the model but i have a really short torso and i don't really want a bag that hangs down past my butt! i'm considering shortening the bag also....i don't think it would make the bag look weird or anything, at least i hope not.

shannon2108
03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
i was thinking the same thing....about the bag being too deep. it looks ok on the model but i have a really short torso and i don't really want a bag that hangs down past my butt! i'm considering shortening the bag also....i don't think it would make the bag look weird or anything, at least i hope not.

I'm thinking about stopping at row 35 on the second repeat. That would give you 3 flowers in the row instead of 4. I might make the strap just a bit longer too.

mdog182
03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
hey shannon, what yarn are you using?

Jan in CA
03-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I GOT MY MAGAZINE TODAY!!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

shannon2108
03-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Melissa, I am using Crystal Palace Breeze yarn. I got it from littleknits.com.
it was called lightest apple green. here is the link: http://www.littleknits.com/products.php?cat=393

Lots of yarn on sale too!! I got this yarn for @40% off. I love a bargain!!

Cristy
03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Okay...I typed a long post and it suddenly disappeared...weird....
ba
Shannon--I think your bag looks awesome--I'm using almost the exact same color! What needles are you using? We had a needle discussion a few pages back but I don't think you were with us then...just curious what you are using...

Jan--YAY!!! You can join us now!!!

I have good news and bad news about my bag....good news: I'm about to kick it in high gear.... the bad news is that I've decided to frog it all and start over. I can't seem to fix my "missed" flower and there are other flaws in spots that are big enough to make me angry. It's a gift so I want it to be as perfect as possible. I also think I should change needle sizes--my gauge wasn't exactly where I wanted it to be on this one...

About the length of the bag...I think if I were making this bag for me I might shorten it a little and lengthen the strap....I'm 5'2. I'm making it for my sil who is 5'10 and a half and has a very long torso so I'm going to leave it as written AND lengthen the strap a little! LOL!

I tried to check out the craftster site but I got a message saying it's down for maintenance so I'll check it out later--thanks for the link!

shannon2108
03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Christy, I am using Clover #6 - 29in circular. I have started the second repeat, but am planning to only do half of it. Hope it works out!

Jan in CA
03-26-2007, 03:28 PM
I wonder if using Shine Sport would make it ridiculously small. I have a bunch that I was going to use for a tank top and changed my mind.. :??

:thinking:

shelleyj3
03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Jan,

Maybe you could double strand it. I think that would work out great and sturdier than single strand of sport weight.

mdog182
03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
yeah i'm having the same prob jan because my yarn in dk weight but i did not realize that when i ordered it so i might double strand it but what if that is too thick? and what if i don't have enough yarn?

Jan in CA
03-28-2007, 01:47 AM
I decided not to use the Shine sport anyway..it's sky blue and while it's pretty I'd prefer a bag that was another color or neutral. I hope to get out this week and get some! :cheering:

catownedanna
04-02-2007, 05:32 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Ska nog börja om..." = "Will probably start over..."
_____

I haven't worked on my tote in ages... I've been more interested in my sock knitting and my new sewing machine.

This weekend I took the tote out of it's plastic bag and was about to start knitting. And realised why I don't love it. It's flimsy. There's nothing "sturdy" about it and it just looks blah... I might start over knitting double stranded to see if that makes it more of a "proper bag" instead of a blah... I might... We'll see.

shannon2108
04-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Well, it's done... I have mixed feelings about it. I only did 1 and 1/2 of the pattern and it is still huge!! I knit the handle on 2 needles using the double knitting technique. The edges are not very smooth in places. All in all it's ok. I'll probably use it for a beach bag this summer.

Jan in CA
04-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I think it's supposed to be big..it's a tote bag and looks big on the model, too. That green one is so pretty!

feminine_earth
04-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Shannon, that's gorgeous! :inlove:

Well, since I'm done with my portion of the Oddball Charity Blanket KAL, I've finally started working on my tote again! But...I made a mistake. :pout: I picked up all my stitches from the wrong side!! And there is no way I'm taking them out, because lemme tell ya, it was HARD picking up the stitches from my the bind-off stitches. :wall:

So yeah, the bottom of my bag is reverse stockinette, but oh well. :teehee: Other than that, it's coming along good! When I get a big more progress done, I'll post a picture! :)

Cristy
04-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Shannon--your bag is beautiful!!! I'm guessing you figured out that I got side tracked.... The bag is supposed to be for my sil whose birthday is next week! I don't think it'll be a birthday bag afterall...

I hope to pick it back up soon--going back to work from maternity leave was a larger undertaking than I had anticipated...

I love your liner, btw..!!

bellium
07-04-2007, 11:01 PM
so, i decided to knit this bag - i thought the pattern was so pretty, and i had some plymouth fantasy naturale mercerized cotton in a really lovely garnet color i had been itching to use. in typical me fashion, i decided not to knit a guage swatch, since it's a bag, not an item of clothing. so, i have been knitting away for a few weeks, on and off, and i kept having to go back to the store for more yarn, which stuck me as a little odd - plus, the bag seemed to be getting longer and longer - i finally decided, on row 45 of the second pattern repeat that i was going to end it there instead of trying to knit through the whole repeat. it was kind of hard to see just how large the bag had gotten until i started binding off - it's at least 20" long! it could be a sleeping bag for my dog! i'll finish it anyway, because i'm stubborn like that, but i can't imagine carting my giant bag around town...

Lady Violet
07-04-2007, 11:50 PM
you could use it as your lys shopping bag. :teehee:

bellium
07-05-2007, 12:55 AM
you could use it as your lys shopping bag.

tee hee...my husband would die.