PDA

View Full Version : OT Anyone Ever Lost Their Diamond?

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 12:27 AM
My husband and I were engaged by phone on Sept. 2, 2004 ... we had never met in person, only via the internet ... he asked me what kind of engagement ring I would like and he being a home designer and builder designed a ring based on what I told him ... he had it made and when I arrived in Vancouver three weeks later, he gave it to me ... we had two wedding bands attached to the curved engagement ring to make one ring ....

You can imagine my horror when I was returning this morning from the dog groomers to leave my dogs for a bath and I looked down and NO DIAMOND .. :crying: this was a near 1/2 carat center stone ... a hole was left ... it didn't fall out of the claws, the claws and all were gone .... I called my husband, he was horrified ... I was planning on going to the LYS as it's near the groomers and pick up some baby yarn they had ordered for me and I didn't even feel like going there .. I came home and scoured my sidewalk where I take the dogs ..... this morning Kyro had picked something up off the floor and I had visions of it being my stone and having to go on poop watch to find it ..... :noway:

I went up the stairs looked in my studio by my computer as I picked some wool off the stone last night when I was knitting so I knew I had it then ..... I went into my bedroom and looked right by my cell phone plug which is on the floor and there it was sitting by the cord .... when DH looked at it, it appeared as if it was glued on by crazy glue, the tip of it wasn't more than the head of a pin .. the only thing I can figure is when I had a fall last week it may have jarred loose .... I couldn't believe I found it, I called my groomer and told her no need to look in her shop and I was in tears when I called DH and told him .... we are going to have the whole rings taken apart and put back together more solidly ...

Toby

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh my gosh! Wow! Scary!

I'm so glad you found it!

:thud:

Cristy
02-18-2007, 12:34 AM
OMG--I'm so glad you found it--you are so lucky!! I've never lost a diamond but I do need to take my ring in b/c I think one of my diamonds may have a fracture and if so I think it's b/c of tension. Fortunately my ring came from a store where they will replace it if anything is wrong w/ it that I didn't cause. They've already replaced it once (for a really silly reason but they wanted to replace it so I let them!!)!

Take your rings and have them put back together--Good luck!

Jeep_Girl
02-18-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm really glad you found it!!!

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Is good you found it. Modern diamonds aren't set nearly as well as the older ones were. You're right, they are basically glued into many settings these days. It would do you well to have it reset every few years.

I have a habit of staying in a particular hotel in WI every few weeks. They have come to know me there and the woman who works the desk often has my registration card filled out by the time I get inside to the desk. She knows my truck when she sees it.

Well, one time when I was staying there I had removed my 1.5 carat diamond earring and set in on the sink to take a shower. It was a gift from a woman I was dating several years ago.

A day or so after I checked out of the hotel I realized that I didn't have the earring. I was certain that I had left it in the hotel. When I checked in again over a month later the lady at the desk had my earring waiting for me.

How's that for a combination of luck and good hotel staff?

stagebear
02-18-2007, 12:48 AM
wow - i think i'd freak out. i'm glad you found it.
we have all of my rings under a great lifetime warentee so any lost diamonds would be covered, but still.

Cristy
02-18-2007, 12:49 AM
you were lucky Mason--and that's quite a gift !

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 12:50 AM
you were lucky Mason--and that's quite a gift !

Yeah, it was lucky. As far as the gift, she was rich and could easily afford it. Too bad she turned out to be married :pout:

Cristy
02-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Yeah, it was lucky. As far as the gift, she was rich and could easily afford it. Too bad she turned out to be married :pout:

Oops...

newamy
02-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Wow, what a story.

I've had my diamond from my engagement ring for 15 years now (wow) and the other small stones on the wedding band for 14 and 1/2 and never have had a problem; ever. It's set in white gold, which is actually stronger than yellow gold. It's a 4 prong setting and I'm certain there is no glue. My hands are in water far too often for that. I would know by now.

Your story makes me want to start a thread of showing off wedding rings; maybe I'll take a picture and start a thread- but not just now.

Anyway your story also reminded me of my mother's. Long before I was born my mom had been really sick sometime after my oldest brother was born. She had lost a lot of weight. She and my dad were out talking to some neighbors where ever it was that they lived and her ring slipped of her finger and was lost in some high grass, I think. I'm not sure how long it was till it was noticed, It's a fuzzy story for me being as I wasn't around then. Anyway, they found it and had it resized and actually had a wider band made with four diamond chips added around the center diamond.

Anyway, good luck with getting your ring fixed.

Julie
02-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Wow! Glad you found it!!

It would be :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: central around here if I ever lost mine. In fact, DH told me after he gave it to me that if I ever lost it, I should just go and replace it immediately and not tell him. :teehee: It has great family significance -- it was the diamond that his dad gave his mom, and he died in Vietnam when my DH was a baby. :pout:

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 01:49 AM
What flashed through my mind first was Kyro snarfling it up .... can you imagine being on poop watch with THIS GUY??????????????? :help:

Toby

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 01:51 AM
ummmmm no

Dangles
02-18-2007, 02:00 AM
Toby,

:thud:

Thank goodness you found it. Phew

I'd poop my pants if I lost mine :o

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm glad you found it! That's a great picture of you two!

And I can't imagine being engaged to someone I'd never met in person only on the internet.. :passedout:

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 02:58 AM

it is a good pic, but her hubby is kind of a dog, dontcha think?

humblestumble
02-18-2007, 03:22 AM
YES! I have. It sucks, but I'm not big on rings, and they weren't awesome like an engagement ring or anything. Both rings lost a few tiny diamonds. I stopped wearing them after that happened, but I am not very careful with stuff like that. That's why when I get an engagement ring and wedding ring, I want them tension set like these

http://www.sndgems.com/platinum-gold-tension-set-rings-gai.htm

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 03:27 AM

:teehee: I think she actually has two or three of those big beasts!

stitchwitch
02-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I lost a baguette out of my wedding band a couple of years ago. I was more shocked than anything. I wore gloves for years while in dentistry without even a broken prong and then one day I was working in the yard near my neighbor's house and whammo it must have gotten loose and came out. I had it replaced but now I'm paranoid of it happening again. :pout:

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 01:05 PM

:teehee: I think she actually has two or three of those big beasts!

LOL I have two .... that brute is 15 month old 112 lbs Kyro who is waiting for his brain to grow in .... I told my DH that it will never come in now that we removed his OTHER brains!!!!!!!!! Kona is 19 months and gentle as anything but fears an umbrella or any strange looking sight ... spooks if my DH who normally fronts his rig in, backs it into the driveway ... she's a rather girlish figured portly 87 lbs. .. we did have an English Bull Terrier, Willow who passed on September 14th, 2006 at 9 yrs and 3 months.

Toby

jodstr2
02-18-2007, 01:24 PM
aiii. I'm so glad you found it!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug:

jmp3775
02-18-2007, 01:34 PM
When you go have it fixed, you should make sure that they do the setting more securely. The prongs should be set AS PART OF THE RING- not set to the ring as 2 separate pieces, for the reason that you just found out. You are very lucky to have found it! When rings are set that way, a hit at just the right angle can send the prongs (and stone) flying. Your insurance would replace it, but I know for myself, it wouldnt be the same because it I would know that it wasnt THE stone that my husband so carefully picked out. Good luck getting it fixed!

Cristy
02-18-2007, 01:37 PM
My goodness those dogs are big (but beautiful)!!!! I thought my best friend's two wimeriners (I know I butchered that) were big! And here I sit w/ my little weiner dog in my lap....

nadja la claire
02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
I've never lost a diamond, but I only have one diamond ring and I never wear it. I was given to me by my late MIL, because I was the only DIL that she liked, but I don't really care for diamonds. I'm partial to pearls so my DH gave me a beautiful pearl ring when he proposed.

Well we were in Paris on business/pleasure in 1999 and I remember arriving back at our apartment after an evening out with friends, and when I took my ring off I then notice my beautiful pearl was gone. I wanted to cry, there was no way I was ever going to find it, we had done an extensive pub crawl through Paris, and I didn't know where to start even if I did try to find it. :pout: In the end my DH just laughed and told me not to worry, that the jeweler would replace it. The jeweler did replace it for free but I don't wear the ring anymore because I'm afraid of losing it.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Mrs. Columbo
02-18-2007, 01:50 PM
It was strange how this fell out, I mean the claws are still around the stone, the whole SETTING fell out .. it's like the point at the end of the setting came "unglued" and left this huge hole ... DH isn't taking it back to the same person to have "repaired" ....

Toby

stitchwitch
02-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I worked with a gal who had the same exact thing happen. She came in one morning all frazzled because the "basket" as she called it came off of her ring and was nowhere to be found. Same scenario, the diamond and all still intact somewhere except completely decapitated from the ring. :pout: It's strange how it can make you all paranoid afterwards. I don't even wear my rings to bed anymore. I never gave it a though for 13 years and I even have my rings checked routinely.

heykaren
02-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Toby, you are SO lucky!!!!!! Ive had the tips of the prongs break ( Im not exactly the most careful thing... ) and had them fixed once, but just discovered the other day, that they are broken again. I live in Spain, and diamonds are not exactly as commonplace as they are in the States, and Im a bit nervous about sending it off to a shop here. So this time, Im waiting till the summer when Im in the states to visit my mother. DH keeps telling me to be careful with it, cause its the only diamond Im getting from him.... :doh:

Karen

Mariblue
02-18-2007, 02:47 PM
So glad you found your diamond!
In the book "Marley and Me" they had to do a poop watch for (I think) a gold necklace that Marley, the dog, ate. After they found it, and washed it of course, it came out all shiney and beautiful, and looked much better than it had before!

Silver
02-18-2007, 05:18 PM
You're very lucky to have found it.

I have lost the diamond to my engagement ring. After 12 years of marriage, and wearing my ring every day, one of the prongs broke and the diamond fell out.

I never found it.

It wasn't a big rock or anything, it was the original engagement ring he bought for me when he was 18. It was a tiny little diamond, but it was THE ring he proposed to me with. I was heartbroken. Hubby bought me a replacement engagement ring 2 years ago (much bigger diamond this time!) along with new wedding bands for both of us, so we both have all new rings.

But I'll never get over losing my original. That was THE diamond. :pout:

nadja la claire
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
You're very lucky to have found it.

I have lost the diamond to my engagement ring. After 12 years of marriage, and wearing my ring every day, one of the prongs broke and the diamond fell out.

I never found it.

It wasn't a big rock or anything, it was the original engagement ring he bought for me when he was 18. It was a tiny little diamond, but it was THE ring he proposed to me with. I was heartbroken. Hubby bought me a replacement engagement ring 2 years ago (much bigger diamond this time!) along with new wedding bands for both of us, so we both have all new rings.

But I'll never get over losing my original. That was THE diamond. :pout:

:hug: :hug:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Webigail
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Oh, how these stories can make a girl's head spin!

I'm glad that each one (well, except for Silver) had a happy ending.

I never lost my diamond, but lost the entire engagement ring one day.
I was at work and took the ring off for a moment to put lotion on my hands. My E-ring fell and I just assumed it couldn't have gone far, as it was a small, carpeted office. Boy, was I wrong.

I had everyone tearing the office up to help me look. I had thoughts of my husband going into cardiac-arrest while looking. We did eventually find it, but let me tell you, carpet has some spring, because the ring was much further than I expected.

HeatherFeather
02-18-2007, 07:27 PM
I lost my diamond...never ever found it. :( I am STILL sick about it.

It was right when I started to "do" and get Flylady. I was making the boys bed, wacked my hand, and 45 mins later, realized it was gone. But I have NO idea if it was gone before that or not. This was 6 years ago, and this house has been turned upside down numerous times to no avail.

Homeowners ins wouldn't cover it, because there was no rider, and it didn't have water damage or run over by a car, the only 2 things it would replace it as a result of. (I know that isn't correct sentence structure, but I'm from the midwest and we ALWAYS end a sentence preposition with).

yeah_im_crazy
02-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Being 14 I have never been engaged, but I once lost a garnet birthstone earring that I was given as an infant. An expensive kind. Anyways, we searched and searched, and then remembered that the day it went missing my mom had vacuumed. So we had to take the bag out, and sift through every bit of dust. We did find it, but the earring was mangled. The ear-pointy stick part was bent, the stone had come out of the earring, and the beautiful red garnet colour had turned greenish gray, I have no idea why.

I was heartbroken. My baby earrings!

So I know how you guys feel. :hug: :muah:

LadyB
02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I lost my diamond, and when I called my husband in tears, he had me get a new one. I was informed by every jeweler I spoke with that you are supposed to have your prongs retipped every 8-10 years (mine was about 11). Then about a week later, I lost my diamond again. I found it that time, but I no longer wear my ring. :( Instead, my DH surprised me with a plain gold band that matches his -- he even got down on one knee and did a lovely "proposal" again. That's what I wear now.

msoebel
02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I lost my engagement ring a few times...just because I took it off, put it somewhere wonky, and then couldn't remember where I put it.

I never did have my wedding ring welded to my engagement ring...which has been nice on occasion. When I know I am going to be doing a lot of manual labor, I take the diamond off and just wear my gold band.

A friend of dh's family actually made my ring (it's pretty simple ...just a band and a small diamond), and so I have 6 prongs on my ring instead of the usual 4, and it has a platinum setting that was "joined" and not glued into the gold ring. Unless I lose my entire ring, my diamond isn't going anywhere.

That's nice to know at least.

Misty

LoAnnie
02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
I've been married for 3 years, and I lost my engagement ring before we were married. We were still in college and had gone to several Christmas get-togethers in one night, then went out to eat. The next day, while running errands, I noticed it was gone. We looked everywhere, at every place we had gone that night and the apartment to no avail. We never found it. I'm lucky he still married me, but I still don't have a replacement.

LoAnnie

janelanespaintbrush
02-20-2007, 11:35 AM
You are so lucky to have found your setting! Thank goodness!

I haven't had a problem with my ring, but I've lost diamond stud earrings before. I switched from friction to screw backs but that didn't seem to change my luck. (One of the backs would decide to come off by itself every few years.) I didn't wear any earrings for a while but then I received my late Grandmother's pair, and I've been wearing them pretty regularly. It's scary because they are huge, very clean stones (not typical earring grade diamonds) -- I find myself checking them constantly to make sure they're screwed on tight. Funny thing is, I don't remember ever seeing her wear them (she always dressed very modestly), so I think they were probably for investment more than anything else. Still, I feel close to her when I wear them. And a little glamorous too. ;) I'm not sure whether I'd be more upset if I lost the earrings or my ring. I know they're just metal and mineral, but they've got lots of sentimental value.

itsazoo
02-20-2007, 01:20 PM
My husband had given me a pair of diamond earrings on our first xmas. I wore them everyday and never took them out. Four years later a chicken that I let sit on my shoulder plucked one out of my ear. I searched for hours and then called my husband fromt he barn to tell him what had happened. He come down with a flashlight and we searched for a few more hours (in the chicken stall amongst pine shavings and poo). We never found it. We decided that when the chicken died (of a natural death as we do not eat our chickens) we would check it crop to see if it was stuck in there. 2 years later a fox took that chicken and we never had a chance to check for it.

The moral of this story is never wear any earring you care about while a chicken is on you shoulder.

Ellieblue
02-20-2007, 02:08 PM
So I'm not the only one! Years ago. I was hanging out the laundry(we used to do that back in the old days) when I noticed the middle stone on my ring was missing. Like you, the first thing I did was call dh. then I freaked out and practically tore up the ground under the clothesline-not there- I went back into the house and saw this bright light on the floor next to the phone. There it was! like you I was lucky. But that's not the end of the story. One day while bowling I saw that it had happened again, but this time the whole setting had split open under the diamond. Luckely I saw it ahead of me on the lane. :happydance: As a jeweler by trade I would advise all our knitters that if they snag yarn on the prongs of their rings, have them checked . The prongs can be tightened and/or retipped. Ellie

mintdee
02-20-2007, 03:50 PM
That would be so scary! Thankfully I haven't lost my diamond yet. I take my diamond in every 6-8months for a cleaning and setting check so that if something does happen to it the company will replace it since I continue to have it checked.
Makes me want to have it checked now :doh:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

ecuzzacrea
02-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh wow - I'm so glad you found it!! That is some luck!

I'm an insurance agent so I have one too many stories on lost diamonds. It's so sad. :pout:

aethra
02-20-2007, 05:20 PM
After 20-something years, my mum lost a tiny diamond from her diamond-emerald engagement ring. The shop it had come from had gone out of business years ago, so they took it somewhere else for repair. On taking it for repair, she discovered...it wasn't really diamond! The emeralds were real, but the 'diamond's' were CZ! :pout:

Lucky my parents shopped together for her ring, else it might have put my dad in a nasty light... it was definitely sold to them as diamond & emerald...

I'm glad you found yours, Mrs C, your ring is absolutely beautiful!