PDA

View Full Version : Support Is A Great Thing

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I just want to say thank you to all of you wonderful people for all of the support. From my first crappy scarf project to the pair of socks I just finished tonight you folks have been nothing but kind and supportive. I really appreciate it.

There is nothing like a bit of positive reinforcement to make someone feel better about struggling with a new task or skill. It really, honestly makes a difference.

The fact that you all have a great sense of humor really helps too, as I do enjoy a bit of humor here and there, as I am sure most of you have already figured out.

This place really does have a community feel to it that is hard to find in this modern, cyberspace world and I really appreciate it. I'm glad to have stumbled across this wonderful little community. It's like turning down an unexplored road and finding a beautiful little town where the people are friendly and have the same interests as yourself.

Sorry if this is a little wordy. I guess it's genetic, being a descendant of Henry W. Longfellow and all that. :rofl:

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Mason,

I totally agree with your sentiments!

I have to say that I am totally addicted to this forum just because it is so supportive, regardless of the topic. My daughter simply doesn't understand. One day she will...

I hope you posted a picture of your finished socks in the Whatcha Knitting forum.

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Mason,

I totally agree with your sentiments!

I have to say that I am totally addicted to this forum just because it is so supportive, regardless of the topic. My daughter simply doesn't understand. One day she will...

I hope you posted a picture of your finished socks in the Whatcha Knitting forum.

Thanks Nathalie. I think the addiction to the forum comes solely from the great personalities that frequent it. (Except for mine of course. I'm like the annoying uncle that's always cracking bad jokes LOL)

And yes, I did post my finished socks.

five_six
02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Mason, it wasn't wordy at all, all the words were perfect... they are exactly how I feel. When my life gets in the way and i have to put myself on 'KH restrictions', you have no idea how antsy i get to get back in here!! And then feel guilty cause everything else starts to slip again :teehee:

I wish this forum was a little town somewhere where we all lived, cause then i could go next door and visit...

meearnol
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
five_six, I completely agree. I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've become completely addicted. There are so many great people on here, and it's such a wonderful distraction from all of the current stressors in my life.

And Mason, your socks rock my socks off!

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks Dee. I know exactly what you mean.

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 09:25 PM
And Mason, your socks rock my socks off!

:rofl: Thanks

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 09:29 PM
I wish this forum was a little town somewhere where we all lived, cause then i could go next door and visit...

I could totally see us meeting each week in a local LYS.

My dd makes fun of me, telling me I have no friends. I tell her that I have y'all. :muah:

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 09:35 PM

I could totally see us meeting each week in a local LYS.

My dd makes fun of me, telling me I have no friends. I tell her that I have y'all. :muah:

Friends are where you find them. Online friends are real people and are no less friends than the people we sit and have a cup of coffee with at a cafe.

Due to my trucking lifestyle I have friends all over the country. We keep in touch online and it's not unusual for us to meet up when I am in their part of the country for a cup of coffee, dinner, or a beer. Online people are real people and can be very good friends.

In another thread I mentioned that a friend sent me a computer during my recuperation time (14 months) following a car crash. He's an online friend from my blogging site. We've never actually met in person yet, but still we consider each other to be friends.

Cristy
02-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I agree too...my dh makes fun of me for how many posts I have (he should see Ingrid and Angelia's!!! and one of them whose name begins w/ an a joined up roughly around the same time as I did!! LOL!! on this forum...he has a similar forum he's been a part of for years and only has a few hundred posts...

Wouldn't that be neat...if we all had this little door in our houses where we could step into a "knitting world" with all of our kh friends?!?!?! The only downside would be that my children would forget what I look like...

Cristy
02-18-2007, 09:41 PM
wow...a triple post...sorry about that...

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
:rofl: Technology is great...when it works

Stiney
02-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh, it worked.

Really, really, really well. :rofl:

Cristy
02-18-2007, 09:57 PM
If you'll notice...I was editing posts...each one is slightly different (i'm anal like that)...I've never had it actually post all of my changes before...

and ya...it REALLY DID work! :)

and yes I know it's sad that I needed three revisions just to attempt to be humorous...

Ingrid
02-18-2007, 09:58 PM
wow...a triple post...sorry about that...

I took care of the extras. Trying to up your post count? :tap: :rofl:

I get teased about my number of posts. It kind of amazes me because I'm rather quiet in person. :shrug: Because of my schedule and responsibilities, though, I'd be a very lonely person without this site!

Knitting_Guy
02-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Don't feel bad Ingrid. On one forum I acquired the nickname Post Monster for some strange reason. :rofl:

auburnchick
02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Don't feel bad Ingrid. On one forum I acquired the nickname Post Monster for some strange reason. :rofl:

:roflhard:

Well, Ingrid, I'm not quiet in person...well, kind of, until you get to know me.

I'm actually surprised how quickly I got sucked into this. With my online college classes going, I never would have thought I would have time to post here.

So now I simply don't do grocery shopping, and we eat Ramen Noodles for dinner. :oops:

Jan in CA
02-18-2007, 10:45 PM
I agree, Mason! This is a great place and you are a wonderful addition to the group! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :hug:

snowbear
02-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Mason... You wordy!!!!!! :thinking: yep that fits, lol but we love your words.. on this and your blog.. when the blog is working... :grrr: anyway... socks are scary to me.. sweater was a piece of cake- from a mix... very simple.

I firmly believe you could do anything.. remember.. we have nothing to fear ....but fear itself.. to quote a very famous Pres....(It's almost President's Day)

Cristy
02-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Ingrid...I love you my dear! Thank you for taking care of my multiple posts...

and btw--to catch up w/ you and Angelina...I'd have to eat ramen like Auburnchick's family and sleep even less than the baby allows!!

Aquaria
02-19-2007, 12:47 AM
You're right Mason! :D That's one of the reasons why I come to this forum everyday!
People here are very kind and supportive, and they keep me up knitting when I feel frustrated. Sometimes this is even a good place to go when you are feeling depressed! My knitting wouldn't have gone this far without the fantastic people in this forum!
I would like to say thank you to everyone in this forum, too! You guys are just the nicest people in the world! :hug:

five_six
02-19-2007, 01:38 AM
I would like to say thank you to everyone in this forum, too! You guys are just the nicest people in the world! :hug:

Yeah, I am pretty cool aren't I!! :teehee:

dustinac
02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
:cheering: Yay!! I'm so glad you feel so welcome here.. and doing the happy dance for ya that you finished your socks :happydance:

I gotta tell ya something.. you are in a challenge and you didn't know it.. you are also the winner of this challenge :rofl: when I go home I always get my mom to knit.. she says she doesn't care for knitting well over Christmas something stuck cause now she is taking classes and ordering yarn.. and options.. and knitting more than I do :?? ... she says her goal is to do a pair of socks by herself.. she has done bed socks before but that was with me helping her... so I told her about you and how you went from one scarf to a sock.. then magic loop (trying to encourage her that she can do a sock by herself).. well she thought if he could do it I can do it too.. so she gets a sock pattern for 2 circs, toe up, 2 socks at one time :rofl: :roflhard: she hasn't figured out the CO to even start... and I can't help her cause I've never done it and its hard to see what she is doing over the phone... but I've had to laugh cause she will say how far is he on is socK?? Good, I still have tim to figure this out.. now where he is?? ohh I better hurry... :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
02-19-2007, 10:14 AM
:cheering: Yay!! I'm so glad you feel so welcome here.. and doing the happy dance for ya that you finished your socks :happydance:

I gotta tell ya something.. you are in a challenge and you didn't know it.. you are also the winner of this challenge :rofl: when I go home I always get my mom to knit.. she says she doesn't care for knitting well over Christmas something stuck cause now she is taking classes and ordering yarn.. and options.. and knitting more than I do :?? ... she says her goal is to do a pair of socks by herself.. she has done bed socks before but that was with me helping her... so I told her about you and how you went from one scarf to a sock.. then magic loop (trying to encourage her that she can do a sock by herself).. well she thought if he could do it I can do it too.. so she gets a sock pattern for 2 circs, toe up, 2 socks at one time :rofl: :roflhard: she hasn't figured out the CO to even start... and I can't help her cause I've never done it and its hard to see what she is doing over the phone... but I've had to laugh cause she will say how far is he on is socK?? Good, I still have tim to figure this out.. now where he is?? ohh I better hurry... :rofl:

That's pretty funny, but I'm glad I could help motivate her :rofl:

nadja la claire
02-19-2007, 12:26 PM
I think the addiction to the forum comes solely from the great personalities that frequent it. (Except for mine of course. I'm like the annoying uncle that's always cracking bad jokes LOL)

And yes, I did post my finished socks.

That's ok Mason, we love you anyway. BTW I had one of those uncles and I really miss his "bad jokes". :muah:

I agree with you when you talk about the personalities including yours. It's so easy to feel comfortable with everyone here.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

lauraknits
02-19-2007, 06:13 PM
I totally agree with what everyone has said, this is the best online community I have ever seen! It's a good thing I love to knit, otherwise I'd have to learn to knit just so I could hang out here with all of you!

Stiney
02-19-2007, 06:14 PM
I make horrible jokes, too.

What's brown and sticky?

A stick! :rofl:

aineepooh1
02-20-2007, 12:37 AM
WHAT WOULD REALLY BE COOL~~ IS IF WE COULD SCHEDULE A KH "KNIT IN" OR~ CONVENTION~~ :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :notworthy:

THAT WOULD BE ABSOULTELY FREAKIN' AWESOME~~WE COULD FINALLY MATCH FACES WITH OUR SCREEN NAMES~! :teehee:

imported_Knitty_Kat
02-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Congratulations on the finished pair of socks, Mason! *throws confetti* You're such a fast learner. I've been knitting for two years and just learned how to knit socks on DPNs not that long ago LOL I was one of those timid knitters for the longest time - scared to venture away from the scarves. But not you. You jumped right on in there and gave them a whirl. That's so awesome.

I know what you mean about the support. I frequent this forum and another you just can't beat online knitters. I've never had anyone make fun of my FOs or make me feel dumb for asking a question. :cheering: